or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it would be hilarious to see Facebook and Google stepping over one another to out bid each other on this company. Let them jack up the bids to $12 B just to keep it away from Apple. I really don't know what the benefit to Apple would be with this one. If Beats had something really unique, where are the patents? Anyone can curate music with the right talent. Are DJs really that hard to find? The licenses aren't transferrable so what is the angle?

Beats has the talent, experience, connections and chops -- not too easy to attain or buy!

Iovine has 40 plus years of experience in the record industry at all levels -- and is currently CEO of a record company. It's not about DJs and I've read that the licenses are transferable.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 6:40pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #42 of 599

Personally I bought AKG noise canceling headphones at the Apple store for flights and I like them just fine. For normal everyday listening I just use computer speakers or iPhone speakers, but I'm not an audiophile.  We do have a nice, but older set of Alesis studio speakers with amp and a Mackie board but we only use that now to record voiceovers for our training videos. I use my old  2002 Sony headphones in that situation.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #43 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No, no, no. The Apple brand is supposed to be synonymous with class. What is classy about Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre? Is Apple really that desperate to be thought of as "cool " by urban teenagers?

I don't think you understand the market that is buying these $200 headphones.

That being said, I'm against the acquisition.

post #44 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Yeah, I probably pushed the limit but did you watch the Dr Dre video? Does Apple want that in a senior position?

1) I think we all act differently around friends in our homes than at work… at least I hope so or those people are either a) very uncouth at the office or b) very dull in their personal life.

2) I did watch the video. I wondered a couple things as I think Dre is a very smart man. I wondered if that video was taken at some other time and then uploaded last night because it fit with the billion dollar rapper narrative or if the main part of the deal was inked so there could be no "backsies." I also considered that perhaps it was carefully worded to not reveal anything but but the impromptu nature of the video and excitement level leads me to believe that chance is remote.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #45 of 599
Quote:

Yeah, I probably pushed the limit but did you watch the Dr Dre video? Does Apple want that in a senior position?
For all the urban youth they might gain with this acquisition how many other people would they lose? I know I won't be buying any Beats branded Apple products.
post #46 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

What's sad is that they didn't even buy a good headphone company!

What is sad is that you read something unsubstantiated then run around screaming the sky is falling like @snova and @pazuzu without taking any time to try to comprehend the information or wait for a confirmation of any sort before freaking out. This it's-on-the-internet-so-it-must-be-true mentality is not only pathetic but also annoying.

post #47 of 599
Think CarPlay. Gets Apple into Chrysler-Dodge-Fiat.
post #48 of 599

To all you folks constantly talking shit about Tim Cook, especially the dude saying he's the next Steve Balmer, I'd like to point out a few things. Tim has been the CEO of Apple for 3 years. In those three years, Apple's revenue has grown from 108 billion to 170 billion. That's growth of 62 billion dollars. He's also totally revamped iOS for the better. I know that all the amateur design experts out there like to bag on iOS, 7 but the facts are that it has been widely adopted and hasn't deterred many people from buying iDevices.

It's easy to armchair attack every move this guy makes, but consider for a moment that the context under which he's making these moves is hidden from you. Even though you don't know what the plan is, there is one. And let's be real; Tim Cook is probably smarter than you. I'm sure he's smarter than me. Whatever reason he bought this company for is probably a good one.

post #49 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've read that the licenses are transferable.

Transferable licenses would add considerable value to Beats if it allows Apple to do things it can't currently do with their licenses and they didn't think they couldn't easily obtain. I don't think the licenses from Lala were transferable but I can see Dre and Iovine being able to get that sort of deal with their startup.

What about the iTunes app finally melting away (as people here have been wanting) and in its place we get a Beats app that is solely focused on music?

post #50 of 599

Dr. Dre once said in an interview with MTV - "I don't care about those people", in response to all of the gay-bashing on an Eminem album.

I thought that Tim Cook and Apple were against homophobes, or was all that just talk? :lol:

Well, I'm sure that there are plenty of bitches and ho's out there that don't yet own any Apple products, so they might as well start marketing to them. 

I think that Apple should use this song in their next commercial, since they're obviously heading in a bolder, new direction now. Apple will be so cool now.

"**** You"
(feat. Devin the Dude, Snoop Dogg)

[Dr. Dre]
I just wanna **** bad bitches
All them nights I never had bitches
Now I'm all up in that ass bitches
Mad at 'cha boyfriend, aint 'cha?

:lol: 

post #51 of 599
Quote:

For all the urban youth they might gain with this acquisition how many other people would they lose? I know I won't be buying any Beats branded Apple products.

This is exactly the reason why they'd want to buy Beats.    Urban youth are tomorrow's adults.  
Anyway, I think it's much more to do with the CarPlay ecosystem and gets their hands on the Beats Chrysler-Dodge-Fiat partnership.

post #52 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

"**** You"

I agree. I can't see how gangster rap and Apple elegance can coexist, although they have a lot of that type of music on iTunes Store. There has got to be some other secret ingredient that we don't know about at this point.

post #53 of 599
Quote:

Dr. Dre once said in an interview with MTV - "I don't care about those people", in response to all of the gay-bashing on an Eminem album.

I thought that Tim Cook and Apple was against homophobes, or was all that just talk? lol.gif

Well, I'm sure that there are plenty of bitches and ho's out there that don't yet own any Apple products, so they might as well start marketing to them.

I think that Apple should use this song in their next commercial, since they're obviously heading in a bolder, new direction now. Apple will be so cool now.

"**** You"

[Dr. Dre]

1) You bring up an interesting point: When does business trump human rights violations?

2) I don't know of Dre being homophobic but I do recall Eminem had a small issue where he used the word faggot in one of his songs. It's clearly not referring to someone who is attracted to someone of the same sex and he's stated that but people still got offended. Snoop Dogg Lion, on the other hand, has stated that homosexualit doesn't belong in hip hop and that he doubts we'll see any gay rappers (which is funny because there are plenty whether he knows it or not), but as of just a couple weeks ago he has completely changed his position. Did work come down from on high that he needs to publicly change his stance?

3) The more poor the community the less accepting they tend to be of homosexuals. Could Tim Cook be using this as a way to appeal to change? I don't think so but I think it's worth considering.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/9/14 at 7:06pm

post #54 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I think we all act differently around friends in our homes than at work… at least I hope so or those people are either a) very uncouth at the office or b) very dull in their personal life.

Unless you're Larry David. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #55 of 599
Quote:

Dr Dre is going to be an Apple executive. Cook has lost his fucking mind. 1oyvey.gif

What they should do is NOT to buy them out.  I don't see what the attraction is with this company in the first place.  There are much better things they could do with $3.2 Billion.

post #56 of 599
Quote:

Quote:

I'm surprised by the fact that you are prejudging this -- you are usually one of the people I expect to offer a fair and reasoned opinion. Not saying that you're not doing this here -- but I hope you will just look at the potential upside/downside and reserve judgement until the facts are known.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #57 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No point commenting further until some solid info is released.

But but but AppleInsider is calling these rumors "reports" now! "Reports" are coming in from everywhere! AppleInsider can barely regurge fast enough. Remember: the Internet never lies... /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 599
Quote:

... Which is probably why Apple may name the 2 execs Beats staff, but as advisors to Tim Cook. The new report may be inaccurate. It's likely details being worked on.
post #59 of 599
Phil is retiring, an anonymous source in the know just DM me. Haha.
post #60 of 599
Quote:

Could Tim Cook be using this as a way to appeal to change? I don't think so but I think it's worth considering.

I would rather that Apple just concentrate on making kick-ass products, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not going to comment on any more of these rumors, since that's all they are at the moment of course, because this thing is pissing me off.

I guess we'll see what happens when the facts come out.

post #61 of 599
Quote:

I've read that the licenses are transferable.

The folks at Re/Code confidently say they are not transferrable but hedge their bet on whether the labels would be willing to negotiate that with Apple.
http://recode.net/2014/05/08/why-apple-is-betting-big-on-beats-hardware-for-now-streaming-for-later/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #62 of 599
Quote:

I thought that Tim Cook and Apple were against homophobes, or was all that just talk? lol.gif

"**** You"

[Dr. Dre]

lol.gif  

If the relationship is serious, both of them will have obligations to keep their new act reasonably clean. Then let's see how long they last.

There may be strings and schedules attached.
post #63 of 599

Dre better be issued an interior office in the spaceship to reduce the drive-by risk.

post #64 of 599
Quote:

What is sad is that you read something unsubstantiated then run around screaming the sky is falling like @snova and @pazuzu without taking any time to try to comprehend the information or wait for a confirmation of any sort before freaking out. This it's-on-the-internet-so-it-must-be-true mentality is not only pathetic but also annoying.

Well, his handle is "big hype". Not "big facts."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 599
Quote:

I'm surprised by the fact that you are prejudging this -- you are usually one of the people I expect to offer a fair and reasoned opinion. Not saying that you're not doing this here -- but I hope you will just look at the potential upside/downside and reserve judgement until the facts are known.

What are the upsides to this?  Dr. Dre in Apple's upper management?  There's no upside to that.

Apple selling crappy headphones?  There's no upside to that.

Apple using Beat's subscription service when they can just do it themselves?

What's the potential reason to waste $3.2 Billion on a headphone mfg that has a subscription service that Apple can easily do themselves?

If they bought the headphone mfg, it would certainly upset the other mfg that sell through Apple.  That's not a good thing if they want to offer a wide range of headphones.

post #66 of 599

Apple could have spent 3.2B on their Cloud and DC and create a Lock in that cannot be easily rivaled.

Instead they buy Beats?

And saying Beats are premium? I think they are high quality,but definitely not in the premium range. B&W are premium.

All Just because of Iovine? Unless the contract say acquiring him would get Apple the Music Streaming Services at the rate Apple want, otherwise this is just insane.

post #67 of 599
Here's the way I'd do it:

Beats streaming subscription is $5.00/.month to all comers ..

With each purchase of an iDevice you get 1 year of free iBeats & iCloud Match.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #68 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
If they bought the headphone mfg, it would certainly upset the other mfg that sell through Apple.  That's not a good thing if they want to offer a wide range of headphones.

Am I to believe that Apple, the company which has made so many revolutionary devices, is not capable of making their own headphones, and they need to acquire another brand that is mediocre at best, and which has already been featured in many of their competitor's failed products? It's not rocket science, and Apple has all of the resources and money in the world, not to mention the best designers and engineers.

If that's the case, then my faith in Apple will have dramatically gone down.

post #69 of 599
Quote:

The fact we've gone a day and a half with dead silence from Apple pretty much tells me this is a done deal. I'm just venting right now because I think it's a stupid idea. Especially the notion that Apple needs the Beats brand to become cool with teenagers. Or that someone like Dr Dre would become an Apple executive. I'm still hoping its just a bad dream and I'll wake up to hear Apple played us all.
post #70 of 599

Gross.

Who gives a flying f@#k about hip hop?

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #71 of 599

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree. I can't see how gangster rap and Apple elegance can coexist, although they have a lot of that type of music on iTunes Store. There has got to be some other secret ingredient that we don't know about at this point.

Of course Rock -n- Roll is full of angels. Like the Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop & Alice Cooper, etc. The later sang about screwing dead people. Though, he didn't call Cold Ethyl a bitch. ;)

post #72 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonl View Post

Dre better be issued an interior office in the spaceship to reduce the drive-by risk.

They'll have to send him to some form of ESL course so people at Apple can actually understand what he says.  Otherwise Dr. Dre is going to get the cold shoulder since he would just be a figure head for the hip hop crowd.  Maybe they could use Dr. Dre as someone to get to these losers that do the smash and grab jobs at Apple Stores.  He probably knows them or at least could find out through their little gangsta network.

post #73 of 599
Quote:

What are the upsides to this?  Dr. Dre in Apple's upper management?  There's no upside to that.

What's the potential reason to waste $3.2 Billion on a headphone mfg that has a subscription service that Apple can easily do themselves?

With what we know there seems to be zero upside. All we can hope for is that either there's a lot we don't know and Apple has big plans that will surprise us or they never go through with the deal.
post #74 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Of course Rock -n- Roll is full of angels. Like the Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop & Alice Cooper, etc. The later sang about screwing dead people. Though, he didn't call Cold Ethyl a bitch. ;)

Get back to me when Apple hires Marilyn Manson and gives him a senior position in the company.

What's next? Is Old Dirty Bastard going to take over as CEO after Tim Cook?

Is Apple going to release their own line of gold grillz? It would match with the gold iPhone, and bitches would love it.

post #75 of 599
Quote:

Dude - do you ever read the drek you write?

Remember when you said a decade was but 9 years? LOLOLOLOL!

Remember when you said the iPhone would never use MMS?

The iPad would never be called an iPad?

There was no need to record video on an  iPhone?

iPhone mini was only for whittled downed digits? 

Do you remember? LOLOLOLOLO!

post #76 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't know because I only listen to Radio Paradise, Bill is the best.

post #77 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Dude - do you ever read the drek you write?
Remember when you said a decade was but 9 years? LOLOLOLOL!
Remember when you said the iPhone would never use MMS?
The iPad would never be called an iPad?
There was no need to record video on an  iPhone?
iPhone mini was only for whittled downed digits? 
Do you remember? LOLOLOLOLO!

I'd love for you to cite where I made any such claims, Teckstud.

post #78 of 599
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see Dr. Dre taking an active role in Apple management -- any more than AlGore or the head of the Apple db Filemaker nee Nutshell does (can't even remember the name).

Randy Ubillos does a pretty good job of overseeing FCPX and iMovie without disrupting Apple's overall plans.

For the umpteenth time it's not about headphones, rather it is a strategic move to gain a pre-eminate
position in media streaming ...

I may be old, but I'm open minded...
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 7:54pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #79 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Apple could have spent 3.2B on their Cloud and DC and create a Lock in that cannot be easily rivaled.

Instead they buy Beats?

And saying Beats are premium? I think they are high quality,but definitely not in the premium range. B&W are premium.

All Just because of Iovine? Unless the contract say acquiring him would get Apple the Music Streaming Services at the rate Apple want, otherwise this is just insane.

They are not mutually exclusive. Apple can do all the above, and more.

Remember Beats run on Android today as well. iCloud may or may not make it there.
post #80 of 599
His wealth is a direct result of his capability as a business man, and from a very young age that is not unlike Steve Job and other exceptional leaders.

Yes, as a businessman. Not an innovator, an inventor, a thinker, a pusher, nor even potentially the type of businessmen desired (or lacking, if any) at Apple, is all. Just as a businessman. Many shades of that.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says