or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC - Page 3

post #81 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

There are many great musicians who never had any formal training whatsoever.  Paul McCartney for one (who also never knew how to read music).  Far too many early jazz and blues musicians to list (Muddy Waters, for example).  I really despise the largely white, upper-class, high-brow definition of what music should be and how it has been used throughout time to keep talented musicians from the lower classes in their place.

 

As well, read a bit about the sound engineers who worked with the Beatles (notably George Martin) who helped shape their simple arrangements and sound into something unique and magical.  Sound engineering and arranging are a vital part of shaping raw talent into something great.

 

Look, you're grasping hard to argue that great music comes from a scientific formula: formal training + melody + ... = great music.  And I'm arguing that talking about music that way is like dancing about architecture.

 

EDIT: Just realized you and I both used George Martin as examples in different ways.  Too funny...

{Paul studied music in school as he sang in choir.  He played many musical instruments and listened to classical music.  And who was the 5th Beatle that pretty much took what they did and elevated it to a much higher level.  George Martin.   Go look him up while your at it.  Paul McCartney at least knew how to play and sing.  Some use the ear method.  And?  At least he knew how to play.  But Paul McCartney was never a hired studio musician to my knowledge.  Studio musicians is a whole other ballgame.    they either need to read or pick up on things VERY quickly in order to keep getting called for more work.

 

Again, are you Paul McCartney or have the same level of talent he has?  If not, then don't use him as an excuse to not learn how to read music.  Steve Jobs didn't have a college education, but  I guarantee you that a lot of people he hired DID and DO have a college education.

 

Paul will never get hired to play in a straight ahead or bebop jazz gig, EVER.  He can't play it.  He also can't play a lot of certain types of music, so in a lot of ways, he's kind of limited and I'm sure he'll admit that he wishes he DID know how to read music.  Most of the more famous musicians that didn't know how will say that.   Not knowing how to do something limits you.  But I guarantee you, George Martin knows how to read and write music and that's their big name producer and if it wasn't for George Martin, these Beatle albums wouldn't be as good as they are.  REMEMBER THAT.  That's why they call George Martin SIR in the UK.  He's one of the biggest legendary producers in pop music HISTORY.

post #82 of 244
Breaking News, Samsung buys a shitty perfume for $3.19bn and with it employs Britney Spears as VP of smell to disguise the stench of failure.
post #83 of 244

It's funny to read posts saying that rap isn't music and then referencing The Beatles.  IIRC, there once were people who claimed that they didn't make real music either.

post #84 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

I present to you Richard Cheese.

 

 

 

These statements are 100% false.  Just because you can't detect a melody doesn't mean it's not there.

But they made up their own melody lines that are from jazz, but this isn't anything serious.   The melody lines aren't from the rap songs. it's just the words.  Shows you how much you know.

 

But this isn't anything but to make fun of the rap industry and I'm sure he didn't sell that many recordings.  So, again, you dredge up some BS excuse to prove a feeble attempt to support rap.  

post #85 of 244
I wonder if Dre and Co will curse up a storm like they did in their impromptu YouTube announcement? Classy!
post #86 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Clearly influenced and seduced/fooled by Samsung propaganda, certain people have been claiming that Apple needs to be more cool. As if making the best computers and portable devices in the world isn't good enough. 

In response to this criticism, Apple has decided to embark on a "coolness" mission, in order to raise their profile and gain more street cred.

I have it from good sources that Tim Cook will take the stage at this years WWDC wearing pants where the waistline will be at about knee level. Tim Cook will also be sporting a huge gold chain while smoking a blunt on stage and claiming that the iPhone 6 will be loved by crazy bitches all over the world. 

Apple's corporate culture will also be influenced by this new direction, and Apple will now contract drive by shootings of their competitors, Samsung had better watch out. And since this is all about money, Apple will eventually get into the drug business, and possibly branch out into prostitution also, as that's always a high margin and profitable business venture. Can you get more high margin than prostitution? A ho's margin makes the iPhone's margin seem pathetic.

Apple will also be starting up it's own gangsta rap label called Apple iThug. Much like Apple's appstore approval process, the songs for Apple's label will have to undergo an approval process, and no songs will be accepted unless they are found to contain at least 50%racist,misogynistic, homophobic and otherwise offensive lyrics. The more, the better.

I don't quite follow you. Could you please provide 300 more predictions?
post #87 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post


I can't imagine Dr. Dre being an Apple exec for very long, at least not in a role that requires him to have a regular presence in an Apple office with a mandate to produce something or generate revenue.   He's got all these other projects that he would be working on outside of Apple.  It would be like hiring a famous actor. 

Do you really think Lady Gaga did anything at Polaroid? It's purely a celebrity endorsement. It's like Bill Cosby receiving his PHD. The only question that matters is does Apple believe the hype?
post #88 of 244

Bummer you're getting bored of WWDC... What's happening to this world? Well, people are starving, the value of the dollar is going down, the Pacific garbage patch is growing, more chemicals are being added to our food... just to name a few things.

post #89 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

But they made up their own melody lines that are from jazz, but this isn't anything serious.   The melody lines aren't from the rap songs. it's just the words.  Shows you how much you know.

 

But this isn't anything but to make fun of the rap industry and I'm sure he didn't sell that many recordings.  So, again, you dredge up some BS excuse to prove a feeble attempt to support rap.  

 

I see Richard Cheese's chops aren't up to snuff in meeting the high standards of drblank.

 

So you want a modern jazz musician with rap AND isn't the great Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine?  While I don't think that a jazz band needs to cover your songs in order for it to be considered music, I do know of some ineresting modern jazz and rap combinations.  What about Amy Winehouse with Mos Def?

 

 

or maybe Amy Winehouse and Ghostface Killah?

 


Edited by DroidFTW - 5/12/14 at 4:36pm
post #90 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

It's funny to read posts saying that rap isn't music and then referencing The Beatles.  IIRC, there once were people who claimed that they didn't make real music either.

 

That was another point I was going to bring up: that the electric guitar wasn't considered a real instrument either at one point.  Or the fact that "sampling" has been going on for ages (musicians recreating something they've heard from other musicians in their own work).  D*mn is it ever frustrating trying to point out the shades of grey to those who only think in black and white. :)

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #91 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

It's funny to read posts saying that rap isn't music and then referencing The Beatles.  IIRC, there once were people who claimed that they didn't make real music either.

Well, I take a pragmatic approach to it.  if there aren't musicians playing instruments and they don't have some form of training whether it's self taught or through a formalized method, then its not really music.  There aren't melody lines that these rappers are singing.  Sing the melody line of the vocal portion.


If you look up the definition of the word music, it includes melody, harmony and rhythm.  Obviously, there are percussion ensembles or percussionists that will create music with percussion instruments without the use of a melody instrument per se, but they usually performing a composition that is specifically for percussion instruments, but many times they might use some form of melodic instrument in the process.  Song writing is a form of music which adds vocals and simple structure vs a composition which may or may not have words being sung.


Either way, I don't really consider rap music a REAL form of music, it's more of a commercially sold form of music for musically ignorant people that is created by musically ignorant people. PERIOD.  You may think differently on that, but at least I have studied and learned how to play music in different settings on a professional level.  Have you?  One of my first instructors was a PhD from Julliard whom also had a Masters Degree from Stanford in music.  Unfortunatley he passed away a few years ago, but to those types of people, rap music is a VERY primitive level of music art form and i use that term lightly.    That's why you don't see these rappers playing a musical instrument while they are rapping, but you see song writers play guitar,  piano or a musical instrument while singing their song.  Hmmmmm....

 

Making excuses for the rap community is what slackers would do.  Don't go down to THEIR level, just because they are too lazy to learn how to play a musical instrument and make something positive for society.  Do you wear your pants so your underwear is showing too?   Does that mean that is a fashion style of a lack of fashion sense?  Seems like the later to me.

post #92 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

I see Richard Cheese's chops aren't up to snuff in meeting the high standards of drblank.

 

So you want a modern jazz musician with rap AND isn't the great Richard Cheese?  While I don't think that a jazz band needs to cover your songs in order for it to be considered music, I do know of some ineresting modern jazz and rap combinations.  What about Amy Winehouse with Mos Def?

 

 

or maybe Amy Winehouse and Ghostface Killah?

 

 

No, Richard Cheese is like a Al Yankovic.  I'm talking about a more serious minded interpretation of a pop song where they take the same melody line and do an interpretation of the chosen song's MELODY line and do it with a instrument like a sax, trumpet, piano, guitar, or whatever melodic industrument, but it's done typically as an instrumental with jazz musicians that will also improvise and add a different feel and sensibility to it.  Miles Davis and other reputable jazz artists would do this with Beatles songs, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, etc. But they used the original song's MELODY line that was used by the vocal part.

Again, your ignorance about music seems to shine right on through.  Go ahead and listen to the rap music, it certainly won't give you much credibility to hang out with real musicians because most of them can't stand rap music.  Originally there were the classical indian musicians singing the notes on a percussion instrument and then there was scatting, but scatting and singing the Bol for a classical indian musician usually includes singing a melody since Classical Indian drums like the Tabla can actually change pitch to create melody lines.  But rap is more two note melody lines, which is about as basic as you can get. More like Nursery rhymes with vulgarity is about what these rappers are doing.  You know, like Hickory Dickory Dock, etc. etc. etc.  You get the picture?  If you don't, then I can't help your ignorance, maybe some day you'll fall, hit your head and your brain might actually start to work.

post #93 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Sing the melody line of the vocal portion.

 

Like this?

 

 

or

 

 

They're even playing instruments!

post #94 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

No, Richard Cheese is like a Al Yankovic.

 

There's an unofficial rule that you haven't truly made it in the music industry until Weird Al covers one of your songs and wouldn't you know it that Weird Al raps too!

 

 

post #95 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This is all a smoke screen to cover for no new hardware product announcements. Introduce OS X 10.10, iOS 8, then the Dr. Dre dog and pony show. The end.

I would take that bet.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #96 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Again, your ignorance about music seems to shine right on through.

Seriously?! Aren't you one of the people saying that rap isn't music? 1confused.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #97 of 244
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post


You are waaaaay more fired up than anyone else here. Dr. Dre has a producer of the year Grammy. He has been involved in the music industry as a producer for a long time.
Others answered the question. Hip Hop is not all about money and hoes just like Rock is not all about drugs and Country is not all about Tractors. Yes rappers have songs about money and hoes because sadly that's the culture they came from or are accustomed to but not all hip hop artists are like that.

Yeah, so what, for every rapper that doesn't have vulgarity in their lyrics there's THOUSANDS of them that do.  You are trying to validate your BS by using the exception rather than the norm.  The norm is what I look at.  For every rich person that doesn't have a college education, there are tens of thousands that do.  Use the norm to validate your argument rather than the exception.

 

Grammy became meaningless a LONG time ago.  Who votes for people to get a grammy?  Anyone that's in the industry. so all of their stupid friends vote for them.  And the idiot that came up with giving rap artists a category did it because that category makes enough money for them make it relevant, but that's all the Grammy's really are.  So, if I paid to be part of the industry, I could add my vote to. But there are a LOT of people that belong that can vote that don't even bother to vote because they don't even give it any thought. It's just an industry award voted by people in the industry and unfortunately there are a lot of rap artists in the industry because it's easy for them to become part of it.  That happened when the internet came around with digital downloads because it makes it a lot easier for independent record labels to start out of the trunk of their car.

 

Some of the earlier rap music actually did incorporate musicians, like bass players and drummers and sometimes other musicians, but I guess they lost the ability to get them because the musicians were probably bored to tears playing loop playing and the direction took on some gangster vulgarities and it just went downhill from there.  To me, it's not worth listening to. I'm just trying to educate those that know less than I about music.

 

So, use all of the excuses you want, you still won't change my mind or that of a whole bunch of other musicians that have spent years playing, practicing that can't seem to get gigs because the kids today don't want REAL music. they want phony BS.  So, congratulate yourself on helping the dumbing down of society.

post #98 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Seriously?! Aren't you one of the people saying that rap isn't music? 1confused.gif

Are you a musician?  I am, and in book, I don't consider rap to be music.  It's talking or yelling or whatever they are doing.  But it isn't music.  It certainly anything enjoyable to listen to unless you are some kid that's pissed off at the world and this your way of showing it by listening to it or creating it.  That's all it is.  Immature form of expression being marketed as music.


God, the music industry has done a number on society.

 

 

Would you want your computer to start up with a musical passage or chime or some as swipe saying "You whore nigga bitch" instead. don't tell me, let me guess.


Edited by drblank - 5/12/14 at 5:10pm
post #99 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, so what, for every rapper that doesn't have vulgarity in their lyrics there's THOUSANDS of them that do.

So this song — which I dedicate to you — isn't music because there is vulgarity?


Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Are you a musician?

Lots of musicians didn't think the electric guitar should be considered a real instrument but I hard time you believing that simply because you're too young to have grabbed hold of that bigoted stake in the ground.


Quote:
I am, and in book, I don't consider rap to be music.  It's talking or yelling or whatever they are doing.

Your book is shit!
Quote:
But it isn't music.

If this isn't music then what is it? Can you harmonize as well as them?


Quote:
 It certainly anything enjoyable to listen to unless you are some kid that's pissed off at the world and this your way of showing it by listening to it or creating it.  That's all it is.  Immature form of expression being marketed as music.

Not a kid but I guess I am pissed off at your ignorance through elitism (or is that the other way around, or a perpetual notion machine). You can't do what they do. That's fine, neither can I, and it's fine that you don't like it but that doesn't means it's not real music. You're comments are like a child who sticks his fingers in his ears and claims "I can't hear you" despite hearing everything. I think it's pathetic.
Quote:
God, the music industry has done a number on society.

No, but society has failed you if you you're too insecure to even acknowledge another genre as music.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #100 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, so what, for every rapper that doesn't have vulgarity in their lyrics there's THOUSANDS of them that do.  You are trying to validate your BS by using the exception rather than the norm.  The norm is what I look at.  For every rich person that doesn't have a college education, there are tens of thousands that do.  Use the norm to validate your argument rather than the exception.

Grammy became meaningless a LONG time ago.  Who votes for people to get a grammy?  Anyone that's in the industry. so all of their stupid friends vote for them.  And the idiot that came up with giving rap artists a category did it because that category makes enough money for them make it relevant, but that's all the Grammy's really are.  So, if I paid to be part of the industry, I could add my vote to. But there are a LOT of people that belong that can vote that don't even bother to vote because they don't even give it any thought. It's just an industry award voted by people in the industry and unfortunately there are a lot of rap artists in the industry because it's easy for them to become part of it.  That happened when the internet came around with digital downloads because it makes it a lot easier for independent record labels to start out of the trunk of their car.

Some of the earlier rap music actually did incorporate musicians, like bass players and drummers and sometimes other musicians, but I guess they lost the ability to get them because the musicians were probably bored to tears playing loop playing and the direction took on some gangster vulgarities and it just went downhill from there.  To me, it's not worth listening to. I'm just trying to educate those that know less than I about music.

So, use all of the excuses you want, you still won't change my mind or that of a whole bunch of other musicians that have spent years playing, practicing that can't seem to get gigs because the kids today don't want REAL music. they want phony BS.  So, congratulate yourself on helping the dumbing down of society.
Validate what BS? I helped dumb down society? Grammy awards don't matter? I guess you were one of the ones to send Steve Jobs an angry email for adding the hip hop category to iTunes haha

You need to calm down a little bit man. I don't really care if you don't think rap is real music. I didn't list any exceptions. I simply stated that all hip hop is not the same. Just because all you "know" is gangsta rap doesn't mean that's what all hip hop is. Your constant diatribes against everyone really has nothing to do with this topic. You can write up another DED-like topic in the Off Topic thread about why rap isn't real music for all anyone cares. A discussion of whether Dr. Dre is a big component in the music industry is a valid discussion and he is whether you like it or not. You have an issue with the music industry. Oh well. It's about time you got over it.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #101 of 244
Here's Steve Jobs swearing. I guess that means he's not a real CEO since anything that contains vulgarity can't be counted as real¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #102 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Are you a musician?  I am, and in book, I don't consider rap to be music.  It's talking or yelling or whatever they are doing.  But it isn't music.  It certainly anything enjoyable to listen to unless you are some kid that's pissed off at the world and this your way of showing it by listening to it or creating it.  That's all it is.  Immature form of expression being marketed as music.


God, the music industry has done a number on society.

 

 

Would you want your computer to start up with a musical passage or chime or some as swipe saying "You whore nigga bitch" instead. don't tell me, let me guess.

 

 

Dr. Blank, Benjamin Frost, others...

 

The only"Immature form of expression" here are your rants about an art form you know nothing about.

 

Let me start out to say that I am a performer and a composer with over 20 years of experience. I studied piano and composition with some of the top composers and performers of our day. When I was younger I competed in international piano competitions, playing Bach, Mozart, Bethoven Chopin, Scarlatti, Rachmaninoff,  Liszt and others. I made my early living performing chamber music in Duets, Quintets etc. whenever and wherever I could. I made the most of my opportunities. 

 

I have been composing for nearly as long, and am lucky enough now, to be in a position to lead my own groups who perform music that I have composed. Some of the that have performed my music are contemporary classical music. Other are more alt/rock/pop/electronic based. It is possible that you may have heard some of the music that I have composed, or not, as I protect my identity under several pseudonyms. 

 

Either way, if any musician that I work with ever expressed to me the closed mindedness attitudes that you have displayed, I would kick them out of my group so quickly they wouldn't have time to react.

 

"Real" musicians simply do no carry those sort of attitude. Jazz music, for example, was considered to be 'degenerate' music of whorehouses and dance halls. Now it is taught in Universities. Rock music such as the Rolling Stones or Velvet Underground were associated with the drug counterculture. Perhaps they all were. So what? Its all part of the human experience and has some value either way. 

 

The reason that Hip-Hop has become so dominant in our culture is because it is so open. There is not one genre of music that Hip-Hop does not borrow from or gain influence; whether its jazz, classical rock, country, anything... It's all there.. Because it is so transmutable and universal in it's appeal, there is not one country in the world that doesn't have it's own brand of hip-hop. It embraces modern technology.  It is a truly global phenomenon.

 

I can see why you don't like it, because it's values of openness and technological progress are diametrically opposed to everything that that you have said you stand for.

post #103 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You say, "It's not a huge factor, but it is."

Which is it? Is it a huge factor or not a huge factor? Or did you just change your mind very quickly, so your opinion is that it is indeed now a huge factor, although previously you thought that it wasn't a huge factor?

I actually understand exactly what he's saying. And it isn't any of what you supposed he might mean. The point is, it's both. It SHOUDN'T be a huge factor, it might not seem to some as a huge factor, I mean, they've still got great products and people love them. But at the same time, it really is a huge factor, because Steve's role in selling the company and its products cannot be underestimated.

Personally, while I think it is obvious that Cook isn't a natural like Steve was, he is very competent (which Balmer wasn't) and he relies on others to capture the cool that Steve had himself. Craig Federigi (sp?) is loaded with personality. So is eddy cue. Schiller is a loveable teddy bear. Ive is pure cool, but sits behind the camera only. Which is too bad.

Greg.
post #104 of 244

It's a risk.  I am glad to see Tim & Co. taking risks.  I'm not sure this is the one I would pick, but Apple has to take risks if they want to continue to grow and continue to be on top.  The silver lining of making this bet may be that in the event it fails the financial hit will likely be minimal.

 

$1.4 billion and growing in annual revenue (if accurate) is impressive and their margins are likely off the chart so Apple can likely recoup their investment in roughly 3 years.  By comparison Nest is reported to generate about $300 million in annual revenue.  That said, I would personally prefer to see Apple entering the home automation field rather than the (over-hyped) headphone/(another) streaming music service business.  

post #105 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Uvan View Post


I actually understand exactly what he's saying. And it isn't any of what you supposed he might mean. The point is, it's both. It SHOUDN'T be a huge factor, it might not seem to some as a huge factor, I mean, they've still got great products and people love them. But at the same time, it really is a huge factor, because Steve's role in selling the company and its products cannot be underestimated ... Ive is pure cool, but sits behind the camera only. Which is too bad.

Exactly x 2!

post #106 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

It's a risk.  I am glad to see Tim & Co. taking risks.  I'm not sure this is the one I would pick, but Apple has to take risks if they want to continue to grow and continue to be on top.  The silver lining of making this bet may be that in the event it fails the financial hit will likely be minimal.

$1.4 billion and growing in annual revenue (if accurate) is impressive and their margins are likely off the chart so Apple can likely recoup their investment in roughly 3 years.  By comparison Nest is reported to generate about $300 million in annual revenue.  That said, I would personally prefer to see Apple entering the home automation field rather than the (over-hyped) headphone/(another) streaming music service business.  

I agree with everything you've stated. I'd also like to see Apple tackle home automation but at $3.2 billion and those revenues it doesn't seem like as good a deal as Beats (providing their revenue and profits data are even close to accurate). Plus, there is information that does show that Apple would be buying things it can't reasonably create on its own in a short timeframe, but with home automation I would think they could pop that iPod OS or iOS into all sorts of things with their HW expertise in no time.


PS: When are we going to get iTunes separated from the Mac in a Home Server so that I can play my library from my home via my iOS-based iDevice. That's the first home automation device they need to tackle. Right now you can only do that from a Mac, PC or Apple TV, and the other device has to be a PC or Mac with iTunes running on it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #107 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post
 

WWDC is a developer conference - I don't see what having them onstage, even at the consumer facing keynote,  would accomplish.

 

Wouldn't they appear at the Music/iPad event in September.

post #108 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


If all they announce is a Mac OS overhaul all people will be talking about is that all they announced was a Mac OS overhaul.

For most devs there that would be an irrelevance.

 

No, I'm pretty sure all the devs there are Mac users.

post #109 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

Like this?

 

 

or

 

 

They're even playing instruments!

You missed the point, these are people spoofing others through music so they are more comedic performers.  Obviously, you like to take an extreme and make it the norm.  You know the saying Ignorance is Bliss?  Well, you must be completely blissful.

post #110 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Like this?




or




They're even playing instruments!

That 2nd video is hilarious. Although it does prove the lunacy of most rap lyrics. Glad I saw that though

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #111 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

It's a risk.  I am glad to see Tim & Co. taking risks.  I'm not sure this is the one I would pick, but Apple has to take risks if they want to continue to grow and continue to be on top.  The silver lining of making this bet may be that in the event it fails the financial hit will likely be minimal.

$1.4 billion and growing in annual revenue (if accurate) is impressive and their margins are likely off the chart so Apple can likely recoup their investment in roughly 3 years.  By comparison Nest is reported to generate about $300 million in annual revenue.  That said, I would personally prefer to see Apple entering the home automation field rather than the (over-hyped) headphone/(another) streaming music service business.  

I had to address this on the other thread. It is not a hardware purchase. Their estimated profit is 200-300 million off their estimated 1.4mil in revenue. Those are great margins. But 3.2 BILLION to capture 300 million (on the high end) is terrible. In fact, when you include interest- they will literally never recoup their investment. Even if they double revenues and profits- it will take 55 years to recoup their investment when you consider a modest interest rate. $3.2 billion is so ridiculously overpriced if it is soley a hardware purchase. Also- please tell me- outside of beats radio- where is the synergy with apple? Headphones and iPhones/iPods? Beats would (and should) work independently. Beats by Apple was a great name I heard. Not nearly enough synergy to warrant that purchase price.

Again- I'm not opposed to this purchase because we don't know the details. But to say it is simply hardware is mathematically the dumbest purchase apple could possibly make. And a small 30 mil profit music streamer added to the pile isn't enough incentive either.

2 things will likely come out. 1- the 3.2billion price is inflated- and it's really 2 bil or less, which would be much better. Or 2- there is something we aren't aware of.

The rumored purchase doesn't bug me- just the rumored price. And dre being a senior exec but that's for another discussion.

That 3.2 isn't sitting under a mattress making no money.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #112 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You missed the point, these are people spoofing others through music so they are more comedic performers.  Obviously, you like to take an extreme and make it the norm.  You know the saying Ignorance is Bliss?  Well, you must be completely blissful.

I think you miss the point. Being comedic, a spoof, or paying homage doesn't mean it's not still music. You might as well say that comedies aren't real films because they aren't serious dramas. 1rolleyes.gif
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/12/14 at 7:18pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #113 of 244
http://macdailynews.com/2014/05/12/analyst-sacconaghi-on-apple-buying-beats-we-struggle-with-the-rationale-for-this-deal/#comments
Quote:
MacDailyNews Take: It’s very likely that this Beats deal is simply that Jimmy Iovine is like Steve Jobs in one way, at least, in that he has the ability to sell ice to Eskimos, and Cook realizes that Eddy Cue without Steve Jobs is failing to seal the types of deals that Apple needs sealed.

iTunes Radio isn’t as good as it should be (plus it’s unnecessarily hidden within iTunes on the desktop, especially), a subscription option would certainly be welcome, and the work for Apple’s next-gen TV product is pretty much done, according to our sources, but lacks the necessary content deals for launch. As senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, Cue is responsible for these things. Perhaps Cook’s intention is that those types of initiatives will now fall to Iovine to make happen correctly and promptly.

We’re not going to say that we expect Cue to retire sooner than later, but we wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he did, especially if this Beats deal gets consummated.
post #114 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here's Steve Jobs swearing. I guess that means he's not a real CEO since anything that contains vulgarity can't be counted as real¡

He doesn't swear publicly on a normal basis.  Yeah, but is he putting out computers that have swear words and vulgarity in the manuals of their products or laced within the OS warning messages?  Seriously, putting in words as a form of entertainment and selling it for a profit and marketing it and glamorizing it is what is disgusting.  yeah, most of have sworn, that's different.  But to something you call music?  NO.   Did Jobs go around calling each other "My nigga" and calling his wife a HO?  Or his children some derogatory word?  I don't think so.  Again, using some flawed example to try to prove your weak argument.  Sorry, you can't tell me that Jobs called his wife a ho. or anyone at Apple his nigga.  Do you have proof of that?  NO. You don't.


Please, give it a rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post


Validate what BS? I helped dumb down society? Grammy awards don't matter? I guess you were one of the ones to send Steve Jobs an angry email for adding the hip hop category to iTunes haha

You need to calm down a little bit man. I don't really care if you don't think rap is real music. I didn't list any exceptions. I simply stated that all hip hop is not the same. Just because all you "know" is gangsta rap doesn't mean that's what all hip hop is. Your constant diatribes against everyone really has nothing to do with this topic. You can write up another DED-like topic in the Off Topic thread about why rap isn't real music for all anyone cares. A discussion of whether Dr. Dre is a big component in the music industry is a valid discussion and he is whether you like it or not. You have an issue with the music industry. Oh well. It's about time you got over it.

hip hop is a type of rhythm. I've played hip hop rhythms with jazz players for some instrumental music, but it was just the rhythm that was being played, but there was no rapping involved.  So, hip hop can be used in something that's a little more closer to music.   But, I didn't always like playing it unless someone had a good melody line to come up, but a lot of times it became boring and I got sick of it and to me it's more of a fad.  It's difficult to create a decent song around a hip hop groove.  I don't hear too many that I can honestly say I like over the years.  I may like it for a short period of time and then it wears on me and it becomes boring. I see it being used to try to sell something as jazz and that's kind of silly to me.  So, Hip Hop is more of the rhythm being played than rapping.  Rapping is done to a hip hop groove, but if the groove isn't using musicians, then it becomes less important.

 

Dr. Dre is a big component in a PORTION of the music industry.  For the record, there is not one single piece of music in my entire collection that I can honestly say that Dr. Dre AND Iovine had much involvement.  I still have yet to have anything in my record collection that has either one of them involved and I have a pretty big catalog of music that's growing and I wasn't even TRYING to avoid music with their involvement. If I have ANYTHING, it might be one or two songs that Ivonine might have produced, but again, I have to go back and check and it's probably something I rarely listen to.   Dr. Dre is important to a small portion of the music industry.  There are lots and lots of people in the music industry that have never met him, won't ever meet him and will never work with either of them.  EVER.  You know, like WORLD CLASS MUSICIANS.   They won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.  He only goes after rappers.  World Class Musicians is whom I look up to for guidance.  A lot of them moved away out cut out much of their involvement with some of these record labels and they either have their own or work with another record label that's got NOTHING to do with these guys.  So, again, just because they marketed these headphones successfully and sold the company to Apple means that they are big movers and shakers.   Iovnine was never a major label executive, he was with smaller labels that got bought out.  Dr. Dre only focuses on a small portion of the music industry so that's the only section he can have any muscle in.  Until Dr. Dre or Iovine becomes the CEO of Sony Records or the CEO of BMG, they are kind of small time operators.  Just to give you a hint of reality.  Do you know the show American Idol?  The only celebrities they have on the show are those that WERE famous and they are on the end of their career and they are trying to market themselves to the younger generation and many times, they fail.  Iovine was part of American Idol, but they have only a couple of winners that actually do anything of great significance in the pop world, but it's mostly because they market the crap out of them.  If they didn't, they wouldn't sell as many albums.  But everyone on the roster of American Idol that's famous isn't at their peak anymore they are on the down hill spiral and they are just trying to still be relevant to the younger generation. It's the truth.  The REAL people in the music industry see American Idol as kind of a joke. It's a marketing job and a cheesy way to use people to make money.

 

Sounds like you guys bought up the hype.  Good luck with all of that.

post #115 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

You missed the point, these are people spoofing others through music so they are more comedic performers.  Obviously, you like to take an extreme and make it the norm.  You know the saying Ignorance is Bliss?  Well, you must be completely blissful.

 

So now you want rapping with a serious message and has members playing traditional instruments?  Here ya go.

 

 


Edited by DroidFTW - 5/12/14 at 7:25pm
post #116 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So now you want rapping with a serious message and has members playing traditional instruments?  Here ya go.

[music video]

If he want's a serious message I have a shitload of Tupac videos to post, but he's now been given rap with a serious message, rap with no swearing, and rap with amazing harmonies but it's still not music to him. It's clear he's a rappist.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #117 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


That would also be a dumb move. Whatever they are doing for iOS 8 should be the main event.

 

IOS 8.0 = IOS 7.0 part 2.

 

I expect improvements in many little things like SIRI and MAPS, maybe opening up TouchID validation to Third Party apps, 

but if Apple has been developing a 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch model they will also have had to work on either own apps to take advantage of the additional screen space.    And they know that Developers will need to modify their apps too to take advantage of the new screen space.    Also if Apple has been working on an iWatch for later release we may not see at WWDC all the work they have done.

post #118 of 244

If you think that's some form of music to be taken seriously on any level, then you must have a catalog of nothing but crap in your music collection.   I didn't even bother watching the video because like most of your other postings, it's kind of a waste of my time. 


Give it rest. you are just proving my point over and over again with feeble attempts to prove your point.  Good day.

post #119 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Good day.

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #120 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

 

If you think that's some form of music to be taken seriously on any level, then you must have a catalog of nothing but crap in your music collection.   I didn't even bother watching the video because like most of your other postings, it's kind of a waste of my time. 


Give it rest. you are just proving my point over and over again with feeble attempts to prove your point.  Good day.

 

Then I must have nothing but crap in my music collection because I absolutely, unequivocally feel that each and every member of Rage Against the Machine should be taken seriously as musicians.  They are amazingly talented musicians and made amazing music together.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC