or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC

Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC

post #1 of 244
When Apple kicks off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference on June 2, it could use the keynote as an opportunity to formally introduce its two newest executives: Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre of Beats Electronics.

Source: Beats Music

Details of the rumored plans come from people familiar with the Beats acquisition talks who spoke with Bloomberg. Those unnamed sources indicated that both Dre, whose real name is Andre Young, and Iovine are expected to take executive roles at Apple, and with WWDC less than a month away, the keynote could be an ideal for the company to showcase its two newest recruits.

Word of Iovine and Dre's anticipated roles at the company first surfaced last week. With Monday's latest report lending more support to that rumor, it was said that Iovine may oversee Apple's music strategy and handle relationships with labels and publishers.

What kind of executive role Dre might occupy at Apple was not revealed. But the rapper-turned-entrepreneur has actually been a part of an Apple presentation before: 10 years ago, when he appeared in an iChat with late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

During that 2004 keynote, Jobs phoned Dre, who at the time was in the studio working on a new record. The rapper congratulated the CEO on the initial success of iTunes and the iPod.

Last week, Dre seemingly confirmed the $3.2 billion acquisition of Beats in a video posted online by singer and actor Tyrese Gibson, who appeared to be celebrating the news. Talks between Apple and Beats are said to be in the final stages.
post #2 of 244
OK, bets ... it's the most watched WWDC ever!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OK, bets ... it's the most watched WWDC ever!

I think every WWDC becomes the most watched ever.

post #4 of 244

I know I'll be watching! Its coming fast too!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #5 of 244

Groan.... AI, I know you want/love/need clicks, but c'mon... another Beats story?!

post #6 of 244
Rumour: Dr. Dre to replace Tim Cook as Apple CEO.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Rumour: Dr. Dre to replace Tim Cook as Apple CEO.

and Eminem to replace Jony Ive as head of design.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #8 of 244

...or they may not!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan.... AI, I know you want/love/need clicks, but c'mon... another Beats story?!

Expect many more, because according to a Billboard article about this year's WWDC, they said that the deal is expected to take two months to close, and Apple may choose not to announce anything until everything is final.:lol:

post #10 of 244
Quote:

They're going to Beats it to death.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 244

I am losing interest on WWDC.  What is happenning to the world?

post #12 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...or they may not!

And what's the bets they bring cans of Heineken on stage.

post #13 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

We'll see. WWDCs big focus is 10.10.

post #14 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

We'll see. WWDCs big focus is 10.10.

That would also be a dumb move. Whatever they are doing for iOS 8 should be the main event.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #15 of 244
Let's hope this is just the rumor mill gone wild.
post #16 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That would also be a dumb move. Whatever they are doing for iOS 8 should be the main event.
iOS got all the attention last year. OS X is reportedly getting a complete redesign this year, hence why it will get more attention.
post #17 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Apple kicks off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference on June 2, it could use the keynote as an opportunity to formally introduce its two newest executives: Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre of Beats Electronics.

Details of the rumored plans come from people familiar with the Beats acquisition talks who spoke with Bloomberg. Those unnamed sources indicated that both Dre, whose real name is Andre Young, and Iovine are expected to take executive roles at Apple, and with WWDC less than a month away, the keynote could be an ideal for the company to showcase its two newest recruits.

If this happens as rumored, the stage and audience could be as filled with optimistic energy and excitement since Jobs was up there. None of the current crop Cs compare to Jobs for stage presence.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #18 of 244
Imagine this, a bunch of non-musicians making money creating what they call music. Boy, this society is messed up. I'll watch DDWC, but I'll be cringing if they bring those two schmucks on stage and they actually start speaking.
post #19 of 244

WWDC is a developer conference - I don't see what having them onstage, even at the consumer facing keynote,  would accomplish.

post #20 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

This is all a smoke screen to cover for no new hardware product announcements. Introduce OS X 10.10, iOS 8, then the Dr. Dre dog and pony show. The end.

post #21 of 244
I always thought beats was an overly hyped over priced fad - and wearing their headphones meant here's a sucker. But if apple wants their staff, I guess that makes sense, but why dilute your brand with a no name brand that's associated with zero value, all status? Many people think that of apple now, this would just confirm it for a lot of on the fencers.
post #22 of 244

Clearly influenced and seduced/fooled by Samsung propaganda, certain people have been claiming that Apple needs to be more cool. As if making the best computers and portable devices in the world isn't good enough. 

In response to this criticism, Apple has decided to embark on a "coolness" mission, in order to raise their profile and gain more street cred.

I have it from good sources that Tim Cook will take the stage at this years WWDC wearing pants where the waistline will be at about knee level. Tim Cook will also be sporting a huge gold chain while smoking a blunt on stage and claiming that the iPhone 6 will be loved by crazy bitches all over the world. 

Apple's corporate culture will also be influenced by this new direction, and Apple will now contract drive by shootings of their competitors, Samsung had better watch out. And since this is all about money, Apple will eventually get into the drug business, and possibly branch out into prostitution also, as that's always a high margin and profitable business venture. Can you get more high margin than prostitution? A ho's margin makes the iPhone's margin seem pathetic.

Apple will also be starting up it's own gangsta rap label called Apple iThug. Much like Apple's appstore approval process, the songs for Apple's label will have to undergo an approval process, and no songs will be accepted unless they are found to contain at least 50%racist,misogynistic, homophobic and otherwise offensive lyrics. The more, the better.

post #23 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This is all a smoke screen to cover for no new hardware product announcements. Introduce OS X 10.10, iOS 8, then the Dr. Dre dog and pony show. The end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

If this happens as rumored, the stage and audience could be as filled with optimistic energy and excitement since Jobs was up there. None of the current crop Cs compare to Jobs for stage presence.
I wonder then if this is an indication that WWDC product wise would otherwise be a snooze fest so Apple feels they need to add some excitement; give the press something to talk about?
post #24 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Clearly influenced and seduced/fooled by Samsung propaganda, certain people have been claiming that Apple needs to be more cool. As if making the best computers and portable devices in the world isn't good enough. 

In response to this criticism, Apple has decided to embark on a "coolness" mission, in order to raise their profile and gain more street cred.

I have it from good sources that Tim Cook will take the stage at this years WWDC wearing pants where the waistline will be at about knee level. Tim Cook will also be sporting a huge gold chain while smoking a blunt on stage and claiming that the iPhone 6 will be loved by crazy bitches all over the world. 

Apple's corporate culture will also be influenced by this new direction, and Apple will now contract drive by shootings of their competitors, Samsung had better watch out. And since this is all about money, Apple will eventually get into the drug business, and possibly branch out into prostitution also, as that's always a high margin and profitable business venture. Can you get more high margin than prostitution? A ho's margin makes the iPhone's margin seem pathetic.

Apple will also be starting up it's own gangsta rap label called Apple iThug. Much like Apple's appstore approval process, the songs for Apple's label will have to undergo an approval process, and no songs will be accepted unless they are found to contain at least 50% racist,misogynistic, homophobic and otherwise offensive lyrics. The more, the better.

This post is dripping with prejudice.

Hello Mr Sterling?

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #25 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Oh that justp1ayin and his crazy accusations of racism....
post #26 of 244

Whatever Apple does with a Beats acquisition it will be a big deal that will warrant its own presentation. I suspect it will a major shift in how Apple does music. iTunes has been around for a long time and a re-fresh would not necessarily be a bad thing. 

post #27 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iOS got all the attention last year. OS X is reportedly getting a complete redesign this year, hence why it will get more attention.

That doesn't mean it should get attention. The devs there are mostly , in the vast majority, iOS devs.
Edited by asdasd - 5/12/14 at 12:57pm
post #28 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Whatever Apple does with a Beats acquisition it will be a big deal that will warrant its own presentation. I suspect it will a major shift in how Apple does music. iTunes has been around for a long time and a re-fresh would not necessarily be a bad thing. 

What ever they do won't be ready probably for a year.
post #29 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Hello Mr Sterling?
He just waits for stories like this so his posts are "acceptable" to the topic at hand. Those who think all Hip Hop is like that need to chill. The same could be said for Rock when you only look at the extreme examples.

My feel is, if these rumors are true, that Jobs will be praised if this turns out to be a big boon for Apple, that Steve had it in the offing all along. But if it fails it will then only be laid at Cook's feet.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #30 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That doesn't mean it should get attention. The devs there are mostly , in the vast majority, iOS devs.
And yet when the new OS X redesign comes out that's all anyone will be talking about (provably mostly the anti flat crowd talking about how much they hate it). Don't worry I'm sure iOS will get plenty of stage time too.
post #31 of 244
To maximize google ad impressions, AppleInsider plans to regurg every Bloomberg story into 5 AppleInsider articles each. The articles will be padded with 85% boilerplate text that includes Dr. Dre's real name, Iovine's history with Steve Jobs, and Ming-chi Kuo's impressive track record. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 244

Yea, if this was about to happen, I'm not sure that'd be such a good idea.

WWDC is no consumer event and no music/iPod event. If they wanted to announce something like that, better host a separate music event in autumn.

Seriously, it's not that any of those guys has anything revolutionary to say, let alone something developers might be interested in.

Don't waste this precious keynote for PR, the more you talk about what's really new, what fantastic tech and APIs have been added, the better.

For me personally, Dre talking about music at WWDC would pretty much match all those time wasters showing off some iPad remote controlled toy car, which never hits the market.

post #33 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Those who think all Hip Hop is like that need to chill. The same could be said for Rock when you only look at the extreme examples.

Serious question: What are a couple of 'typical' (i.e., not 'extreme') examples of Hip Hop? (It is implicitly assumed in my question that it has to meet the test of popularity as well).

post #34 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Yea, if this was about to happen, I'm not sure that'd be such a good idea.

WWDC is no consumer event and no music/iPod event. If they wanted to announce something like that, better host a separate music event in autumn.

Seriously, it's not that any of those guys has anything revolutionary to say, let alone something developers might be interested in.

Don't waste this precious keynote for PR, the more you talk about what's really new, what fantastic tech and APIs have been added, the better.

For me personally, Dre talking about music at WWDC would pretty much match all those time wasters showing off some iPad remote controlled toy car, which never hits the market.

They announced the iPhone4 at WWDC

post #35 of 244
Quote:

Serious question: What are a couple of 'typical' (i.e., not 'extreme') examples of Hip Hop? (It is implicitly assumed in my question that it has to meet the test of popularity as well).

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #36 of 244
Quote:

Lupe fiasco, pharell, kid cudi is all about drugs really but no violence, Macklemore. There's tons of artist. Hip hop has evolved since Kanye west (and yes we all know Kanye is crazy)
post #37 of 244
Quote:

They announced the iPhone4 at WWDC

And that's fine, because new hardware is exciting and relevant to developers.

I just doubt that Dre would have anything interesting to say, especially at this point where the ink is still wet.

post #38 of 244
Quote:

Hello Mr Sterling?

Maybe, but not necessarily.   It just might be dripping with "oldness".

He probably still listens to Mantovani and Perry Como records and he thinks Chubby Checker is a wild new act. 

post #39 of 244
Quote:

I trust all you folks realize Jimmy Iovine is a rock music guy not hip hop? John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Tom Petty to name just a few ... Jimmy Rocks!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #40 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And yet when the new OS X redesign comes out that's all anyone will be talking about (provably mostly the anti flat crowd talking about how much they hate it). Don't worry I'm sure iOS will get plenty of stage time too.

If all they announce is a Mac OS overhaul all people will be talking about is that all they announced was a Mac OS overhaul.

For most devs there that would be an irrelevance.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC