or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › China's Xiaomi unveils copycat 'Mi Pad' in bid to take on Apple's iPad

China's Xiaomi unveils copycat 'Mi Pad' in bid to take on Apple's iPad

post #1 of 85
Apple's dominance in the tablet market with the iPad will be challenged by a new competitor in Xiaomi, a Chinese smartphone maker that plans to take on the iPad with a nearly identical look and a product name that simply adds one letter and a space to Apple's trademarked name.

Xiaomi on Thursday introduced the Mi Pad, sporting a 7.9-inch display that is the same size as Apple's iPad mini. The new Mi Pad will come in a total of six colors and capacities of 16 or 64 gigabytes, while carrying a starting price of 1,499 yuan, or $240 U.S., undercutting Apple.

The product essentially looks like a plastic iPad mini with more color options, even packing in an identical screen resolution of 2,048 by 1,536. It also runs a heavily version of Google's Android operating system dubbed "MIUI" that looks strikingly like Apple's iOS 7.

Xiaomi founder Lei Jun even openly talked about the iPad in remarks following the unveiling, saying the goal was to create hardware that "could come close to, or even surpass" Apple's offerings, according to Reuters.

The Mi Pad will also be powered by Nvidia's new K1 mobile processor clocked at 2.2 gigahertz, with storage expansion options available via MicroSD.

With more than 1 billion people in China, Chinese smartphone vendors have been carving out a growing share of the total worldwide market. Those companies include Xiaomi, Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, and Yulong.

While Xiamoi's product name and its look are clearly inspired by Apple's iPad, the company's business model will be different, as the company plans to profit off of services rather than the sale of hardware.

Xiaomi's current sales are largely based in China, but the company has signaled it plans to expand into India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Malaysia.
post #2 of 85
Apple lawsuit in 3, 2, 1.
post #3 of 85
why did they bother with the 'M'?

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

post #4 of 85
MIUI has been around for years as a custom Android ROM, and since it's inception has mimicked the look and feel of iOS. This Mi Pad could very well end up being highly popular in China. It's sad that people don't use their talents to create something original
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #5 of 85

China copies everything else, so was just a matter of time before this happened.  Wonder if Apple will even try to do anything about it.  They do have clout in China, so maybe they can stop this but that could be a tough battle. 

post #6 of 85
O Oooh!

Wonder what Android Version "MIUI" is built upon. Or is this "MIUI" a Google creation???
This didn't clearly come thru. At least not to me....
post #7 of 85
The slipped up naming the iOS, it should have been MiOS! The company should be Mapple. Next they will have laptops running MOSX.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

O Oooh!

Wonder what Android Version "MIUI" is built upon. Or is this "MIUI" a Google creation???
It's a modified android variant with all the Google play parts taken out. It is upto v5 which is based upon android 4.3.x. thus it's not a Google creation
post #9 of 85
Damn... Even the commercial reminds me of the coloured iPod days..
post #10 of 85
Well so I see they have chosen to follow in the footsteps of Samsung.
post #11 of 85

Can't believe there are too many coincidences in this world, even on the product shots!

post #12 of 85

Apparently Xiaomi purchased all the copy machines from Samsung

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #13 of 85

So ... take the colors from the iPhone 5C, splash them onto a clone of the iPad Mini with a skin that looks like iOS 7 and ... profit?

I wonder if they'll try to sell this outside China.

post #14 of 85

Gotta love the Chinese creativity, whilst they claim there is no IP issues in China. 

post #15 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Well so I see they have chosen to follow in the footsteps of Samsung.

Why not? It worked and the legal repercussions for copying turned to be a joke.

post #16 of 85
So basically an iPad mini with iPhone 5C styling. Wow those Chinese companies really have no shame. 1oyvey.gif
post #17 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically an iPad mini with iPhone 5C styling. Wow those Chinese companies really have no shame. 1oyvey.gif

Nope no shame when they stand to earn billions and retire with a few luxury yatch's, a few ferrari's and giant homes and not to mention hot Chinese girls all around them. 1smile.gif.
post #18 of 85
wait, Samsung "copied" the iPad, now the chinese copy Samsung's "copy" of the iPad... LOL

... on the other hand if it is not a copy of the performance of the iPad Air, this chinese copy is dead...
post #19 of 85
Quote:

O Oooh!

MIUI was created by Chinese devs. As Android gets updated so does MIUI.
post #20 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

MIUI has been around for years as a custom Android ROM, and since it's inception has mimicked the look and feel of iOS. This Mi Pad could very well end up being highly popular in China. It's sad that people don't use their talents to create something original

well, Samsung was fined for a mere $100 million, now everyone would just wait for Apple's lead and just copy it all. It just makes sense. Essentially they are outsource the design to Apple without paying a dime. Isn't that the best business decision ever invented? Shame to the jury for not imposing a punitive damage reward to Apple and shame to those companies for ... I don't know.
post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

So ... take the colors from the iPhone 5C, splash them onto a clone of the iPad Mini with a skin that looks like iOS 7 and ... profit?

I wonder if they'll try to sell this outside China.

Did you not read the last paragraph?

Quote:
Xiaomi's current sales are largely based in China, but the company has signaled it plans to expand into India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Malaysia.
post #22 of 85

Unbelievable. And shameful.

You'd think that these fools would know better.

post #23 of 85
Quote:

"Sad"? Really? That's your sentiment?

post #24 of 85
Why is the founder still keeping his name? He should change his name to MSTEVE JOBS
post #25 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Damn... Even the commercial reminds me of the coloured iPod days..

Did Apple ever use a soundtrack that ugly and abrasive?

Also, the little girl in the pink princess/ballerina costume is wretched. I fear for China's sanity as it "Westernizes."
post #26 of 85
The mainland Chinese have no shame when it comes to theft of intellectual property. It shows how primitive their culture is. The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Sad"? Really? That's your sentiment?

Yes that's my sentiment at people not using their talents to create something original. The Chinese copy many more companies than Apple. Go into any toy store and you'll see copies of Nerf, Lego, and countless other manufacturers. All in all it's outrageous, and utterly shameful.
post #28 of 85

No surprise there, China has been doing this for long. Lets all remember China does not believe is ownership any any ideas, everything is owned by everyone for the common good. The only thing Apple maybe able to do in this case is reach out to its government friends and limit what this companies does and make sure they do not export it. 

The only thing Apple has going for itself in China is the fact Chinese do like buying US brands, they see more value and quality in non-Chinese brands. Yeah this company will sell some in China but the people who like the status of Apple will buy Apple not a knockoff.

post #29 of 85
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a fifty cent pin-on badge that says "I am a cheap-ass d!ckhead that has no understanding of quality"?
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #30 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.

Don't fool yourself, my friend.

The 'upper class' are just as bad.

And who do you think OWNS the factories that make this rubbish?
post #31 of 85

Every country and company copies in one for or another from others.  Even in history countries copy from each other.  Its life.  And even great big companies who are famous or top notch these days have copied or broken laws to get ahead until they reach a point in which they have either their own moats or power or some advantage to be able to grow thereafter and not have to copy anymore.  In this case for a Chinese company to imitate by doing this is unfortunate but they are doing what they can to get ahead just like how other companies have done in the past also.  As they say don't hate the player hate the game.  And in this game it is not able to be controlled properly as it should so people and companies who think and can will get away with it.  So in the end you have to just move on move fast and move on to the next thing or quit the game. Good luck to all .

post #32 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The mainland Chinese have no shame when it comes to theft of intellectual property. It shows how primitive their culture is. The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.
Chinese culture is primitive? Or are you mixing up attitudes to ip protection to cultural sophistication
post #33 of 85
Quote:

O Oooh!

Doesn't matter. The game is to include it in statistics that Google and IDC get to wave in everyone's face.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 85
Stupidly comes in an array of companies with 0% innovation. And some people think that Apple copied design from samsung. Hahaha😂
post #35 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_150 View Post

Can't believe there are too many coincidences in this world, even on the product shots!

Nuts! Even the marketing collateral is in the same style.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 85
Anyone else having problems viewing the comments in Safari? - Had to open chrome to see the comments...
post #37 of 85

I actually like the design/colors. I wish Apple would do something similar, especially with the iPad mini. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #38 of 85
Quote:

Yes that's my sentiment at people not using their talents to create something original. The Chinese copy many more companies than Apple. Go into any toy store and you'll see copies of Nerf, Lego, and countless other manufacturers. All in all it's outrageous, and utterly shameful.

It's theft, plain and simple, and should be recognized as such.

post #39 of 85
Maybe they found out that Apple is planning to make a plastic iPad mini with retina display? 1wink.gif
post #40 of 85
Why is Apple the designer for the world? It's sad that barely anyone else can be original. There should be punishment for thieves.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • China's Xiaomi unveils copycat 'Mi Pad' in bid to take on Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › China's Xiaomi unveils copycat 'Mi Pad' in bid to take on Apple's iPad