or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's rumored Beats acquisition reportedly pushed back one week

Apple's rumored Beats acquisition reportedly pushed back one week - Page 3

post #81 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"Humanized algorithm that Apple couldn't reasonably recreate"

That is the only thing in your list that I have not touched upon.

Is it worth $3.2 billion? That is the question.

At least you finally found one angle that I hadn't mentioned. It took a while for you to answer the question.

That was what I had asked you to do after all.

Not just the algorithm (and not just for Iovine!) Apple can do an algorithm. It's all about music curation, by people who know music, and who have been working on the curation for over a year, with a dedicated staff of at least 50 engineers (algorithm?), and at least 100 music curators, managed by Iovine, Dre, and Trent (got info from the All Things D interview). This does not seem like something that can be easily reproduced by anyone else. This is why I think that buying beats would be a smart move, and a practical move, and why I've done a 180 on my initial, relexive opinion on this rumor. I think it's a little premature to think that Apple is making its first flippant purchase in its history.

post #82 of 102
Quote:

It's an expression, damnit. Get over it.

Right, but the expression is used to indicate someone is making an idiotic decision even if the cause isn't the result of an actual head injury.

I still contend that 'we' neither are in a position to make such an absolute determination given our limited scope compared to Apple's on this matter nor should we presume Apple will not make a thoughtful decision for a potential acquisition given their history.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #83 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There's no such thing as free music. Somewhere along the line, a musician has to be paid for the music they compose. If you want great music to be created, streaming is not the answer. As things stand, the music industry is looking into the abyss, thanks to Spotify and Youtube.

All the more reason for Apple to do this! ;)

Apple is once again in a position to save the music industry from themselves. Previously it was by providing a viable legal alternative to illegally downloading songs for free. Now it's going to be providing a service that is compelling and engaging enough to perpetuate the iTunes ecosystem (which rewards artists), thus providing a viable alternative to streaming the songs for free.

post #84 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Quote:

There's no such thing as free music. Somewhere along the line, a musician has to be paid for the music they compose. If you want great music to be created, streaming is not the answer. As things stand, the music industry is looking into the abyss, thanks to Spotify and Youtube.

All the more reason for Apple to do this! ;)

Apple is once again in a position to save the music industry from themselves. Previously it was by providing a viable legal alternative to illegally downloading songs for free. Now it's going to be providing a service that is compelling and engaging enough to perpetuate the iTunes ecosystem (which rewards artists), thus providing a viable alternative to streaming the songs for free.

Let's hope you're right.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #85 of 102
Quote:

Not just the algorithm (and not just for Iovine!) Apple can do an algorithm. It's all about music curation, by people who know music, and who have been working on the curation for over a year, with a dedicated staff of at least 50 engineers (algorithm?), and at least 100 music curators, managed by Iovine, Dre, and Trent (got info from the All Things D interview). This does not seem like something that can be easily reproduced by anyone else. This is why I think that buying beats would be a smart move, and a practical move, and why I've done a 180 on my initial, relexive opinion on this rumor. I think it's a little premature to think that Apple is making its first flippant purchase in its history.

Everything that you said makes a lot of sense... and I get that. If it was just for the music and the streaming etc. I get that. For close to a $ billion I still get that. I still cannot wrap my head around Apple getting involved with headphones, though, which, I think, makes the deal so expensive and therefore nonsensical.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #86 of 102
Quote:

Quote:

Everything that you said makes a lot of sense... and I get that. If it was just for the music and the streaming etc. I get that. For close to a $ billion I still get that. I still cannot wrap my head around Apple getting involved with headphones, though, which, I think, makes the deal so expensive and therefore nonsensical.

I don't see curation as being that big of a deal, either. Curation will always be hit and miss, no matter how human or clever it is.

I would love to see Apple introduce a combined subscription/download system, whereby you can listen to anything you like and also download a certain number of tracks to keep forever. That, I feel, has the potential to revitalise the iTunes Store.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #87 of 102
Quote:

I don't see curation as being that big of a deal, either. Curation will always be hit and miss, no matter how human or clever it is.

I would love to see Apple introduce a combined subscription/download system, whereby you can listen to anything you like and also download a certain number of tracks to keep forever. That, I feel, has the potential to revitalise the iTunes Store.
The concept is intriguing and surely it will need constantly tweaking but I'd like to see something scientific that gives a better indication as to how good Beats' system is.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/15/14 at 11:47am

post #88 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

The concept is intriguing and surely it will need constantly tweaking but I'd like to see something scientific that gives a better indication as to how good Beats' system is.

You never will! Music curation is intrinsically subjective: one man's bliss is another man's horror. It's all slightly curious; everyone assumes that we want to listen to things that go well together, which is fine until we don't.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #89 of 102
Quote:

I wouldn't be suprised if Apple sells off the hardware aspect after the deal goes through (assuming it does). That said, Iovine makes a pretty compelling point when defending the headphones, saying (agian from the All Things D interview) that he focuses on the how the music "feels" when you listen to it, and is more focused on feeling and reporducing the sensation of live music than on precicely reproducing sound. He goes on to add that he and Dre have a lot of practical experience with music production and consumption, making dundreds of albums in various genres, which he feels gives him an edge over companies that focus on technical qualities (e.g. Bose). Apple could very well continue the Beats line in one form or another, which would appeal to the majority of music comsumers (including me, from what he said); this doesn't preclude Apple from releasing other headphones geared towards audiophiles.

Quote:

There's defintiely some truth to what you are saying. However, the same could be said of artificial intelligence, yet Apple is moving full steam ahead with Siri.

Hopefully Beats curation lives up to its claims (it seems pretty good so far to me). It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out.

post #90 of 102
Apple is known for good taste and sophistication on its products, software and image, I find it hard to believe the incorporation of this sub product and even if the interest on the "streaming" part of this company's portfolio I can't justify the money to be spend here, maybe is time to reconsider this rumor or not rumor …and by the way , those clunky , huge headphones are absolutely horrendous ! I would not wear them even if I would b 12 years old , a total fashion faux pas. ! 1rolleyes.gif
post #91 of 102
Quote:

You never will! Music curation is intrinsically subjective: one man's bliss is another man's horror. It's all slightly curious; everyone assumes that we want to listen to things that go well together, which is fine until we don't.

Sure, but there is still science behind it and even something subjective can have hardened points. For instance, tail a MBP and a comparable notebook of your choice from another manufacturer. The end decision will be a person preference but there are things he can clearly denote that leads us to our decisions. Often with Apple's customer there are features that are very difficult to quantify as they can't fit on a spec sheet but we are still able to note their existence even if it requires more than succinct bullet point. I think the same could be had for comparing two or more music services' algorithms using the same starting point, multiple and varied tests, and multiple testers.

post #92 of 102

Does anyone know much (or anything, actually) about Rdio?

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #93 of 102
Quote:

Does anyone know much (or anything, actually) about Rdio?

Yep. It's missing an 'a.'

Happy to be of service.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #94 of 102
Quote:

Happy to be of service.

Thank you for the informative reply.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #95 of 102
Quote:

Quote:

Happy to be of service.

Thank you for the informative reply.

Pleasure!
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #96 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I, and numerous other people and websites, have spent the last week detailing multiple advantages for buying Beats based on the available information as its come up. I've done it in this thread. You're the one that is failing to even consider the possibility.

You don't have to think it's probable but if there is an iota of chance the scientific mind will not automatically disregard it as impossible.

Who cares? Really? A music servic 5 months old with that little subscribership?
Looks like something Steve promised one of his friends. In the unwritten will- I wouldn't be surprised.
That is if it happens.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
post #97 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Who cares? Really? A music servic 5 months old with that little subscribership?
Looks like something Steve promised one of his friends. In the unwritten will- I wouldn't be surprised.
That is if it happens.

How many subs do you think Pandora, or Spotify had 5 months in? I'd bet it was less than that.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #98 of 102
Quote:

Just as they do with movies now.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #99 of 102
This is classic. Push out a rumor, find out it's way false but to drag it out have rumors that it's delayed, pushed back etc. Then in no couple of weeks when folks patience is running out, announce that Bests and Apple couldn't come to an agreement and the deal is off.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #100 of 102
iPod by Dre.

Just sayin'.
post #101 of 102
Originally Posted by mutualcore View Post
iPod by Dre.

I would honestly prefer iPod by HP.

post #102 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutualcore View Post

iPod by Dre.

Just sayin'.

More like Dopi by Der.

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's rumored Beats acquisition reportedly pushed back one week