or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Adobe ID failure takes Creative Cloud down for nearly 24 hours
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe ID failure takes Creative Cloud down for nearly 24 hours - Page 2

post #41 of 52
So much nonsense being posted on here,

The server being down didn't result in any installed application not running. Those few who use type kit may have been without their type kit fonts for the period,

You do not need to be connected to anything to run adobe CC.

Dreamweaver CC might be an unstable, hideous mess of software, but the cloud not being there made no difference to the functioning and day to day running of any applications,

As long as the software talks to the servers once every two months or so, there is no issue, so 24 hours of down time (much less than I've experienced with apple's servers over the last year) makes no difference,

A lot of misinformation in this thread,
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So if I decided to "upgrade" to CC, instead of sticking with CS6, I would have been completely fucked. I had like 10 deadlines yesterday and would have not been able to do any work- would have royally pissed off clients, and would have alot of explaining and apologizing to do. **** Adobe and their internet subscription model. 

No, you would not. Everything would have run as normal, with a message at launch just letting you know that he software was unable to connect to the server.

You would have been able to work just fine, just as all my colleagues were.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

So much nonsense being posted on here,

The server being down didn't result in any installed application not running. Those few who use type kit may have been without their type kit fonts for the period,

You do not need to be connected to anything to run adobe CC.

Dreamweaver CC might be an unstable, hideous mess of software, but the cloud not being there made no difference to the functioning and day to day running of any applications,

As long as the software talks to the servers once every two months or so, there is no issue, so 24 hours of down time (much less than I've experienced with apple's servers over the last year) makes no difference,

A lot of misinformation in this thread

Agreed.

I saw a message saying "cannot connect to Adobe servers" last night when I opened Illustrator.

I said to myself "oh that's weird" and then kept working.

There were probably some people who were affected by this outage more than others... but it clearly wasn't the end of the world.

Has something this big ever happened before in the last 2 years of Creative Cloud? I can't recall it if it has.

It seems like GMail has gone down a few times since then.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

So much nonsense being posted on here,

The server being down didn't result in any installed application not running. Those few who use type kit may have been without their type kit fonts for the period,

You do not need to be connected to anything to run adobe CC.

Dreamweaver CC might be an unstable, hideous mess of software, but the cloud not being there made no difference to the functioning and day to day running of any applications,

As long as the software talks to the servers once every two months or so, there is no issue, so 24 hours of down time (much less than I've experienced with apple's servers over the last year) makes no difference,

A lot of misinformation in this thread,

Sorry to say but you are a bit misinformed as well:

Users who already were signed in had no problems and could use there software

But... In these cases software would simply not start, no, not even in demo mode:
- First run after a fresh installation, new systen for example and new install of CC: not even demo mode if you were not once signed in before. This happened in our classroom situations;
- Users that were logged in but logged out (say log out from a desktop to log in on a second laptop) could not log back in again and software would not run at all, not even in demo mode. This last case was warned for by Adobe itself!

And:
- Publishers for iPad magazines (DPS) could not upload or publish (missed deadlines and loss of money);
- Bussiness Catalyst users could not maintain websites (angry clients!);
- Adobe Form Central was also down: no forms to evaluate, create etc.

So it was a huge problem that affected thousends and made a loss if lots of money.

If you were a small user that was logged in less than two months ago before the outage started: yes you could keep on using CC and did not have any problems, firms however and classrooms, oublishers were really f.....
post #45 of 52

Because an "always on" economy applies strictly to Adobe, right? And all of your other Internet services have been an uninterrupted paradise? Or again, is this just related to Adobe? (No, I don't work for them).

 

Why does one get the impression that those bib-dribbling and spoon-clanging "I will never pay for this stupid service!!!" are the same ones who endlessly complained about how Adobe is ripping them off "forcing" them to pay for a new stand-alone suite of products at $1300-$1500 or more every year and a half? But you'll easily threaten to move to Quark (oh, *do* have fun with that!) which will cost you how much?

 

Or this all because you can't steal, oh please excuse me, TORRENT copies of the software anymore?

post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveghel View Post


Sorry to say but you are a bit misinformed as well:

Users who already were signed in had no problems and could use there software

But... In these cases software would simply not start, no, not even in demo mode:
- First run after a fresh installation, new systen for example and new install of CC: not even demo mode if you were not once signed in before. This happened in our classroom situations;
- Users that were logged in but logged out (say log out from a desktop to log in on a second laptop) could not log back in again and software would not run at all, not even in demo mode. This last case was warned for by Adobe itself!

And:
- Publishers for iPad magazines (DPS) could not upload or publish (missed deadlines and loss of money);
- Bussiness Catalyst users could not maintain websites (angry clients!);
- Adobe Form Central was also down: no forms to evaluate, create etc.

So it was a huge problem that affected thousends and made a loss if lots of money.

If you were a small user that was logged in less than two months ago before the outage started: yes you could keep on using CC and did not have any problems, firms however and classrooms, oublishers were really f.....

 

 

Nope, not misinformed, nor a small user.  Our office of 20 seats started up their computers in the morning, all got the message about not being able to connect to the server, clicked through it and worked as normal. No issue.

 

I appreciate that some did, but this forum is simply bashing Adobe because people don't like software subscriptions - I appreciate that if someone was unfortunate enough to pick this exact day to do a fresh install they weren't able to activate it - but that's not the 'thousands' of people being suggested.  It's a tiny percentage, and I do feel their pain.

post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post


Or this all because you can't steal, oh please excuse me, TORRENT copies of the software anymore?

Apparently you can. Hackers always seem to find a way.
http://www.techhive.com/article/2042541/adobe-creative-cloud-cracked-and-pirated-mere-days-after-launch.html
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe Apple can finally acquire Adobe at a reasonable price.

Not Apple's style. They would buy something like Pixelmator, at a much cheaper price, and use it to destroy Adobe.

Actually all the attention they have been giving Sketchbook could be for that very notion. Just need to do more

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post


I DO NOT believe in requiring internet for account validation to use an offline software product. With or without glitches, I believe that requirement is UNACCEPTABLE.

I have no issue with it. Just don't require it every dang use. Once every two weeks is fine

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #50 of 52
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

 

It’s funny, but these copies would still work 100% with CC down. Because it’s not actually needed for the use of the product. :lol:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post


Or this all because you can't steal, oh please excuse me, TORRENT copies of the software anymore?

Apparently you can. Hackers always seem to find a way.
http://www.techhive.com/article/2042541/adobe-creative-cloud-cracked-and-pirated-mere-days-after-launch.html

Not exactly, it's different from before because of how many updates there are, it hasn't been cracked to the extent it was before with a one-off version with very few updates between major releases and you can't use any online services or publishing tools. Articles like that play up to the crowd that pirates software. It's a way of saying 'look the DRM doesn't work so why not just take it out?'. This issue with the server going down is the same. People would urge Adobe to make it as offline as possible and as soon as Adobe did that, they'd go 'heh, look how easy it is to crack now, screw Adobe'. Adobe is well aware of this.

They posted details of what happened here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2014/05/15/recent-service-outage/

"Adobe Service Outage Update

Several Adobe services were down or unreachable for many of you over the last 24 hours. The failure happened during database maintenance activity and affected services that require users to log in with an Adobe ID.

We want to assure you that this was not security related – none of your information or content was lost or exposed.

First, and most importantly, we want to apologize for this outage because we know how critical our services are to you and how disruptive it’s been to those of you who felt the impact. We understand that the time it took to restore service has been frustrating, but we wanted to be as thorough as possible. We have identified the root cause of this failure and are putting standards in place to prevent this from happening again.

We are aware that we didn’t meet your expectations (or ours) today. For this, we apologize. Thanks for bearing with us as we worked to resolve this – and know that we will do better."

Unfortunately they can't allow the program to activate when the server is down because people cracking the software would simply recreate that condition. In the event that the server or database goes down, they should perhaps issue a temporary validation from a redundant server to allow the software to operate until the server can check the license or activation is valid.
post #52 of 52
I love Adobe's products but I hope Creative Cloud fails.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Adobe ID failure takes Creative Cloud down for nearly 24 hours