or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says - Page 9

post #321 of 599

Apple will hire him as the new chief of industrial design, since the current chief of industrial design has run out of ideas for innovation.

post #322 of 599
The price tag is high. There's no doubt about that. But this deal can't be worse than Google buying Motorola for $12.5 billion and selling the company for $2.9 billion and barely breaking even on the deal in the process.
post #323 of 599
I still haven't seen a picture of Lenin's corpse wearing Beats headphones. C'mon Internet, make it happen.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #324 of 599

.

post #325 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
 

 

The story is all deeper.  Companies don't spend a billion dollars without putting some thought into it.   The "layers" here are the most interesting thing.  You've got a urban music luminary,  an influential exec and a young but solid core team that is currently curating music well.   The real question is what Beats Electronics has in the pipeline whether it be software, hardware or just great ideas that meshed well with Apple. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

It's funny how we all think we know better than Apple at what they should be doing, etc., when we really don't know what it is that they're planning.

post #326 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That's a very ignorant statement.
 
music |ˈmyo͞ozik|
noun
1 vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Why don't you think it's music?

 

You may wish to check your quoted definition again: "...such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."

 

Rap and hip-hop fulfill none of the above criteria, of course.

 

But the best of all is when some benighted person screams "racist" and forgets that virtually every rap or hip-hop MTV videoclip out there shows zero white people (even though white Bentleys are commonplace)...go figure.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #327 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I have no idea if it's only a US thing…

edit: I just checked 5 other countries and the iPhone 5S comes with PodPhones. Assuming I did the countries code right I checked: Spain, UK, Australia, Brazil, and Czech Republic..

 

You're absolutely right - I don't know what the heck he is talking about.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #328 of 599

deleted

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #329 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

Racist much? What makes him unqualified to be an Apple exec outside the color of his skin?
You tell me. You mentioned his skin color, not me. If Tim Cook said he was hiring Dave Grohl as a special advisor I'd say the same thing.
post #330 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

1.  Beats is a global phenomenon with over 60% of the premium headphone market.
2.  People from all walks of life young and old choose to enjoy and have fun with Beats headphones.
3.  From John Doe on the NYC Subway to lots of multi millionaires, athletes choose Beats headphones.
4.  Beats is similar to Apple in many ways and Apple will most likely buy Beats for $3.2B, so get with the program.
5.  ...
5. Apple taking a page out of Samsung's playbook and trying to buy "cool".

If you think Beats and Apple are similar you're basically saying Apple makes overpriced crap that only sells because of design/marketing/hype. So maybe then we need to add a number 6...

6. Tim Cook is signaling to the world that Apple is no longer a technology company, they are a fashion company. They're not concerned about making the best products but selling fashionable, trendy items they can make a lot of money off of.

Of course I'm still hopeful this doesn't happen, or if it does it's because of something none of us are seeing. Sure people want to see Apple get into new product categories but I don't think overpriced headphones worn by celebrities was on the top of their list. If Apple has to spend $3B to buy some cool then the company is in some serious trouble.
post #331 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Dr Dre is going to be an Apple executive. Cook has lost his fucking mind. 1oyvey.gif

Racist much? What makes him unqualified to be an Apple exec outside the color of his skin?

Shut up and go away.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #332 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


5. Apple taking a page out of Samsung's playbook and trying to buy "cool".

If you think Beats and Apple are similar you're basically saying Apple makes overpriced crap that only sells because of design/marketing/hype. So maybe then we need to add a number 6...

6. Tim Cook is signaling to the world that Apple is no longer a technology company, they are a fashion company. They're not concerned about making the best products but selling fashionable, trendy items they can make a lot of money off of.

Of course I'm still hopeful this doesn't happen, or if it does it's because of something none of us are seeing. Sure people want to see Apple get into new product categories but I don't think overpriced headphones worn by celebrities was on the top of their list. If Apple has to spend $3B to buy some cool then the company is in some serious trouble.

 

The mere fact that Apple feels the need to buy Beats in order to look "cool" (even though Apple itself has been the epitome of "cool" for the last 40 years) shows how off-the-mark Cook is on that moronic purchase.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #333 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The mere fact that Apple feels the need to buy Beats in order to look "cool" (even though Apple itself has been the epitome of "cool" for the last 40 years) shows how off-the-mark Cook is on that moronic purchase.
And why I'm hoping its something else and not the "cool" factor. But I'm struggling to see what that something else is. Because there doesn't seem to be much outside of the celebrity endorsed overpriced headphones. I can't believe Jimmy Iovine and his connections within the music industry are worth $3B.
post #334 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You may wish to check your quoted definition again: "...such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."

Rap and hip-hop fulfill none of the above criteria, of course.

There are those that don't think Schoenberg's work is music either. It certainly doesn't fit that definition. I would assume you are one of them? I don't like his work nor rap but I'd hesitate to claim to be able to define what is or isn't music based upon my personal taste.
Edited by digitalclips - 5/11/14 at 6:38am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #335 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


And why I'm hoping its something else and not the "cool" factor. But I'm struggling to see what that something else is. Because there doesn't seem to be much outside of the celebrity endorsed overpriced headphones. I can't believe Jimmy Iovine and his connections within the music industry are worth $3B.

 

I am also struggling to see anything else apart from the "Miley Cyrus uses it" bit. Streaming service? Gimme a break and buy Spotify instead.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #336 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I am also struggling to see anything else apart from the "Miley Cyrus uses it" bit. Streaming service? Gimme a break and buy Spotify instead.

I am not saying this to you alone, but to all those stating Apple should not have purchased Beats:

Has it occurred to all those who 'know this was a bad move' that the team running what is possibly the world's most successful company ever, might know more than you about why the bought Beats? I'd be inclined to wait a little while before potentially committing yourself to Dvorakian level embarrassment in the annals of on-line history.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #337 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And why I'm hoping its something else and not the "cool" factor. But I'm struggling to see what that something else is. Because there doesn't seem to be much outside of the celebrity endorsed overpriced headphones. I can't believe Jimmy Iovine and his connections within the music industry are worth $3B.

Many on line commentators are starting to wonder if there are Beat products we don't know about yet and tie-ins with Apple's new products we don't know about yet ... which all seems to come down to there is a lot about all of this we don't know about yet ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #338 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

You may wish to check your quoted definition again: "...such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."

 

Rap and hip-hop fulfill none of the above criteria, of course.

 

But the best of all is when some benighted person screams "racist" and forgets that virtually every rap or hip-hop MTV videoclip out there shows zero white people (even though white Bentleys are commonplace)...go figure.

Your comments are closed minded and prejudiced. Music is a continuously changing art form. Art by its very nature is expressive. You may not appreciate an artist's work but that doesn't mean it is not art. 

 

Some people attribute the first rap song to actually play on the radio to a white female. Check out Rapture by Blondie 

http://vimeo.com/24801226

 

Also, I believe you mentioned you have a connection to Brasil so you might relate to this artist:

Emicida, especially the track: Outras Palavras.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnqjUkJ7N0

 

It has a solid mix of traditional Brasillian jazz and American style rap. Emicida was recently featured on NPR (National Public Radio) in the States.


Edited by mstone - 5/11/14 at 8:23am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #339 of 599
If rumours are true, Apple is paying 2x 2013 revenues for Beats. The armchair quarterbacking going on here is hilarious, especially since we don't know all the details yet.
post #340 of 599

This tweet pretty much says it all. Sigh. My guess is within a year Phil Schiller will no longer be running marketing.

 

@brianshall: Samsung's attack ads worked. They made Apple seem uncool.  Apple execs *panicked* over this. Beats buy an attempt to buy cool.
 
Original Message:

Edited by Rogifan - 5/11/14 at 7:28am
post #341 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
 

This tweet pretty much says it all. Sigh. My guess is within a year Phil Schiller will no longer be running marketing.

 

@brianshall: Samsung's attack ads worked. They made Apple seem uncool.  Apple execs *panicked* over this. Beats buy an attempt to buy cool.
 
Original Message:

 

OMG.  You're a Samsung Android fan.  That explains it all.  lol

If you think Apple is making a mistake buying Beats they you should be happy.

But then you have to go back to Google buying Nest. :)


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 5/11/14 at 8:19am
post #342 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And why I'm hoping its something else and not the "cool" factor. But I'm struggling to see what that something else is. Because there doesn't seem to be much outside of the celebrity endorsed overpriced headphones. I can't believe Jimmy Iovine and his connections within the music industry are worth $3B.

Still struggling after three days and how many posts of mental/emotional handwringing?

Watch the Jimmy Iovine interview with Walt Mossberg again and listen carefully. If you don't see the workings of a mind that understands media culture at the highest level—and one with 40 years experience at the front lines of generational change,—if you don't see that then you are showing yourself again to be incapable of rational thought. I say "again" because of your usual MO here: doubt and worry where there should be analysis.

Iovine gives you plenty of material to work on with his doctrine of "the next song" and "the new kid out there." The guy is way smarter than the industry he's in, and it's no surprise that he and Dre have the most iconic headphones out there for that kid, despite the fact that the hardware needs improvement. Apple is acquiring the future wearable audio industry, not just the cool, for a mere 3.2 B, along with the curated sound track.

Edit: to be fair, I should say "incapable of rational thought at times," because of course you aren't always so mired in negativity as you have been over this deal. Studies done on conservatives show their brains are wired to reject the novel and unfamiliar because of connections to the amygdalas, which tend to be larger. My experience has been that they eventually come around to new ideas.
Edited by Flaneur - 5/11/14 at 7:59am
post #343 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This tweet pretty much says it all. Sigh. My guess is within a year Phil Schiller will no longer be running marketing.

@brianshall: Samsung's attack ads worked. They made Apple seem uncool.  Apple execs *panicked* over this. Beats buy an attempt to buy cool.
 
Original Message:
http://twitter.com/brianshall/status/465376357573083136

I wouldn't let anything written and limited to 147 characters "say it all"
Chin-up there.
Sigh
post #344 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You may wish to check your quoted definition again: "...such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."

Rap and hip-hop fulfill none of the above criteria, of course.

There are those that don't think Schoenberg's work is music either. It certainly doesn't fit that definition. I would assume you are one of them? I don't like his work nor rap but I'd hesitate to claim to be able to define what is or isn't music based upon my personal taste.

I can understand you not liking Schoenberg, particularly his atonal music which made him famous. However, his early works are amazing - lush, late Romanticism.

Regarding your point about definitions: speaking for myself, I am talking in absolutes, as people do when they generalise. There are always exceptions to the rule. There is plenty of classical music which I wouldn't define as such - and jazz and pop and rock etc. There is some rap and hip hop which I've enjoyed. Overwhelmingly, though, I hate the stuff, particularly rap, which is missing a 'c' at the beginning.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #345 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I can understand you not liking Schoenberg, particularly his atonal music which made him famous. However, his early works are amazing - lush, late Romanticism.

Regarding your point about definitions: speaking for myself, I am talking in absolutes, as people do when they generalise. There are always exceptions to the rule. There is plenty of classical music which I wouldn't define as such - and jazz and pop and rock etc. There is some rap and hip hop which I've enjoyed. Overwhelmingly, though, I hate the stuff, particularly rap, which is missing a 'c' at the beginning.

I totally agree with everything you say here. We are both are intelligent enough to know we are talking about our own tastes. My comments to which you replied were aimed at this:



"...such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."


Yes I was specifically referring to the atonal works of Schoenberg to rebut the definition of 'music' above, I should have been more specific.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #346 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You tell me. You mentioned his skin color, not me. If Tim Cook said he was hiring Dave Grohl as a special advisor I'd say the same thing.

I'm not the one that said he's unqualified. He's obviously a very smart and successful business man.
post #347 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You bring up an interesting point: When does business trump human rights violations?

2) I don't know of Dre being homophobic but I do recall Eminem had a small issue where he used the word faggot in one of his songs. It's clearly not referring to someone who is attracted to someone of the same sex and he's stated that but people still got offended. Snoop Dogg Lion, on the other hand, has stated that homosexualit doesn't belong in hip hop and that he doubts we'll see any gay rappers (which is funny because there are plenty whether he knows it or not), but as of just a couple weeks ago he has completely changed his position. Did work come down from on high that he needs to publicly change his stance?

3) The more poor the community the less accepting they tend to be of homosexuals. Could Tim Cook be using this as a way to appeal to change? I don't think so but I think it's worth considering.
1- ask the clippers and NBA

Look- private or public, if you act like an idiot dropping "n bombs" and f-bombs- you don't need to be in senior management of apple. Iovine, fine. Dre is a big ole fat no.

2- interesting

3- ? Odd "point". He works in the best interest of shareholders and AAPL- this isn't a private company. If it were- he's more than welcome to hire whoever to impact culture change. But it isn't his company, and he would (and should) be fired over that. That's why I highly highly doubt that could even be close to true.
Edited by Andysol - 5/11/14 at 8:00am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #348 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

1- ask the clippers and NBA

Look- private or public, if you act like an idiot dropping "n bombs" and f-bombs- you don't need to be in senior management of apple. Iovine, fine. Dre (or eminem so I don't get called a racist) is a big ole fat no.
2- interesting
3- ? Odd "point". He works in the best interest of shareholders and AAPL- this isn't a private company. If it were- he's more than welcome to hire whoever to impact culture change. But it isn't his company, and he would (and should) be fired over that. That's why I highly highly doubt that could even be close to true.

This from 1997. He seems to me to be a pretty smart guy not an idiot at all . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOsLMpphQ_M
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #349 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Still struggling after three days and how many posts of mental/emotional handwringing?

Watch the Jimmy Iovine interview with Walt Mossberg again and listen carefully. If you don't see the workings of a mind that understands media culture at the highest level—and one with 40 years experience at the front lines of generational change,—if you don't see that then you are showing yourself again to be incapable of rational thought. I say "again" because of your usual MO here: doubt and worry where there should be analysis.

Iovine gives you plenty of material to work on with his doctrine of "the next song" and "the new kid out there." The guy is way smarter than the industry he's in, and it's no surprise that he and Dre have the most iconic headphones out there for that kid, despite the fact that the hardware needs improvement. Apple is acquiring the future wearable audio industry, not just the cool, for a mere 3.2 B, along with the curated sound track.

Edit: to be fair, I should say "incapable of rational thought at times," because of course you aren't always so mired in negativity as you have been over this deal. Studies done on conservatives show their brains are wired to reject the novel and unfamiliar because of connections to the amygdalas, which tend to be larger. My experience has been that they eventually come around to new ideas.
I watched that video; doesn't change my opinion. Maybe if Iovine comes on full time and runs iTunes (Eddy Cue is obviously struggling to get a Spotify competitor or something even better off the ground) it will make more sense. But if he's just hired to be a special advisor to Tim Cook I don't get it.

Also I don't see anything novel or unconventional about this. I agree with Ben Bajarin who said on his latest podcast that music seems so last decade. It almost seems as if Apple is looking backwards to when iPods and those silhouette ads were all the rage and trying to get some of that coolness back. The biggest negative stereotype about Apple (and one that I DO NOT share) is that it's all style and no substance; that people buy Apple products because of slick design/marketing/packaging not because the product is superior. That is the epitome of Beats. Iovine may be one of the most brilliant men in the entertainment industry but Beats success so far is purely style over substance. Is that what Apple wants to be associated with?
post #350 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

Keep in mind that it's sill a rumor. But if it is a fact, Dr. Dre runs a pretty profitable company.  He's a successful business man.  He would not be an executive but he "may" become a member of the board. This move appeases  those who have made an observation that their are not many minorities or women in Apple's Board of Directors.  At a cost of $3billion, chump change for Apple, having a successful African American in the Board reflects Apples DNA. For those of you who are prepared to bring up all this negativity  about Dr. Dre...let's be honest Apple has had its share as well. My fellow critics, I challenge you and build a business worth $3 Billion. 

Yes- he has helped grow several successful companies. So has Donald trump. So has Donald sterling. Success for one company doesn't mean success for Apple. If you HAVE to hire a black person for apples board- there are several candidates that conduct themselves in a manner that is up to the standards of apple. Fiona Gathwright is one that comes to mind and ties in with the health push.

Dre is not a good fit at all in my opinion. Hate this rumor of him being on the board more than the rumor of buying beats.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #351 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Yes- he has helped grow several successful companies. So has Donald trump. So has Donald sterling. Success for one company doesn't mean success for Apple. If you HAVE to hire a black person for apples board- there are several candidates that conduct themselves in a manner that is up to the standards of apple. Fiona Gathwright is one that comes to mind and ties in with the health push.

Dre is not a good fit at all in my opinion. Hate this rumor of him being on the board more than the rumor of buying beats.

Out of interest, do you like and approve of all the current board members?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #352 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I watched that video; doesn't change my opinion. Maybe if Iovine comes on full time and runs iTunes (Eddy Cue is obviously struggling to get a Spotify competitor or something even better off the ground) it will make more sense. But if he's just hired to be a special advisor to Tim Cook I don't get it.

Also I don't see anything novel or unconventional about this. I agree with Ben Bajarin who said on his latest podcast that music seems so last decade. It almost seems as if Apple is looking backwards to when iPods and those silhouette ads were all the rage and trying to get some of that coolness back. The biggest negative stereotype about Apple (and one that I DO NOT share) is that it's all style and no substance; that people buy Apple products because of slick design/marketing/packaging not because the product is superior. That is the epitome of Beats. Iovine may be one of the most brilliant men in the entertainment industry but Beats success so far is purely style over substance. Is that what Apple wants to be associated with?

It is fascinating to follow your train of thought. You imagine a scenario and what scenario follows that scenario and get upset at the outcome you imagine for the resulting scenario ....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #353 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is fascinating to follow your train of thought. You imagine a scenario and what scenario follows that scenario and get upset at the outcome you imagine for the resulting scenario ....
Beats is style over substance. That's not a scenario I'm imagining. If Apple wants to be associated with that, then fine. I just don't think its a good idea.
post #354 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Out of interest, do you like and approve of all the current board members?

Not Al Gore. Levinson, iger, and Jung are absolutely my favorites. The others are solid. Don't really know much about sugar.

Edit: I dislike al gore because he's a politician on a board- not as a person or a politician necessarily. My opinion- politicians are told what to do since the beginning of their runs and are molded into these fake things by corporate interests and political parties. I think they add nothing to the boards of companies. I'd much rather have a person who started a company from scratch and created success on their own laurels and through smart hires or strategies.
Edited by Andysol - 5/11/14 at 8:38am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #355 of 599
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
Ive been playing with the Beats app for a while, and I discovered a new sound: It's a transvestite country band called the Chicksie Dix.
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post
this can't be real.

 

Hey, my response responded for me.

 

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
I still haven't seen a picture of Lenin's corpse wearing Beats headphones. C'mon Internet, make it happen.

 

Rule 34, section B, paragraph 1: There is porn of it, and there is also some other manner of image manipulation of it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #356 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Not Al Gore. Levinson, iger, and Jung are absolutely my favorites. The others are solid. Don't really know much about sugar.

Edit: I dislike al gore because he's a politician on a board- not as a person or a politician necessarily. My opinion- politicians are told what to do since the beginning of their runs and are molded into these fake things by corporate interests and political parties. I think they add nothing to the boards of companies. I'd much rather have a person who started a company from scratch and created success on their own laurels and through smart hires or strategies.

Off topic sorry ... I wonder about Bill Campbell visa vis his company's ability to even have a half decent version of their software running on OS X ... after how many years ...? Obviously a board member doesn't have to have OS X software (before some smart person claims i mean that) but as he does, perhaps it should be at least up to par with a Windows version. Wouldn't you think?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #357 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apologies in advance ...

I've been playing with the Beats app for a while, and I discovered a new sound:

It's a transvestite country band called the Chicksie Dix.

Are they looking for a new member? (Absolutely NO pun intended) ... I bet the Eurovision Song contest winner will be in great demand ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #358 of 599
I am shocked that it's 2014, decades since it was formed from its origins in funk, soul, and other sources, that there are people that still claim that rap isn't music. Your losses. You're all missing out on a wonderfully imaginative form of self expression and creative musical sounds.

I think this is the best song off the best album of the 21st century, bar none, and I say that as someone that thinks Kanye is a grade-A tool.



Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You may wish to check your quoted definition again: "...such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."

Rap and hip-hop fulfill none of the above criteria, of course.

So the song I posted is not music, just unorganized noises? They the word harmony in their name and I find it fine it very melodic and catchy so how is hear no melody, no harmonizes, no expression of emotion (it's about the death of someone close to them), and hear nothing but noise?
Quote:
But the best of all is when some benighted person screams "racist" and forgets that virtually every rap or hip-hop MTV videoclip out there shows zero white people (even though white Bentleys are commonplace)...go figure.

1) So to not be racist rap videos needs to show a bunch of white people? WTF kind of logic is that?

2) White Bentleys are commonplace? What does the colour of an automobile have to do with anything or are you saying that only "white" people should be allowed to own Bentleys?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #359 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post


I'm not the one that said he's unqualified. He's obviously a very smart and successful business man.

 

I always love it when people with this US mindset of "if you are successful in business you are good to have" try to justify taking on board individuals like Iovine and "Dre" (whatever his real name is) - Mr Browett was also very "successful" bank account-wise; yet he proved to be a total failure for the Apple Retail experience. It's almost as if Calvinism is the ruling principle in everything that takes place in the US.

 

So please stop assuming that if someone strikes it rich that someone is the best for a given company - we're talking here about paying 3 billion USD for a mediocre headphone maker whose cool factor is way, way, way below that of Apple itself (well, at least until Cook took the helm). So unless their streaming service is TRULY superior to any other, there is little reason in paying that much for a bunch of cans.

 

And yes: as a Brazilian I can easily point you to great stuff such as MPB, Bossa Nova, traditional country music, Bebel Gilberto, Tom Jobim, some of the best lounge music in the world and so on - but Emicida is not, in my view, part of that group. While respecting him as an individual, I can almost assure you that US/European showbiz probably likes him for the "protest" or "socially-aware" content of his productions; after all, that's what rap/hip-hop are: expressions of protest through non-melodical spoken word and pre-recorded background samples...until they become too rich to continue "singing" about slums and ghettos, of course.  

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #360 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This from 1997. He seems to me to be a pretty smart guy not an idiot at all . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOsLMpphQ_M

It sounds like sour grapes to me when someone can be a self-made millionaire, not even considering the hundreds of millions Dre has made, and yet be called stupid. To me it sounds very similar to the pseudo-sciences that either arose or were adopted in this country to explain why the negro was designed by God to be a servant of the master race. Those comments usually seem to be followed by claims that he was selflessly looking out for their best interests by keeping them in their place.

I honestly don't get why our knowledge of science hasn't put an end to this silly notion of race.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says