or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone destroys Samsung in South Korean customer satisfaction rankings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone destroys Samsung in South Korean customer satisfaction rankings

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
A customer satisfaction survey ranking smartphones features and desirability in South Korea awarded Apple's iPhone 5s a widening lead over domestic rivals including LG, Samsung and Pantech.

Korean phone rankings 2014


Marketing Insight, a South Korean firm that tracks users satisfaction rankings across a variety of factors, compared Apple's iPhone 5s against Samsung's latest Galaxy S5, LG G Pro2, Nexus 5 and other models. While Apple overall was significantly above average across every category, Samsung was ranked below average in design, display, processing speed, multimedia speed, size and weight, usability, response to touch, latest tech and UI design.

Korean phone rankings 2014


Samsung's new Galaxy S5 flagship was ranked below iPhone 5s across the board, but it also came in below average in comparison to other Android products in terms of design, and ended up in sixth place overall, behind 2012's iPhone 5, the last two generations of LG's G2 flagship and the Google-branded Nexus 5, which is also built by LG.

Korean phone rankings 2014


The survey involved 9,397 consumers who purchased a smartphone during the 6 months between October 2013 and April 2014. "The gap of satisfaction between Apple and domestic products has rather increased," noted a report by the Korean language Ohmy News.

"The satisfaction score of Apple products was 798 out of 1000," the site noted, "which made Apple take the first place with almost 200 points of gap between domestic products. LG, Samsung and Pantech had gained 609, 600, and 577 respectively, which are of more or less the same score."

The survey noted that nearly 90 percent of iPhone users reported being "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with their purchase, while only about 50 percent of domestic makers got a similar ranking.

The site quoted Marketing Insight as observing, "Considering that the products satisfaction usually decreases as the longer time has based since the product released, the score of iPhone 5s is amazing."

The report further noted, "Galaxy S5 obtained a humiliating result as it failed to get ahead of LG G Pro2 in any sector in the comparison between the representative models of Samsung and LG, released this year."

Samsung recently sacked its head of mobile design in the wake of the Galaxy S5's cool reception. The company took great pains to cherry pick lines from lines from lackluster reviews for its latest ad, and failed to impress users with a company blog posting describing the phone's inspiration."We're winning with our products in all the ways that are most important to us: in customer satisfaction, in product usage and in customer loyalty" Tim Cook

Apple takes great pride in reporting awards for customer satisfaction, including its first place standings in the latests American rankings by J.D. Power and Associates, which listed iPhone as the top smartphone on all four top U.S. carriers and iPad highest in overall consumer satisfaction for tablets.

Last October, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook stated, "We're winning with our products in all the ways that are most important to us: in customer satisfaction, in product usage and in customer loyalty," drawing a contrast with the market share and volume shipment or activation numbers focused upon by Apple's critics and competitors.
post #2 of 40
Heh.
post #3 of 40

All the money spent overseas, they forgot to bribe the government enough at home…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #4 of 40

Wow, Samsung not much better than Pantech? So sad.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply
post #5 of 40

Home country!

 

I still remember one of the greatest Apple Videos says : Does it deserve to exist?

That is all I can say.

post #6 of 40

Somewhere there are Samsung fanboys saying all in unison.... "But..but...but... just wait the the Galaxy S1759 comes out in the year 2197.  That will put Apple it its place!!!"

Billions of dollars in advertising, and all they could do is get 6th place?  I'm waiting to see what the Samscum lapdogs say to spin this as Apple being doomed - yet again.

post #7 of 40

This is extremely embarrassing for Samsung, and in their home country of all places. That's just pouring salt on the wound, and I love it!:lol: 

 

Samsung's revenue is equal to 17% of the entire GDP of South Korea! They practically own South Korea! And this is a pretty decent sized survey too, with a nice sample size of over 9k people.

 

I am extremely glad that so many Android users are dissatisfied with their phones. I bet that many of them will make a wiser choice next time.:smokey: 

post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

Heh.

 

You make an interesting and thought provoking argument, that's presented in a very logical and eloquent manner, but unfortunately, I disagree with your point of view.

post #9 of 40
Maybe S. Korea should start a dictatorship like N. Korea and then I'll bet Samdung will prevail..
LMAOOOOOOO
post #10 of 40

iPhone 5S gets 83% for 'UI design'; iPhone 5 gets 76%.

 

It's the exact same UI...

post #11 of 40
... and so much for the common analyst and pundit knowledge that you need humongous phones with fake-colored OLED scum displays and fancy band aid colors to win customers in Asia.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All the money spent overseas, they forgot to bribe the government enough at home…

You may remember that Samsung did manage to bribe the government to keep the iPhone from being sold in Korea for a while, but once it was able to be sold, it quickly rose to the top of the satisfaction and sales charts.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #13 of 40
I wonder how the trolls will spin this ??
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

... and so much for the common analyst and pundit knowledge that you need humongous phones with fake-colored OLED scum displays and fancy band aid colors to win customers in Asia.

So, then why does Wall Street claim Apple won't continue to exist without Steve Jobs running the company?  There are analysts that flat-out say unless the iPhone can keep up with the latest Android smartphones there's no hope for the company.  Supposedly, the iPhone's 3.5" display is killing sales and the main cause for Apple's rapid loss in market share.  There is absolutely something wrong with what is being said by the news media and tech pundits and the reality of the situation of Apple's iPhone business.  It's definitely being claimed that most consumers positively hate smartphones with smaller displays, but this survey would seem to show otherwise.  It's hard to tell who's telling the truth until actual earnings are announced.  From my experience I would say most consumers buy Android smartphones because they're more affordable or more available than iPhones and not necessarily because they're in love with all things Android.  However, Wall Street isn't convinced about Android's weaknesses because they only see major market share as the most important metric for measuring the value of smartphones.

post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

iPhone 5S gets 83% for 'UI design'; iPhone 5 gets 76%.

 

It's the exact same UI...

But the responsiveness of the 5S is noticeably better than the 5. Add in the increased functionality of touchID. 

post #16 of 40
Samsung can fool some of the people some of the time. They are on the slippery slope to oblivion
post #17 of 40

Actually what's almost more amazing than the 5s is actually the iPhone 5.

Why?

The observation made by Marketing Insight.  Satisfaction is supposed to drop the longer time has passed since it released.

Look at the release dates and the iPhone 5 is by far the oldest handset of the bunch but it's satisfaction rating is 2nd! and by a comfortable margin to boot.  

post #18 of 40
So, why doesn't the main stream media report this?
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So, why doesn't the main stream media report this?


The Main Stream Media = PROTÉGÉ of VILLAIN
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

iPhone 5S gets 83% for 'UI design'; iPhone 5 gets 76%.

It's the exact same UI...

iPhone 5 survey was done earlier, so it pertains to iOS 6. iOS 7 shipped alongside new iPhones last fall
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post
 

Home country!

 

I still remember one of the greatest Apple Videos says : Does it deserve to exist?

That is all I can say.

 

That's not all you could say, that's all you needed to say lol.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #22 of 40
Touché! ‎
post #23 of 40

I didn't know they made 6th place ribbons Samsung

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

iPhone 5S gets 83% for 'UI design'; iPhone 5 gets 76%.

 

It's the exact same UI...

What makes you think TouchID is not UI?

post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I wonder how the trolls will spin this ??

 

They all conveniently missed this article, somehow. But it's just a strangle coincidence. :D

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

So, then why does Wall Street claim Apple won't continue to exist without Steve Jobs running the company?  There are analysts that flat-out say unless the iPhone can keep up with the latest Android smartphones there's no hope for the company.  Supposedly, the iPhone's 3.5" display is killing sales and the main cause for Apple's rapid loss in market share.  There is absolutely something wrong with what is being said by the news media and tech pundits and the reality of the situation of Apple's iPhone business.  It's definitely being claimed that most consumers positively hate smartphones with smaller displays, but this survey would seem to show otherwise.  It's hard to tell who's telling the truth until actual earnings are announced.  From my experience I would say most consumers buy Android smartphones because they're more affordable or more available than iPhones and not necessarily because they're in love with all things Android.  However, Wall Street isn't convinced about Android's weaknesses because they only see major market share as the most important metric for measuring the value of smartphones.

Why ?? If I knew that then I'd be rich. But I don't so I'm not :(

 

The comments from analysts are worthless (mostly) with regard to Apple because Wall Street continues to believe that Apple works the same way that other companies do. It does in part, but a lot is different and WS does not have the humility to recognize that it can't bully its way into getting the information it wants. As happens with all other companies (at least, as far as I know). So the analysts get ticked off and write click-bait headlines. Which gets them page-views but no credibility.

 

As far as earnings are concerned - no need to wait. Apple's were pretty good. Samsung's - not so much. Nothing more need be said. A side note - Samsung fired its design chief because of poor sales of the Galaxy S5. Oh dear.

 

Wall Street looks at market share because that's the way it has always done things. For the most part it has not noticed that the rules changed. Samsung might sell more phones but how much ongoing revenue does it get? Analysts pontificate that "Apple is only in the hardware business" but that is demonstrably false. Apple has a substantial revenue stream from iPhone users but - more importantly - so do developers. And developers are going to go where the money is - more quickly than Apple or Samsung would move. The last time I looked I think that revenue to developers from Apple's app store were about four times that of all others combined. Oh, and the developer conference (WWDC) next month is so oversold that they had to resort to a lottery system to allocate tickets. I wonder how many attended the Google/Android/Samsung developer conferences?

post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So, why doesn't the main stream media report this?

Because it doesn't fit their narrative.

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #28 of 40
If half of my customers were dissatisfied with my product, i'd be really concerned and on top of that those dissatisfied customers are probably very upset about the bill of goods they have been sold. generally its very hard to get such a customer to buy again. This does not bode well for repeat buys.
post #29 of 40
When the iPhone came out people said the screen was too big. Customers are so fickle.
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So, why doesn't the main stream media report this?

 

Because Apple is doomed to failure, remember? This would go against that line of thinking. Only bad/negative stories are allowed!

 

On another note, I just had a friend who had switched to a Samsung Galaxy phone from an iPhone and then was bitching up storm the other day saying how much of a POS his Samsung phone was....locking up, constantly running out of memory, horrid battery life, etc. Then he wished he had his iPhone back and now says he can't wait for iPhone 6 to arrive. These are the exact same issues I had with my Samsung Galaxy phone and that was back with the original Samsung Galaxy phone, not the current Galaxy 4S. So judging by the complaints above, in the 2 or 3 yrs after I got rid of mine they've fixed/changed nothing to make the phone better. 


Edited by macxpress - 5/11/14 at 8:13am

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #31 of 40
Possibly the cause of this heart attack: http://bbc.com/news/business-27361162

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Samsung can fool some of the people some of the time. They are on the slippery slope to oblivion

I'd take these polls with a grain of salt on top of it.

According to this one, they are doing quite good on US soil... probably much more important market than homeland. A few points behind Apple, but hardly meaningful difference:

"http://************/2014/04/24/apple-tops-j-d-powers-2014-survey-in-smartphone-satisfaction-across-all-carriers/"

Personally I don't like their design at all, and would much rather choose HTC or Sony, should I be looking for Android phone... but it appears all that marketing they have invested in for US market is doing them some good, at least.

Edit: ouch, AI is masking part of link... replace asterisks with "9 t o 5 m a c . c o m"
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

iPhone 5S gets 83% for 'UI design'; iPhone 5 gets 76%.

 

It's the exact same UI...

 

Hardware controls can be considered part of "UI design", in which case the 5S offers the unique Touch ID feature.


Edited by freediverx - 5/12/14 at 4:06am
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

So, then why does Wall Street claim Apple won't continue to exist without Steve Jobs running the company?  There are analysts that flat-out say unless the iPhone can keep up with the latest Android smartphones there's no hope for the company.  Supposedly, the iPhone's 3.5" display is killing sales and the main cause for Apple's rapid loss in market share.  There is absolutely something wrong with what is being said by the news media and tech pundits and the reality of the situation of Apple's iPhone business.  It's definitely being claimed that most consumers positively hate smartphones with smaller displays, but this survey would seem to show otherwise.  It's hard to tell who's telling the truth until actual earnings are announced.  From my experience I would say most consumers buy Android smartphones because they're more affordable or more available than iPhones and not necessarily because they're in love with all things Android.  However, Wall Street isn't convinced about Android's weaknesses because they only see major market share as the most important metric for measuring the value of smartphones.

 

Stop thinking of Wall Street as an authority on anything. Wall Street is a gigantic casino with everyone focused on maximizing their profits on daily trades. To that end, Wall Street analysts routinely manipulate the market to their own benefit, with little regard for the truth and little accountability.

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So, why doesn't the main stream media report this?

 

The answer lies somewhere between incompetence and payola.

post #36 of 40
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Hardware controls can be considered part of "UI design", in which case the 5S offers the unique Touch ID feature.

 

I’m not sure how… It’s UX, not UI.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #37 of 40

I'm almost certain that Samsung got bad reviews because their fingerprint reader and heart rate monitor suck. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when something on your phone doesn't work, even if you rarely use it. 

post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

I’m not sure how… It’s UX, not UI.

UI Design-wise, I would say the ability to set fingerprints and authorize iTunes purchases with your finger is the only major software related difference between iOS6 and iOS7. That (and as someone else mentioned, the speed of the app, especially when it comes to the camera) could account for the bump in satisfaction. 

post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

iPhone 5S gets 83% for 'UI design'; iPhone 5 gets 76%.

 

It's the exact same UI...

You think "Touch ID" is a hardware only, not software, so it's not UI, LOL?

post #40 of 40
Asian consumers, Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese in particular, have a long history of appreciating quality. The greatest compliment of a western exporter is to have the quality of his goods accepted in these markets.
In the US, price and the hollow quest for a good deal takes precedence. US consumers hate when a company states and sticks to a price. The first competitor breaking in with a lower price will always be welcomed, no matter.

Time to recall the wise words of famous John Ruskin:
«is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.»

and

«It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.»

*) John Ruskin, 1819 %u2013 1900, see wikipedia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone destroys Samsung in South Korean customer satisfaction rankings
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone destroys Samsung in South Korean customer satisfaction rankings