or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 11.2 released for Mac, Windows with improved podcast browsing [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iTunes 11.2 released for Mac, Windows with improved podcast browsing [u]

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Apple's iTunes media suite was updated on Thursday with improvements for browsing the Podcasts section of the software, allowing users to more quickly find episodes they haven't listened to [update: a corresponding update for the iOS Podcasts app is also available].

iTunes


With iTunes 11.2, the application gains a new "Unplayed" tab in the Podcast section, listing content that a user has not listened to yet. The update also includes the ability to browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the "Feed" tab.

Further improvements for podcast listeners include the ability to automatically delete episodes once they have been listened to. Users an also save their favorite episodes so they can ensure they are saved on their computer.

Update: Apple on Thursday also updated Podcasts for iOS to version 2.1. The update adds improved browsing, Siri support, CarPlay compatibility, and the ability to share links with AirDrop.

The iTunes update also addresses an issue where iTunes might become unresponsive when updating recommended songs through Genius. It also is said to improve overall performance and stability, while Apple recommends that users have Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later for syncing podcast episodes.

iTunes 11.2 is a free update available for both Mac and Windows PCs. It can be updated on OS X through the Mac App Store, while direct downloads are available from Apple's website.
post #2 of 29

I love podcasts so this is a welcome improvement for me. I still carry around my iPod Nano in part because Apple hasn't done enough with the podcast app on iOS and to cover those few small features that I am hoping Apple will add in a future iPhone.

 

I wish someone could get Apple to enable FM radio on the iPhone. Us gym rats don't always go to gyms where the television feeds are piped to the individual treadmill/cycles/etc. My Nano is basically used for podcasts, pedometer and FM radio. I know two out of these three could be fixed with an improved app and a phone upgrade (I'm on the 5.) However I still have the need for FM radio occasionally. It might even help in those other countries that Apple is trying to get more marketshare in like India.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #3 of 29
Wish they'd improve the streaming radio interface. Might be nice to have a radio-like scrubbing feature.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 29

Anyone else long for the old days of using iTunes where you knew where every function was and it was fast and easy to navigate? It is becoming far too big and bloated now and I think Apple could do a far better job with the GUI navigation for all the functions. I understand the need for all the new stuff since in addition to music it now has to also manage videos as well as serve as a sync/backup app for your iOS devices. I just wonder if there isn't a better way to do this even it meant breaking it up into two separate applications. 

post #5 of 29

Still waiting for larger cover art view, the mini player is much too small.  I don't understand why they took that away.  (yes, I periodically request that feature in the appropriate form)

post #6 of 29
But is it Snappier™?
post #7 of 29
Hopefully, this addressed some of the issues it has with AirPlay. Also, I would love to be able to stream iTunes Radio through a web browser. I can't have iTunes on my work computer and therefore can't use it at work.
post #8 of 29
I gave up on the Apple Podcast App and started using Downcast. It's a whole lot better and it syncs in the cloud between devices as well. I doubt I'd go back to Apple's app.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post

Still waiting for larger cover art view, the mini player is much too small.  I don't understand why they took that away.  (yes, I periodically request that feature in the appropriate form)
Command click the artwork in the LCD window at top.
post #10 of 29
1) I hope iTunes doesn't freeze on videos when using Home Sharing. This popped up with 11.1.

2) I hope we will get an iTunes portal on iCloud.com soon. Besides iTunes Match and of course all purchases it would be nice id iTunes on my Mac isn't the only place to alter and clean up my music. I'd like this feature to come to iOS but that shouldn't be the only other option. I think Tunes in iCloud along with using Apple's iCloud document saving/syncing for saving your iTunes DB — I think that was @PhilBoogie idea — would be very helpful in getting rid of the Mac as the media hub.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that wasPhilBoogie idea

I did mention that here:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179528/apple-remains-mum-as-complaints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures/40#post_2533539

(OT) I also want a new version of Aperture to have this ability as well: edit on the go: use an iOS device to make changes to photos and have those reflect on your Masters after synching. See my sig.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiotube View Post

I gave up on the Apple Podcast App and started using Downcast. It's a whole lot better and it syncs in the cloud between devices as well. I doubt I'd go back to Apple's app.

 

Don't bother. Their app is complete shit, always has been, always will be. Nothing beats Downcast, Apple will never make an app that's decent much less better.

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post



Command click the artwork in the LCD window at top.

 



Thank you!
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post
 

I love podcasts so this is a welcome improvement for me. I still carry around my iPod Nano in part because Apple hasn't done enough with the podcast app on iOS and to cover those few small features that I am hoping Apple will add in a future iPhone.

 

I wish someone could get Apple to enable FM radio on the iPhone. Us gym rats don't always go to gyms where the television feeds are piped to the individual treadmill/cycles/etc. My Nano is basically used for podcasts, pedometer and FM radio. I know two out of these three could be fixed with an improved app and a phone upgrade (I'm on the 5.) However I still have the need for FM radio occasionally. It might even help in those other countries that Apple is trying to get more marketshare in like India.

 

Right, because nothing spells lost advertising revenue for a streaming service like a public FM Radio broadcast.

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post
 

 

Don't bother. Their app is complete shit, always has been, always will be. Nothing beats Downcast, Apple will never make an app that's decent much less better.

 

Do folks like you not have a fucking clue that Apple provides the heavy lifting frameworks, so that a 3rd party ecosystem can flourish? If Apple produced best-of-breed for all your whining who needs a 3rd party ecosystem?

 

Downcast doesn't do shit for the backend that Apple doesn't provide APIs to leverage. How else do you think a guy working for the NC General State Assembly the past 18+ years develops this product?

 

Write your own goddamn app and tailor it to your fantastical desires. The guy who wrote Downcast did.

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post
 

I love podcasts so this is a welcome improvement for me. I still carry around my iPod Nano in part because Apple hasn't done enough with the podcast app on iOS and to cover those few small features that I am hoping Apple will add in a future iPhone.

 

I wish someone could get Apple to enable FM radio on the iPhone. Us gym rats don't always go to gyms where the television feeds are piped to the individual treadmill/cycles/etc. My Nano is basically used for podcasts, pedometer and FM radio. I know two out of these three could be fixed with an improved app and a phone upgrade (I'm on the 5.) However I still have the need for FM radio occasionally. It might even help in those other countries that Apple is trying to get more marketshare in like India.

 

Right, because nothing spells lost advertising revenue for a streaming service like a public FM Radio broadcast.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post
 

 

Don't bother. Their app is complete shit, always has been, always will be. Nothing beats Downcast, Apple will never make an app that's decent much less better.

 

Do folks like you not have a fucking clue that Apple provides the heavy lifting frameworks, so that a 3rd party ecosystem can flourish? If Apple produced best-of-breed for all your whining who needs a 3rd party ecosystem?

 

Downcast doesn't do shit for the backend that Apple doesn't provide APIs to leverage. How else do you think a guy working for the NC General State Assembly the past 18+ years develops this product?

 

Write your own goddamn app and tailor it to your fantastical desires. The guy who wrote Downcast did.

 

You literally are talking out both sides of your mouth with these two posts. In one Apple must persue revenue even at the cost of something as basic as losing a small bit of streaming revenue for gaining a good feature. In the other Apple has to let third parties flourish or else they won't sell iPhones due to lack of apps.

 

It works both ways. Apple could also allow tagging and purchasing of songs through FM radio just like they do now with the Nano. You tag it and when you sync back to iTunes it makes it easier to buy the song outright. Pandora had $162 million or revenue and largely continues to lose money. Apple generates almost $5 billion in revenue from iTunes. iTunes streaming is available and uses data. When it isn't available or you don't have enough to stream, use FM radio and tag your favorite songs to purchase for $0.99-$1.29 when around wifi or you have enough cellular data.

 

See, win-win, just like first and third party apps. Apple isn't going to stream sporting events, talk radio, FM morning shows and plenty of other things that are on FM. Yet they can provide a feature and still have a revenue source. It is no different than with the Nano.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #17 of 29
Does the update fix the (broken) loading of large iTunes XML Libraries onto iOS 7.1 devices (which is commented about all over the place and on Apple Support/Discussions)? My iPad Air can never connect to my Shared Library as the data file never finishes loading. A bummer when music is such an important part of my consciousness. Since updating their iDevices to 7.1 no one in my household can access my iTunes Library. Big fail, Apple.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Anyone else long for the old days of using iTunes where you knew where every function was and it was fast and easy to navigate? It is becoming far too big and bloated now and I think Apple could do a far better job with the GUI navigation for all the functions. I understand the need for all the new stuff since in addition to music it now has to also manage videos as well as serve as a sync/backup app for your iOS devices. I just wonder if there isn't a better way to do this even it meant breaking it up into two separate applications. 
No... It's perfectly simple. It's not hard at all
post #19 of 29

One function I'd like back is the ability to add cover art from my pictures folder (by drag and drop). At the moment the only way to add cover art seems to be if it is on the iTunes store. 

 

Am I missing something? — does anyone know how to do this, if I am wrong and it can be done?

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Does the update fix the (broken) loading of large iTunes XML Libraries onto iOS 7.1 devices (which is commented about all over the place and on Apple Support/Discussions)?
iTunes does not use the .xml file.
It is created for other apps to use iTunes.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

iTunes does not use the .xml file.
It is created for other apps to use iTunes.

The iTunes Library.xml file isn't used by the iTunes app to load all all your items with their metadata?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Does the update fix the (broken) loading of large iTunes XML Libraries onto iOS 7.1 devices (which is commented about all over the place and on Apple Support/Discussions)? My iPad Air can never connect to my Shared Library as the data file never finishes loading. A bummer when music is such an important part of my consciousness. Since updating their iDevices to 7.1 no one in my household can access my iTunes Library. Big fail, Apple.

It times out at my end as well. But it works fine with the Remote app see this post:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179528/apple-remains-mum-as-complaints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures/40#post_2533539
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

iTunes does not use the .xml file.
It is created for other apps to use iTunes.

The iTunes Library.xml file isn't used by the iTunes app to load all all your items with their metadata?

I believe Chris_CA is right; the .xml is used by various iLife apps and iTunes to iTunes (phone, other Mac etc) is uses the .itl file:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1660
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #23 of 29
Bah new Podcasts app for iOS crashes after around 10 seconds, every time.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The iTunes Library.xml file isn't used by the iTunes app to load all all your items with their metadata?

No,

The iTunes library.itl file is used by iTunes. It is a proprietary, encrypted database file.

The .xml is created by iTunes for all other apps to access the library.

Quit iTunes, delete the iTunes library.xml, restart iTunes and the .xml will be immediately reconstituted.

post #25 of 29

All I want to be able to do is press "play" on iTunes and have it play back all of my podcasts in the order they were broadcast. (This is pretty normal, right? Who wants to hear the latest episode when there are older ones still unplayed?) But this Unplayed feature is locked into reverse chronological order. It would be perfect for my purpose if it only allowed users to display them in what I think of as a much more intuitive, chronological arrangement. As it is, I have to make my own smart playlist to accomplish this. I can reorder everything else in iTunes with the press of a button, why isn't this feature available for podcasts, which are some of the most time-sensitive content iTunes publishes? Until it is, my verdict on the update is so close, but no cigar.

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter1910 View Post

All I want to be able to do is press "play" on iTunes and have it play back all of my podcasts in the order they were broadcast. (This is pretty normal, right? Who wants to hear the latest episode when there are older ones still unplayed?) But this Unplayed feature is locked into reverse chronological order. It would be perfect for my purpose if it only allowed users to display them in what I think of as a much more intuitive, chronological arrangement. As it is, I have to make my own smart playlist to accomplish this. I can reorder everything else in iTunes with the press of a button, why isn't this feature available for podcasts, which are some of the most time-sensitive content iTunes publishes? Until it is, my verdict on the update is so close, but no cigar.


Can't you just create a Smart Playlist and that will do this since you're only talking about using it with iTunes?


edit: Mea culpa. I see you mention that. So isn't that good enough for this since that's the only way to get it to play one after another? BTW, you can reorder them by date from oldest to newest with the List View, just like with Music, TV Shows and Movies, but you also get every Podcast you might have unless you start a search to limit the selection, which is why a Playlist is the best method, right?
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/17/14 at 1:12pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #27 of 29

Yeah, I've made the smart playlist, which works fine, but now that "Unplayed" is available, I feel like my playlist should be moot. I'm just bewildered that Apple introduced a potentially very useful feature but failed to implement it in a way that would actually be helpful to real end-users. 

post #28 of 29

Well I am happy to report that with 11.2.1 (likely the former as well) that podcast syncing between iPods and iPhones has finally been fixed to my satisfaction. I know I'm not at all a typical podcast listener (IMHO) because I listen across multiple devices while I suppose most people have just moved on to their iPhones by now. Depending upon the features available in the new iPhone, I might finally join that group but for now I am happy that the prior means of syncing has been fixed and also patched to update location on currently played podcast with my iPhone.

 

I'd love to see the following improvements which would work with current products that need iTunes and in preparation for an iWatch.

 

- Bluetooth 4.0 syncing of Podcasts played and location with regard to how much of current podcast has been played. Carry this over to playlists and songs. This would also work well with say... a watch.

- Revamped icons and wallpapers.

- An icon to quickly deal with bluetooth syncing and sharing.

- A revised and improved fitness app for iPod and improved means of dealing with workouts within iTunes also in anticipation of an iWatch.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #29 of 29

We are now up to 11.2.2 and I am still getting a crash in iTunes every couple days that didn't used to happen before. Hope Apple squashes the bugs soon.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 11.2 released for Mac, Windows with improved podcast browsing [u]