or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Investor Carl Icahn buys another $1.65B in Apple stock as shares head toward 7-for-1 split
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Investor Carl Icahn buys another $1.65B in Apple stock as shares head toward 7-for-1 split

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Billionaire investor Carl Icahn, who is known to use his substantial clout to steer public companies' financial policies, recently boosted his stake in Apple by 2.8 million shares worth nearly $1.65 billion.

Icahn
Activist investor Carl Icahn. | Source: Forbes


Icahn's latest position was revealed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Thursday and shows the activist investor now has more than 7.5 million AAPL shares, reports The Wall Street Journal.

At the end of trading today Apple's stock dipped to $588.82, meaning Icahn's stake in the company is worth over $4.4 billion.

The bullish buy was recorded for the March period, which came just before Apple announced a 7-to-1 stock split and share repurchase program. The board increased buyback authorization to $90 billion from a previous $60 billion, while the stock split will take place on June 2 with split-adjusted trading to commence on June 9.

In addition to the split and share buyback initiatives, Apple's board also approved an 8 percent bump to its quarterly cash dividend, bringing the figure up to $3.29 per share. That's up from the previous $3.05 per share, per quarter.

Icahn's move can be seen as a stamp of approval for the decisions made by Apple's board. The investor first revealed his "large position" in Apple last August in a tweet saying he met with CEO Tim Cook to push for a larger stock buyback to boost earnings. It was later reported that Icahn owned about $1.5 billion worth of AAPL stock at the time.

In the months following, Icahn turned up the heat on a prospective stock buyback, going so far as to file a shareholder proxy vote regarding the matter.

Following a series of additional share purchases -- and an increase in Apple's repurchase program -- Icahn dropped his aggressive effort, saying at the time that further actions were unnecessary given the company was "so close" to reaching his proposed target.
post #2 of 56

I was thinking he is dead.  Here comes again.

post #3 of 56
As long as he's buying, I am cool with that.
post #4 of 56

Imagine that guy with his 7.5 million shares and the daily swings that he sees.

 

Small time investors or traders like me don't like to hold any stock and see that they're hundreds or thousands of dollars down on any given day, but if there's a typical day where AAPL is down $10, then Icahn's account would have 75 million dollars less in it than it did at the beginning of the day.:lol:

 

It must be nice to have that much money.

 

And after the split, the guy is going to own more than 50 million shares of AAPL.:lol: 

post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Imagine that guy with his 7.5 million shares and the daily swings that he sees.

Today that is 7.5 MM x ($5.05) = ($37,875,000.00). That's a pretty big loss for most people.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 56
For guy worth 25 Billion, 75 million is a not much! It's like 30k in wealth and having $75 volatility!
post #7 of 56
Karl... We've already told you once, in no uncertain terms, we want NOTHING to do with you......EVER.

You're like the herpes Karl.. The Icahn Strain.... Last warning.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Today that is 7.5 MM x ($5.05) = ($37,875,000.00). That's a pretty big loss for most people.



What loss?  He didn't sell any of it.  :)

post #9 of 56
Wouldn't it be amazing if Carl Icahn actually did something important & positive for the world, instead of simply trying to make more money?
post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 

What loss?  He didn't sell any of it.  :)

 

True. He still owns as many shares as he did before the day started.

 

The main way to lose money in the stock market is to sell something for a cheaper price than what they bought it for. A simple concept, but because of panic sellers and other kinds of people, many people do lose money it seems.

post #11 of 56

Why?

Because iCahn

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #12 of 56
That greedy man again? I bet he regrets he didnt buy at a much lower price few months ago when he was whining like a baby about aapl:)
post #13 of 56
He may be a jerk, but he's not an idiot.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He may be a jerk, but he's not an idiot.

Exactly.  He's a total asshole- ruins companies and Fs over the employees and other shareholders just to make himself more rich.  He'll burn- thats for sure.

 

That said- I agree with him completely.  Apple made 33% on their share buybacks from this time last year- almost $15 billion.  No purchase or headphones or any outside investment is better than that.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #15 of 56

My gut tells me that going down the road, this guy is bad news.

post #16 of 56

I don't really have any problems with Icahn, because he seems to put his money where his mouth is, and he has continuously said that Apple is undervalued and that Apple shares are cheap. Even when AAPL has dropped when they've missed earnings, he's just bought up more. He's definitely better than all of the people who spread FUD about Apple and those ignorant fools who claim that AAPL is overvalued. 

 

So what if his main goal is to make money? That's mine too, and that's also most people's goal, unless they are complete liars.

 

I wouldn't want him to be in charge of Apple, but I don't mind if he's putting billions of dollars into AAPL.


Edited by Apple ][ - 5/15/14 at 7:55pm
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Wouldn't it be amazing if Carl Icahn actually did something important & positive for the world, instead of simply trying to make more money?


Wouldn't it be amazing if you actually did something important and positive for the world, instead of simply telling other people what to do with their money?

post #18 of 56



However Much Carl Icahn Makes Another Buys in Apple stock, As Long As Market is Manipulated by VILLAIN, It's OF NO USE !


We Call It " ENGINEERED AAPL NIAGARA-FALL PLUNGE SCHEME " by VILLAIN !!!!!!





Ugly Latest " ENGINEERED AAPL DECCAN PLATEAU SUPPRESSION SCHEME " by VILLAIN !!!







Let's FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT Against NASD, NASD Regulation, Nasdaq Stock Market and Against ALL Those Concerned with " Manipulating Market ", " Fraud Transactions " and " Runaway EXPLOITATION " Relating to AAPL out of Market !


What We've Learnt out of Latest Apple-Shamesung Court Procedure is We Can HAVE The ENEMY to BE FORCED to SUBMIT Their MOST CONFIDENTIAL TOP SECRET DOCS.

If We, ETHICAL & Healthy LONG-Term( NEVER Short-SELL Oriented SPECULATORS ) AAPL Investers ALL OVER THE WORLD, Unite for The SAKE of DEFENCE of OUR OWN ASSETS, That Will HELP to REVEAL What The Ugly ENTITY of Current Stock Market and Transactions !


Edited by HAMETA - 5/15/14 at 11:32pm
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

<randomly copied and pasted internet half sentences and unrelated photos>
 

Just say no to drugs

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Just say no to drugs


Are You An AMATEUR to Stock Market, OR " Henchman " of VILLAIN ?

Haven't You EVER Heard Such Terms As " Front Running ", " Spoofing " & " Layering " etc. etc. To Name A Few ?

NO ONE Believes NOW that Current Stock Market is FAIR, HEALTHY & APPROPRIATE to Any Invester ANY MORE !!!!!!

" Shenanigans in The Market EXIST. "

" Market is RIGGED. "

That's AN OPEN SECRET to Us.

Edited by HAMETA - 5/17/14 at 8:15pm
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post


Are You An AMATEUR to Stock Market, OR " Henchman " of VILLAIN ?

 

Is this some kind of sophisticated spam?

post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post


Are You An AMATEUR to Stock Market, OR " Henchman " of VILLAIN ?

 

Is this some kind of sophisticated spam?

Can anyone tell me the details of his supplier?
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Just say no to drugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is this some kind of sophisticated spam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Can anyone tell me the details of his supplier?


LOL, My Supplier is Me. Because I'm Long-Term AAPL Owner.

My Asset( Value of AAPL Stock ) Has Been Robbed & Exploited Since 2012 More Than 20 Months by VILLAIN's Stock Maneuvering.

I Bet You 3's Supplier is KCG( Getco + Night Capital Merger ).
post #24 of 56
When I read stuff like this I feel like it's another of rich dude spends more money trying to get richer. Poor people come look this wealthy prick is throwing more money into a company he pisses and moans about while you struggle to pay rent and health insurance premium.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't really have any problems with Icahn, because he seems to put his money where his mouth is, and he has continuously said that Apple is undervalued and that Apple shares are cheap. Even when AAPL has dropped when they've missed earnings, he's just bought up more. He's definitely better than all of the people who spread FUD about Apple and those ignorant fools who claim that AAPL is overvalued. 

So what if his main goal is to make money? That's mine too, and that's also most people's goal, unless they are complete liars.

I wouldn't want him to be in charge of Apple, but I don't mind if he's putting billions of dollars into AAPL.

This deal he's fine on Apple ][. It's his hostile takeovers that are atrocious. Typically ends up ripping off people the company owes money to, all shareholders, but most importantly the employees. The most recent one he screwed was blockbuster. But his most famous, if I recall, was Pan Am. That not only screwed everyone, but also airports and the government in the process. He takes over, sells profitable stuff, and gets out- leaving the shareholders and employees with nothing.

He's a scumbag to the highest order. He's brilliant, but ruthless. There are ways to be wealthy and rich and still be able to look yourself in the mirror. Like investing in Apple for one, like he's doing now.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post



LOL, My Supplier is Me. Because I'm Long-Term AAPL Owner.

My Asset( Value of AAPL Stock ) Has Been Robbed & Exploited Since 2012 More Than 20 Months by VILLAIN's Stock Maneuvering.

I Bet You 3's Supplier is KCG( Getco + Night Capital Merger ).

Posters that like to play with large fonts and colors as often as you, regardless of the content make themselves look like a first grader in most reader's eyes. I strongly suggest you cease and desist with the infantile posting method if you really want your posts to be read or taken seriously.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

That greedy man again? I bet he regrets he didnt buy at a much lower price few months ago when he was whining like a baby about aapl:)

The article says he bought back in March, prior to the $75 increase in share price. That was an easy 14% increase in value!
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawkins541 View Post

When I read stuff like this I feel like it's another of rich dude spends more money trying to get richer. Poor people come look this wealthy prick is throwing more money into a company he pisses and moans about while you struggle to pay rent and health insurance premium.

I think you may be in the wrong economic system. Consider alternatives?

post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

LOL, My Supplier is Me. Because I'm Long-Term AAPL Owner.

My Asset( Value of AAPL Stock ) Has Been Robbed & Exploited Since 2012 More Than 20 Months by VILLAIN's Stock Maneuvering.

I Bet You 3's Supplier is KCG( Getco + Night Capital Merger ).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Posters that like to play with large fonts and colors as often as you, regardless of the content make themselves look like a first grader in most reader's eyes. I strongly suggest you cease and desist with the infantile posting method if you really want your posts to be read or taken seriously.

Dude seems to knows lots about (at least the names of) things that go on in stock markets, but if financially successful at applying 'em should spend some $$ on a good therapist working on at least his communication skills.

I also shudder to contemplate his politics.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #30 of 56
Well, it looks like Icahn accepted my challenge and matched my Monday purchase of Apple shares…... by about 700,000:1. LOL (I bought 4 shares @ $592)
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 


Wouldn't it be amazing if you actually did something important and positive for the world, instead of simply telling other people what to do with their money?

 

Wouldn't be amazing if you had any clue how world economy's work?

 

Without investors willing to risk BILLIONS of dollars on companies we would still be stuck in the industrial revolution.  Investors play a key role in allowing corporations to have access to capital funds in order to grow and improve their business.  Without such funds many corporations would go out of business or be bought out.

 

So what do you want?  A world without investors?  Without public companies?  Then you would be stuck at 1850 England.

post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
 

My gut tells me that going down the road, this guy is bad news.

 

Since he bought in the stock is up over 25%

post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you may be in the wrong economic system. Consider alternatives?
I don't know if your a pro in economics or not, but have you seen the status of things economically. Thanks for your time captain and good day to your attempt at wit.
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawkins541 View Post

I don't know if your a pro in economics or not, but have you seen the status of things economically. Thanks for your time captain and good day to your attempt at wit.

What is the status of things economically? Low inflation, low interest rates, unemployment at 6.3%, declining budget deficits, health care reform taking a significant step forward, the stock market at all-time nights, companies (such as Apple) beginning to in-source their manufacturing and assembly, resurgence of the Detroit Big 3, gas prices still under $4, no unfunded war spending, a healthy debate (and efforts) under way to increase minimum wage,...... The list goes on.

 

You may choose to see the glass as half empty, but I see it differently.

post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

What is the status of things economically? Low inflation, low interest rates, unemployment at 6.3%, declining budget deficits, health care reform taking a significant step forward, the stock market at all-time nights, companies (such as Apple) beginning to in-source their manufacturing and assembly, resurgence of the Detroit Big 3, gas prices still under $4, no unfunded war spending, a healthy debate (and efforts) under way to increase minimum wage,...... The list goes on.

 

You may choose to see the glass as half empty, but I see it differently.

I look forward, not at the present state of the economy, and while it's not terrible, it's not great either. I'm a business owner and retail (and B2B) is not back to the levels we were seeing prior to October 2008, and we will certainly never see the same margins we once did. To make the same money as we once did, we have to work harder and make it up via increased volume.

 

Mark my words, the stock market is in the process of "bubble"-ing and unemployment will rise once the health care reform takes hold completely. This is the (relative) calm before the next (correction) storm. 

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I look forward, not at the present state of the economy, and while it's not terrible, it's not great either. I'm a business owner and retail (and B2B) is not back to the levels we were seeing prior to October 2008, and we will certainly never see the same margins we once did. To make the same money as we once did, we have to work harder and make it up via increased volume.

Mark my words, the stock market is in the process of "bubble"-ing and unemployment will rise once the health care reform takes hold completely. This is the (relative) calm before the next (correction) storm. 
Thank you!
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I look forward, not at the present state of the economy, and while it's not terrible, it's not great either. I'm a business owner and retail (and B2B) is not back to the levels we were seeing prior to October 2008, and we will certainly never see the same margins we once did. To make the same money as we once did, we have to work harder and make it up via increased volume.

Mark my words, the stock market is in the process of "bubble"-ing and unemployment will rise once the health care reform takes hold completely. This is the (relative) calm before the next (correction) storm. 

Unfortunately, I agree that businesses such as retail are getting disintermediated. That has to do with, IMHO, larger forces such as e-commerce rather than the state of the economy.

The market is in bubble territory? No way. Even with some massive pockets of overvaluation (e.g., FB, TWTR, TSKA, NFLX, AMZN) the S&P500 -- which accounts for 90% of the market cap of stocks in the US -- currently trades at a forward P/E of 16x. The average over the past century is 15x.

Will there be a correction at some point? Of course. That is inherent to the nature of things in an economy like this. But that could be one year away or ten years away or 25 years away, no one can tell.
Edited by anantksundaram - 5/16/14 at 12:40pm
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Posters that like to play with large fonts and colors as often as you, regardless of the content make themselves look like a first grader in most reader's eyes. I strongly suggest you cease and desist with the infantile posting method if you really want your posts to be read or taken seriously.

Thank You for Your Advice, but IT'S ME !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Dude seems to knows lots about (at least the names of) things that go on in stock markets, but if financially successful at applying 'em should spend some $$ on a good therapist working on at least his communication skills.

Well, As Far As Communication Skill is Concerned, I Have A Edge on YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I also shudder to contemplate his politics.....

My Politics is SIMPLE !

WHERE HE LEADS.



post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Unfortunately, I agree that businesses such as retail are getting disintermediated. That has to do with, IMHO, larger forces such as e-commerce rather than the state of the economy.

The market is in bubble territory? No way. Even with some massive pockets of overvaluation (e.g., FB, TWTR, TSKA, NFLX, AMZN) the S&P500 -- which accounts for 90% of the market cap of stocks in the US -- currently trades at a forward P/E of 16x. The average over the past century is 15x.

Will there be a correction at some point? Of course. That is inherent to the nature of things in an economy like this. But that could be one year away or ten years away or 25 years away, no one can tell.

Well said.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Unfortunately, I agree that businesses such as retail are getting disintermediated. That has to do with, IMHO, larger forces such as e-commerce rather than the state of the economy.

The market is in bubble territory? No way. Even with some massive pockets of overvaluation (e.g., FB, TWTR, TSKA, NFLX, AMZN) the S&P500 -- which accounts for 90% of the market cap of stocks in the US -- currently trades at a forward P/E of 16x. The average over the past century is 15x.

Will there be a correction at some point? Of course. That is inherent to the nature of things in an economy like this. But that could be one year away or ten years away or 25 years away, no one can tell.

I'm not being a pessimist, just keeping it real. It's happening sooner rather than later and it'll be more about interest rates and inflation. The stock market will naturally follow soon, thereafter.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Investor Carl Icahn buys another $1.65B in Apple stock as shares head toward 7-for-1 split