or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google taps former fashion executive to head Glass team

Google taps former fashion executive to head Glass team

post #1 of 55
Apple isn't the only company hiring from the fashion industry in anticipation of the growth of wearable electronics, as Google has hired a former executive from Calvin Klein, Coach and Gap to head up its head-mounted Glass project.

Google's new Glass head Ivy Ross.

Ivy Ross introduced herself as the new head of Google Glass on the product's official Google+ account on Thursday, revealing that she will officially take over the position next Monday, May 19. Ross's wide-spanning career includes positions at Swatch, Bausch & Lomb, and Mattel, while her most recent stint was as marketing director at Art.com.

"With your help," Ross wrote, "I look forward to answering the seemingly simple, but truly audacious questions Glass poses: Can technology be something that frees us up and keeps us in the moment, rather than taking us out of it? Can it help us look up and out at the world around us, and the people who share it with us?"

Ross's background in the fashion industry is significant, as Google Glass faces significant hurdles in public adoption, with concerns not only about privacy and the ability to covertly record video and take pictures, but also looking "geeky" while wearing a head-mounted display.

Glass

Apple also seems to have fashion concerns in mind for its own secretive future products, chief among them expected to be a so-called "iWatch" the company is rumored to be working on. Ahead of an anticipated unveiling later this year, Apple has hired a veritable "dream team" of experts from the fashion industry, as well as health and fitness fields.

In one of hits highest profile hires, Apple tapped the former CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrends, to take over its retail operations. Ahrendts started at Apple late last month.

As for Glass, Google announced earlier this year that it had partnered with Luxottica, which is the maker of premium, luxury and sports eyewear, to build more attractive versions of Glass in the future. The company is responsible for eyewear for popular brands such as Ray-Ban, Oakley, Armani, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Coach, Polo Ralph Lauren, Prada, Tory Burch, and Versace.
post #2 of 55
Copy. Cats.
post #3 of 55
Looking outside the tech field for wearables? Where does Google management get such great ideas? Maybe Microsoft or Facebook?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 55
Monkey see, monkey do.
post #5 of 55

I also love how that girl looking on in the background is all like "boy, that makes him look even more like a dork than I thought was possible".

post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Copy. Cats.

Google is at the intersection of liberal arts and technology. /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 55
They're copying at a rapid click.

I can imagine her first thought when seeing google glasses....
post #8 of 55
Quote:

I also love how that girl looking on in the background is all like "boy, that makes him look even more like a dork than I thought was possible".

And the woman who is fitting him is saying, "Your assimilation into the Borg is complete."

post #9 of 55
Maybe she can make Borg implants fashionable. A little color, a little design. Maybe a promotion with Bentley. Something to sell us on the idea of wearing that prosthetic eye replacement for surreptitious data collection is not so creepy.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 55
Quote:

this.  Also lol @ the picture caption "Google's new Glass head".

Though a good move for Google - Glass has been in sore need of some fashion help.  Reminds me of UI designed by software engineers instead of a real visual design/UX team.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #11 of 55

Guys... this is a real life look at how girls will react to seeing you wear Google Glass.

post #12 of 55
Maybe she can make a line of Google Glasses like Elton John's collection.
post #13 of 55

They are hoping glancing up off into space uttering 'huh?' while you interact with people will become the new cool. They have their work cut out, that's for sure.

post #14 of 55
Quote:

Guys... this is a real life look at how girls will react to seeing you wear Google Glass.

Don't worry. It is likely that many AI readers already get those reactions without Google Glass.

post #15 of 55
It won't help. Nothing will help. For people who already wear glasses Glass will have to be nearly invisible to other people to be acceptable. For the non-glasses wearing public, it will never be widely accepted. People who are wearing Glass look deranged.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 55

GoogleInsider...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #17 of 55
Childishly bashing the innovators- are we? Rich.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #18 of 55

Head Glasshole

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It won't help. Nothing will help. For people who already wear glasses Glass will have to be nearly invisible to other people to be acceptable. For the non-glasses wearing public, it will never be widely accepted. People who are wearing Glass look deranged.
to me being less conspicuous is even more scary. Then you really don't know if someone is secretly filming you or taking a picture of you.
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It might be a generational thing.

While Bluetooth cellphone earpieces are now quite commonplace, they are still dorky. To me, they will never ever be cool.

There was a period of time after their debut that some people took to wearing them all the time on the street. Apparently it was a passing fad, since I don't see them often on people who are not having active telephone conversations.

In time, Google Glass may end up being mostly used in specific context-oriented (mostly work) settings, like airplane pilots in a cockpit, physicians in the operating room, on an inventory analyst in a warehouse.

When you wear a device like Google Glass or a Bluetooth earpiece, the implication is that the world around you may be less important than what that device is transmitting.

post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It's not bashing, it's honest criticism that needs to be accounted for in the innovation process. Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should* and technology needs to be appropriate to fit or influence the culture.

I think that Google is doing the exact opposite of what they should do, and the reason is they want everyone to wear Google Glass so they can harvest their personal data. The technology would be perfect for key industries. For instance, medical personnel and emergency responders or warehouse employees. There are a million applications on the professional side where it wouldn't be weird to see someone wearing these. Instead, they hire a fashion nut to try to go after high-end fashion with a ridiculous accessory.

Google... is tone deaf when it comes to what people want. True innovators can hear they music before they write it and that music resonates with the culture of the time. Google is just marching along to the same old tune someone else wrote and hoping to be cool.

I should mention that I own a Google Glass for my business and wrote an alpha version of an app. After demonstrating it to my users, they all say the same things that I'm saying... it's not going to be social acceptable and it's dang expensive. Even if they make it fashionable, it will be the pinnacle of douchery like owning a Hummer with spinners.

post #22 of 55
Points to Google for making an innovative project and trying to improve it.

They need to change the bad rep of this product as being for glassholes.
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

We're actually ringing the dinner bell for the Google lickers to come out and play!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 55
But I do appreciate copyists being called 'innovators', just because they are Google. No bad labels can stick to Google. They're made of Teflon.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Points to Google for making an innovative project and trying to improve it.

But when Apple improves things, no points, not even a mention by the tech media. Except maybe this site. Because the tech media is only interested in reporting Apple's spectacular failures.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 55

Google should just drop glass.  Shelve it for now.

The product may be before it's time.

Time will tell.

post #27 of 55

post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Copy. Cats.

Google is at the intersection of liberal use of other's art and technology.

post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:

Don't worry. It is likely that many AI readers already get those reactions without Google Glass.

The one person I know that has them isn't any better off without them. Just saying....

post #30 of 55

Glass is moronic.

But Ivy Ross knows what she's doing.  She's proven it time and time again.

Still won't save Glass, however.  It's just too stupid.

post #31 of 55
Quote:

But when Apple improves things, no points, not even a mention by the tech media. Except maybe this site. Because the tech media is only interested in reporting Apple's spectacular failures.

The editor in chief at the NYT has been fired this week- I wonder if she was behind all the Apple bashing. It seems like it happened concurrent with her reign.

post #32 of 55
Quote:

But I do appreciate copyists being called 'innovators', just because they are Google. No bad labels can stick to Google. They're made of Teflon.

Teflon for which they did not pay a licensing fee.
post #33 of 55

I hate this google with a passion!

That said, when the product is based on shit, then no former, present or future fashion designer can save it.

After all, it's from google! The morons who invented Ads to make a living ...

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #34 of 55
I will be saving up for some wearable technology right after I get that 3D TV I keep seeing ads for. And a Netbook. And a new CB radio.
post #35 of 55
Quote:

Shouting, "follow that car!"
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Google is at the intersection of liberal use of other's art and technology.

You are to be commended for coming up with this.
post #37 of 55
It's kind of hilarious to see them position Glass as technology that "keeps you in the moment" when the primary objection to Glass is that your attention will forever be split between the online and offline worlds.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

It might be a generational thing.

Perhaps (although anecdotally I've never seen anyone in person wearing Glass in my large metropolitan area).

While Bluetooth cellphone earpieces are now quite commonplace, they are still dorky. To me, they will never ever be cool.

There was a period of time after their debut that some people took to wearing them all the time on the street. Apparently it was a passing fad, since I don't see them often on people who are not having active telephone conversations.

In time, Google Glass may end up being mostly used in specific context-oriented (mostly work) settings, like airplane pilots in a cockpit, physicians in the operating room, on an inventory analyst in a warehouse.

When you wear a device like Google Glass or a Bluetooth earpiece, the implication is that the world around you may be less important than what that device is transmitting.

I used to see a lot of people with Bluetooth earpieces and now... no one. They tend to hold the phone to their ear or use the speakerphone while driving.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #39 of 55
The difference here is this: You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

Just when you would hope that Google would pull the plug on this silly idea, they are pouring more money into it.

It's like the ugly baby that the mother thinks is the most beautiful thing in the world because it is hers, and none of her friends has the heart to tell her.

Yes Google, I'm talking about you.
post #40 of 55

What is sad, is Google's utter lack of hardware prowess, 2 years after the initial announcement the Google Glass, is still not a sellable product not by a long shot.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google taps former fashion executive to head Glass team