or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats Music had 110K subscribers in March with impressive free-to-paid conversion

Beats Music had 110K subscribers in March with impressive free-to-paid conversion

post #1 of 141
Just 0.17 percent of the 183 million tracks spun on Beats Music in March were attributed to non-paying customers, purportedly leaked data indicates, suggesting that the service is converting trial users to paid subscribers at an impressive clip.

The figures were revealed in a March 2014 royalty calculation document discovered by music industry website The Trichordist and first noticed by Business Insider. According to the document, "Nonsubscription/ad-supported" plays totaled 312,139 in the period compared to 182,366,328 for the "Standalone Portable Subscription Service."

The seemingly high ratio matches up with a report from earlier this week in which it was said that Apple's eye was drawn to the headphone maker in large part due to the rate at which Beats Music was converting trial users. New users are given a seven-day free trial of the service, after which a $9.99-per-month subscription is required.

The document also gave a glimpse into Beats Music's overall subscriber numbers, showing that 56 percent -- or 61,521 of the 110,992 paying customers -- were on the family plan offered in partnership with wireless carrier AT&T. Because each family plan can support up to five individual listeners, that could represent as many as 308,105 people.

Additionally, despite representing a smaller share of accounts, individual subscribers played nearly twice as many songs as their counterparts. The Trichordist also noted that Beats Music appears to have negotiated a low royalty rate for songwriters, but those rights are not generally transferable in the event of an acquisition and will likely need to be renegotiated.

Overall, the numbers paint a somewhat rosy picture for the future of the fledgling service, which many believe is the catalyst behind Apple's alleged $3.2 billion bid for Beats Electronics. Beats Music's design and functionality -- including the "sentence" recommendation algorithm and curated playlists -- have won rave reviews from customers and could themselves form the basis of a similar Apple-branded service.
post #2 of 141
This rumour is looking better and better everyday.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have to admit this as well. I was not happy at first after seeing Dr. Dre's profanity and n-word laced youtube video.  I do not want Apple associating with that type of culture. I feel the same way if it was Eminem so it isn't a Black/White thing. I am getting more intrigued as I read about this acquisition and the reasons for it.

post #4 of 141
Without knowing the details, which are now coming to light, no one could say if this was a good deal or not.
Cook and company aren't stupid or frivolous, so I'm sure they have made an informed decision before spending this kind of dough.
post #5 of 141
Quote:

You mean it's being spun by certain Apple sites to look better and better every day. 1wink.gif
post #6 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannoc View Post

Without knowing the details, which are now coming to light, no one could say if this was a good deal or not.
Cook and company aren't stupid or frivolous, so I'm sure they have made an informed decision before spending this kind of dough.
There are no details coming to light. All of it is rumors at this point.
post #7 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

I have to admit this as well. I was not happy at first after seeing Dr. Dre's profanity and n-word laced youtube video.  I do not want Apple associating with that type of culture. I feel the same way if it was Eminem so it isn't a Black/White thing. I am getting more intrigued as I read about this acquisition and the reasons for it.

I'd say there is a difference between being at your house and being in an interview with 60 Minutes yet here is Steve Jobs dropping "F-Bombs."

post #8 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You mean it's being spun by certain Apple sites to look better and better every day. 1wink.gif

Sure, but it's still looking better. However, I'm not sure how this article is the result of AI spinning a positive from a negative or that their sourcing of the 110k subscribers in March is unsubstantiated.

post #9 of 141

Leaked data?

And how exactly did that get leaked and who leaked it?

If there's one thing that Apple already has enough of, it's security leaks. They can do without any more leaks and people who have big mouths.

I also don't find 110,000 to be an impressive number. 

post #10 of 141
Articles after articles ask why Apple didn't go after other services like Spotify. I think Apple picked the right service to buy with Beats. They are looking for the service that will help them corner the market in the future not buying the current market leader. Spotify doesn't have anything innovative to offer except its user base. If Apple can convert even 10% of the itunes account into subscribers, it would dwarf Spotify. And Beats have the tools to make that happen. I think the Beats branding will remains and will be the apple brand for all things music - Apple Beats. The 1 billion dollar in sales headphone hardware is just cherry on top. It is almost a risk free venture because they will make back the purchase price in a few year.

And the argument on why they didnt buy a better headphone company... There are many that make higher quality headphones but how come they can't monetize it for sh*t? They have no idea about fashion and culture that's why. Like Apple, Beats showed they the way and now they start paying more attention to the hardware design. Apple can easily improve the audio but it is harder to improve the branding.
post #11 of 141
Quote:

I'd say there is a difference between being at your house and being in an interview with 60 Minutes yet here is Steve Jobs dropping "F-Bombs."

Exactly.. What's good for the gander is good for the goose. 

post #12 of 141
Quote:

Sure, but it's still looking better. However, I'm not sure how this article is the result of AI spinning a positive from a negative or that their sourcing of the 110k subscribers in March is unsubstantiated.
what I mean by spinning is only putting up articles that put this in a positive light. And since Beats is not a public company how can we know if any of these figures/claims are accurate?
post #13 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Leaked data?

And how exactly did that get leaked and who leaked it?

If there's one thing that Apple already has enough of, it's security leaks. They can do without any more leaks and people who have big mouths.

I also don't find 110,000 to be an impressive number. 
somebody wants us to think it is, hence the leaks.
post #14 of 141
Quote:

$12 million a year. Wow- earth shattering numbers.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #15 of 141
Quote:

somebody wants us to think it is, hence the leaks.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of spin for an idea that nobody had even mentioned before.

I do have my doubts of course, but I won't pass any final judgement until we hear all of the facts, and as of now, there aren't any at all, because Apple hasn't said anything at all.

Until Apple opens its mouth and we hear the details, I will remain doubtful about this deal.

post #16 of 141
Soli, thanks for that video link especially since it led to this one. All I can say is you gotta see these guys "back in the day".
Yeah I know it's totally off-topic but shouldn't be missed.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 141
Not impressive, most are there because of an AT&T pre-install, probably on Android only.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #18 of 141
Quote:

what I mean by spinning is only putting up articles that put this in a positive light. And since Beats is not a public company how can we know if any of these figures/claims are accurate?

I don't think anyone reasonable is not taking these with a grain of salt until there is definitive proof but they are still looking better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

$12 million a year. Wow- earth shattering numbers.

Considering the last number was 300k subscribers in total adding 110k (over 35%) in a single month is an impressive stat. It seems unlikely, assuming the number are true, that the addition for this one month is an isolated anomaly without any growth.

post #19 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Not impressive, most are there because of an AT&T pre-install, probably on Android only.

Yeah, if you go to AT&T's site, you can see that they advertise the Beats service with some kind of LG Android phone.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/beats-music.html

post #20 of 141
Quote:

I don't think anyone reasonable is not taking these with a grain of salt until there is definitive proof but they are still looking better.
Considering the last number was 300k subscribers in total adding 110k (over 35%) in a single month is an impressive stat. It seems unlikely, assuming the number are true, that the addition for this one month is an isolated anomaly without any growth.

... but $3.2 billion?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Exactly.. What's good for the gander is good for the goose. 
Yea really. There is that double standard again. White people can drop F bombs with no problem but if it is a black man then he is a thug and etc. If I just became a billionaire, I would drop a couple of F bombs myself.
post #22 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... but $3.2 billion?

And how much money did Nest make before it got bought out? 1 billion in sales for 3.2 billion is not expensive. Why are people so stuck on the price. And btw Beats sale is still growing. They have not lost their allure at all.
post #23 of 141
Quote:

... but $3.2 billion?

I don't understand the question. It sounds like you're assuming that because there is an article on Beats Music's paid subscribers growing that it means the rumoured deal must only be about their rental music service. Clearly the bulk of their rumoured revenues and profits are from their HW sales, but Beats Music growing quickly could mean that their service is truly better because of their algorithm which I would like to be brought into iTunes Genius for the music I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanster View Post

And how much money did Nest make before it got bought out? 1 billion in sales for 3.2 billion is not expensive. Why are people so stuck on the price. And btw Beats sale is still growing. They have not lost their allure at all.

That's an excellent point. If you look at the revenue and profits and then compare that to how much the purchase price is Beats Music is a steal compared to Nest, Motorola, Occulus, Instagram and many others we've seen. Was Siri or Lala making any profit when Apple bought them? Comparatively Beats looks like the only sane purchase in the bunch.

post #24 of 141
But but but what is Dr. Dre's real name? Without it, I have no context to this story! /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 141
Quote:

Yea really. There is that double standard again. White people can drop F bombs with no problem but if it is a black man then he is a thug and etc. If I just became a billionaire, I would drop a couple of F bombs myself.

I don't care about any F bombs.

I'm not black, but I don't like people who use the N word in every sentence. It doesn't matter to me if it was a KKK member using that word or if it's a rapper, I don't think highly of either.

And people do use that word in public, I hear it all of the time. I find it to be rude and I find the people who use it to be trashy.

post #26 of 141
Quote:

Well, I can't see Apple being interested in the headphones at all. I would imagine that division will be spun off as its own company at some point or sold to someone else.

... and, please, for your sake, don't bring up Nest. If you do that then you'll have to bring up Motorola as well.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #27 of 141
Quote:

I don't understand the question. It sounds like you're assuming that because there is an article on Beats Music's paid subscribers growing that it means the rumoured deal must only be about their rental music service. Clearly the bulk of their rumoured revenues and profits are from their HW sales, but Beats Music growing quickly could mean that their service is truly better because of their algorithm which I would like to be brought into iTunes Genius for the music I own.
That's an excellent point. If you look at the revenue and profits and then compare that to how much the purchase price is Beats Music is a steal compared to Nest, Motorola, Occulus, Instagram and many others we've seen. Was Siri or Lala making any profit when Apple bought them? Comparatively Beats looks like the only sane purchase in the bunch.

Apple isn't interested in the hardware sales. Maybe as a spin off, a flip, but that's about it.

I suppose if Apple was able to get $1 billion or more from the hardware side it would make the streaming business seem a bit more attractive.

By the way, do you think that any Beats contracts will be transferred in the deal? I, for one, don't.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #28 of 141
Quote:

I don't care about any F bombs.

I'm not black, but I don't like people who use the N word in every sentence. It doesn't matter to me if it was a KKK member using that word or if it's a rapper, I don't think highly of either.

And people do use that word in public, I hear it all of the time. I find it to be rude and I find the people who use it to be trashy.

1) I don't think KKK members and musicians that perform a certain of genre of music shouldn't be at opposing ends of a scale.

2) What about the words nincompoop and scallywag? These used to be highly offensive, as were pretty much anything that blasphemous but if someone says "Oh God!" in public it doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow in most circles.

3) The fact that we have a series of phonemes that considered offensive regardless of its usage, meaning or intent is ridiculous to me. How is we can be so irrational as to be filled with negative emotion from having a momentary utterance of a sound resonate off our auditory system, but if someone uses a more subtle term with the now common subtle racism and bigotry (except on the internet of course) we don't bat and eye. Are we really that superficial and ignorant to think the letters that form the word or the sound it makes are the problem as if words can truly be cursed. I didn't think we were living in the dark age.

post #29 of 141
Quote:

Apple isn't interested in the hardware sales. Maybe as a spin off, a flip, but that's about it.

I suppose if Apple was able to get $1 billion or more from the hardware side it would make the streaming business seem a bit more attractive.

By the way, do you think that any Beats contracts will be transferred in the deal? I, for one, don't.

1) How do you know what Apple is interested in?

2) So what if they are not buying them for their HW and they spin that off, the point still remains that the HW side is rumoured to making a lot of money and growing. In no way does it mean that the HW side nullifies itself and the rumoured $3.2 billion cost means they have make it all up with Beats Music subscriptions.

3) Based on the information we've received selling the HW side for $1 billion would make this a bad deal.

4) Usually music contracts aren't transferable. However, as a new startup with Dre and Iovine at the helm I think if anyone could have pulled off a deal with the labels to allow the contracts to be transferable it's them.

post #30 of 141
Quote:

I didn't think we were living in the dark age.

If you think that it's just a word, then walk up to a bunch of black kids standing around and say that word, and then see what happens. Are you attempting to argue that N..... is no longer offensive?

And I do believe that some people are living in the dark ages.

post #31 of 141
Quote:

1) How do you know what Apple is interested in?

2) So what if they are not buying them for their HW and they spin that off, the point still remains that the HW side is rumoured to making a lot of money and growing. In no way does it mean that the HW side nullifies itself and the rumoured $3.2 billion cost means they have make it all up with Beats Music subscriptions.

3) Based on the information we've received selling the HW side for $1 billion would make this a bad deal.

4) Usually music contracts aren't transferable. However, as a new startup with Dre and Iovine at the helm I think if anyone could have pulled off a deal with the labels to allow the contracts to be transferable it's them.

1. How do you know what Apple isn't interested in?

2. I covered that.

3. Exactly.

4. Then the contracts will most likely be re-written. Dealing with Dre and Iovine's money is different than dealing with Apple's money. Anyone in business would be a fool not to want more.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #32 of 141
Quote:

If you think that it's just a word, then walk up to a bunch of black kids standing around and say that word, and then see what happens. Are you attempting to argue that N..... is no longer offensive?

It is just a word. We give the word meaning. We give a word power. There is nothing innate about six specific letters or phonemes in a row. It's a learn reaction. As previously mentioned the examples I gave now range from mundane to comical but at one time society considered them offensive. All words are invented, despite what @drblank wants to believe. Language (like music) is neither static nor contained.

post #33 of 141
Quote:

Hell, I told someone in their 30s the other day that, "I don't give a shit."... and they got up in my face for swearing at them. Dark ages.

The N word would definitely go the wrong way.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #34 of 141
Quote:

1. How do you know what Apple isn't interested in?

2. I covered that.

3. Exactly.

4. Then the contracts will most likely be re-written. Dealing Dre and Iovine's money is different than dealing with Apple's money. Anyone in business would be a fool not to want more.

1) I'm not making any absolute claims as to what Apple is or interested in. If you wanted to state that as opinion it was easy enough, "In my opinion I don't think Apple is interested in the hardware sales."

2) It read to me as if you were ignoring that when you answered a comment about the growth of Beats Music in a month with the entire rumoured sale of the company for $3.2 billion.

post #35 of 141
Quote:

Right and so was AOL once to Time Warner.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #36 of 141
Quote:

1) I don't think KKK members and musicians that perform a certain of genre of music shouldn't be at opposing ends of a scale.

2) What about the words nincompoop and scallywag? These used to be highly offensive, as were pretty much anything that blasphemous but if someone says "Oh God!" in public it doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow in most circles.

3) The fact that we have a series of phonemes that considered offensive regardless of its usage, meaning or intent is ridiculous to me. How is we can be so irrational as to be filled with negative emotion from having a momentary utterance of a sound resonate off our auditory system, but if someone uses a more subtle term with the now common subtle racism and bigotry (except on the internet of course) we don't bat and eye. Are we really that superficial and ignorant to think the letters that form the word or the sound it makes are the problem as if words can truly be cursed. I didn't think we were living in the dark age.

Rap ruined the Grammys and it will ruin Apple.

post #37 of 141
Quote:

Depends where you're from. I'm from an urban area and we grew up using the n word 30 times a sentence. I back away from it now cause I'm older, but I can still go up to a group of black kids and say "y'all niggas crazy" and they wouldn't mind. We know we don't mean it in a racist way even though it's a horrible word (one that I hope my kids don't use it as freely as we did)

Disclaimer: I'm Hispanic.
post #38 of 141
Quote:

It is just a word. We give the word meaning. We give a word power. There is nothing innate about six specific letters or phonemes in a row. It's a learn reaction. As previously mentioned the examples I gave now range from mundane to comical but at one time society considered them offensive. All words are invented, despite what @drblank wants to believe. Language (like music) is neither static nor contained.

Of course words are just made up of letters.

Chances are still very high that you would get your ass kicked if you said the wrong words to certain people, and I doubt that they would be interested in listening to any explanation from you about phonemes or how language is not static or contained.:lol:

post #39 of 141

Dubious comparison.

dmz

post #40 of 141
Not sure how you can combine the words "impressive" with 110k users. That is 0% compared to iTunes 500 million accounts.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats Music had 110K subscribers in March with impressive free-to-paid conversion