or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Teardown offers rare look inside hard-drive equipped 1990 Apple Mac Classic

Teardown offers rare look inside hard-drive equipped 1990 Apple Mac Classic - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post
soft dust pillow that had accumulated on top of the gibbons inside.

Can't say I ever had monkeys in my Mac. :p 

My first Mac was an SE with dual floppies and a internal 45MB HD. Cost $3000+. That was my college machine. It's sitting in a closet and hasn't been plugged in in years. I still have a lot of software for it though. Art of War, a bunch of Infocom games, WordPerfect. Many with the original boxes.

My first Apple was a //e.

Ah, nostalgia.

- Jasen.

post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I threw my Mac plus away when hitting it on the side would no longer change the screen from a small white dot in the centre to a normal desktop.

Maxed it out at 1MB from the 256k it came with.

The Mac Plus supported 4 MB of RAM, and it shipped with 1 MB standard.

post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

But a dirty ROM...

Install the free Mode32 software and the ROM was patched, and the SE/30 supported a whopping 128 MB of RAM for its era.

post #44 of 50

My original Mac Plus next to my 2011 iMac 27", duplicating the photo for the Mac's 30th Birthday.  The Plus works for about 20 minutes before the analog board starts to warm up and blur the display.  Sits on my bookshelf.

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Several orders of magnitude more powerful would mean around at least 1,000 times more powerful, and I see that as highly likely.

One comparison I love is that the earliest Palm Pilots from the late 90s, like the venerable Palm III series, were extremely similar to the Mac in many ways, both in hardware and in the OS, (having been designed by ex-Apple employees), yet they had 68K CPUs that were twice as fast, and 4-8 times as much memory as those early Macs.  They were also all in one devices, and they had touch screen GUIs.  

(Note that Palms were admittedly inferior to the much more powerful Symbian based PDAs of the time, which had powerful ARM cpus and a full 2-D windowing GUI OS, but Palms were so close to being Macs that it makes for a cool technology comparison.)

post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Mine doesn't boot anymore, probably needs to be re-cap'd.

By what measure is the iPod touch "several orders of magnitude" more powerful? If you're going to say it's 1,000 times or 10,000 times more powerful, that's a big statement and should be backed up somehow....

Just for some examples:  68000 @ 8 MHz = 1 MIP.   Modern GPU accelerated program 3-6 teraflops.  That's several million times faster, although admittedly a single thread, unoptimized program would likely only see 5 gigaflops, or about 5,000 times faster.  Memory - 1-2 megabytes vs 8-32 gigabytes, about 4,000 times more.  Hard drive:  40 megabytes vs 1-4 terabytes, about 25,000 times more.  Hard drive throughput:  SCSI I at 5 megabytes/second, vs high end SSD at 800 MB/second = about 160x faster.  Network speed:  3 Megabits vs 1-10 gigabits, about 1000x faster. Display: 24KB vs 20MB on retina display, about 1,000 times better screen.

To be fair, the number of keys on the keyboard hasn't changed as much. ;)

post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The Mac Plus supported 4 MB of RAM, and it shipped with 1 MB standard.

it was a long time ago, it must have been 4 slots, after the upgrade I used a 256k stick on my keyring, I had more than one.

It had a 700k floppy and I had a $3000 20MB external hard drive

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

yeah that guy has no idea what he is talking about

Off the top of my head the macs came out as

Original Mac - 128K

Mac 512

Mac Plus

Mac SE

Mac SE/30

Mac Classic 

Mac Classic II

The signatures stop after the Mac 512, as far as I am aware the last know Mac with visible signature was the Mac II FX and if you have one of those it is rare since those were on the actually PCBA and was removed shortly after they first shipped.

I had the opportunity of using a II FX in 1990 for about 4 month at home, thank you Apple Kuwait, with a $18K color 21" monitor. It was one of the best experiences ever!!

I ended up writing a 3D version (not true 3D just 3D images on a slanted landscape) of Frogger, added a new stage where the frog entered a school yard and was targeted by kids :)

That was when I felt that the Mac outshined my Amiga and I eased off from being the Amiga zealot I was, the Amiga OS was relatively awkward and buggy.

bb
bb
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

That was when I felt that the Mac outshined my Amiga and I eased off from being the Amiga zealot I was, the Amiga OS was relatively awkward and buggy.

...but it did have a maths co-processor.

post #50 of 50
ALL MAC CLASSICS HAD HARD DRIVES!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Teardown offers rare look inside hard-drive equipped 1990 Apple Mac Classic