or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's rumored Beats acquisition reportedly pushed back one week

Apple's rumored Beats acquisition reportedly pushed back one week

post #1 of 102
A report late Wednesday claims finalization of Apple's rumored bid to acquire Beats Electronics for $3.2 billion may be pushed back, leaving industry watchers more time to speculate on what the supposed buy means for both companies.

Source: Beats Music

Citing people familiar with Apple's negotiations with Beats, Re/code reports a deal may not be inked until next week, one week later than originally rumored.

The news is the latest chapter in a string of rumors, speculation and analysis surrounding an Apple-Beats tie-up, which has been making headlines since multiple publications reported the two companies were in buyout discussions last week.

While neither company has confirmed the talks, a video surfaced online last week showing Beats cofounder Dr. Dre, whose real name is Andre Young, seemingly celebrating the acquisition with actor Tyrese Gibson. The "evidence," however, is circumstantial at best.

After showing initial confusion, some analysts are now saying Apple's Beats buy could be a smart strategic move that would open new doors for the Cupertino, Calf.-based company. Along with Young's cachet, Beats cofounder Jimmy Iovine is a powerful figure in the music industry and currently sits as chairman of record label Interscope Geffen A&M. The two executives would likely take on senior positions at Apple if and when the $3.2 billion deal is inked.

It has also been speculated that Beats Music, the firm's fledgling streaming service, is Apple's main target, with Beats' high-margin audio hardware business being a secondary benefit.

Most recently, a report on Monday claimed Iovine and Young may take the stage at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.
post #2 of 102
How is next week on a rumor pushing anything back?
post #3 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Well it's only been speculated that the rumoured deal won't be finalised while next week. Lol.
post #4 of 102
Strange picture, the person on the left looks like he's in need of taking a dump and the guy on the right doesn't seem happy - at all.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #5 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Now we have rumors about other rumors. 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 102
It's just a hint of a whisper of an unverified rumor.

In other news, Leo Laporte says the whole rumor was concocted by Iovine and Dre to get Google to buy their company.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange picture, the person on the left looks like he's in need of taking a dump and the guy on the right doesn't seem happy - at all.

They've both just been told they're not getting reserved parking slots at the Spaceship.

post #8 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

They've both just been told they're not getting reserved parking slots at the Spaceship.

And no free coffee!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 102

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LIKE CLOCKWORK EVERY TIME.

Rumored product isn’t happening? IT WAS JUST DELAYED I’M NOT WRONG PLEASE KEEP PAYING ME. Rumored purchase isn’t happening? ANNOUNCEMENT PUSHED BACK.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #10 of 102
I heard it was due to supply constraints.
post #11 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Flavor Flav wants in on the deal so he can were Apple's new Campus II around his neck.

(Still working on that joke)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 102
If there really is a deal in the works, I hope the delay is for renegotiating the price due to the music moguls running off at the mouth. A couple hundred million should be about right for violating non-disclosure agreements. If they are going to work at Apple, they have to be less about grabbing the spotlight and more about advancing the team.
post #13 of 102
I'm really hoping this deal goes through. After watching Iovine talk about Beats during his All Things D interview last year, it seems pretty obvious how much his vision of the future of music and music curation can improve iTunes; iTunes has always been surprisingly devoid of human touch/curation. This is one of the few things that Apple can't do in house. Clever algorithms are not enough. You need people that know about music and know people in music; Jimmy, Dre, and Trent certainly do. It's not just hype; since the rumors came out I've been playing with Beats Music and it's really great (I know, anecdotal). Also, if you pay attention in the video, Jimmy hints about working with Apple and incorporating info about your iTunes library into the service. Finally, all of this potential comes at very little risk (other than upsetting some Apple fans on forums, and providing fodder for the typical FUD makers in the media), as the hardware aspect of the business leaves minimal financial risk.

post #14 of 102
Quote:

post #15 of 102

Wouldn't it be great if there were actually talks happening, but no final deal reached yet, and then after that idiotic video, Apple is reconsidering the whole deal, which is why there is this mysterious delay all of a sudden? That would be the logical thing to do in my opinion. Apple is a multi billion dollar corporation, and they shouldn't be hiring any clowns with loose mouths. Apple needs to double down on security, and not do the opposite by exposing themselves to more threats.

This rumor needs a good conclusion, and the best thing that could happen is if this deal is dead.

If the deal does turn out to be true, then so be it, but I will be pretty glad if it doesn't happen. In the big scheme of all things Apple, this is pretty insignificant, in my opinion, and Apple should be concentrating on far more important and bigger things.

post #16 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

I'm really hoping this deal goes through. After watching Iovine talk about Beats during his All Things D interview last year, it seems pretty obvious how much his vision of the future of music and music curation can improve iTunes; iTunes has always been surprisingly devoid of human touch/curation. This is one of the few things that Apple can't do in house. Clever algorithms are not enough. You need people that know about music and know people in music; Jimmy, Dre, and Trent certainly do. It's not just hype; since the rumors came out I've been playing with Beats Music and it's really great (I know, anecdotal). Also, if you pay attention in the video, Jimmy hints about working with Apple and incorporating info about your iTunes library into the service. Finally, all of this potential comes at very little risk (other than upsetting some Apple fans on forums, and providing fodder for the typical FUD makers in the media), as the hardware aspect of the business leaves minimal financial risk.
Is music really the future? This seems so mid 2000s to me. As if Apple is trying to get back some of the iPod cool. Listen to this recent podcast from Ben Thompson: http://exponent.fm/. the guy on the podcast with him makes some good points. Apple's MO has always been about making the best products. I don't see how this fits in with that. It doesn't seem like Beats really has the best of anything other than just a cool brand. And when in the past has Apple purchased another company for its brand or for a revenue stream? If Jimmy Iovine is really that special surely Apple could have nabbed him without having to buy the whole company?

Streaming music certainly is the future of music, but is it the next big thing? We can make fun of Google buying a thermostat company, but what they were really buying into is the internet of things, buying into big data. Tony Fadell already said they're thinking beyond thermostats and smoke detectors. Go to any website these days and all you see are Microsoft Cloud advertisements. They're all over TV too. Again all about big data. Microsoft's virtual assistant Cortana already has more functionality than Siri does. To me Beats isn't skating to where the puck will be. It's trying to buy some cool and fix a music service that Apple should have working on 3-4 years ago. Acquisitions like AuthenTec, PrimeSense, a lot of the location mapping stuff, the hires with experience in the medical devices fields, those all seem more about the future than Beats does. And none of them cost $3B.
post #17 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If the deal does turn out to be true, then so be it, but I will be pretty glad if it doesn't happen. In the big scheme of all things Apple, this is pretty insignificant, in my opinion, and Apple should be concentrating on far more important and bigger things.
This. As I said in a previous thread, if AI ran a poll asking people what acquisition Apple should make or what it should be focusing on I doubt Beats would have ever made the list. And yeah iTunes Radio may not be the best streaming music service but is that Apple's most pressing concern? I don't think so.
post #18 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As I said in a previous thread, if AI ran a poll asking people what acquisition Apple should make or what it should be focusing on I doubt Beats would have ever made the list.

I think you're probably right, but that is only because we're only likely to think of companies that appeal to use or have enough mindshare to that we'd think of them even if they don't directly appeal to us. Nest? Bad buy. Moto? Bad buy. Oculus? Bad buy. Instagram? Bad buy. Twitter? Bad buy. LinkedIn? Bad buy. (All those buys are my opinions)

The right buy for Apple is likely to be something we don't expect as their history has been acquisitions we didn't expect so our not guessing that Apple would PA Semi or even understanding what kind of a lead that would give Apple is not something we should rebuke them for doing.

If this rumour turns out to be true you should ask yourself what you're not seeing, not ask why Apple is so stupid or why the board hasn't fired Tim Cook yet.

post #19 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think you're probably right, but that is only because we're only likely to think of companies that appeal to use or have enough mindshare to that we'd think of them even if they don't directly appeal to us. Nest? Bad buy. Moto? Bad buy. Oculus? Bad buy. Instagram? Bad buy. Twitter? Bad buy. LinkedIn? Bad buy. (All those buys are my opinions)

The right buy for Apple is likely to be something we don't expect as their history has been acquisitions we didn't expect so our not guessing that Apple would PA Semi or even understanding what kind of a lead that would give Apple is not something we should rebuke them for doing.

If this rumour turns out to be true you should ask yourself what you're not seeing, not ask why Apple is so stupid or why the board hasn't fired Tim Cook yet.
I'm seeing in my Twitter feed that leaks came from one side (i.e. not Apple). And now there is speculation that Apple is putting the screws to Beats over price or that perhaps what gets announced won't be an acquisition, but something else. I don't think that Dre video (which got pulled) was a smart idea. And if these leaks came from Beats I can see where Apple would be pissed. I suppose it's possible that there were negotiations with nothing finalized but someone at Beats decided to leak it and perhaps Apple decided to
It the breaks on it. One can hope.1smile.gif
post #20 of 102
Wonder what the excuse will be next week if it doesn't pan out.

I said all along I don't mind the deal, I just believe 3.2 is way too high of a number and it should be around 2b. Which is still overvalued, but within reason. 3.2 isn't.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #21 of 102
The merger sounds like a marriage between High Elf and Orc.
post #22 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshca View Post

The merger sounds like a marriage between High Elf and Orc.

About the best description I've seen so far.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 102

There’s a picture of a mock-up of the deal circulating around the web. Why doesn’t AI have it?

post #24 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Wonder what the excuse will be next week if it doesn't pan out.

I said all along I don't mind the deal, I just believe 3.2 is way too high of a number and it should be around 2b. Which is still overvalued, but within reason. 3.2 isn't.

There will be analyst’s reports of how Apple screwed up the deal and is doomed.

post #25 of 102
Quote:

Is music really the future? This seems so mid 2000s to me. .
Says a member of the 'old brigade'.
post #26 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Exactly. I am a believer in 'curated'. It's always better. It provides context.
post #27 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Says a member of the 'old brigade'.
How come we're not hearing about other companies wanting to buy Beats? Surely companies like Facebook, Google and Microsoft also want to appeal to millennials (though I'm not convinced you have to buy Beats to do that).
post #28 of 102
Quote:

That picture was taken before being told that they were going to be bought for $3.2 billion. They're much more jovial in the after photo. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #29 of 102
Quote:

I'm seeing in my Twitter feed that leaks came from one side (i.e. not Apple). And now there is speculation that Apple is putting the screws to Beats over price or that perhaps what gets announced won't be an acquisition, but something else. I don't think that Dre video (which got pulled) was a smart idea. And if these leaks came from Beats I can see where Apple would be pissed. I suppose it's possible that there were negotiations with nothing finalized but someone at Beats decided to leak it and perhaps Apple decided to
It the breaks on it. One can hope.1smile.gif

I'm sure there are many here that remember a certain Graphics card maker pre announcing a deal with Apple only to be frozen out by Apple as a punishment for the leaks. I couldn't help having a flash back on reading this rumor.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #30 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In the big scheme of all things Apple, this is pretty insignificant, in my opinion, and Apple should be concentrating on far more important and bigger things.

Yet Apple has become highly successful by concentrating on the little things, and getting them right. Will you guys ridicule each other when this turns into a smart move?
post #31 of 102
It may just coincidence, but the American Idol * Final 3 talents performed yesterday and the final 2 will be selected tonight, Next Tue/Wed will be the finals.

* Jimmy mentored on American Idol for 2 years (on the 2 shows per week Feb - May (about 16 shows, 32 appearances per year)
American Idol has some tie-in with iTunes -- there's a free iTunes app and they always tell you to download the latest performances from iTunes
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #32 of 102
Quote:

I for one would have mentioned at least one streaming service as a good acquisition and I'm sure a lot of people would have also added a streaming service to their acquisition list. Beats wouldn't have been one of them because of the added baggage of the hardware... whether it's making big bucks or not.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 102
Bad omen.
Get out Apple while you still can.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #34 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I for one would have mentioned at least one streaming service as a good acquisition and I'm sure a lot of people would have also added a streaming service to their acquisition list. Beats wouldn't have been one of them because of the added baggage of the hardware... whether it's making big bucks or not.

1) I don't add any because I don't know of any streaming service that has been recently acquired by another company at a highly inflated price that doesn't like up with minimal profits or losses. What are Pandora and Spotify doing in revenue and profits?

2) According to the rumours the HW "baggage" is the reason why this rumoured deal is in the billions range. Everything else appears to be a cost center or operating at a loss.

post #35 of 102
Quote:

1) I don't add any because I don't know of any streaming service that has been recently acquired by another company at a highly inflated price that doesn't like up with minimal profits or losses. What are Pandora and Spotify doing in revenue and profits?

2) According to the rumours the HW "baggage" is the reason why this rumoured deal is in the billions range. Everything else appears to be a cost center or operating at a loss.

1. How many acquisitions has Apple made in the last 3 years of companies that have large profits?

2. As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much it's making, this just isn't in Apple's DNA... imo.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 102
Quote:

1. How many acquisitions has Apple made in the last 3 years of companies that have large profits?

2. As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much it's making, this just isn't in Apple's DNA... imo.

1) Probably very few, if any, but it's also unlikely any were even close to the $3.2 billion of this rumour. Why should Apple having a lot of money mean they should just waste it on overpaying for companies?

2) Maybe, maybe not, but Apple doesn't have better headphones than Beats, but that's beside the point. If they are going to make a multi-billion dollar acquisition I'd want it to be a company that is making enough profits to pay off that investment in short order.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/15/14 at 11:37am

post #37 of 102
Quote:

1) Probably very few, if any, but it's also unlikely any were even close to the $3.2 billion of this rumour. Why should Apple having a lot of money mean they should just waste it on overpaying for companies?

2) Maybe, maybe not, but Apple doesn't have better headphones than Beats, but that's beside the point. If they are going to make a multi-billion dollar acquisitor I'd want it to be a company that is making enough profits to pay off that investment in short order.

1. and 2. What do you think I've been saying? I don't like this deal. $3.2 billion for hardware just to get the streaming service is not in Apple's dna. Selling Beats hardware is not in Apple's dna. This whole deal is not in Apple's dna. Spending $3.2 billion is not in Apple's dna. The whole thing just seems wrong imo.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #38 of 102
Quote:

1. and 2. What do you think I've been saying? I don't like this deal. $3.2 billion for hardware just to get the streaming service is not in Apple's dna. Selling Beats hardware is not in Apple's dna. This whole deal is not in Apple's dna. Spending $3.2 billion is not in Apple's dna. The whole thing just seems wrong imo.

But you assuming it's just to get a streaming service, which Apple already has. It's the music rental service which Apple doesn't have, but that's 1) been their choice, and 2) there is no evidence to suggest the licenses carry over.

I respect your position in saying that Beats' reportedly profitable and dominate HW is not in Apple's DNA but your assertion that this deal is only for a streaming service which they have — and nothing else — doesn't make sense. Of course if doesn't look like a viable deal if you strip away the HW, the executives, the talent, the humanized algorithm, and everything else just to look at a streaming service they bought from MOG for $10 million a year ago.

You need to ask, "If Apple is truly considered buying Beats for the stated price what would they be seeing that I'm not seeing?"

post #39 of 102

With any luck, it will get right off the calendar completely.

post #40 of 102
Quote:

But you assuming it's just to get a streaming service, which Apple already has. It's the music rental service which Apple doesn't have, but that's 1) been their choice, and 2) there is no evidence to suggest the licenses carry over.

I respect your position in saying that Beats' reportedly profitable and dominate HW is not in Apple's DNA but your assertion that this deal is only for a streaming service which they have — and nothing else — doesn't make sense. Of course if doesn't look like a viable deal if you strip away the HW, the executives, the talent, the humanized algorithm, and everything else just to look at a streaming service they bought from MOG for $10 million a year ago.

You need to ask, "If Apple is truly considered buying Beats for the stated price what would they be seeing that I'm not seeing?"

Well, I, for one, don't have to ask that question because I think the whole thing is bullshit. If it isn't bullshit, then, imo, Cook needs to get his head examined.

If there is something that we are not seeing then it is something that Beats has never ever divulged to the public... imo... and we can make up anything at this point. Transporter? Mind reading device that fits in an iPhone? Invisibility cloak?

[ re: 1. MOG - as I mentioned before, I think that Apple was late to the party on that one. 2. Has Apple only bought  companies with software/services that Apple doesn't already have in one form or another? ]

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's rumored Beats acquisition reportedly pushed back one week