or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cheaper $400 Xbox One coming sans Kinect as consoles face pressure from low-cost streamers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheaper $400 Xbox One coming sans Kinect as consoles face pressure from low-cost streamers - Page 3

post #81 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Bill probably overheard Steve say that. I don't think Gates ever had an original thought in his life other than 'reverse engineer anything Steve's companies do'.

Lol. But seriously, he actually said this during a presentation. I'll never find it, but I would be surprised if it indeed was circa 2003.
Quote:

I suspect a lot more is being shot in 4K than you may think. Like color was long before many had color TVs. Youtube already supporting 4K tells me this will move quickly along. It is quite a shock when you see it, I think the average Joe will go for it as soon as costs come down and I suspect Netflix will be offering it sooner than later. It's no gimmick like 3D was.

True. And a good point on not being gimmicky, but are predictions like I read here indeed true?
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/market-research-says-tv-sales-to-rebound-on-k-in-/220403

Here's an old, oct 2012, article with a negative view of the future of 4k:
https://technology.ihs.com/412090/4k-televisions-to-see-marginal-share-of-lcd-tv-market-through-2017

I don't think this will help though:
http://bgr.com/2013/09/04/sony-4k-video-store/

Anyway, read or don't read those short articles, this YT video on the nMP with a 4k display is an informative one:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUvphmy0v2k

But that's not a video on 4k TV, so I'll do some searching over the weekend on its marketshare and projections for the near future.

Thank you.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Someone tested a sub-$500 PC against the consoles:

Those videos have sub 500 pounds when they start, which is technically sub US$840

Oh yeah, in that case a console is better value for gaming given that you also don't have to source parts, build it, install the OS etc.
post #83 of 95
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
You do know what anonymous means? If you want me to libel you, post your real name.

 

Sure thing. Right after you prove “anonymity” can’t engender libel.

 
A $500 PC will have on board graphics…

 

Again, wrong. I have already told you what a $500 PC can do.

 
A GTX 760 is 66% of the price of a PS4…

 

And?

 
…by the time you purchase the rest of the PC you are up to $2000…

 

No, by the time you purchase the rest of the PC, you’ve saved $5.

 
but for some reason the fact that a $2000 PC can produce better gaming graphics than a NZ$600 PS4 surprises you?

 

No, but thanks for the strawman.

 
Only to you.

 

No, you don’t have a clue what subjectivity is.

 
What are you talking about?

 

The topic you personally brought up. Try to pay attention.

 
how does that have anything to do with a game getting a patch released for it?

 

So there’s a console game that got a “patch” released for it which allowed the disc to be played on a PC? Do tell.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/16/14 at 10:43am
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Sure thing. Right after you prove “anonymity” can’t engender libel.

 

Depends on jurisdiction but for the most part it would be extremely difficult for you to win a libel suit.  Given that TS is not a pen name used by you but just an internet handle it would be very very difficult to show harm is occurring and coupled with the examples of you engaging in flame wars and egregious name calling you'd end up like that bloke in england that sued over bad reviews and a flame war against his pen name and ended up paying for all the legal fees.

post #85 of 95
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Depends on jurisdiction but for the most part it would be extremely difficult for you to win a libel suit.

 

Oh, heavens, I’ve no intention of pursuing legal action! I just don’t see how it’s okay for him to spread lies about someone without at least some recourse.

post #86 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Oh, heavens, I’ve no intention of pursuing legal action! I just don’t see how it’s okay for him to spread lies about someone without at least some recourse.

 

Libel is a legal term.  Other than a lawsuit and the site TOS there is no other recourse.

 

Besides, you did make a false claim ("The fact that they can do 1080p60 when Microsoft and Sony are limited to 720p30 is just a plus.") so what he stated isn't libel anyway and the only one guilty of defamation is you against Sony and MS.

 

That you edited it later means his assertion was correct.  Even your modified statement is likely incorrect depending on how one defines "often".  Not ONE of your PS4 examples was limited to 720p30.

post #87 of 95
Originally Posted by nht View Post

the only one guilty of defamation is you against Sony and MS.

 

Sure thing. I guess you missed the links.

 
Not ONE of your PS4 examples was limited to 720p30.

 

Not one of them was 1080p, either, as was the original claim.

post #88 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not one of them was 1080p, either, as was the original claim.

Mosts titles do seem to run at 1080p:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

I don't think the resolution is as important as the in-game effects and framerate. 1080p is just sharper.
post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Sure thing. I guess you missed the links.

 

No, I didn't but evidently you did since the links were wrong.  For example this link:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Titanfall (below 720p)

 

 

Is for the 360 and NOT the XBox One.

 

Other links indicate that the games are running either at 900p or at 60 fps and not 720p/30 as you assert. 

 

In fact you did not provide a single link to support even your amended assertion that "The fact that they can do 1080p60 when Microsoft and Sony are often limited to 720p30, even for 1st party and AAA games is just a plus."

 

Every single link is either for the wrong system (360), a higher resolution (900p) or faster frame rate (60 fps vs 30 fps).  EVERY.  SINGLE.  LINK.  You didn't even have ONE that supported your claim.  Not one.

 

Moreover the assertion is disingenuous in that the WiiU is incapable of rendering ANY of these games at 1080p/60 either.  The 1080p games on the WiiU are much simpler titles with less demanding graphics.

 

Quote:
 Not one of them was 1080p, either, as was the original claim.

 

No.  The original claim was: "The fact that they can do 1080p60 when Microsoft and Sony are limited to 720p30 is just a plus."

 

This was so clearly wrong and you had to retract.

post #90 of 95
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Is for the 360 and NOT the XBox One.

 

Oh dear, look at that. So many links, I knew I’d slip up somewhere. Here’s the Xbone.

 

Every single link is either for the wrong system (360), a higher resolution (900p) or faster frame rate (60 fps vs 30 fps).  EVERY.  SINGLE.  LINK.  You didn't even have ONE that supported your claim.  Not one.

 

Okay. And? My statement certainly remains more correct than the original to which it replied, even if it itself wasn’t entirely accurate.

 
Moreover the assertion is disingenuous in that the WiiU is incapable of rendering ANY of these games at 1080p/60 either.

 

I made no such assertion whatsoever.

 
The 1080p games on the WiiU are much simpler titles with less demanding graphics.

 

Your evidence of this being?

 
No.  The original claim was: "The fact that they can do 1080p60 when Microsoft and Sony are limited to 720p30 is just a plus."

 

This was so clearly wrong and you had to retract.

 

And I did. Your point being?

post #91 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh dear, look at that. So many links, I knew I’d slip up somewhere. Here’s the Xbone.

Which still doesn't support the assertion that Xbox One games are often limited to 720p 30.
Quote:
Okay. And? My statement certainly remains more correct than the original to which it replied, even if it itself wasn’t entirely accurate.

First, it's doesn't matter that the original statement was wrong and second, there was no original statement related to this topic until you brought it up. You were responding to this:

"You don't understand the point to console gaming. It's not to have a computer in the living room, or wherever the big screen Tv is. It's to have a device specifically made for gaming and streaming. And that's what consoles do best."

You made a snide unprompted comment that was completely wrong.
Quote:
Your evidence of this being?

The fact that the WiiU has inferior graphics hardware and therefore could not render equally demanding titles at twice the resolution as the XBox one much less the PS4.
Quote:
And I did. Your point being?

The point being is that it's not libel if he's stating the truth. What you wrote was wrong. What you changed it to is STILL wrong.
Edited by nht - 5/16/14 at 3:34pm
post #92 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure thing. Right after you prove “anonymity” can’t engender libel.

Sure thing, not going to be hard to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, wrong. I have already told you what a $500 PC can do.

Well going by half the post on this site, a $500 PC can't do much at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And?

Well if you need that explaining, then wow, just wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, by the time you purchase the rest of the PC, you’ve saved $5.

So it will be $1995?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So there’s a console game that got a “patch” released for it which allowed the disc to be played on a PC? Do tell.

I have never said that, I believe like most times, you forget to read properly. I said they may release a patch to increase the frame rate, which has been done for other PS4 games.
post #93 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not one of them was 1080p, either, as was the original claim.

On the PS4 most of them run at 1080p. But your original claim was they mostly run at 720p30, which has been proved numerous times to be incorrect
post #94 of 95
Is this where AI readers get to say:

"Game On"

?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #95 of 95
Originally Posted by nht View Post
The fact that the WiiU has inferior graphics hardware and therefore could not render equally demanding titles at twice the resolution as the XBox one much less the PS4.

 

Hey, sure thing. :no:

 

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
Well going by half the post on this site, a $500 PC can't do much at all.

 

In no way is this statement related to the conversation at hand.

 
Well if you need that explaining, then wow, just wow

 

There’s nothing to be explained. Your statement, again, has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

 
So it will be $1995?

 

What part of “A $500 PC can output better graphics than a PlayStation 4” was difficult for you to comprehend, exactly? Let’s go through it WORD BY WORD if we have to. I refuse to accept that you’re actually this stupid.

 
I said they may release a patch to increase the frame rate, which has been done for other PS4 games.

 

No, you said they may release a PC. I see now that either your autocorrect changed something or you did and forgot to reread the sentence. Ignore this point, then; it was just a misunderstanding.

 

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
On the PS4 most of them run at 1080p.

 

In agreement.

 
But your original claim was they mostly run at 720p30

 

Not mostly.

 
…which has been proved numerous times to be incorrect…

 

Right about that, though. Still, the claim that it’s a 1080p system is only more true than the Xbone, not true in itself. Particularly with AAA games.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cheaper $400 Xbox One coming sans Kinect as consoles face pressure from low-cost streamers