or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone now accounts for one in three Japanese mobile phone shipments

Apple's iPhone now accounts for one in three Japanese mobile phone shipments - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post

Doesn't the fact that you had to research extensively before coming here to be able to get an MVNP SIM for data prove the point at how backwards Japan is in regards to Payn'Go?

I'd like to know which MVNPs in Japan are offering both voice and data without a contract—I only know of the BIC SIM and perhaps a B-mobile SIM and both require proof of residence, but I could be wrong as things are changing here. Yes, I stand corrected, there are now some MVNP data-only providers who don't need a contract, but messing with SIL and SIP phone settings is beyond what most people want to do, although LINE makes it much easier. Japan is a sophisticated mobile market in many ways but the inability to buy a Payn'Go SIM from a corner shop, put it in an unlocked phone, and start making phone calls and using data instantly puts Japan behind many developing countries where full voice and data SIMs can be bought almost anywhere. I have a suspicion that it is due to Japan's National Police Agency wanting to keep a tight lid on knowing who has what phone number but have never heard that said in public.

For those visiting Japan and needing a data SIM, here is an extensive list of who offers what, but you need to read Japanese! 

http://ma-bank.net/word/92/

I'll state the obvious and point out the obscene levels of "misuse" of phones enabled with a camera. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get a data-only sim even in the US if you're from outside the US. Why Japan seems any different is probably a matter of perspective.
post #42 of 43
Wow! Just wow
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I'll state the obvious and point out the obscene levels of "misuse" of phones enabled with a camera. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get a data-only sim even in the US if you're from outside the US. Why Japan seems any different is probably a matter of perspective.

You can get a 14 day one with like 1GB for $30 very easily as a tourist.  Longer ones are easy to get, do not require a 2-year contract, but require a local credit card and you basically sign up for a recurring billing that you can cancel at any time (which is what I did -- cancelled after 3 weeks and used my SIL as the billing interface).  There are also 6 month ones you can get.  Before we went this last trip, I did a bunch of research and most if not all of the data only SIMs did not strictly require residency and could be bought on Amazon (which is what I did) but did require a local CC and address etc. to register and activate.  Except for the 14 day tourist one.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone now accounts for one in three Japanese mobile phone shipments
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone now accounts for one in three Japanese mobile phone shipments