or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
Some who upgraded to OS X 10.9.3 this week have found that the update mistakenly hides the system's "/Users" folder at the top level of their hard drive. But the bug can be addressed with a quick and easy fix.




OS X 10.9.3 hit the Mac App Store on Thursday, and after updating to the latest version of Mavericks, some users discovered the new bug. The "/Users" folder remains active on the person's hard drive, but for some reason it is hidden on some machines.

A fix for the problem was highlighted on Friday by The Loop, in which users simply need to type in a single command in Terminal via OS X. Just open Spotlight search in the top right corner,, type in "Terminal" and open the application, then enter the following command:

sudo chflags nohidden /Users



For those uncomfortable with terminal, a more complicated and less permanent method is also available:

  • Open a Finder window and select the "Go" menu, then choose "Go to Folder"
  • Once the dialog appears, type "/Users" (without quotes) and click the "Go" button
  • Control-click on the "/Users" folder and select "Make Alias"


While OS X 10.9.3 introduced this new bug, it did squash a number of other issues with Mavericks. In addition, it also improved support for high-resolution 4K displays on both the new cylindrical Mac Pro and the late-2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.
post #2 of 70

If you are going to copy stories, at least get the whole story. The "fix" is temporary and will revert when you restart. See Mac Rumors for more details. ;)

post #3 of 70
It didn't hide my users folder!
post #4 of 70

Is it a bug or was it intentional?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #5 of 70

Aha, I thought it was odd that I couldn't see it. Hopefully a proper fix will arrive soon.

post #6 of 70
I am going to assume anyone that accesses /Users regularly should be able to easily navigate to it hidden or not. And everyone else wont notice the difference.
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

The "fix" is temporary and will revert when you restart.

The fix isn't temporary because they instruct you to create an alias of your User folder which will not be hidden.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is it a bug or was it intentional?

Yesterday I would have said this was intentional, like with /Library, but knowing that's it not affecting all those updating to 10.9.3 I'd say it has to be a bug at some level.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 70
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
The fix isn't temporary because they instruct you to create an alias of your User folder which will not be hidden.


That’s hardly an actual fix. It’s a workaround for something that shouldn’t be happening at all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #10 of 70

It's a bug... It only happens when you upgrade to the latest version of iTunes and have "Find My Mac" enabled. Has nothing to do with the OS upgrade, which is why some people aren't affected.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #11 of 70

Totally wrong. The fix isn't permanent, and the alias fix doesn't work. If anyone had bothered to try it, they would know it doesn't work.

 

When you go to /Users, a window opens showing the CONTENTS of the Users folder, not the folder itself. When control-click the icon for Users at the top of the Window, you don't get the option to make an alias.

 

This is also true if you add Users to the Sidebar or the Dock; you don't get an option to make an alias with either of those.

 

BUT...you can hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys, and while keeping them held down, drag the Users icon from the top of the window to your Desktop, and an alias will be made there.

 

Of course, if you then try to move that alias to the root level of your hard drive, you'll get the error message "[t]he item 'Users' can't be replaced because it's invisible."

 

It sure would be nice if Macrumors and The Loop would check these things before posting them.

post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


That’s hardly an actual fix. It’s a workaround for something that shouldn’t be happening at all.

It doesn't fix Apple's bug but it fixes the problem for anyone needing to access to their /Users folder items from within Finder at the root of their directory. The only visible different is a tiny little black arrow in the bottom left corner of the icon denoting it's an alias. This isn't /UsersGate and it's not a reason people should avoid updating.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

It's a bug... It only happens when you upgrade to the latest version of iTunes and have "Back to my Mac" enabled. Has nothing to do with the OS upgrade, which is why some people aren't affected.

 

I don't have Back to My Mac enabled, and it happened to me.

post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post
 

 

I don't have Back to My Mac enabled, and it happened to me.

 

Oops... Sorry, my bad...

 

It's actually, "Find My Mac"

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #15 of 70
I haven't checked if this happened to me at all, but with all my knowledge about Apple devices, I can post an AppleScript that'll keep it from hiding if any of you are uncomfortable with scripting. All you'll have to do is make it run at login real quick. It'll keep it from hiding everytime you restart. If anyone wants that, let me know.
post #16 of 70
caused by Find My Mac.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #17 of 70
That makes sense.
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post

Totally wrong. The fix isn't permanent, and the alias fix doesn't work. If anyone had bothered to try it, they would know it doesn't work.

When you go to /Users, a window opens showing the CONTENTS of the Users folder, not the folder itself. When control-click the icon for Users at the top of the Window, you don't get the option to make an alias.

This is also true if you add Users to the Sidebar or the Dock; you don't get an option to make an alias with either of those.

BUT...you can hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys, and while keeping them held down, drag the Users icon from the top of the window to your Desktop, and an alias will be made there.

Of course, if you then try to move that alias to the root level of your hard drive, you'll get the error message "[t]he item 'Users' can't be replaced because it's invisible."

It sure would be nice if Macrumors and The Loop would check these things before posting them.

Holy shit!

1) Yes, it has been tested and does work.

2) Here's a fucking picture of the option to make an alias.



3) Here's a fucking picture of the alias after it was created and it accessing the contents of the folder.



4) Here's a fucking picture of the /Users folder in the sidebar and it accessing the contents of the folder.



5) It sounds like you're trying to create an alias with the exact same name as your Folder while residing in the same folder as the hidden item.

6) If you're going to go through so much stupid shit just to have an alias that also is named, exactly, Users then why not just take the 2 minutes to make the simple script that will unhide the /Users folder every time your machine boots up?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 70
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
It doesn't fix Apple's bug but it fixes the problem for anyone needing to access to their /Users folder items from within Finder at the root of their directory.

 

Oh, in that case.

 
This isn’t /UsersGate…

 

Now you’ve done it. We’ll see it on CNN tonight and they’ll pronounce the slash.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #20 of 70
It hides other information as well; was copying files from CD to our server from my Mac and it hid the files as well. This update has been a bit of a lemon.
post #21 of 70
Bug you say? You can only get to your own anyway and all of that is in the GO menu. I for one welcome our user-less overlords!
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It hides other information as well; was copying files from CD to our server from my Mac and it hid the files as well. This update has been a bit of a lemon.

Now that sounds like a more pressing issue.

Does the Show All command reveal them?
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #23 of 70
for ****'s sake, apple, just fix it!

Pressing the option key while accessing the 'GO' menu works.
Shortcut Shift+Command+h key also works.

i'm okay with this.
Edited by mac_dog - 5/16/14 at 11:42am
post #24 of 70
On a practical note, why does anyone care anyway? Is this actually relatively unimportant? Which 'mission critical' functions would be affected by this?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #25 of 70
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
On a practical note, why does anyone care anyway? Isn't this relatively unimportant?

 

Certainly more important than getting to the Library folder.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Certainly more important than getting to the Library folder.

 

I cannot recall needing to get to the /Users folder before. What files do most people need to access here?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

The "fix" is temporary and will revert when you restart.

The fix isn't temporary because they instruct you to create an alias of your User folder which will not be hidden.

 

This "fix" is temporary. 

 

sudo chflags nohidden /Users

 

This story puts the alias there for people not comfortable with terminal instead of saying hey, if you don't do this, it is not going to work after the restart. 

post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Certainly more important than getting to the Library folder.

Can you propose a scenario that makes it more important than accessing one's /Library folder? I probably access my /Library folder for various reasons every week, which is why I used the chflag command to unhide it, but I can't recall the last time I needed to access the /Users folder that didn't involve having access to my ~/ folder within that folder which are all preset in Finder's Sidebar.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #29 of 70

So, how many times were the OS beta versions vetted by the best minds in the developer, propellerheads & even open to the public to review the build before final release. It would seem:

 

A. They missed this.

B. Its a new feature added in, but no explanation provided as to its usefulness.

C. It was undetected in testing by not evaluating the interaction of the iTunes release with the OS release.

 

Was iTunes released as a beta for testing as well? If so, as a completelty separate function to test against the existing OS, or was it tested against the OS beta as well?

post #30 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

This "fix" is temporary. 


sudo chflags nohidden /Users


This story puts the alias there for people not comfortable with terminal instead of saying hey, if you don't do this, it is not going to work after the restart. 

It's not temporary. You unhide it with either method and then create an alias. The alias will not disappear when you restart.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

I cannot recall needing to get to the /Users folder before. What files do most people need to access here?

 

Most people do not have multiple user accounts set up on their computers, so they would NEVER need to access the /Users folder for anything other than getting to your Home folder, of which there are many other ways to open.

 

If you notice in your Home folder there is a "Public" folder. This is where you can place items to allow others to access. And a place where others on your system can leave you stuff, "Drop Box", which is a write-only folder.

 

Oops... there's a system wide "Shared" folder that lets you store items that all users on your system can access rather than dropping it into each user's drop box. 

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

 

Most people do not have multiple user accounts set up on their computers, so they would NEVER need to access the /Users folder for anything other than getting to your Home folder, of which there are many other ways to open.

 

If you notice in your Home folder there is a "Public" folder. This is where you can place items to allow others to access. And a place where others on your system can leave you stuff, "Drop Box", which is a write-only folder.

 

It's good information to point that out to anyone curious, but personally I'm a long time Mac user. I've never found a need to access the /Users folder. Ever.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

I am going to assume anyone that accesses /Users regularly should be able to easily navigate to it hidden or not. And everyone else wont notice the difference.

 

And I for the life of me can’t think of why a user would need to access the /Users folder on a regular basis.

post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And I for the life of me can’t think of why a user would need to access the /Users folder on a regular basis.

@mjtomlin's answer is the only one I'm aware of but if you're doing that on a regular basis I'd think you would have created Desktop, Dock, or Sidebar items to navigate to these /Users/%username%/Public folders quickly instead of drilling down through the system,.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Yesterday I would have said this was intentional, like with /Library, but knowing that's it not affecting all those updating to 10.9.3 I'd say it has to be a bug at some level.

 

My /Users folder was still visible after the update to 10.9.3... until I repaired permissions. Then it was hidden. But more concerning are the reports that the /Users folder permissions have also changed from 775 to 777 which makes the folder modifiable by anyone. I agree, it must be a bug.

post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But more concerning are the reports that the /Users folder permissions have also changed from 775 to 777 which makes the folder modifiable by anyone. I agree, it must be a bug.

Now security is something to be concerned with.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

It's good information to point that out to anyone curious, but personally I'm a long time Mac user. I've never found a need to access the /Users folder. Ever.

 

As an example of how this functions...

 

I have a friend who uses my computer regularly, so I created his own account (rather than let him **** up my stuff). Sometimes he'll want a copy of a document from me or even a song I ripped or he'll ask me to download something for him.

 

To get that item to him there are many different ways, but the quickest is to just throw into his drop box where he'll have it the next time he logs in. His drop box is in his home folder, which itself is in the /Users folder. If the /Users folder is hidden I'm screwed (if I didn't know other ways to access it: from the terminal, just type, "open /users" and the Finder will open the folder in a window).

 

This sort of thing is left over from big unix systems that had many, many user accounts.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

My /Users folder was still visible after the update to 10.9.3... until I repaired permissions. Then it was hidden. But more concerning are the reports that the /Users folder permissions have also changed from 775 to 777 which makes the folder modifiable by anyone. I agree, it must be a bug.

 

 

Those reports are correct and it is a security problem,

 

another thing... the "Shared" folder in the /Users folder has also been hidden.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #39 of 70

Mine is in the same place, and visible as it always has been.

.

.

post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Now security is something to be concerned with.

 

This from MacWorld...

 

"Update: Dave Hamilton at the Mac Observer seems to have sniffed out the root issue. As it turns out, this isn’t a problem caused by OS X 10.9.3, but rather some kind of interaction between iTunes 11.2 and Find My Mac. If you have the latest version of iTunes installed and, within the iCloud system preference, have Find My Mac enabled (even if you’re running 10.9.2), the Users folder will be hidden. Switch off Find My Mac, use the Terminal trick above to unhide the folder, and the Users folder will remain visible even after you restart.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal