or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC - Page 6

post #201 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozartian View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Are you a musician?  I am, and in book, I don't consider rap to be music.  It's talking or yelling or whatever they are doing.  But it isn't music.  It certainly anything enjoyable to listen to unless you are some kid that's pissed off at the world and this your way of showing it by listening to it or creating it.  That's all it is.  Immature form of expression being marketed as music.


God, the music industry has done a number on society.

 

 

Would you want your computer to start up with a musical passage or chime or some as swipe saying "You whore nigga bitch" instead. don't tell me, let me guess.

 

 

Dr. Blank, Benjamin Frost, others...

 

The only"Immature form of expression" here are your rants about an art form you know nothing about.

 

Let me start out to say that I am a performer and a composer with over 20 years of experience. I studied piano and composition with some of the top composers and performers of our day. When I was younger I competed in international piano competitions, playing Bach, Mozart, Bethoven Chopin, Scarlatti, Rachmaninoff,  Liszt and others. I made my early living performing chamber music in Duets, Quintets etc. whenever and wherever I could. I made the most of my opportunities. 

 

I have been composing for nearly as long, and am lucky enough now, to be in a position to lead my own groups who perform music that I have composed. Some of the that have performed my music are contemporary classical music. Other are more alt/rock/pop/electronic based. It is possible that you may have heard some of the music that I have composed, or not, as I protect my identity under several pseudonyms. 

 

Either way, if any musician that I work with ever expressed to me the closed mindedness attitudes that you have displayed, I would kick them out of my group so quickly they wouldn't have time to react.

 

"Real" musicians simply do no carry those sort of attitude. Jazz music, for example, was considered to be 'degenerate' music of whorehouses and dance halls. Now it is taught in Universities. Rock music such as the Rolling Stones or Velvet Underground were associated with the drug counterculture. Perhaps they all were. So what? Its all part of the human experience and has some value either way. 

 

The reason that Hip-Hop has become so dominant in our culture is because it is so open. There is not one genre of music that Hip-Hop does not borrow from or gain influence; whether its jazz, classical rock, country, anything... It's all there.. Because it is so transmutable and universal in it's appeal, there is not one country in the world that doesn't have it's own brand of hip-hop. It embraces modern technology.  It is a truly global phenomenon.

 

I can see why you don't like it, because it's values of openness and technological progress are diametrically opposed to everything that that you have said you stand for.

If you're so blinkered as to kick people out of your group for expressing views contrary to yours, you must be a bundle of joy to work with. I can see why you strive to protect your identity so earnestly.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #202 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Since when does one have to listen to all forms of music to recognize it as music? I don't listen to Mariachi but it's still music. But you know the difference, instead of acknowledging any of the examples you've been given that clearly show a vast arrangements of instrumental and vocal music accompanying rapping on rap songs you're defending your racially fueled position through straw man and other argumentative fallacies. If I point out the music that Dr. Dre produces you claim it's all electronic and therefore "not a real instrument since it uses a machine" even though all musical instruments are machines. If I then point that Daft Punk uses machines you then say, "Well, that's different." but you stop short of saying it's because they're not "the blacks" and state "it's not very good and barely classifies."

You're too afraid to even consider something outside your limited scope of knowledge as acceptable because it frightens you too much. You remind me of this mandolin player I unfortunately knew. He got kicked out of every band he was in. Not because he wasn't good at that one instrument but because he was too much of elitist ass to work with.

I'm just looking at it from the aspect of does it fulfill the basic requirements for the term "MUSIC".  I just think that's important.  So I should be chastised for using some of the education I have had to apply it to a form of popular music that I really don't like listening to.  It doesn't make me feel happy, it doesn't relax me, it doesn't move me to want to dance to it, so to me, it's useless and i just see first hand what the RAP CULTURE is doing to the kids growing up and they are ending up not wanting to go to school or college and they would rather smoke pot, drink alcohol and call eat other niggas, bitches and ho's.  And I just don't think that's acceptable.  And you think I'm WRONG to think this way?  Really?

 

Here's a link to the list and their definitions to explain each one.

 

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnerstheory/a/musicelements.htm

 

What these rap artists haven't done is become accepted in the poetry world for their poetry. If they got a college to teach how to develop a rap poetry as a legitimate form of training, then it becomes LEGITIMATE.  Poets that become famous usually have some serious education in poetry, the rules and guidelines in the different styles of poetry throughout the years.  Good lyricists usually have spent time reading the works of the great poets of the world so they have an understanding of how to use words to create emotions and images, etc. POP culture throws a lot of stuff out the window because the record labels and artists in the pop put MONEY and FAME above art when they shouldn't.  They didn't use to do this, but it's becoming obvious that money and fame is more important than the quality. Some good has come of it, but a lot of trash has also, it's trying to sift through the trash to find the nuggets of gold and every day, there is less golden nuggets of REAL music to be had.  It's sad too.

And while they're at it, they should give those street musicians that play on a plastic bucket a recording contract to see how rich and famous they can make him for playing solely on a plastic bucket.  I know the Blue Man group has had success using PVC and other objects not normally considered musical instruments.  but the thing is,, those guys are and HAVE to be SERIOUSLY SKILLED AND TRAINED DRUMMERS and I mean SERIOUS Drum Corp chops and background, so those guys ARE TRAINED musicians.  They are performing more percussion assemble work. It's more of a performance art because I don't know of too many people that will buy a CD and listen to it, because it's more visual.  I can handle them a couple of times, but I don't have the desire to play with them or learn how to do what they are doing, but I can certainly appreciate and respect their level of abilities. They do certainly warrant getting an audience.


Edited by drblank - 5/14/14 at 2:22pm
post #203 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozartian View Post

Let me start out to say that I am a performer and a composer with over 20 years of experience. I studied piano and composition with some of the top composers and performers of our day. When I was younger I competed in international piano competitions, playing Bach, Mozart, Bethoven Chopin, Scarlatti, Rachmaninoff,  Liszt and others. I made my early living performing chamber music in Duets, Quintets etc. whenever and wherever I could. I made the most of my opportunities.

I have 3 years of violin and 12 years of piano under my belt. As a youth my parents (read: mother) felt I should I study these instruments and learn to play classical. I have done some composition on my own and taken plenty of classes but certainly not to the level in which you describe. For me, I ultimately consider it a waste when I am more geared toward scientific pursuits (which I know can be done within music) but I would much prefer to listen than to compose or play. I would have preferred to have had a personal computer in the house instead of using my first one when I was in my early 20's. I went from never using Windows back when NT 3.51 was transitioning to Windows 4.0. It was a toss up between Novell and Windows for some multi-week crash courses. Didn't take me long to realize how much I love the communication side of computing and moved into Cisco networking. I have no idea what synaptic pathways all that music created but I still feel that time could have been better spent as I struggle now to grasp both the Objective-C and Spanish languages.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #204 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I have 3 years of violin and 12 years of piano under my belt. As a youth my parents (read: mother) felt I should I study these instruments and learn to play classical. I have done some composition on my own and taken plenty of classes but certainly not to the level in which you describe. For me, I ultimately consider it a waste when I am more geared toward scientific pursuits (which I know can be done within music) but I would much prefer to listen than to compose or play. I would have preferred to have had a personal computer in the house instead of using my first one when I was in my early 20's. I went from never using Windows back when NT 3.51 was transitioning to Windows 4.0. It was a toss up between Novell and Windows for some multi-week crash courses. Didn't take me long to realize how much I love the communication side of computing and moved into Cisco networking. I have no idea what synaptic pathways all that music created but I still feel that time could have been better spent as I struggle now to grasp both the Objective-C and Spanish languages.

Understanding the basic elements of music is not using science.  It's using music theory as defined by music scholars.  now if you just want to throw that out the window because it makes you feel like you less of a racist towards illiterate people that have not studied how to play a musical instrument.  I don't like promoting illiteracy, violence in music, degrading of women, etc. and I guess if you like it and want to promote it, then I think you are VERY naive as to how it's negatively affecting our society.

 

I'll be willing to bet you are a hypocrite in that you've never even hung around the rappers while they are smoking pot, drinking, and degrading their girlfriends or your wife in front of you. Go spend a couple of months getting intrenched in the REAL rap community and REALLY get a sense of what's all about.   Oh, and since you are in the computer industry, why don't you hire some gangster to help you administrate a computer network.  They don't need any real qualifications to play what you call music, so they shouldn't need any training and experience in how to administrate a Novell or Cisco network and shouldn't have to spend one single minute trying to explain them what you are doing.  All you need to do is give them the admin password and let them run loose.  Enjoy hiring a gangster rapper from the streets to help you administer a computer network.  And how many gangster rappers have you hired and worked with?  And you are calling me racist?  And how many black people without any computer training have you ever hired and worked with?  Sounds like your racist against hiring blacks in the computer industry.  

 

Yeah, like the IT Industry is going to start putting out ads to pay equal pay to kids with no high school diploma of GED, not able to speak any language like English, no college experience, no experience using Novell, Microsoft or Cisco products a $80 to $125K a year job.  When you do and you think they are reliable and honest hard workers that do just as good of a job as someone that does have the same education, experience and background you do, let me know. Until then, I see right through your hypocritical nonsense.

 

Let let your screen name get to your head. 

 

And, how many rappers have you played music with and did you enjoy the experience?  Seriously, walk the walk.


Edited by drblank - 5/14/14 at 3:00pm
post #205 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Understanding the basic elements of music is not using science.  It's using music theory as defined by music scholars.  now if you just want to throw that out the window because it makes you feel like you less of a racist towards illiterate people that have not studied how to play a musical instrument.  I don't like promoting illiteracy, violence in music, degrading of women, etc. and I guess if you like it and want to promote it, then I think you are VERY naive as to how it's negatively affecting our society.

I'll be willing to bet you are a hypocrite in that you've never even hung around the rappers while they are smoking pot, drinking, and degrading their girlfriends or your wife in front of you. Go spend a couple of months getting intrenched in the REAL rap community and REALLY get a sense of what's all about.   Oh, and since you are in the computer industry, why don't you hire some gangster to help you administrate a computer network.  They don't need any real qualifications to play what you call music, so they shouldn't need any training and experience in how to administrate a Novell or Cisco network and shouldn't have to spend one single minute trying to explain them what you are doing.  All you need to do is give them the admin password and let them run loose.  Enjoy hiring a gangster rapper from the streets to help you administer a computer network.  And how many gangster rappers have you hired and worked with?  And you are calling me racist?  And how many black people without any computer training have you ever hired and worked with?  Sounds like your racist against hiring blacks in the computer industry.  

Yeah, like the IT Industry is going to start putting out ads to pay equal pay to kids with no high school diploma of GED, not able to speak any language like English, no college experience, no experience using Novell, Microsoft or Cisco products a $80 to $125K a year job.  When you do and you think they are reliable and honest hard workers that do just as good of a job as someone that does have the same education, experience and background you do, let me know. Until then, I see right through your hypocritical nonsense.

Let let your screen name get to your head. 

And, how many rappers have you played music with and did you enjoy the experience?  Seriously, walk the walk.

Holy shit balls! I didn't think your crazy went to 11. Your "logic" that if I've never hired, say, a drummer who has no networking engineering skills it must mean I'm a hypocrite who doesn't think drummers are viable members of society and therefore must admit that drumming can't produce real music is fucking out there, Dude.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #206 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



Holy shit balls! I didn't think your crazy went to 11. Your "logic" that if I've never hired, say, a drummer who has no networking engineering skills it must mean I'm a hypocrite who doesn't think drummers are viable members of society and therefore must admit that drumming can't produce real music is fucking out there, Dude.

 



You didn't read what I wrote. Go back and READ IT AGAIN. Please. Calm down, drink some Camomile tea and take a chill pill. THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID.
post #207 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I struggle now to grasp... the Spanish languages.

Take a look at DuoLingo
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #208 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Holy shit balls! I didn't think your crazy went to 11. Your "logic" that if I've never hired, say, a drummer who has no networking engineering skills it must mean I'm a hypocrite who doesn't think drummers are viable members of society and therefore must admit that drumming can't produce real music is fucking out there, Dude.

No, go hire one of these rap culture people that don't have a HIGH SCHOOL diploma, a GED, or no experience with networking equipment or software that only speaks Ebonics, wears their pants below their rear end showing their underwear that only like to call people niggas, women bitches, and smokes pot, carries a concealed weapon.  This type of person is very much part of the rap culture and this is what you seem to like to promote, so hire them and pay them $80 to $150K a year to manage your network.  Yeah, like THAT will ever happen.

 

A drummer is a musician, they are qualified to create music or portions of the musical performance that requires that area of musical creation.  Someone that has the skill set to manage a network is what you hire to manage a network.  What I'm saying is that rap music predominately doesn't HIRE drummers to create drum parts or sequences to produce what the drummer would NORMALLY do.  Some of them did or do use drummers, but the majority or rap music doesn't use REAL drummers.  So they hire non-drummers and non-musicians to create these so-called beats.  Hence one of the reasons why rap music isn't really music or at least isn't high quality music.  The rest is that singers sing music, rapper rap, but rapping doesn't use melodies and melodies is an integral part of music and for most people that listen to music want to hear melodies, it's what gives us a melodic phrase to sing along to or hum along to.  But rap music pretty much doesn't have melodies, hence why it's not really music, or at least not something I would want to listen to.  The foul language in music?  Sorry, I can handle every once in a while a swear word to emphasis a point because I know some pop singers might say the F word or the S word from time to time, but not in every single sentence or every other word or throughout the entire song.  That's just wrong.  Now as far as degrading language towards women, plain and simple NO. You don't do that, but that's prevalent in rap music.  The rest of the lyrics in most rap music is just degrading to listen to and it fills the minds of children that listen to it and it's just a bad influence. so there is nothing anyone can convince me otherwise.
 

So if the rap music industry predominately doesn't use musicians to create the music, then you should hire these same people that don't have the skill set to manage a  network.  Because this attitude is what you are promoting, yet I defy you to hire a non-network administrator that has no skill set to manage a network that has no ability to speak English and they speak Ebonics instead.


Edited by drblank - 5/14/14 at 6:27pm
post #209 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You didn't read what I wrote. Go back and READ IT AGAIN. Please. Calm down, drink some Camomile tea and take a chill pill. THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID.

This is what you wrote:
Oh, and since you are in the computer industry, why don't you hire some gangster to help you administrate a computer network. They don't need any real qualifications to play what you call music, so they shouldn't need any training and experience in how to administrate a Novell or Cisco network and shouldn't have to spend one single minute trying to explain them what you are doing. All you need to do is give them the admin password and let them run loose. Enjoy hiring a gangster rapper from the streets to help you administer a computer network. And how many gangster rappers have you hired and worked with? And you are calling me racist? And how many black people without any computer training have you ever hired and worked with? Sounds like your racist against hiring blacks in the computer industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Take a look at DuoLingo

I've logged a lot of hours on DuoLingo. Fantastic and beautiful app/website, which is synced across devices and their web interface. It's designed well to cover many aspects of vocabulary and simple usage forms, and even takes the time between lessons into account in determining if you should repeat a section again. Amazing app all around.

Unfortunately my shortcomings aren't with what Duolingo has been able to teach me. I can now figure out most Spanish I see written but I am still unable to discern what I hear, even when the speaker slows down in an attempt to accommodate me and I'm still unable to speak back anything other than short, canned sentences still take far to long to form. And my pronunciation is simply atrocious that even when I do speak a simple sentences the listener often doesn't know what I'm saying.

It's been less than a year since I started on this journey so perhaps I'm being too hard on myself but during my AI hiatus last Autumn and Winter I was spending about 40 hours a week between my class, homework, private tutor, and Spanish groups I found on Meetup.com. I thought that level of emergence (without specifically residing in a primarily Spanish speaking country) would make it come more naturally. Everyday I study but it feels like I'm making no progress.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/14/14 at 6:37pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #210 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

No, go hire one of these rap culture people that don't have a HIGH SCHOOL diploma, a GED, or no experience with networking equipment or software that only speaks Ebonics, wears their pants below their rear end showing their underwear that only like to call people niggas, women bitches, and smokes pot, carries a concealed weapon.  This type of person is very much part of the rap culture and this is what you seem to like to promote, so hire them and pay them $80 to $150K a year to manage your network.  Yeah, like THAT will ever happen.

A drummer is a musician, they are qualified to create music or portions of the musical performance that requires that area of musical creation.  Someone that has the skill set to manage a network is what you hire to manage a network.  What I'm saying is that rap music predominately doesn't HIRE drummers to create drum parts or sequences to produce what the drummer would NORMALLY do.  Some of them did or do use drummers, but the majority or rap music doesn't use REAL drummers.  So they hire non-drummers and non-musicians to create these so-called beats.  Hence one of the reasons why rap music isn't really music or at least isn't high quality music.  The rest is that singers sing music, rapper rap, but rapping doesn't use melodies and melodies is an integral part of music and for most people that listen to music want to hear melodies, it's what gives us a melodic phrase to sing along to or hum along to.  But rap music pretty much doesn't have melodies, hence why it's not really music, or at least not something I would want to listen to.  The foul language in music?  Sorry, I can handle every once in a while a swear word to emphasis a point because I know some pop singers might say the F word or the S word from time to time, but not in every single sentence or every other word or throughout the entire song.  That's just wrong.  Now as far as degrading language towards women, plain and simple NO. You don't do that, but that's prevalent in rap music.  The rest of the lyrics in most rap music is just degrading to listen to and it fills the minds of children that listen to it and it's just a bad influence. so there is nothing anyone can convince me otherwise.

So if the rap music industry predominately doesn't use musicians to create the music, then you should hire these same people that don't have the skill set to manage a  network.  Because this attitude is what you are promoting, yet I defy you to hire a non-network administrator that has no skill set to manage a network that has no ability to speak English and they speak Ebonics instead.

It's fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking amazing you don't realize the extent of your racially fueled hatred that you've convinced yourself is only because it's not real music.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #211 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, as I can plainly see, YOU FORGOT THE BASIC ELEMENTS OF MUSIC.

As much as you appear to know, YOU FORGOT to mention the basic elements of music.


Let me refresh your memory.

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnerstheory/a/musicelements.htm

Have you tested rap music to see if it adhere to these basic elements of music?  Obvioulsy, you forgot to include MELODY.

Rapping isn't singing.  If they aren't singing, they aren't creating music.  Let me know when a reputable higher learning institution teaches kids how to create rap lyrics and rap music.   When they do, then MAYBE I'll listen to you.

All the music industry is doing is trying to capitalize and legitimize illiteracy and musical ignorance and applying the word RAP to it.  It's low grade music.  And i use the term lightly.

Glad I don't work with you, I wouldn't want to damage my reputation in this world by pandering to the lowest common demoninator.

You must think Justin Blieber is an excellent songwriter singer too!!

Open?  No. It's becoming popular because it gives the kids a way/excuse to not study Englsih, not study Music, and to walk around with their underwear hanging out, while they smoke pot, drink alcohol, do drugs, steal, degrade women and each other, get involved with guns, go in/out of the jail system and then blame society.


Miles Davis and others during the age when they were creating music that was combining REAL musical art forms that actually have and adhere to music and then pursuing forms of improvisation is OPEN.  RAP is closed.  You have to act like them, talk like them, look like them otherwise you don't fit their mold and they reject you, so THEY are the racists ones just trying to manipulate educated musicians into thinking it's special.

So, when does the London Symphony Orchestra ready to combine classical music and rap and put on a concert?  That will NEVER happen.

You are a disgrace to the music industry by promoting rap IMO.


Obviously, the top jazz musicians that even hinted of using rap with Jazz all failed at it because they don't do anything with it.  They might have experimented with it, but it didn't fit them moving forward. Yeah, like Herbie Hancock is going to bring a rapper to destroy his band's music when he performs with one of his V.S.O.P. groups.  That'll  never happen.

You are a SELL OUT.  Plenty of those around.

It would be interesting to see how one would chart out a rap song.     It's pretty hard to chart out a melody when they aren't singing a melody unless they through Auto Tune on the vocals to force it to a musical note.  Freaking BS  music.  There, I classified as music, but I also put the letters BS in front of it to describe what TYPE of music it is.  Happy Now?  My, Nigga...   (Nigga is being used to mean the word "friend")

I can only imagine what albums you have.

Motzart
Copeland
Miles Davis
Dr. Dre
Justin Bieber
Vanilla Ice
Strauss
Devo
Anthrax
N.W.A.

So, when you perform your next rap concert?  Have you ever performed at one?  Just curious.  Do you have any rap albums I can listen to that you composed and performed?  I'm open minded enough to listen to it to see if I like it.  

Oh and your definition of "REAL" musicians is the ONLY definition?  Well, the "REAL" musicians that I've played with and studied from won't touch rap music with a 10 foot pole.  They hate.it.  They see no value in it.

Thee BASIC ELEMENTS were once earth, air, water, and fire, but we now know that's not true. The definition of anything isn't written in stone and is agreed upon by mere men which then allows other men the right to change it.

Did Steve Jobs not go against conventional ideals? He was a master at reimagining the status quo. How is this any different?

I clearly remember back in the 70s when Rock was the devil's music, and the musicians were devil worshippers. I remember seeing on the news records being played backwards to see if there were any satanic messages. Any new form of music is criticized and referred to as not being music. You have every right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to define what music is.

Btw some of the biggest rap stars at the moment are Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Go check them out, and see if they fit the mold you insist a rapper needs to fit.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #212 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You have every right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to define what music is.

I'd argue he has the right to redefine anything he wants for his own personal usage, and he can even work to get others to adopt his new definitions, but for him to also ignore every definition that goes against his "views" is absurdity wrapped in ignorance.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #213 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Thee BASIC ELEMENTS were once earth, air, water, and fire, but we now know that's not true. The definition of anything isn't written in stone and is agreed upon by mere men which then allows other men the right to change it.

Did Steve Jobs not go against conventional ideals? He was a master at reimagining the status quo. How is this any different?

I clearly remember back in the 70s when Rock was the devil's music, and the musicians were devil worshippers. I remember seeing on the news records being played backwards to see if there were any satanic messages. Any new form of music is criticized and referred to as not being music. You have every right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to define what music is.

Btw some of the biggest rap stars at the moment are Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Go check them out, and see if they fit the mold you insist a rapper needs to fit.

I'm not talking about the basic elements of the earth, I'm talking about the basic elements of MUSIC.  So why are you trying to change the subject? 

 

Why are you bringing Steve Jobs into the subject?  Did he calling his colleagues niggas, bitches, ho's, and only talking Ebonics?

 

I can understand going against conventional ideas..  That's fine.  That's why I listen to music that not conventional for this society.  But it has a lot of great musicianship and fuses lots of styles of music that has been formalized throughout the years and what they do is fuse different musical genres to create something unique and then add improvisation to it so it makes it even more artistic and unique so each performance is a work of art.  That's what I like to listen to much of the time.

 

Oh, I know the whole BS behind what happened with Rock.  No, I'm not going to go there, other than the rock bands that have Satanistic crap throughout their lyrics, and everything they do in their theatrics.  That to me is just immature, boring and I don't give it much of my time.  

 

What the Beatles and Stones etc. did was new, different, etc.  A lot of what they did back then was drug and alcohol induced good/bad.  yeah, I know been there seen it, yada yada yada.  Some of it got really glamorized in the media, etc. and the kids growing up got hooked into it. I really wish it didn't have that element looking back in retrospect.  I know a LOT of people that got screwed up by drugs and alcohol and it's not pretty to see the effects of what that stuff. Some wised up and got away from it and didn't.  It's caused a bunch of talented people to die much too early.  Which is what people have to realize.

 

But at LEAST, the majority of the rock music that came out of the 60's and 70's was created by musicians with varying levels of musicianship, whether they could all read and write music is one thing, but some of them were VERY much a fan of and listened and studied a log of forms of music including, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Latin, Classical Indian, maybe even some other lessor known musical forms that have theory and rules for creating it and that this was blended together to create unique songs and they were just getting exposed to new recording techniques and special effects that they experimented with etc.  A lot of cool stuff came out of it, and a lot of not so cool stuff, but the majority of it was really keen on melody lines, and musicianship (as best as they could).  Now, people seem to throw that away.  Kids today that get into the pop market don't study these genres mentioned all that much and they mostly just try to mimic their favorite singer and that's what's missing.  If these kids can't study these earlier forms of music and really understand it, then all they do is come up with copying someone else's style, and ending up being cliche and a copycat. Not much originality.   And then we have the people that seem to not even care about learning ANYTHING about music creating "SO-CALLED MUSIC" and then we reach a new level of lower level musicianship or what should have some musicianship, but they prefer NO musicianship.  And that's certain types of music that gets sold and popularized.  Oh well.

 

I'm finding myself more interested less and less in anything popular and going back to just getting my old catalog updated with better digital remasters of the music I've grown to love because I can STILL listen it years later and STILL enjoy just as much as I did when I was younger. It's not that I'm stuck in the past, it's because there really isn't much today that's actually interesting, but I do find a few gems here and there.

 

Oh, I checked out Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Can't Hold Us.  Here's my HONEST take on it.

 

So far, it starts out with music, good start.the heavily processed vocal ruins it and then the BS rapping begins.  Nope, Once he starts rapping is where the sense of musicianship stops because the background noises wasn't programmed by a musician, it was programmed by one of these SOUND STYLISTS or whatever term they call them.  Oh well. Another bunch of BS if you ask me.  I thought because he interjected some African rhythms or the classical piece, they were not an integral part of the music, just the intro.   Oh, and then he gets that wannabe singer with heavy use of Pitch Correction to cover up the fact that he can't sing.      Nothing for me to get involved with. NEXT....

 

Now, since I did give it an OPEN MIND to listen to it, now go check out an incredible bass player by the name of Michael Manring.  Check out his album The Book of Flame.  Whether he plays with other musicians or by himself (which is what he does normally,) he's insane and just REALLY unique. And this is REAL honest musicianship and ART.

 

Now, if you want old school that's just a classic song, check out the old Stax recording of the Staple singers I'll Take you There.  Classic recording.  They don't create classic songs like this anymore, which is a shame.


Edited by drblank - 5/14/14 at 7:25pm
post #214 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd argue he has the right to redefine anything he wants for his own personal usage, and he can even work to get others to adopt his new definitions, but for him to also ignore every definition that goes against his "views" is absurdity wrapped in ignorance.

I was interrupted and lost my train of thought. The end of the sentence I forgot was "for everyone else". If he wants to hold on to conventional definitions he has that right. He really sounds like all the people that never thought SJ could create a successful phone because they were the 'phone' people, and Apple was not.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #215 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm not talking about the basic elements of the earth, I'm talking about the basic elements of MUSIC.  So why are you trying to change the subject? 

Why are you bringing Steve Jobs into the subject?  Did he calling his colleagues niggas, bitches, ho's, and only talking Ebonics?

I can understand going against conventional ideas..  That's fine.  That's why I listen to music that not conventional for this society.  But it has a lot of great musicianship and fuses lots of styles of music that has been formalized throughout the years and what they do is fuse different musical genres to create something unique and then add improvisation to it so it makes it even more artistic and unique so each performance is a work of art.  That's what I like to listen to much of the time.

Oh, I know the whole BS behind what happened with Rock.  No, I'm not going to go there, other than the rock bands that have Satanistic crap throughout their lyrics, and everything they do in their theatrics.  That to me is just immature, boring and I don't give it much of my time.  

What the Beatles and Stones etc. did was new, different, etc.  A lot of what they did back then was drug and alcohol induced good/bad.  yeah, I know been there seen it, yada yada yada.  Some of it got really glamorized in the media, etc. and the kids growing up got hooked into it. I really wish it didn't have that element looking back in retrospect.  I know a LOT of people that got screwed up by drugs and alcohol and it's not pretty to see the effects of what that stuff. Some wised up and got away from it and didn't.  It's caused a bunch of talented people to die much too early.  Which is what people have to realize.

But at LEAST, the majority of the rock music that came out of the 60's and 70's was created by musicians with varying levels of musicianship, whether they could all read and write music is one thing, but some of them were VERY much a fan of and listened and studied a log of forms of music including, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Latin, Classical Indian, maybe even some other lessor known musical forms that have theory and rules for creating it and that this was blended together to create unique songs and they were just getting exposed to new recording techniques and special effects that they experimented with etc.  A lot of cool stuff came out of it, and a lot of not so cool stuff, but the majority of it was really keen on melody lines, and musicianship (as best as they could).  Now, people seem to throw that away.  Kids today that get into the pop market don't study these genres mentioned all that much and they mostly just try to mimic their favorite singer and that's what's missing.  If these kids can't study these earlier forms of music and really understand it, then all they do is come up with copying someone else's style, and ending up being cliche and a copycat. Not much originality.   And then we have the people that seem to not even care about learning ANYTHING about music creating "SO-CALLED MUSIC" and then we reach a new level of lower level musicianship or what should have some musicianship, but they prefer NO musicianship.  And that's certain types of music that gets sold and popularized.  Oh well.

I'm finding myself more interested less and less in anything popular and going back to just getting my old catalog updated with better digital remasters of the music I've grown to love because I can STILL listen it years later and STILL enjoy just as much as I did when I was younger. It's not that I'm stuck in the past, it's because there really isn't much today that's actually interesting, but I do find a few gems here and there.

Oh, I checked out Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Can't Hold Us.  Here's my HONEST take on it.

So far, it starts out with music, good start.the heavily processed vocal ruins it and then the BS rapping begins.  Nope, Once he starts rapping is where the sense of musicianship stops because the background noises wasn't programmed by a musician, it was programmed by one of these SOUND STYLISTS or whatever term they call them.  Oh well. Another bunch of BS if you ask me.  I thought because he interjected some African rhythms or the classical piece, they were not an integral part of the music, just the intro.   Oh, and then he gets that wannabe singer with heavy use of Pitch Correction to cover up the fact that he can't sing.      Nothing for me to get involved with. NEXT....

Now, since I did give it an OPEN MIND to listen to it, now go check out an incredible bass player by the name of Michael Manring.  Check out his album The Book of Flame.  Whether he plays with other musicians or by himself (which is what he does normally,) he's insane and just REALLY unique. And this is REAL honest musicianship and ART.

Now, if you want old school that's just a classic song, check out the old Stax recording of the Staple singers I'll Take you There.  Classic recording.  They don't create classic songs like this anymore, which is a shame.

Michael Manring is definitely very talented, thanks for sharing that. When it comes to bass playing I'm more of a Les Claypool fan. The youth will be just fine. Have you ever seen Rodrigo and Gabriela?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9hvyDvKHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Btw I'm sure Beethoven and Mozart would be aghast at some of what you consider music.
Edited by dasanman69 - 5/14/14 at 7:52pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #216 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Michael Manring is definitely very talented, thanks for sharing that. When it comes to bass playing I'm more of a Les Claypool fan. The youth will be just fine. Have you ever seen Rodrigo and Gabriela?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9hvyDvKHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Btw I'm sure Beethoven and Mozart would be aghast at some of what you consider music.

Well, There not around to make the comment so I would speak on their behalf unless you know them personally.  Obviously, you haven't heard what McLaughlin has done with various symphony orchestra over the years.  George Martin considers the album he did with McLaughlin was one of the best records he (Martin) ever made.  So, I don't know if Beethoween and Mozart would not like McLaughlin. He would at least stretch your brain to fuse Eastern and Western influences and then take them to another level of improvisation that's just impossible to mimic.  He's looked up to by ALL guitar players in any genre.  He's the REAL deal.  No gimmicks. No cliches.

 

I'm actually a big fan of the old school original Fusion players.  They are the one's that REALLY understand musical genres and how to combine them to create a new and VERY original form of music and be able to improvise on top and interact with each other.

 

As far as Flamenco, Paco is the one I prefer, even though he passed away.  Mclaughlin is my all time favorite and he's just beyond genius level. 

 

Rodrigo and Gabriela are a little on the gimmicky side for my taste. Certainly talented, but not deep enough melodically speaking.

post #217 of 244

OK for those that are NOT familiar with the word SONG.  Here's some definitions for you.

 

Oh and take notice of the section where it discusses SINGING.  There isn't any reference to the word RAPPING lyrics.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

 

Here's a section that is most important.  READ AND WEEP.

 

"In music, a song is a composition for voice or voices, performed by singing or alongside musical instruments. A choral or vocal song may be accompanied by musical instruments, or it may be unaccompanied, as in the case of a cappella songs." Wikipedia.

 

Oh and it says basically the same thing in a variety of dictionaries, but I think this is the best version to use IMO.

post #218 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

OK for those that are NOT familiar with the word SONG.  Here's some definitions for you.

Oh and take notice of the section where it discusses SINGING.  There isn't any reference to the word RAPPING lyrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

Here's a section that is most important.  READ AND WEEP.

"In music
, a song is a composition
 for voice
 or voices, performed by singing
 or alongside musical instruments
. A choral or vocal song may be accompanied by musical instruments
, or it may be unaccompanied, as in the case of a cappella
 songs." Wikipedia.

Oh and it says basically the same thing in a variety of dictionaries, but I think this is the best version to use IMO.

Your argument wasn't that it wasn't some definition of a song because it didn't have a vocal singing, but that it wasn't music, even though you were given plenty of examples that included vocal singing. Regardless, no matter you spin it you're wrong that rap music isn't music.

song |sôNG|
noun
• a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.
• singing or vocal music.
• a musical composition suggestive of a song.
• a poem, esp. one in rhymed stanzas.


music |ˈmyo͞ozik|
noun
• vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
• the art or science of composing or performing music.
• the written or printed signs representing vocal or instrumental sound.
• the score or scores of a musical composition or compositions.


So how exactly is it possible to have sheet music for something that you claim isn't music?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #219 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Your argument wasn't that it wasn't some definition of a song because it didn't have a vocal singing, but that it wasn't music, even though you were given plenty of examples that included vocal singing. Regardless, no matter you spin it you're wrong that rap music isn't music.

song |sôNG|
noun
• a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.
• singing or vocal music.
• a musical composition suggestive of a song.
• a poem, esp. one in rhymed stanzas.


music |ˈmyo͞ozik|
noun
• vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
• the art or science of composing or performing music.
• the written or printed signs representing vocal or instrumental sound.
• the score or scores of a musical composition or compositions.


So how exactly is it possible to have sheet music for something that you claim isn't music?

Did you have to run the vocals through Auto Tune or were they already run through Auto Tune to make it appear like it's music?

 


I'll bet you will have a tough time finding brothers from the hood able to read and reproduce that chart without having heard the song before hand.  They probably couldn't sight read.

 

And where's the music portion? Does it have drum, bass, guitar, keyboard, horn, string or any other MUSICAL instrument parts charted?
 

Rapping is not singing, but in songs, there's singing.  

 

Plus the chart's too small for me to even read it.  Post a pdf version so I can actually tell what the chart says.  It's not supposed to an eye chart to test my eyesight.  

 

 

Run Dr. Dre's stuff chart that out.  

 

And is there harmony?  It does say harmony doesn't it?  

post #220 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

...brothers from the hood...

Nope, no racism there¡
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/15/14 at 8:13am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #221 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Nope, no racism there¡

That's not being racist.   When I would play funk, R&B music with people that were black, that's how THEY would refer it.   But you wouldn't know that because you've never hung out with people from the hood.  That's how they talk and if you can assimilate with them, then you can't belong in their cliche.  

post #222 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here's something else, although unrelated…


I guess Jay-Z now has a 100 problems.

Including Solange, that'd be 101. 😃

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #223 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That's not being racist.   When I would play funk, R&B music with people that were black, that's how THEY would refer it.   But you wouldn't know that because you've never hung out with people from the hood.  That's how they talk and if you can assimilate with them, then you can't belong in their cliche.  

Waitaminnit... Are you also a doctor?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #224 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Waitaminnit... Are you also a doctor?

I never said I was a doctor.  That's what you ASSUME.  maybe it's just  a screen name.  Dr. Dre isn't a doctor and he goes by the name Dr. Dre where it's pronounced DOCTOR. But my screen name isn't DrBlank is it?  NOPE.   I was very CAREFUL NOT to spell it DrBlank.  Because that's not my name or screen name.


Jeeez.......  Again, twisting words around to make something up that isn't true.

post #225 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I never said I was a doctor.  That's what you ASSUME.  maybe it's just  a screen name.  Dr. Dre isn't a doctor and he goes by the name Dr. Dre where it's pronounced DOCTOR. But my screen name isn't DrBlank is it?  NOPE.   I was very CAREFUL NOT to spell it DrBlank.  Because that's not my name or screen name.


Jeeez.......  Again, twisting words around to make something up that isn't true.

So is your name Donald R. Blank?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #226 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Including Solange, that'd be 101. 😃

He has 99 problem so Solange, whom some might consider to be additional problem as the bitch, would be one more thus bringing the total to 100.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #227 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Your argument wasn't that it wasn't some definition of a song because it didn't have a vocal singing, but that it wasn't music, even though you were given plenty of examples that included vocal singing. Regardless, no matter you spin it you're wrong that rap music isn't music.

song |sôNG|
noun
• a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.
• singing or vocal music.
• a musical composition suggestive of a song.
• a poem, esp. one in rhymed stanzas.


music |ˈmyo͞ozik|
noun
• vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
• the art or science of composing or performing music.
• the written or printed signs representing vocal or instrumental sound.
• the score or scores of a musical composition or compositions.


So how exactly is it possible to have sheet music for something that you claim isn't music?

Since I don't normally listen to Kanye, I do know he was notorious for using lots of AutoTune to make it appear like he's singing.  I went and listening to the track and that's what he's doing which isn't what Dr. Dre and a lot of rappers are doing when they rap.  When they rap to rap, it's not using AutoTune or some form of pitch correction to make it SOUND like they are singing.  That's what's going on with this song, he's actually more singing it rather than rapping it.  But if you listen to the song, it's a mess.  I don't think there's a single musician playing any of the "MUSIC" of this song. Now, there are some background singers, but Kanye isn't is kind of singing/rapping.  It's still annoying to listen to so it's not creating beauty on any level for me.  I don't see this song as anything beautiful, it's just a c-rap song.  

 

God, you just seem to want to waste my time.  

 

Have a nice life. This stuff isn't anything to listen to if one wants to study MUSIC.

 

And you got to Kanye West concerts?  Do you bring earplugs?

post #228 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


So is your name Donald R. Blank?

Huh?  WAY OFF.  It's a SCREEN name.  It's meant to confuse you.

post #229 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


He has 99 problem so Solange, whom some might consider to be additional problem as the bitch, would be one more thus bringing the total to 100.

Glad I don't socialize with that crowd. Nothing but trouble. 

post #230 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Since I don't normally listen to Kanye

Of course you don't, but you've still claimed that anything considered in the rap genre isn't music.
Quote:
That's what's going on with this song, he's actually more singing it rather than rapping it. […] Now, there are some background singers, but Kanye isn't is kind of singing/rapping.

Which you finally admitting, albeit is the shittiest way possible, that you have been wrong this whole time.
Quote:
God, you just seem to want to waste my time.  

Have a nice life.

Now that you've admitting there is music and signing within a rap song you've lost so what is there for you to complain about except to say it's shitty music, but your opinion the music was neither a question nor a concern.
Quote:
And you got to Kanye West concerts?  Do you bring earplugs?

I don't care for concerts. I dislike crowds, lines and waiting. I dislike the excessively loud and usually poor acoustics, even in large venues designed for it. Oh, I've been to plenty and since you've already made libel remarks as to what I would never go to or do there is no reason to mention them here, but I will say that I don't care for the spectacle of it. What people pay for an evening of concert going you couldn't pay me to attend.

Now I do attend symphonies (operas and plays) and even though they also have crowds, lines and some waiting there is usually valet parking and much more relaxed atmosphere. Never do I leave those venues wanting to punch the next person that steps on my foot.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/15/14 at 9:03am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #231 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Of course you don't, but you've still claimed that anything considered in the rap genre isn't music.
Which you finally admitting, albeit is the shittiest way possible, that you have been wrong this whole time.
Now that you've admitting there is music and signing within a rap song you've lost so what is there for you to complain about except to say it's shitty music, but your opinion the music was neither a question nor a concern.
I don't care for concerts. I dislike crowds, lines and waiting. I dislike the excessively loud and usually poor acoustics, even in large venues designed for it. Oh, I've been to plenty and since you've already made libel remarks as to what I would never go to or do there is no reason to mention them here, but I will say that I don't care for the spectacle of it. What people pay for an evening of concert going you couldn't pay me to attend.

Now I do attend symphonies (operas and plays) and even though they also have crowds, lines and some waiting there is usually valet parking and much more relaxed atmosphere. Never do I leave those venues wanting to punch the next person that steps on my foot.

The thing is, the original forms of early rap (before it was called rap) came from Africa, but it didn't sound like this crap. It was more chanting.   What happens is that cultures where music is originally created, formulates into some form of structure so they can teach the traditional songs.  If you ever studied some of the early rock songs, like Bo Diddly, they were actually African folk songs from South Africa, there are famous folk songs like Gumboots and others that got turned into early forms of rock/R&B,country or whatever songs, etc.

 

Paul Simon knows this, Sting knows this, Peter Gabriel knows this, etc. etc.  The real artists of this world that go to these countries that get accepted because they take the time to go to these countries to study.  THEY can put songs together that are "RAP" influenced but it sounds NOTHING like the crap these so-called rap artists are doing.  I"ve played some of these old South African folk songs with people from that country and to hear them sing a cappella is seriously cool stuff and the chanting they do.  I've heard these people do this sitting 4 feet away.  They had 4 part harmony that was insane, pitch perfect, etc. etc.   But these people are considered MUSICIANS and they grew up learning this stuff and the old traditions of the country.  The come to America and try to bring that part of the culture here, but the blacks in the music industry like Dr. Dre, Kanye West, and others don't get involved with that to really create something worth buying.  All they want to do is use vulgar words, music that causes your ears to bleed due to excessive SPL and it sounds annoying to someone like me that does know how to play these old folk songs from Africa.  But then again, you probably don't have anything in your record collection, have really spent much time learning, etc. So it's probably something you never were exposed to.  I've heard the REAL "rappers' from Africa and Jamaica that aren't this gangster rap BS.  It's TOTALLY different and the way they do in those countries is far closer to music that I would buy and listen to and wouldn't have a problem with.   There is a BIG difference between 

the REAL stuff from Africa and the stuff this country popularizes.

 

 

But this Kanye West song would BARELY qualify as music, but it doesn't qualify as anything that I would buy, promote, support, or even want to study even if I was asked to perform this.  I would turn down a gig if they asked me to play this nonsense.   This to me is a way to scam people into thinking they are artists to pay attention to, but due to marketing, people buy it thinking it's music, when it qualifies on some levels, but doesn't on others.  It qualifies in my book as CRAP.   Nothing more. If I were you, go study music from Africa from the REAL African musicians.  Go listen to Baba Maal, Youssou N'Dour, Kene Lam, Angelique Kidju, the list goes on.  THEY make music Kanye makes crap.  you probably would have a tough time listening to the lyrics because it's not all in English and they sing differently than in the US.

 

Thank God I have other music to listen to and enjoy.  The R&B they put out today has almost no relationship to the R&B that I grew up on and enjoy.  It's only R&B by label.  

 

I'll take Earth, Wind and Fire (w/o Boogie Wonderland, that song was one of their few mistakes), Aretha, and all of the REAL R&B from the 60's and 70's over this crap.  The pop music culture has run out of ideas.  Only a SMALL  handful of real artists out there and they all have studied music and learned how to play instruments and keep their integrity intact.  

 

Even many of the record execs that were active in the 70's have been talking about the sad state of affairs in the music industry and that no one seems to be putting out any "CLASSIC" songwriting.  It's a shame, once you start taking out the real musicians out of the equation, you are left with just crap..  Thank God I delved into jazz, world and other music to satisfy my thirst for music.  The pop culture is really running out of air fast and it's no wonder the record labels are selling less music.   It's their own damn fault.


Edited by drblank - 5/15/14 at 9:26am
post #232 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, but this would BARELY qualify as music,

Something either is or isn't defined as music.
Quote:
but it doesn't qualify as anything that I would buy, promote, support, or even want to study even if I was asked to perform this.  I would turn down a gig if they asked me to play this nonsense.

One is concerned with your personal preferences here. You have the right to dislike any music and for any reason, as atrocious as that reason may be.
Quote:
Thank God I have other music to listen to and enjoy.

Thank God music can be recorded so we can playback most music ever made at any time any place.
Quote:
 The R&B they put out today has almost no relationship to the R&B that I grew up on and enjoy.  It's only R&B by label.

But still a relationship which we can follow and discern the influences that the new artists pull from.
Quote:
I'll take Earth, Wind and Fire (w/o Boogie Wonderland, that song was one of their few mistakes), Aretha, and all of the REAL R&B from the 60's and 70's over this crap.  The pop music culture has run out of ideas.  Only a SMALL  handful of real artists out there and they all have studied music and learned how to play instruments and keep their integrity intact.

1) Again, no one is saying your isolated music choices is not music or that you should enjoy other music.

2) You say Pop has run out of ideas which oddly comes after a statement about listening to artists and genres that hasn't had a new idea in a very long time. Today's music has plenty of ideas, it's just ideas you don't like. Nothing wrong with you not liking it but at least accept that change is an act of putting something different into action based on an idea. Not necessarily a good idea but an idea nonetheless.
Quote:
Even many of the record execs that were active in the 70's have been talking about the sad state of affairs in the music industry...

And the ones in every decade said the same thing and will say the same thing in the future. I'm convinced our brains create some "Golden Years" bubble in our memories that make us forget all the crap that goes along with all the nuggets we find.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #233 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Of course you don't, but you've still claimed that anything considered in the rap genre isn't music.
Which you finally admitting, albeit is the shittiest way possible, that you have been wrong this whole time.
Now that you've admitting there is music and signing within a rap song you've lost so what is there for you to complain about except to say it's shitty music, but your opinion the music was neither a question nor a concern.
I don't care for concerts. I dislike crowds, lines and waiting. I dislike the excessively loud and usually poor acoustics, even in large venues designed for it. Oh, I've been to plenty and since you've already made libel remarks as to what I would never go to or do there is no reason to mention them here, but I will say that I don't care for the spectacle of it. What people pay for an evening of concert going you couldn't pay me to attend.

Now I do attend symphonies (operas and plays) and even though they also have crowds, lines and some waiting there is usually valet parking and much more relaxed atmosphere. Never do I leave those venues wanting to punch the next person that steps on my foot.

I never said the word "SHITTY", that you made up, I said to me it's not REAL music and that it's crap.   Most of the pop music that's being put out by a lot of white's is also crap these days.  It's the pop culture in general.  They are losing their ability to create "classic" songs because they are cutting more corners and hiring programmers to program the so-called "music" portion instead of hiring musicians and that's part of the problem.   

What's happening is that kids grow up thinking they don't have to study music and become a music to create music and make a million dollars because most of the music is programmed by non-musicians that know how to use a s/w or sing relying on AutoTune.  Even with these vocal contest shows they have, many of them barely really know music but they are really good at mimicking their favorite celebrity singer, but they are only mimicking a style to do a Karaoke version.  Just look at the Voice, one of the best and more experienced singers got voted off this season and last season that had some REAL vocal chops but because they were older black women, they voted them off in preference to someone else that couldn't hold a candle to these women.  I was shocked people don't appreciate people that actually CAN sing, don't need Auto Tune and actually could probably spit out some classic songs if they got connected with the right songwriters, producers.  But we'll probably never hear about them.

 

You've been to Kanye West concerts and Dr. Dre concerts? You started the libel remarks with me a LONG time ago.  Calling me a racist.  That's COMPLETELY WRONG.  I'm well respected with a LOT of blacks/African Americans or whatever PC term you want to use.  I have personal friends that I speak with all of the time and we talk about this and the people I hang out with that we are friendly enough to have these discussions agree with me and they certainly don't consider me racist in the least.  They are usually shocked that I know more about the African culture than they do.

 

So get off your slanderous remarks.  

post #234 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I never said the word "SHITTY", that you made up, I said to me it's not REAL music and that it's crap.

Seriously?! You say it's crap in the same sentence that you get upset because I used the word shitty. SERIOUSLY?!?! WTF is wrong with you?
Quote:
Calling me a racist. That's COMPLETELY WRONG. I'm well respected with a LOT of blacks/African Americans or whatever PC term you want to use.

I pointed out racist things you've stated which you're still doing with that last sentence! People that aren't racist don't have constantly detail how they're not racist by stating how many of "the blacks" they know, how many agree with you that rap music isn't music, and talk about how you have been around a lot of "the blacks" but didn't feel scared.


Edited by SolipsismX - 5/15/14 at 10:14am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #235 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Something either is or isn't defined as music.
One is concerned with your personal preferences here. You have the right to dislike any music and for any reason, as atrocious as that reason may be.
Thank God music can be recorded so we can playback most music ever made at any time any place.
But still a relationship which we can follow and discern the influences that the new artists pull from.
1) Again, no one is saying your isolated music choices is not music or that you should enjoy other music.

2) You say Pop has run out of ideas which oddly comes after a statement about listening to artists and genres that hasn't had a new idea in a very long time. Today's music has plenty of ideas, it's just ideas you don't like. Nothing wrong with you not liking it but at least accept that change is an act of putting something different into action based on an idea. Not necessarily a good idea but an idea nonetheless.
And the ones in every decade said the same thing and will say the same thing in the future. I'm convinced our brains create some "Golden Years" bubble in our memories that make us forget all the crap that goes along with all the nuggets we find.

Then why you hassling me for disliking rap music?
post #236 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Then why you hassling me for disliking rap music?

I've done no such thing. I've pointed out your force segregation of anything in the rap music genre as being music and your unsettling racial comment that you've used to unreasonable justification. I've always contend you are perfect fine not to like a genre of music, and have even mentioned genres I don't care for yet still consider music.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #237 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I've done no such thing. I've pointed out your force segregation of anything in the rap music genre as being music and your unsettling racial comment that you've used to unreasonable justification. I've always contend you are perfect fine not to like a genre of music, and have even mentioned genres I don't care for yet still consider music.

Whatever.  Don't let your screen name get to your head more than it already has.

post #238 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He has 99 problem so Solange, whom some might consider to be additional problem as the bitch, would be one more thus bringing the total to 100.

Sorry, I've never cared for his music so I claim ignorance.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #239 of 244
APPLE BEATS: Apple should cut all ties and run! Help stop it and sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-apple-beats-acquisition
post #240 of 244
Originally Posted by helen1969 View Post
APPLE BEATS: Apple should cut all ties and run! Help stop it and sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-apple-beats-acquisition

 

I should start an online petition to see how many people are stupid enough to think that online petitions work.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC