or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wants Beats Music, but likely to keep Beats hardware alive after deal - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple wants Beats Music, but likely to keep Beats hardware alive after deal - report

post #1 of 168
Thread Starter 
Apple's alleged $3.2 billion bid for Beats Electronics was provoked by the latter's impressive Beats Music subscription service, a Monday report said, while the iPhone maker will also look to help "improve the quality of design" in future Beats headphones.

Beats Music


Apple's interest is said to have been piqued by the rate at which Beats Music was converting free users to paid subscribers, and the multi-billion dollar price tag was made more palatable by the already close relationship between Apple executives and Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine, according to Bloomberg.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple is under pressure as sales of digital music downloads suffer thanks to the increasing popularity of music subscription services. Apple's own iTunes Radio streaming service, designed to boost sales of individual tracks, has been portrayed as "underwhelming" with just 1 to 2 percent of listeners making purchases.

Beats Music, meanwhile, is thought to have less than 300,000 paying subscribers but has been well received by consumers and critics for its design and functionality. In addition to a Spotify-like system that allows users to call up any song in the catalog, the service also sports a highly-praised recommendation algorithm.

A deal for Beats is likely to include a position in Apple's senior leadership for Iovine, who former MySpace executive Jason Hirschhorn called one of "Apple's first friends in the music business." Iovine is exceptionally well connected in the music industry and helped launch the iPod and iTunes store alongside late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, herding record labels toward deals with Apple and helping secure product placement for the iPod.

Apple's interest in Beats was first reported last week, with many pundits and Apple watchers writing off the rumors as false thanks to the non-obvious synergy between the two companies. An increasing number of outlets have chimed in with confirmations and corroboration, however, and some say the deal -- which would be by far the largest in Apple's history -- could be formally announced as soon as this week.
post #2 of 168
Dr Dre is already spending his ca ching- looking to buy Tom Brady's house in Brentwood.
Of all the deals to acquire - what a joke. Apple should have bought Pandora or Netflix.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #3 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Dr Dre is already spending his ca ching- looking to buy Tom Brady's house in Brentwood.
Of all the deals to acquire - what a joke. Apple should have bought Pandora or Netflix.

I thought so too, but I've changed my mind. They'll probably just let Beats operate independently as it has and just acquire the streaming service.
post #4 of 168
When does Clive Davis join Apple's Board?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #5 of 168
Then again, didn't this whole rumor originate from Bloomberg?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 168
This report if you call it that is false and misleading! Does apple need the streaming to compete with pandora and others? Yes, but they will not pay that amount for just the streaming! The hardware is the main objective, it comes with a major sponsorship of athletes from baseball players to basketball players and many UFC fighters who wear these products in the public eye and within their events. No one wears apple headphones coming down for a fight in the UFC. No matter what is said, these are the most notable and fashionable headphones on the market. It doesn't matter about quality of sound when it comes to the bass heads around the world, many people prefer bass over quality anyway. The market for super high end headphones is small compared to the people who buy beats.

Apple isn't a dumb company, they know what they are doing. Because this article makes it seem as if apple is desperate to compete with other streaming companies, which is just dumb.

Hardware is the main reason for this buy! People older than 50 won't see the point of it...
post #7 of 168

This one is a bit confusing to me, if this one does in fact play out, I guess we will have to wait and see how if plays into the larger picture. Some of Apple's acquisitions made sense immediately and others took time to understand the how it plays in the larger picture. 

 

Beats is just a marketing machine, not much different than Apple, but Apple has great product behind them. Beats does not, as a person who has a 20 yrs old studio grade head set which still works great and I pay no where the price Beats headphone cost they are a far better product than Beats.

 

Headphone use to be rated on the ability to not distort sound, but to day it seems like people are willing to pay a lot more for something the actually distorts sound. 

 

I am not sure if paying for Beats music subscribers if worth that kind of money. Look over the last 15 yrs how many music delivery systems that existed and how people keep jumping from one to another. Consumers have no sticking power with music delivery, because there is no cost to change. 

post #8 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple wants Beats Music, but likely to keep Beats hardware alive after deal

I would image so if the reports of Beats owning the majority of the high-end headphone market and making $1.4 billion in revenue and $250-300 million in profits in 2013. Note that 300,000 Beats Music subscribers at $10 per month is only $36 million per year in revenue.

After @Dick Applebaum kept talking about the Beats app I decided to DL it. I'm not a fan, but I'm also not a fan of any rented music service. I had hoped that I could choose a song and then have it build playlist from it but I didn't see such an option. I do like Genus Playlists in Apple's iTunes and Music app so I'd like for Beats' humanized algorithm to be added to it, but I'm likely not willing to pay for a service to get it, even if it worked exactly how I wanted it to.

Also, their web-based player visually looks nice but unfortunately you need to use mobile version to start the process and it doesn't appear to show any of their automated playlists in that view… both of which I consider a shortcoming. The web app unfortunately still requires Adobe Flash, too, even thought it only looks to use Flash for pooling the music in the background.


PS: @sapporobabyrtrns, you may not like the sound quality of their headphones but that doesn't mean it, and the quality of the HW, can't be made better under Apple. As an example, here's an early example of Authentec's fingerprint reader. I think you still had to slide the finger from to bottom along a straight line.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 168
If Apple were to make this acquisition, it would be a strategic business move. Beats is already perceived as a premium brand, which compliments Apple (as a premium brand). Knowing Apple, they would leverage their engineering and design expertise to improve the Beats headphones in both design as well as sound quality.

If this succeeds, Apple would obviously market the Beats headphones to their own customer base of over 400 Million credit card holders. A pair of Beats headphones at $200 each, sold to 1 million paying customers equals $200 million. 10 Million units at $200 each equals $2 Billion. 100 million units at $200 each equals $20 Billion.

Looking at the numbers, and the fact that Apple doesn't sell premium headphones in this market, this acquisition makes total business sense.

Apple is primarily a hardware company, and the premium headphone market where people are willing to spend $600 for headphones is what Apple would be after. With Beats, Apple is acquiring an established brand that is already priced at over $200; which will leverage Apple's own reputation as a maker of quality hardware when Apple take the Beats headphones to another level. Apple has the resources and the economies of scale to acquire and license high quality audio technology from headphone manufacturer's such as Sennheiser.

If Apple does make this acquisition, I am looking forward to seeing what headphone designs and technology that Apple will produce; that Apple may have already designed for production far in advance.

Beats will just be the platform.
Edited by InteliusQ - 5/12/14 at 4:17pm
post #10 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

If this succeeds, Apple would obviously market the Beats headphones to their own customer base of over 400 Million credit card holders.

In the last earnings call I recall Tim Cook saying something along the lines of Apple having 800 million iTunes accounts, most of which are tied to the credit cards. That would mean over 400 million CCs on file, as you say, but I would bet that number is significantly higher than that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 168

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I would image so if the reports of Beats owning the majority of the high-end headphone market and making $1.4 billion in revenue and $250-300 million in profits in 2013. Note that 300,000 Beats Music subscribers at $10 per month is only $36 million per year in revenue.


After @Dick Applebaum kept talking about the Beats app I decided to DL it. I'm not a fan, but I'm also not a fan of any rented music service. I had hoped that I could choose a song and then have it build playlist from it but I didn't see such an option. I do like that Genus Playlist feature in Apple's iTunes and Music app so I'd like for Beats' humanized algorithm to be added to it, but I'm not I'd want to pay for a service to get, even if it worked exactly how I wanted it to. Also, their web-based player visually looks nice but unfortunately you need to use mobile version to start the process and it doesn't appear to show any of their automated playlists in that view… both of which I consider a shortcoming. The web app unfortunately still requires Adobe Flash, too, even thought it only looks to use Flash for pooling the music in the background.


PS: @sapporobabyrtrns, you may not like the sound quality of their headphones but that doesn't mean it, and the quality of the HW, can't be made better under Apple. As an example, here's an early example of Authentec's fingerprint reader. I think you still had to slide the finger from to bottom along a straight line.

Hey Dude. You could be correct. Apple could make things better in the hardware arena, however in the sound department, Beats has a long way to go... The above is my listening gear of choice. Shure SE 846's, Sony PHA-1, custom ear buds.

post #12 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

 

"...as a person who has a 20 yrs old studio grade head set which still works great..."

 

 

What is the manufacturer/model of your headset?

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply
post #13 of 168
I know more about Dre than Iovine, but Dre fits in with the apple mentality. Running his record label, he believed in releasing a product only when it was perfect (he's worked on his last cd for about 13 years now and refuses to release it because he doesn't feel it's good enough, and did that with many artist). The music might not be what you like but in his genre, he release a ton of number 1 CDs. And as far as the cursing goes, he uses ghost writers, he isn't a rapper, so he just said the words. Maybe thatll make some of you feel better instead of posting how he will buy all that "bling" and waste all his money. (Apparently no one realizes that he managed to come from nothing to having 500 million before this deal)
post #14 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I would image so if the reports of Beats owning the majority of the high-end headphone market and making $1.4 billion in revenue and $250-300 million in profits in 2013. Note that 300,000 Beats Music subscribers at $10 per month is only $36 million per year in revenue.

After @Dick Applebaum kept talking about the Beats app I decided to DL it. I'm not a fan, but I'm also not a fan of any rented music service. I had hoped that I could choose a song and then have it build playlist from it but I didn't see such an option. I do like Genus Playlists in Apple's iTunes and Music app so I'd like for Beats' humanized algorithm to be added to it, but I'm likely not willing to pay for a service to get it, even if it worked exactly how I wanted it to.

Also, their web-based player visually looks nice but unfortunately you need to use mobile version to start the process and it doesn't appear to show any of their automated playlists in that view… both of which I consider a shortcoming. The web app unfortunately still requires Adobe Flash, too, even thought it only looks to use Flash for pooling the music in the background.


PS: @sapporobabyrtrns, you may not like the sound quality of their headphones but that doesn't mean it, and the quality of the HW, can't be made better under Apple. As an example, here's an early example of Authentec's fingerprint reader. I think you still had to slide the finger from to bottom along a straight line.

I agree with the premise of your post, it certainly is possible for the hardware and sound quality to improve under Apple. Although the Authentec example you gave is a bit of a misrepresentation. It's not like Apple bought Authentec when there fingerprint scanning technology was at that stage. By the time Apple bought Authentec the actual fingerprint technology was ready, I remember reading an article mentioning that Authentec lobbied the technology to several smartphone manufacturers. In the 8 months or so (which isn't a lot of time) between the acquisition and start of the production of the 5S I imagine some small refinements were made but they probably focused on the seamless integration of the technology rather than drastically improving the technology itself.

Nevertheless I definitely agree with you about Apple being capable of improving upon the Beats hardware.

post #15 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I just realized that most people are upset cause of racism and nothing else. Apple might have a black guy who curses working as an executive, as opposed to a white guy who drops acid.
 

That's not true at all. Nice try. It's not like anyone even pointed out the fact that he was "crip walking" in the video. They just feel that Beats is not a good purchase.

post #16 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

I agree with the premise of your post, it certainly is possible for the hardware and sound quality to improve under Apple. Although the Authentec example you gave is a bit of a misrepresentation. It's not like Apple bought Authentec when there fingerprint scanning technology was at that stage. By the time Apple bought Authentec the actual fingerprint technology was ready, I remember reading an article mentioning that Authentec lobbied the technology to several smartphone manufacturers. In the 8 months or so (which isn't a lot of time) between the acquisition and start of the production of the 5S I imagine some small refinements were made but they probably focused on the seamless integration of the technology rather than drastically improving the technology itself.
Nevertheless I definitely agree with you about Apple being capable of improving upon the Beats hardware.

Sure, I see your point about the picture I posted and they certainly improved on their own between that time and when Apple bought them, but how much did Apple do to make Touch ID as small, fast and secure as it is? Did AuthenTec's scanner also enable with a capacitive sensor ring? Did AuthenTec's scanner also work that fast? Did AuthenTec's scanner also use a "secure enclave" to store the fingerprint hashes? Did AuthenTec's scanner store the fingerprints or just a hash? Could it be used in as many directions as Touch ID?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions but I do know I haven't seen a single AuthenTec demo that even came close to what Touch ID offers. In fact, I was very skeptical and pleasantly surprised that Touch ID was more convenient (i.e.: faster) than inputting a 4-digit PIN.

With headphones we're talking about relatively simplistic HW. If the sound is too geared for bass (which seems to be the problem with the original headphones, not the variety they have now for various professionals) that doesn't seem to be hard to change. As for aesthetics it's not my thing but the construction always looked good. I haven't read anything about them falling apart quickly, but even if they did Apple could fix that. I would expect Apple to go for accurate sound with premium headphones as much as they go for accurate displays on their devices even if that lack of over saturation does make some think that it's not as good as their competitor's devices.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 168
So. Apple wants the streaming music but the purchase price is all about the brand and headphones.
post #18 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I just realized that most people are upset cause of racism and nothing else. Apple might have a black guy who curses working as an executive, as opposed to a white guy who drops acid.

 

Yeah, that's the real reason. You offer a brilliant and well thought out analysis. Anybody who thinks that the Beats deal is questionable and anybody who thinks that Beats headphones aren't good are really just posting from their computers while donning white hoods.

 

As for me, I'm off to a klan meeting, right after I finish up with this post. I also have a confederate flag as my desktop picture.

 

Beats has a bad reputation with many people (just read various reactions to this rumor all over the web), and maybe it has something to do with the fact that many people are not impressed by their headphones. And maybe it has something to do with their very long association with Monster Cable which lasted for many years.

 

I still think that this deal should be called off, even if they were in talks, due to the amateurish and unprofessional video that was leaked. People like to say what Steve Jobs would do, and he's of course no longer here, but I do know what he has done in the past when outside companies leaked details and information about their associations with Apple.

 

I also find it hilarious that Tim Cook, who promised to double down on security and Tim Cook and Apple, who have been very active in making their voices known about equal rights would choose to associate themselves with a misogynistic homophobe. 

 

I do think that Iovine is talented, Dr. Dre doesn't impress me.

post #19 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

That's not true at all. Nice try. It's not like anyone even pointed out the fact that he was "crip walking" in the video. They just feel that Beats was not a good purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Dr Dre is already spending his ca ching- looking to buy Tom Brady's house in Brentwood.
Of all the deals to acquire - what a joke. Apple should have bought Pandora or Netflix.

Is that right?? Lol.
post #20 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

If Apple were to make this acquisition, it would be a strategic business move. Beats is already perceived as a premium brand, which compliments Apple (as a premium brand). Knowing Apple, they would leverage their engineering and design expertise to improve the Beats headphones in both design as well as sound quality.

If this succeeds, Apple would obviously market the Beats headphones to their own customer base of over 400 Million credit card holders. A pair of Beats headphones at $200 each, sold to 1 million paying customers equals $200 million. 10 Million units at $200 each equals $2 Billion. 100 million units at $200 each equals $20 Billion.

Looking at the numbers, and the fact that Apple doesn't sell premium headphones in this market, this acquisition makes total business sense.
How is Beats perceived as a premium brand? Just because their headphones are expensive? I would argue Beats is perceived as an overpriced brand. I don't get why Apple would want to be associated with that.
post #21 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I just realized that most people are upset cause of racism and nothing else. Apple might have a black guy who curses working as an executive, as opposed to a white guy who drops acid.

 

Go away.  If you want to be hung up on color, or think anyone who opposes the acquisition of company that happens to have an african american as part-owner is a racist- then you have no business posting here- because you are acting ignorant.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #22 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


How is Beats perceived as a premium brand? Just because their headphones are expensive? I would argue Beats is perceived as an overpriced brand. I don't get why Apple would want to be associated with that.

 

its a premium brand.

 

they have 70% of the consumer premium/high end headphone business.

post #23 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I also find it hilarious that Tim Cook, who promised to double down on security and Tim Cook and Apple, who have been very active in making their voices known about equal rights would choose to associate themselves with a misogynistic homophobe. 

 

I do think that Iovine is talented, Dr. Dre doesn't impress me.

I agree about the association.  But in Tim's defense, it wasn't his fault it got "leaked".  Blame that on a multi-millionaire who gets drunk, posts videos, and acts like this is his first big deal he's ever made.  For someone who's had money for the better part of 2 decades, he sure acts like he just got it yesterday.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #24 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How is Beats perceived as a premium brand? 

 

They got a few athletes to wear them, but that's exactly what Samsung does. Needless to say, I don't take headphone advice from any paid celebrities and I don't think that Apple should emulate other crappy company's marketing strategies.

 

It makes perfect sense that Beats and Monster were so close, because I feel the same way about Monster Cables that I do about beats headphones. Ridiculously overpriced and not worth it.

post #25 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


How is Beats perceived as a premium brand? Just because their headphones are expensive? I would argue Beats is perceived as an overpriced brand. I don't get why Apple would want to be associated with that.

I don't own a pair, and don't like them- but it's definitely a premium brand.  Nothing breaks down or has worse reliability ratings than german cars, but they are premium vehicles.  Premium doesn't always equal quality, unfortunately.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #26 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Go away.  If you want to be hung up on color, or think anyone who opposes the acquisition of company that happens to have an african american as part-owner is a racist- then you have no business posting here- because you are acting ignorant.

I'm not really talking about people who say they oppose the buyout because of business reasons. I'm talking about the dozens of people (read the comments on here) who are appalled that apple would let someone like dr Dre be an executive.

Don't be afraid to talk about it just cause it makes you uncomfortable buddy
post #27 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Sure, I see your point about the picture I posted and they certainly improved on their own between that time and when Apple bought them, but how much did Apple do to make Touch ID as small, fast and secure as it is? Did AuthenTec's scanner also enable with a capacitive sensor ring? Did AuthenTec's scanner also work that fast? Did AuthenTec's scanner also use a "secure enclave" to store the fingerprint hashes? Did AuthenTec's scanner store the fingerprints or just a hash? Could it be used in as many directions as Touch ID?

I don't have a definite answer on those questions either, but making all those adjustments in about 8 months (which should include an extensive testing period) seems almost impossible so some of those definitely would already have been in place, my guess would be that the sensor ring and the ability to use it in many directions would have been in place as they are hardware related, and essential, to the actual sensor. edit: ( Unless of course Apple had those already in place and was looking for a sensor, but then why buy the complete company? It seems likely that there was something special about Authentec's sensors (and probably IP) that made them buy worthy.)

The 'secure enclave' on the other hand would be part of the implementation and definitely seems to be Apple's work (it's their SoC that stores it so doesn't seem illogical). 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I would expect Apple to go for accurate sound with premium headphones as much as they go for accurate displays on their devices even if that lack of over saturation does make some think that it's not as good as their competitor's devices.

I expect and at the same time really hope so too. Also the current earpods could use some improvement, so maybe this acquisition is a good sign for improvement there.


Edited by Chipsy - 5/12/14 at 8:22am
post #28 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

I agree about the association.  But in Tim's defense, it wasn't his fault it got "leaked".  Blame that on a multi-millionaire who gets drunk, posts videos, and acts like this is his first big deal he's ever made.  For someone who's had money for the better part of 2 decades, he sure acts like he just got it yesterday.

 

Of course it wasn't Tim Cook's fault that any video got leaked, but now that it has been, the ball is in Tim Cook's court.

 

I wouldn't trust that person (Dre) to be any Apple executive, they act like a child and they've already proven that they can't be trusted.

post #29 of 168

It doesn't make sense unless Apple can sell more *Apple* hardware after the deal.

 

And it absolutely doesn't make sense for Apple to spend $3B so they can sell aftermarket accessories, especially if they don't brand them Apple.

 

They're not going to pursue the streaming service solely as a money-making venture - Apple is hardware, they have iTunes and iCloud and such as value added services to make the Apple hardware more valuable and appealing, and it's the Apple hardware that earns them the vast majority of their revenue and profit. To change their business model with this purchase and suddenly start pursuing non-hardware as real revenue streams in their own right is illogical.

 

There's something else here, either the whole thing is a bogus rumour, or they're after something else entirely - perhaps just the streaming service, which will be rebranded and incorporated into their existing offering, followed by the dumping of the accessories division. Leaving the Beats brand alive after the deal would be extremely strange.

post #30 of 168

Dr. Dre doesn't need apple money to buy a house. You think because he's black he can't afford an expensive house? If you know the history of Dr. Dre, he's one of the most successful business men in music and had it not been for him there would be no Interscope Record, no Death Row Record, No Snoop, No Eminem or Beats By Dre. for that matter. Every one of those companies started from the bottom. He must be doing something right if everything he touches turns gold. If the Beats headphones are so bad the how on God's Green Earth does start from the ground in 2008 and now worth around a billion dollars now even without apple? People need to stop hating, just because Dre didn't come a background you or Steve Jobs came from.  

post #31 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post


I'm not really talking about people who say they oppose the buyout because of business reasons. I'm talking about the dozens of people (read the comments on here) who are appalled that apple would let someone like dr Dre be an executive.

Don't be afraid to talk about it just cause it makes you uncomfortable buddy

I don't think he should be an executive because he acts like a fool in public.  I don't want Donald Trump as an executive either.  There- now you can't throw the race card or lack of success as a reason.  My reason- they both don't display what Apple is.  Elegant, Classy, Smart, and Sophisticated. If you think Dr. Dre is elegant, classy, and sophisticated- than you are misguided.


Edited by Andysol - 5/12/14 at 8:13am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #32 of 168
Quote:




Steve Jobs famously said that Apple stands at the intersection of of Technology and the Liberal Arts. He said it more than once because he thought it was an important distinction of the company.

In an intuitive way, the message may have gotten through to the average person, but I don’t think professional observers and managers of technology have quite grasped what he meant.

It’s not a glib throw-away marketing phrase. I can imagine many other, more evocative ways of saying that Apple blends the hard and the soft; the heart and mind, if you will.

His choice of words makes me believe that he meant it as a fundamental blending of two disparate and considered-opposite concepts, rather like yin-yang: things which do not naturally mix but which are complementary, interconnected, interdependent, and give rise to each other.

This interaction however is not well understood and even more rarely exploited. The reason they don’t mix well in business in particular is that individuals are typically not trained in both. Our education systems (from where these phrases originate) are unwilling or incapable of providing us with a grounding in both, so individuals tend to absorb only one or the other.

But it turns out that the interaction between these nominal opposites have determined our world to date and will continue to determine our fate. A cursory review of history shows that the “soft”, perceptive and feeling-based disciplines always combined with the analytical and judgmental to create a future which neither could create alone.


Emphasis, mine.


http://www.asymco.com/2014/05/12/postmodern-computing-summit/#disqus_thread


Quote:
liberal arts noun plural

: areas of study (such as history, language, and literature) that are intended to give you general knowledge rather than to develop specific skills needed for a profession


Full Definition of LIBERAL ARTS

1 : the medieval studies comprising the trivium and quadrivium

2 : college or university studies (as language, philosophy, literature, abstract science) intended to provide chiefly general knowledge and to develop general intellectual capacities (as reason and judgment) as opposed to professional or vocational skills


First Known Use of LIBERAL ARTS


14th century


liberal arts (Concise Encyclopedia)

College or university curriculum aimed at imparting general knowledge and developing general intellectual capacities, in contrast to a professional, vocational, or technical curriculum. In Classical antiquity, the term designated the education proper to a freeman (Latin liber, “free”) as opposed to a slave. In the medieval Western university, the seven liberal arts were grammar, rhetoric, and logic (the trivium) and geometry, arithmetic, music, and astronomy (the quadrivium). In modern colleges and universities, the liberal arts include the study of literature, languages, philosophy, history, mathematics, and science.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberal%20arts
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/12/14 at 8:55am
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #33 of 168
Where is the DED Weekend Special? Please, I need a change of subject! 1biggrin.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #34 of 168
I've not used Beats, but the folks at Macworld have given it high marks for its SW design. I think it's a good purchase for Apple especially with steady decline of iTunes music purchases. I'm guess the future is subscription music.
post #35 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I've not used Beats, but the folks at Macworld have given it high marks for its SW design. I think it's a good purchase for Apple especially with steady decline of iTunes music purchases. I'm guess the future is subscription music.

Right, plus I'd mention ... most times Apple acquires a company they implement something into their existing or new products in a way that isn't even necessarily obvious. It could be iTunes will just gain new features soon and evolves over time. That said it is a first for Apple to take on a very high profile and successful brand (as far as I can recall), it will be interesting to see what they do with the name and existing hardware. I'd still like to see a Yahoo purchase, talking of high profile names.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #36 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then again, didn't this whole rumor originate from Bloomberg?

Who published Steve's obituary prematurely. Indeed, complete wonkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is Beats perceived as a premium brand?

Beats me.
post #37 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

its a premium brand.

they have 70% of the consumer premium/high end headphone business.
I don't consider overpriced to be premium. I pay a premium for Apple products because I believe their quality, ecosystem, customer service, etc. is better than anyone else's. The Beats "premium" isn't because of superior build/sound quality. It's all because of marketing, getting high profile musicians and other celebrities to be seen wearing the headphones thus making them cool to teenagers.
post #38 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


That said it is a first for Apple to take on a very high profile and successful brand (as far as I can recall), it will be interesting to see what they do with the name and existing hardware.

If true- I look forward to seeing what theyd do also.  Its definately unprecidented.  Of course, with Next, they simply integrated it.  Filemaker is the only seperately run company under the Apple umbrella.  Honestly, I think if they made "Beats" headphones "Apple" headphones- it would be bad for sales.  As much as I love apple, there is a large segment of people who "would never buy Apple".  So this is a case where I would hope they'd integrate the music streaming service, and keep the hardware seperate.  As a $300 mil profit company, $3.2b is still overpaying substantially. I'd like to see it for closer to $2b.  We'll see.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #39 of 168
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Apple should have bought…

 

Oh, so we have confirmation of this? Where?

 

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post
Dr. Dre doesn't need apple money to buy a house. You think because he's black he can't afford an expensive house? 

 

Keep your racism and strawmen to yourself.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #40 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't think he should be an executive because he acts like a fool in public.  I don't want Donald Trump as an executive either.  There- now you can't throw the race card or lack of success as a reason.  My reason- they both don't display what Apple is.  Elegant, Classy, Smart, and Sophisticated. If you think Dr. Dre is elegant, classy, and sophisticated- than you are misguided.
Yes. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some to understand. And I don't get the double standard. If one says Donald Trump had no class it would be no big deal. If one says Dre has no class and you're a racist bigot who doesn't have an open mind. 1oyvey.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wants Beats Music, but likely to keep Beats hardware alive after deal - report