or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.3 with improved support for high-res 4K displays

Apple releases OS X 10.9.3 with improved support for high-res 4K displays

post #1 of 45
Apple on Thursday released OS X 10.9.3, a minor update for its Mavericks Mac operating system, bringing improved 4K display support for the latest Mac Pro and 15-inch MacBook Pro, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

OS X 10.9.3 is now available to download through the Mac App Store. Apple says the update is recommended for all Mac users, and that it improves the stability, compatibility and security of the operating system.

Other additions and changes in OS X 10.9.3 are:
  • The ability to sync contacts and calendars between a Mac and an iOS device using a USB connection
  • Improved reliability of VPN connections using IPsec
  • Safari 7.0.3 is also included

While the update introduces a "Retina" output mode for the late 2013 15-inch MacBook Pro, it does not grant the same ability to the 13-inch model. Apple's current Thunderbolt Display does not come with a 4K resolution, meaning the support is only available for third-party monitors.

OS X 10.9.3 had a particularly long beta period, with nine pre-release builds being provided to developers before Thursday's official launch to the public.

The launch of OS X 10.9.3 comes less than a month after Apple opened up its beta seed program to all users in exchange for "quality and usability feedback." The program allows anyone, not just Mac developers, to test pre-release versions of OS X.
post #2 of 45

Obligatory snappier comment.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #3 of 45
I presume this fixes that AirPlay mirroring problem?
post #4 of 45

Excellent; time to install it.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #5 of 45
Is this Build 13D61?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

I presume this fixes that AirPlay mirroring problem?

Not listed on the release notes. What problem are you talking about anyway? Just counting comments on the Apple discussion forums doesn’t mean there’s a real problem.

post #7 of 45

iTunes 11.2 also got released today, mostly with Podcast feature updates.

No problems with AirPlay Mirroring…love how people claim there is a problem, yet they cannot describe any problem.  Of course Mountain Lion is far more stable than Mavericks.

post #8 of 45

That would be nice. I actually had a reason to use it a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to work.

post #9 of 45
A new OS beta is around the corner (WWDC) so I guess this version will be short lived on my MBP
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not listed on the release notes. What problem are you talking about anyway? Just counting comments on the Apple discussion forums doesn’t mean there’s a real problem.

Audio doesn't work with Apple TV. Was it really necessary to be a smart @ss?

post #11 of 45

Can someone check if you can do 4k/60hz on Mac Pro over *hdmi* ? HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 are specs are identical hardware wise, so it´s only a matter of fixing the software. Would be nice with 4k/60hz over HDMI as most TVs dont come with mDP. 

post #12 of 45

HOOORAY!!!! Everything works for you! That's awesome. What a magical day. Congratulations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No problems with AirPlay Mirroring…love how people claim there is a problem, yet they cannot describe any problem.  Of course Mountain Lion is far more stable than Mavericks.

post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right!

post #14 of 45
It mentions Safari 7.0.3 - any indication that it includes the Javascript JIT upgrade that's in the WebKit nightly builds as of this week?
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Of course Mountain Lion is far more stable than Mavericks.

even after installing today's release of the OS X 10.9.3 update? 

could/would you please substantiate/detail in what way(s) Mountain Lion is [still] far more stable than Mavericks OS X 10.9.3?

post #16 of 45
I'm really looking forward to the Android version of Safari.
post #17 of 45

I'm referring to this problem:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/27/mac-owners-report-os-x-1092-update-breaks-airplay-functionality

Quote:

I was referring to this problem:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/27/mac-owners-report-os-x-1092-update-breaks-airplay-functionality

Figured if anyone follows this site regularly, they would have known which one.

Looking at the Apple discussion forum thread on the topic linked from the article above, it appears that the vast majority (if not all) of the people experiencing a mirroring problem with 10.9.2 had some kind of 3rd party mirroring application also installed (ex: AirDisplay).

post #18 of 45

947MB Combo updater available right here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1746

post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is this Build 13D61?

No, it's 13D65.

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Update: looking at the Apple discussion forum thread on the topic linked from the article above, it appears that the vast majority (if not all) of the people experiencing a mirroring problem with 10.9.2 had some kind of 3rd party mirroring application also installed (ex: AirDisplay).

post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It always has for me, but I just realized I've been running 10.9.3 bets for a long time ...
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #22 of 45
With Macs that are capable In HW of pushing a 4K UHD @60Hz are coming up to a year and 10.9.3 now having official support for all these machines I hope we see an Apple-branded update to their ATD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

It mentions Safari 7.0.3 - any indication that it includes the Javascript JIT upgrade that's in the WebKit nightly builds as of this week?

I think that is too new. I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't arrive immediately with whatever version of Safari is in the next major update to Mac OS X.

post #23 of 45
Quote:

Is this Build 13D61?

That;s the one I am on now, I'm about to run update.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm really looking forward to the Android version of Safari.
Let me guess, it will be called 'Safary'....
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You forgot the ™ symbol after the word Snappier™.
post #26 of 45
Quote:

Yes it does. I tend to confront people who make blanket statements as if ‘their’ issue is pandemic and Apple’s fault. Like your blanket statement that “audio doesn’t work with Apple TV.” Not true at all, except for you maybe. Why not just say, “It doesn’t work for me, I have no idea what’s going on and I can’t fix it myself so I’m going to blame Apple.”

Edited by lkrupp - 5/15/14 at 12:43pm
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

Update: looking at the Apple discussion forum thread on the topic linked from the article above, it appears that the vast majority (if not all) of the people experiencing a mirroring problem with 10.9.2 had some kind of 3rd party mirroring application also installed (ex: AirDisplay).

So does that still mean it’s Apple fault? How many times over the decades have issues like this been traced to third party hacks? Third party hacks that purport to ‘fix’ or ‘enhance’ the way Apple features work are almost always at the bottom of this stuff. But the knee jerk reaction is to blame Apple. Steve is dead, Apple’s QA has gone to the dogs, don’t they test this stuff, etc. And of course the wacky presumption that Apple MUST ensure that its software works with every single piece of third party crap out there, no matter how old it is, no matter if  it hasn’t been updated in years, it’s supposed to just work with every new OS X release. 

Sorry, this is a big soap box issue with me.

post #28 of 45
Quote:

Have you tried sudo killall coreaudiod?

post #29 of 45
Quote:

I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't arrive immediately with whatever version of Safari is in the next major update to Mac OS X.

Then it would be just in time. (sorry, even though I'm very tired I'm in for a laugh right now)
post #30 of 45
Be warned: It breaks support for using three 30" monitors on Mac Pro. Only two work. Unplugging and plugging them back in again, still only the first two plugged in work. Restart doesn't help. I have already found one other person who encountered the same problem.
post #31 of 45
Quote:

Mavericks is pretty stable. I'm sure you said the same of lion when mountain lion came out. It's stable. If it's not for you, restore
post #32 of 45

for those who didn't update it yet....DON"T DO IT!!!! Your USER'S FILE will hide after restarting computer.

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

for those who didn't update it yet....DON"T DO IT!!!! Your USER'S FILE will hide after restarting computer.

1) Nice find.

2) Slow your roll. In Terminal:
Code:
sudo chflags nohidden /Users

3) I'm not sure why this is cause for keeping everyone from updating. It's not removing any access to your ~/ folder, just hiding the /Users folder in Finder but all your Sidebar links work fine.

PS: This can also be used for unhiding your /Library folder
Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

What do you mean?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What do you mean?

post #36 of 45

Has anybody tried connecting a 4K display to a late 2012 Retina MBP with 10.9.3?  some 4k displays work when connected to it, but do any scaling options appear with 10.9.3?

post #37 of 45
Quote:

HOOORAY!!!! Everything works for you! That's awesome. What a magical day. Congratulations!

Wow, you have no sense of humor! Congratulations.
post #38 of 45
Latest reports confirm the User folder on the root level disappears for many users after installing 10.9.3. Read about it on Macworld. Not to be confused with Apple's dumb idea to hide the user's Library folder since Lion, now the entire User folder goes missing.
post #39 of 45
Quote:

1) Nice find.

2) Slow your roll. In Terminal:
Code:
sudo chflags nohidden /Users

3) I'm not sure why this is cause for keeping everyone from updating. It's not removing any access to your ~/ folder, just hiding the /Users folder in Finder but all your Sidebar links work fine.

PS: This can also be used for unhiding your /Library folder
Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

That terminal hack doesn't work. Restart your Mac and the User folder will disappear once again. Chris Breen at Macworld confirmed it.
post #40 of 45

Big omission: still no scanner sharing.

(Apparently being a client to a scanner shared by another machine still seems supported).

Is there any particular technical reason why scanner sharing disappeared from OSX?

Does Apple really want us to buy OSX Server? Doesn't seem warranted in a household with 2-3 Macs.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.3 with improved support for high-res 4K displays