or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung issues apology to cancer-stricken semiconductor plant workers

Samsung issues apology to cancer-stricken semiconductor plant workers - Page 2

post #41 of 63

So where are the hired army of pro-Samsung shills now?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is way too technical for me. I'm only aware of my numerous Japanese and Chinese associates who often switch out an "l" with an "r" when enunciating English words. A typical example is the English word "Bleach" would be spoken as "Breach".

From what I've read (or seemingly remember reading) there appears to be different core linguistic reasons and ways in which the "R"/"L" issue goes between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean languages, but it's well above my head to understand exactly why which means I wouldn't even be able to explain it.

I'm slightly torn by modern communication driving less common languages into extinction, but at the same time we're homogenizing language which will allow for better and more accurate communication which means less of a chance for miscommunication and more time for working on progress.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 63

SamsungInsider...WTH does this have to do with Apple News/Rumors? Who the F&^%$! cares!

post #44 of 63
Wow. They just stooped even lower for the 7th time. And I though announcing that galaxy s 5hit in Steve Jobs birthday was low. They always amaze to find a way to lower them selves and dig beneath the mine shaft.
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

SamsungInsider...WTH does this have to do with Apple News/Rumors? Who the F&^%$! cares!

It's nice when the shoe is on the other foot. Apple gets dragged through the coals when they don't provide safe working conditions for their assembly partners so it's only fair that AI reports when Samsung is found to infract in the same way.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

True, and a good observation. The chaebol system is dynastic and familial in nature, which makes sense in Eastern culture, which strongly values loyalty and group harmony over individual talent.

and this is the reason why Apple will win in the end...
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSammi View Post

A solution not found in a timely manner?
What an apology!
Very hypocritical!

you are right... it is a complete "dick move" on his part...talk about condescending...
post #48 of 63

Incidentally, the Samsung chairman is still unconscious. His days may be numbered.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/05/14/apple-samsung-dynasty-successor/

If he dies, expect an epic insider struggle for power at Samsung.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 5/14/14 at 5:11pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

It's nice when the shoe is on the other foot. Apple gets dragged through the coals when they don't provide safe working conditions for their assembly partners so it's only fair that AI reports when Samsung is found to infract in the same way.

Apple gets blamed when it's a company they are in anyway associated with, even of the issue in no way involves components of products made for Apple.

The only reason this is unusual is that the headlines don't elude to Apple which is good and bad. Good because it doesn't blame Apple but bad because it means Samsung's mindshare is high enough they don't need to tie the story to Apple to get page hits.

post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From what I've read (or seemingly remember reading) there appears to be different core linguistic reasons and ways in which the "R"/"L" issue goes between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean languages, but it's well above my head to understand exactly why which means I wouldn't even be able to explain it.

I'm slightly torn by modern communication driving less common languages into extinction, but at the same time we're homogenizing language which will allow for better and more accurate communication which means less of a chance for miscommunication and more time for working on progress.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand Japanese is spoken/written using a predefined set of syllables that don't include the "L" sound. Japanese also integrated a lot of english words to their language and write them using those syllables, replacing the "L" sound with an "uR" sound. When Japanese say "clear" (an English word they actually use), they pronounce it "cu-r-ear". (Yeah, most of my Japanese knowledge comes from watching Game Center CX  :) )

post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand Japanese is spoken/written using a predefined set of syllables that don't include the "L" sound. Japanese also integrated a lot of english words to their language and write them using those syllables, replacing the "L" sound with an "uR" sound. When Japanese say "clear" (an English word they actually use), they pronounce it "cu-r-ear". (Yeah, most of my Japanese knowledge comes from watching Game Center CX  1smile.gif )

This may answer your questions. Unfortunately I can't read it right now so I can't say either way if you're right or wrong, but I can say that how they are heard is not consistent among all Asiatic languages.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_speakers_learning_r_and_l

post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Quote:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand Japanese is spoken/written using a predefined set of syllables that don't include the "L" sound. Japanese also integrated a lot of english words to their language and write them using those syllables, replacing the "L" sound with an "uR" sound. When Japanese say "clear" (an English word they actually use), they pronounce it "cu-r-ear". (Yeah, most of my Japanese knowledge comes from watching Game Center CX  1smile.gif )

Japanese has a single-tongue-tap "r" that sounds to an English-speaker's ear like a "d". They don't have the English growled "r" (hardly anybody does). Japanese doesn't have an "l" sound, but hear an English "l" as being an allophone of their phoneme "r".

Chinese is the complete opposite. They have an "l" sound, but "r" only occurs in that "erh" ending that's so overused in the Peking dialect (Kind of their version of Cockney.) It's really an r-colored "zh", like the Polish "rz"—nothing like the English (or Japanese) "r".

Koreans have no issue with "l" and "r", although both are of course single-tongue-tap sounds that differ only in the position of the blade of the tongue. The English growled "r" and "l" are difficult for practically everybody.
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So where are the hired army of pro-Samsung shills now?

Do you have any idea how boring your comments are, or do you still think you're intelligent ?

post #54 of 63

Go home Shamesung, nobody wants you!

post #55 of 63
Funny, the NY Times could've gotten a Pulitzer for this.
post #56 of 63
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
"Samsung issues apology to cancer-stricken semiconductor plant workers" and will give each stricken worker a refirbished Galaxy Gear watch...

“…Of note is the battery of the Galaxy Gear watch, which borrows a trick from older watches. Remember those wristwatches with glow in the dark numbers created by radium salt? Well, the Galaxy Gear offers you the newest in battery luxury. It runs off of depleted uranium, ensuring that your watch’s battery will last… longer than you do!”

"According to the AP, Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee -- whose father founded the conglomerate in 1938 -- wants to resolve the cancer dispute before handing the company's reins to his son."

He just doesn’t want to be around to be blamed when they start keeling over. Very nice of him, throwing his son under the bus. That’s EXACTLY what he’s doing.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Do you have any idea how boring your comments are, or do you still think you're intelligent ?

Aha! There's one now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #58 of 63
Quote:

I'm not seeing the racism in that comment. I read sowwy as an insincere, childlike usage of the word sorry. Not as the lallation of the letters "L" and "R". If his goal was to insult a native Asian speaker wouldn't he have spelled is solly?

You are correct.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #59 of 63
Quote:

Aha! There's one now.

You should have answered with…

or…

I'm a big fan of the running theme and coming full circle.

post #60 of 63
Quote:

You should have answered with…

or…

I'm a big fan of the running theme and coming full circle.

Now I'm sowwy I didn't introduce the joke a bit better.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #61 of 63
Quote:

Now I'm sowwy I didn't introduce the joke a bit better.

The punchline was lost in translation. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #62 of 63
Shamesung, some companies have zero respect for anything and everything
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is not always easy to know what illegal or unethical aspects there are in the goods you are buying if they were produced in the developing world. For example, most people don't realize that the coffee and tea they are drinking was probably produced using child labor and banned chemicals. They don't print that stuff on the label.

Personally, I believe there should be required supply chain audits done before any goods can be imported, we shouldn't be waiting until some horrible situation is discovered before investigating. If it is not required, the manufacturers will cut corners as much as possible to make a buck and that is where the problem starts. You can't trust people to just do the right thing, especially if it costs them money.

This is not a only third world issue, those people who buy Organic Milk which is produced on a family run farm or if you buy products made by American Amish are all produce with child labor. Family run farms means everyone in the family works the farm. If you going to point out the fact that most Coffee bean farms in third world are small family farms that use child labor you have to point out the fact that it is also done in the US. But really there is nothing wrong with kids working a family run farm, it build good character and work ethics.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung issues apology to cancer-stricken semiconductor plant workers