or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung once again Apple's top supplier of 9.7" iPad Retina displays
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung once again Apple's top supplier of 9.7" iPad Retina displays

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Despite being fierce competitors and opponents in the courtroom, Apple and Samsung remain important partners, with Samsung reportedly supplying more than half of all high-resolution Retina displays for Apple's full-size iPad last quarter.




Samsung is said to have shipped 5.2 million 9.7-inch Retina displays to Apple in the first quarter of calendar 2014, according to a report highlighted by CNet. That was reportedly good for 62 percent of full-size iPad shipments in the three-month span.

Apple currently sells two high-resolution iPad models at that size: The iPad Air, its current-generation tablet starting at $499, and the iPad with Retina display, a legacy model priced at $399.

Samsung's gains in supplying large iPad displays came at a cost to competitor LG Display, which saw its share of Apple's components drop from 61 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013 to 38 percent in the first quarter of 2014.

Being a key display supplier to Apple is only part of the story, as Samsung is also responsible for building all of Apple's custom A-series processors to date. Those chips -- including the latest-generation A7 found in the iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad mini with Retina display -- are manufactured by Samsung at its chip fabrication facility in Austin, Tex.

There have been ongoing rumors for years claiming that Apple is looking to remove Samsung from its supply chain, because of the company's stature as a competitor, and Apple's ongoing lawsuits accusing the company of stealing its designs. In particular, it's been claimed for some time that Apple hopes to switch production of its A-series chips to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., lessening its reliance on Samsung.

Reports have claimed that TSMC and Samsung will share production of Apple's next-generation "A8" processor this year. However, similar claims have been made for some time without yet coming to pass.
post #2 of 17
Apple is going with the best manufacturer for its displays. If it happens to be Samsung, so be it. The Apple vs Samsung court battle was Jobs' pursuit, IIRC Tim Cook didn't want any part of it -- and this shows that he isn't going thermonuclear.

With that being said, I'm all for Apple seeking out whatever's in its best interests.
post #3 of 17
Shock horror Apple goes to the company that can supply what it needs.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Apple is going with the best manufacturer for its displays. If it happens to be Samsung, so be it. The Apple vs Samsung court battle was Jobs' pursuit, IIRC Tim Cook didn't want any part of it -- and this shows that he isn't going thermonuclear

The thermonuclear comment was re: Google/Android - not Samsung displays.
post #5 of 17
Well, if Samsung supplies the best screens available, so be it, and let Apple order all the screens they need from them. Even for their A-series chips, it doesn't matter if there's a (patent) lawsuit being fought concurrently. With Apples' 64-bit design Samsung never knew what hit them, resulting in their release of a 32-bit smartphone to answer Apples' 5s.

Lawsuits will continue to be fought, parts will be ordered from direct competitors and the evolution simply continues. I for one am glad Apple is at the forefront of innovation, because when looking at their competitors products, both software and hardware, I just wouldn't know what to use. So, Apple, thank you for your excellent products.

(not sure if it's ok to post this post; it is completely OT as the article is about Samsung displays)
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #6 of 17
In business, there are no friends or enemies. Just mutually useful alliances, or not.
post #7 of 17
I really really want someone to step in where Samsung is good at. Everywhere. I want Samsung to fall.

I like what I'm seeing on Android sites. The anti-Samsung seems to have grown 10 fold over the past 2 years there. Before it was mostly for the copying and the ugliness. Now it's an ethics (morals?) thing.

They are a horrid company through and through.
post #8 of 17
For clarification: Samsung Mobile (the thieves Apple is suing) don't provide Apple with displays or parts of any kind. It's a different division (Samsung Semiconductor or Samsung Display) that Apple gets parts from.
Apple gets along great with these divisions as they can provide Apple the parts they need at the quantities they need. And these divisions LOVE Apple and the billions of dollars they spend.
You have to wonder if there's any internal friction between division heads as the actions of one (Samsung Mobile) threaten the multi-billion dollar business of others (Semi and Display).

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

For clarification: Samsung Mobile (the thieves Apple is suing) don't provide Apple with displays or parts of any kind. It's a different division (Samsung Semiconductor or Samsung Display) that Apple gets parts from.
Apple gets along great with these divisions as they can provide Apple the parts they need at the quantities they need. And these divisions LOVE Apple and the billions of dollars they spend.
You have to wonder if there's any internal friction between division heads as the actions of one (Samsung Mobile) threaten the multi-billion dollar business of others (Semi and Display).

All true but I'd personally love to see Apple have a permanent, reliable, high quality, alternative source for anything it currently sources from Samsung, whatever the division.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #10 of 17
This is clearly a problem for Apple. The iPhone may well have been built smaller because Jony Ive prefers smaller designs. The fact is the customers need bigger screens for aging eyes and Samsung has a grip around the best supply of screens in the world. Apple really needs to get a good supplier for screens that is not Samsung. This would be my number one priority if I were the CEO. Relying on Samsung will always make it possible for them to undercut you after each new product introduction.
post #11 of 17
Apple should only drop Sammy as a supplier if they can get the same (or better) quality and manu capabilities elsewhere.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

This is clearly a problem for Apple. The iPhone may well have been built smaller because Jony Ive prefers smaller designs. The fact is the customers need bigger screens for aging eyes and Samsung has a grip around the best supply of screens in the world. Apple really needs to get a good supplier for screens that is not Samsung. This would be my number one priority if I were the CEO. Relying on Samsung will always make it possible for them to undercut you after each new product introduction.

Wow. Snap your fingers like it's magic. No sh1t.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple should only drop Sammy as a supplier if they can get the same (or better) quality and manu capabilities elsewhere.
Which they clearly can't as they keep on buying from them.
post #14 of 17
Meanwhile at Samsung:


Samsung chairman hospitalized after heart attack
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Samsung Electronics Co. Chairman Lee Kun-hee remained hospitalized in stable condition Monday after being treated for a heart attack, company officials said.

Maybe he knows something about Apple's unannounced direction that did it...?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Meanwhile at Samsung:


Samsung chairman hospitalized after heart attack
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Samsung Electronics Co. Chairman Lee Kun-hee remained hospitalized in stable condition Monday after being treated for a heart attack, company officials said.

Maybe he knows something about Apple's unannounced direction that did it...?

Maybe Jimmy talked to Samsung first, but the chairman dropped the offer in a heartbeat.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #16 of 17

I guess it's okay for Apple to continue to buy displays from Samsung. They do make some of the best displays afterall. I have used the OLED display on a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I have to say the display is pretty astonishing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

For clarification: Samsung Mobile (the thieves Apple is suing) don't provide Apple with displays or parts of any kind. It's a different division (Samsung Semiconductor or Samsung Display) that Apple gets parts from.
Apple gets along great with these divisions as they can provide Apple the parts they need at the quantities they need. And these divisions LOVE Apple and the billions of dollars they spend.
You have to wonder if there's any internal friction between division heads as the actions of one (Samsung Mobile) threaten the multi-billion dollar business of others (Semi and Display).

 

While that is true, it is one company nonetheless. It's pretty obvious if Apple sues Samsung Mobile, it's a company-wide issue, not just a departmental issue.

post #17 of 17
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
Meanwhile at Samsung:

 

On an unrelated note, how does one properly dispose of a voodoo doll such that it doesn’t incur further trauma? 

 

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Maybe Jimmy talked to Samsung first, but the chairman dropped the offer in a heartbeat.
 

:lol: 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung once again Apple's top supplier of 9.7" iPad Retina displays
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung once again Apple's top supplier of 9.7" iPad Retina displays