or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bentley's 'short documentary' shot on iPhone 5s, edited on iPad Air

Bentley's 'short documentary' shot on iPhone 5s, edited on iPad Air - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If I were Bentley, I would reply that we wish to make a video showing how well the Bentley is integrated with iOS devices, and we wish to shoot it and edit it using those same devices.

So when they produce their glossy brochures for the dealerships which highlight those same entertainment systems, do you think they use iPhoto and Pages, or perhaps an application that does CMYK and bleed, printer spreads, crops and spot uv, etc. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So when they produce their glossy brochures for the dealerships which highlight those same entertainment systems, do you think they use iPhoto and Pages, or perhaps an application that does CMYK and bleed, printer spreads, crops and spot uv, etc. 

They probably use the latter of what you suggested, but not too many people probably care about how any brochure was made. 

I don't work for Bentley, and I don't know their exact motivations of course, but maybe they're just Apple fans? They did say in the video that the iPad is the best companion for a Bentley.

Or maybe Apple is somehow involved with this, as Apple is trying to increase their presence in the auto industry.

All I know is that I liked the video and I liked how it was done using only Apple iOS.

post #43 of 75
Quote:

All I know is that I liked the video and I liked how it was done using only Apple iOS.

I finally watched the whole clip. Now I sort of agree with you. The first time I started watching it the right side of the video was cut off by the narrow column of the forum software so I bailed on it. After watching it in full frame all the way through it makes more sense. They were using some pretty advance equipment. I still have trouble understanding why all of that pro equipment even exists for an iPhone. If you are are spending so much on everything why don't you use the best professional cameras? You don't see iPhones used to record broadcast TV for example.

I understand that iPhone is useful in some environments such as  where the camera needs to be small or could be damaged as in a hazardous environment but generally speaking, if you are doing professional video work, your first choice for a camera is not going to be an iPhone.

post #44 of 75
Quote:

I finally watched the whole clip. Now I sort of agree with you. The first time I started watching it the right side of the video was cut off by the narrow column of the forum software so I bailed on it. After watching it in full frame all the way through it makes more sense. They were using some pretty advance equipment. I still have trouble understanding why all of that pro equipment even exists for an iPhone. If you are are spending so much on everything why don't you use the best professional cameras? You don't see iPhones used to record broadcast TV for example.

I understand that iPhone is useful in some environments such as  where the camera needs to be small or could be damaged as in a hazardous environment but generally speaking, if you are doing professional video work, your first choice for a camera is not going to be an iPhone.

The people who know the exact answers to those questions are of course the people who were behind the video, we can only guess.

I think that too many people get caught up in specs and technology though. I know this one guy who just bought a 4k Panasonic camera package, and it wasn't exactly cheap.

The only problem is that I don't believe that he grasps the big picture. I've seen a few of his short films and they're mediocre at best, in my opinion. It's not the equipment that's his problem, and it wouldn't matter if he shot using crazy expensive 70 mm film.

The main thing that matters to me is the final result, and it doesn't really matter how somebody arrives there. As I stated earlier, video is not my area of expertise, but audio is, and I'm equally as confident recording something sitting in front of a million dollar console or an iPad. There are certain tasks where an expensive studio and equipment are required, but there are also many tasks where an iPad will do the job just fine, and more likely easier and more convenient too. It all depends on the situation.

post #45 of 75

The last company that did this, Apple hired their CEO.  Looks like the Bentley guy is looking for better work ;)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #46 of 75
Love it! Go Volkswagen AG!

There were quite a few shots I would've sworn had come from a DSLR. Quite a testament to the iPhone. Really good stuff and maybe we'll see this shown or discussed at WWDC.
Edited by SpamSandwich - 5/15/14 at 8:49pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #47 of 75
Quote:

I'm seeing HTML, where's the Flash?

I saw it on the main page of the mobile site. I tapped the image, it tried to load, then immediately displayed "You need Flash" over the image. However, it seems to be loading correctly now, even from the main page, so something is different. Not sure why, but it works now. I did experience network problem when that happened so maybe the JavaScript assumes it was a lack of Flash. Like I said, it plays consistently now for me. Guess I take it back.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 75
The video looks a lot like those corporate branding marketing pieces that companies shoot with some figurehead describing what makes the brand super awesome and passionate. Luxury brands started it, but now every big company is shooting videos like that. Eventually, it'll be overdone and cliche and marketing people will look for something else to copy.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 75

Depth of field from a smartphone is pretty effective for a cramped car interior, and the camera itself is small/light enough to place near anywhere. That they assembled the shots on the iPad has probably more to do with eating their own dogfood in front of the target market, what with an iPad (2 EA) on board.

Whatever you think of the iPhone, and smartphones in general for this type of work, you have to be impressed with the level of effort going into the camera rig (s).

Perhaps a little digging and we can have the specifics.

Edited by tmay - 5/16/14 at 4:59am
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if Apple is paying them for this sort of publicity which puts an easily obtained, mass produced "luxury device" on the same plane as a not-so-easily obtained luxury device? If this was all Bentley's decision to do all this on an iPhone and iPad than Apple's mindshare is much higher than I ever expected.

I would expect that PR is involved here. Not necessarily paid by Apple, maybe just some sort of co-op between allies.

Regardless of iPad's capability to edit this video, it is easier, more efficient to do it on MBP... or Mac Pro... or other dedicated graphics workstations. I really cannot see the reason why would creative team select to edit on Air. It's not like this is some sort of viral video that went directly from shooting device to social sharing site, in fact those few "how it was done" scenes show that production level was quite up there.

Same for shooting equipment. OK, so you can put various attachments on iPhone and make it more capable shooting device than vanilla iPhone... but is it really better/easier to use/more efficient/producing better quality than dedicated equipment these guys must have at their disposal? I don't expect so.

End of the day, very smart, smooth and well executed PR stunt by Apple and Bentley.
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

OK, so you can put various attachments on iPhone and make it more capable shooting device than vanilla iPhone... but is it really better/easier to use/more efficient/producing better quality than dedicated equipment these guys must have at their disposal? I don't expect so.

That's an interesting question. This is well out of my scope so I can't begin offer an answer to that question.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #52 of 75
I'm sensing AirPlay demonstrations in the near future.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Same for shooting equipment. OK, so you can put various attachments on iPhone and make it more capable shooting device than vanilla iPhone... but is it really better/easier to use/more efficient/producing better quality than dedicated equipment these guys must have at their disposal? I don't expect so.

I think you are right. They wanted to play up the Apple aspect because they chose to include that in their car. Not just compatible with iOS but built in by default so it totally makes sense to expand on that relationship. Not that I would expect a Bentley client to be all that impressed with the rear seat, especially in the US, but it is a nice edition to the chauffeur driven elite.

post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Yeah, right... maybe they cut together a couple of shots so they could legally say it was edited in a Bentley. Listen to the sound quality... it was not recorded on iPhone. Shot dual system with a pro audio recorder and mics. This would then need to be imported and synced... not possible on iPad Air. I guess they can fool the man on the street though...

There's actually very high-end audio recording equipment that can be connected directly to an iPhone 5S for recording. With the right physical hardware, you can recording the audio digitally directly to the video. For instance...

The Apogee Quartet is a professional-grade, 4 input, 8 output recording device that digitally records up to 4 streams of audio in high definition and delivers it via the Lightning port. This means that any microphone you can think of that takes XLR can be connected to this and then to the iPhone. I have many users that use the iPad as a musical instrument, producing professional and real-time results on stage.

Blue makes probably the best microphones in the world. I was talking to a rep about one microphone that they made that costs $20,000. While they are doing that, they also make some of the best mics specifically for iPhone.  These are high-end condensers used for vocal recording: http://bluemic.com/iOS_devices/

As a developer, I know the capabilities of AV inside of the iOS SDK.  We are talking about multitrack recording and editing in real time in high-quality audio. I have near bare metal access in C libraries that allow audio to be processed using the same desktop-grade APIs as OS X. There's no reason this can't be done on an iPad Air.

So I dispute your FUD.

Now... this definitely couldn't be done on Android, so you may be confusing the two which is easy to do these days with copycats like Samsung.

post #55 of 75
Quote:

Yeah, right... maybe they cut together a couple of shots so they could legally say it was edited in a Bentley. Listen to the sound quality... it was not recorded on iPhone. Shot dual system with a pro audio recorder and mics. This would then need to be imported and synced... not possible on iPad Air. I guess they can fool the man on the street though...

Watch this:

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 75
Quote:

Not that I would expect a Bentley client to be all that impressed with the rear seat, especially in the US, but it is a nice edition to the chauffeur driven elite.

Is Bentley really the vehicle for being chauffeured in? It always seemed like a driver to me, and not just the 2 door Continental GT. I'd think the Royals Royce Pahntom is for those that want to hire a driver.

post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

well Jony Ive drives a Bentley so who knows...

Bentley need to go back the old quad headlight design. The current headlight design just ruins the front of the car. 

post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Irony: the video was shot and edited as H.264 on the iPhone and iPad, then uploaded to GoogleTube, where it was converted to Adobe "chronically out of date" Flash, so it can't be played on an iPhone or iPad.

EDIT: never mind. The link gave me a "You don't have Flash installed" error from the AppleInsider article page, but launches the YouTube player correctly from the forums page.

I also don't have Flash installed on my Mac. And every time in get that error I simply grab my iPad. Irony to the max.

Quote:

I finally watched the whole clip. Now I sort of agree with you. The first time I started watching it the right side of the video was cut off by the narrow column of the forum software so I bailed on it.

I don't understand what the holdup is with this site to replace the forum software from Huddler. Kasper said it was going to be replaced, but that was last year. The daily annoyances continue to be just that. If it's money they need why don't they crowd source the needed funding? I'll pay happily to get rid of this crap from Huddler. Actually, I am paying for the subscription in the AI app, but that is totally useless as you don't get to read the comments, nor participate.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm seeing HTML, where's the Flash?

I saw it on the main page of the mobile site. I tapped the image, it tried to load, then immediately displayed "You need Flash" over the image. However, it seems to be loading correctly now, even from the main page, so something is different. Not sure why, but it works now. I did experience network problem when that happened so maybe the JavaScript assumes it was a lack of Flash. Like I said, it plays consistently now for me. Guess I take it back.

I believe YT convert video on the fly once there are enough requests from devices that don't support Flash. Why they don't convert everything in the first place is beyond me. Like many things from Google, but I presume I'm just not informed correctly and adequately. I wish @Gatorguy would post info on this as he's well-informed on these matters.

Quote:

Watch this:

To me, it comes across that bennettvista has experience in audio, might be his or her profession, and wants to show off his knowledge on the subject. Be recognised for it. Unfortunately, in trying to achieve this he is taking the route of downplaying others, rather than coming up with facts, figures and URL's.

Thankfully this site has posters like you, who show them things outside of their world and make a sound judgement call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is Bentley really the vehicle for being chauffeured in? It always seemed like a driver to me, and not just the 2 door Continental GT. I'd think the Royals Royce Pahntom is for those that want to hire a driver.

Where the driver used to step out of the car mandatorily in order to open the back door for the VIP, with this Bentley he still needs to get out of the car to flip the fronts seat forward so the VIP can get out 1biggrin.gif
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #59 of 75
Quote:

Ok but it is a reach

Not at all. Many here got it right away.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #60 of 75
Quote:

They used iOS devices because it generated free media in tech circles. If they filmed it on a Red Epic and edited it in Adobe Premier, it would have never been discussed as much as it is now.

post #61 of 75
I live in San Francisco and five years ago I ran into Jony Ive and he was driving a Bentley. I wondered why he would have such a large car given that he designs very svelte objects. I know nothing about cars. A year ago I saw a long documentary from the BBC/PBS about the history of Bentley. And I realized from that documentary that perhaps if you're British and you're into design and car innovation through history, Bentley appears to be the Britt car company of that ilk.
post #62 of 75
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I have no idea which is why I asked why? It makes no sense. If I was a professional videographer and Bentley called me up and asked if I was available to do a documentary and then said, "One requirement is that the entire project must be shot and edited on an iPhone and an iPad", you bet I would ask WHY?

Association. Bentley believe that they make fine cars. They know that Apple design superb phones and iPads. As such, it is very good for their image that they seek to create a synergy between the two.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlym View Post

I live in San Francisco and five years ago I ran into Jony Ive and he was driving a Bentley. I wondered why he would have such a large car given that he designs very svelte objects. I know nothing about cars. A year ago I saw a long documentary from the BBC/PBS about the history of Bentley. And I realized from that documentary that perhaps if you're British and you're into design and car innovation through history, Bentley appears to be the Britt car company of that ilk.
I had the good fortune to be in London recently, and saw a Bentley on the road. To put it simply, I was smitten. That is one gorgeous automobile. It's way out of my league, so I'll just be able to admire from afar, but if I could pick any car in the world, it would be a Bentley.

And that was no slouch of a commercial either!
post #64 of 75
Quote:

In related news, and not to be outdone by Bentley and Apple, several Android manufacturers have banded together with a high profile maker of exclusive horse drawn transportation devices and have made their own video.

This unique transportation device features a fully blown Android entertainment system. There are no electric tables, but there is ample room on the floor to place your Android device, no matter what size it is.

Nice ... Where'd you get the photo of Larry Page commuting to work?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #65 of 75
Quote:

I fail to see the connection. Would a Red or a Black Magic camera and an Avid workstation not be able to show off the impressive onboard entertainment system?

I fail to see the point of your question. Do they need to prove they aren't toys and gadgets?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 75
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You don't have any idea what your talking about, so why yell your opinion from the rooftops? I have a friend who is in the video industry like me, and recommended a condenser mic that records to the iPhone. Wasn't hard to debunk that comment.

I'll let Banksy speak for me.. it's pointless to argue on these boards.

Yes. When people like you simply pull stuff out of their ass, it is pointless.

(Ha! Like there are no professional audio post apps for iPad; Hilarious)

post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I'm not saying anything against the quality or the availability of pro apps for the iPad/iPhone.  I'm simply bringing up the point that it's naive to think the film you saw was post produced completely on the iPad in the back of the Bentley and then uploaded to the internet.  I know how the advertising business works.  We lie to you everyday and hope you believe it.

post #68 of 75
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I'm not saying anything against the quality or the availability of pro apps for the iPad/iPhone.  I'm simply bringing up the point that it's naive to think the film you saw was post produced completely on the iPad in the back of the Bentley and then uploaded to the internet.  I know how the advertising business works.  We lie to you everyday and hope you believe it.

I didn't see anything or anybody who said or even implied that. (?)

post #69 of 75
NAIM Audio... Why that junk?
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlym View Post

I had the good fortune to be in London recently, and saw a Bentley on the road. To put it simply, I was smitten. That is one gorgeous automobile. It's way out of my league, so I'll just be able to admire from afar, but if I could pick any car in the world, it would be a Bentley.

And that was no slouch of a commercial either!

I find them bland, like most modern cars today. It's a shame that, probably due to legislation, there are almost no modern cars with even a tiny fraction of the beauty of the cars of yesteryear. 

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I find them bland, like most modern cars today. It's a shame that, probably due to legislation, there are almost no modern cars with even a tiny fraction of the beauty of the cars of yesteryear. 

Couldn't agree more!

post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Couldn't agree more!

But check out that horsepower!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But check out that horsepower!

Horsepower? You just brought back to me the memory of that priceless Seinfeld episode!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugazcvzOM0Q

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Horsepower? You just brought back to me the memory of that priceless Seinfeld episode!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugazcvzOM0Q

Rusty..! RUSTY!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #75 of 75
Quote:

I don't know where you've been living, but iPhone footage appears on broadcast TV all the time. Many reporters use or are issued iPhones to capture video on the fly. A funny thing happens when a video platform shrinks to the price and size of an iPhone. Suddenly you don't have to spend $5-50k for a camera. The camera doesn't need to be huge and heavy. The camera is cheap enough that it doesn't have to be carried in a box, in a truck, with a crew. You can give one to every reporter and keep your higher-end crews working on stuff that needs the high-end treatment. Heck, iPhones have used for a couple of years now to capture footage for big hollywood movies. This isn't to say that Cannon Mark V's with ML (or  $50k+, high-end, video cameras) aren't used too. But it's pretty clear that in a car, a camera the size of an iPhone looks like a pretty convenient choice for in vehicle shooting.

The thing a lot of nay-saying commentators here don't seem to get—"professional" refers to the work produced, not the cost  of the equipment it's produced on.

Edited by DESuserIGN - 5/19/14 at 1:19pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bentley's 'short documentary' shot on iPhone 5s, edited on iPad Air