or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin - Page 3

post #81 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That was in 2007, in 2009 the HTC HD2 was 4.3", and LTE phones didn't come out until 2011.

 

Who are you even arguing with? I don't think anyone said otherwise. Apple or any other company could have easily made a 5 or 6 inch phone before LTE as well if they wished. Any more historical facts you want to point out for us Captain Obvious? 


Edited by gwmac - 5/16/14 at 1:39pm
post #82 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Sony managed it, perhaps it is beyond the scope of a sleazy company like Samsung who can only get performance by hiding a massive battery behind an oversized screen.

I'll agree that they're sleazy, but I don't believe for a second that it's beyond Samsung's scope to build a high end device with a smaller screen.

Bollocks. If that were the case, they would have gone head on with Apple. Why would they want to pass up on 150 million phones and $40 billion profit a year? What a fucking stupid comment you made.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #83 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Bollocks. If that were the case, they would have gone head on with Apple. Why would they want to pass up on 150 million phones and $40 billion profit a year? What a fucking stupid comment you made.

Why would they? They've done pretty good at beating everyone else. Being the same wasn't profitable so they went different.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #84 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That was in 2007, in 2009 the HTC HD2 was 4.3", and LTE phones didn't come out until 2011.

 

At that time, even without LTE, Android phones were getting shockingly poor battery life.

 

Due mainly to requiring higher powered processors to try and get around Android's inherent sluggishness and ill thought out, inefficient multitasking.

 

The most popular Android applications back then were task killers to try and extend the battery.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

At that time, even without LTE, Android phones were getting shockingly poor battery life.

Due mainly to requiring higher powered processors to try and get around Android's inherent sluggishness and ill thought out, inefficient multitasking.

The most popular Android applications back then were task killers to try and extend the battery.

Except that the HTC HD2 was a Windows phone, so what was the reason for making it 4.3"?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Except that the HTC HD2 was a Windows phone, so what was the reason for making it 4.3"?

What, this HD2?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #87 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What, this HD2?

Yes I was mistaken, but not one single person that's claimed that bigger screens were a result of needing a bigger battery has given any proof.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #88 of 94

Because no one cares about that point besides you. You keep harping on it as if someone is invested in defending that theory. Who cares why they went big, they did. Whether it was because of the size of first gen LTE radios or the fact that they needed more battery life or the daughter of the CEO of Samsung asked him to make a larger one it really doesn't matter. 

 

P.S. Wrong HD2 above. That was the Desire

 

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Unlocked-Screen-Windows-Professional/dp/B0030MHQXO

post #89 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Because no one cares about that point besides you. You keep harping on it as if someone is invested in defending that theory. Who cares why they went big, they did. Whether it was because of the size of first gen LTE radios or the fact that they needed more battery life or the daughter of the CEO of Samsung asked him to make a larger one it really doesn't matter. 

P.S. Wrong HD2 above. That was the Desire

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Unlocked-Screen-Windows-Professional/dp/B0030MHQXO


All I'm asking is for some proof of your claim. It's quite common for a member to ask another for a citation. I've never seen a claim get repeated so much without so much as one single link to support it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #90 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

Bollocks. If that were the case, they would have gone head on with Apple. Why would they want to pass up on 150 million phones and $40 billion profit a year? What a fucking stupid comment you made.

Because the only reasonable way to attack an entrenched competitor is to offer something different. Otherwise Samsung would probably have ended up as the Bing of smartphones. Bing is functionally equivalent to Google for all intents and purposes. But just how successful has it been by going "head on" with Google? That MS feels the need for their "Scroogled" PR campaign should provide a clue. Having larger, higher-res displays compared to the iPhone has obviously been a successful differentiating feature for Samsung. 

post #91 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post
 

Because the only reasonable way to attack an entrenched competitor is to offer something different. Otherwise Samsung would probably have ended up as the Bing of smartphones. Bing is functionally equivalent to Google for all intents and purposes. But just how successful has it been by going "head on" with Google? That MS feels the need for their "Scroogled" PR campaign should provide a clue. Having larger, higher-res displays compared to the iPhone has obviously been a successful differentiating feature for Samsung. 

 

Except Samsung's "larger, higher-res displays" have not outsold the iPhone.

 

Samsung outsells the iPhone only when their cheaper, smaller screened, lower-res devices are thrown into the mix.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #92 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Except Samsung's "larger, higher-res displays" have not outsold the iPhone.

Is that the only metric for success? Since they outsell iPhones they should close up shop, and call it quits?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #93 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Is that the only metric for success? Since they outsell iPhones they should close up shop, and call it quits?

 

Well you could take into account Samsung's shareholder warnings as their earnings fall.

 

Due mainly to a lower than expected demand for their large screened, high resolution premium models.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #94 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well you could take into account Samsung's shareholder warnings as their earnings fall.

Due mainly to a lower than expected demand for their large screened, high resolution premium models.

Demand might be be as strong as expected, but it's strong enough.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin