or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal

OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal - Page 2

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

This "fix" is temporary. 

sudo chflags nohidden /Users

This story puts the alias there for people not comfortable with terminal instead of saying hey, if you don't do this, it is not going to work after the restart. 

It's not temporary. You unhide it with either method and then create an alias. The alias will not disappear when you restart.

I get what your saying. You are correct. The article however does not say what you are saying. :) It calls the command line the "fix". It offers the Alias for those that don't want to do the command line. It doesn't say that you should do the alias so you can easily get to the folder after a restart. MacRummors has much more details and says that if you just do the command line, it will revert back on restart.

If this response doesn't get my point across, it is ok. I'm done as it isn't that big of a deal anyway. Cheers! 

post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I get what your saying. You are correct. The article however does not say what you are saying. 1smile.gif It calls the command line the "fix". It offers the Alias for those that don't want to do the command line. It doesn't say that you should do the alias so you can easily get to the folder after a restart. MacRummors has much more details and says that if you just do the command line, it will revert back on restart.

If this response doesn't get my point across, it is ok. I'm done as it isn't that big of a deal anyway. Cheers! 

Sure, they shouldn't have put the create alias only with the second fix. It should be listed for both, which can be done via Terminal, or separated it out as an additional step required by both option. But if we're going start breaking down what AI writes compared to what is factual we'll never get anything accomplished. 1biggrin.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Those reports are correct and it is a security problem,

another thing... the "Shared" folder in the /Users folder has also been hidden.

Nope, I must be sweet as candy. Either that, or my mac just loves me for being faithful.

Gotta love  

post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This from MacWorld...

"Update: Dave Hamilton at the Mac Observer seems to have sniffed out the root issue. As it turns out, this isn’t a problem caused by OS X 10.9.3, but rather some kind of interaction between iTunes 11.2 and Find My Mac. If you have the latest version of iTunes installed and, within the iCloud system preference, have Find My Mac enabled (even if you’re running 10.9.2), the Users folder will be hidden. Switch off Find My Mac, use the Terminal trick above to unhide the folder, and the Users folder will remain visible even after you restart.

Nope, guess I am sweet as candy :lol:

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was

post #45 of 70
I suspect we'll see iTunes 11.2.1 soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

Nope, I must be sweet as candy. Either that, or my mac just loves me for being faithful.
Gotta love  

Did you install iTunes 11.2 and have Find My Mac enabled as noted as requirements for this bug to take effect?

post #46 of 70
Quote:

Gotta love  

Really?

So you've upgraded Mac OS X, iTunes and have "Find My Mac" turned on?

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #47 of 70
Quote:

Gotta love  

Yep.

post #48 of 70

It might be prudent to think twice about so-called work arounds, ‘fixes.’ and the like. When Apple does issue a patch the results for those who just had to tinker might not be what they were hoping for. Just saying this is not some deal killing bug and I intend to wait it out.

post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is it a bug or was it intentional?

The bug question is for anyone to answer. In my opinion, it's a real nuisance, so I deem it a bug, because that's what it is to me, a bug.

post #50 of 70
Quote:

This from MacWorld...

"Update: Dave Hamilton at the Mac Observer seems to have sniffed out the root issue. As it turns out, this isn’t a problem caused by OS X 10.9.3, but rather some kind of interaction between iTunes 11.2 and Find My Mac. If you have the latest version of iTunes installed and, within the iCloud system preference, have Find My Mac enabled (even if you’re running 10.9.2), the Users folder will be hidden. Switch off Find My Mac, use the Terminal trick above to unhide the folder, and the Users folder will remain visible even after you restart.

Does "Find My Mac" have to be LEFT off in order for the /User folder to remain visible? If I reactivate "Find My Mac" will the /User folder stay visible or will it again be hidden after a restart?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #51 of 70
Quote:

Sure, they shouldn't have put the create alias only with the second fix.

It WAS confusing. I read the part about how to do it via Terminal; the rest was presented as an alternative for those who aren't comfortable with Terminal, and said it was "less permanent," so I didn't bother reading that part. Then I got to the comments and saw the discussion of creating an alias and was very konfoozed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But if we're going start breaking down what AI writes compared to what is factual we'll never get anything accomplished. 1biggrin.gif

LOL! I wish that were not "funny because it's true!"

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #52 of 70
No such bug here - so please stop assuming it was intentional.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #53 of 70

Great! This is exactly the type of sloppy BS and "simple fixes" that I used to have to deal with when I was using a Windows computer. Ever since OS X and the switch to the Unix kernel, the Mac OS has become just a little more buggy, a little less user friendly, and a little more Windows-like with every version. 

Remember the good old days (OS 8 and 9) when removing a program just involved dragging a folder to the trash? Now there are root folders, permissions, installs that spray files all over your hard drive. It's become much more tedious to maintain order, especially when something goes wrong.

post #54 of 70
Quote:

This from MacWorld...

WRONG.

I have 10.9.3, the latest iTunes and Find my Mac and the problem does NOT exist.

If anything, this is a LESSON to those pundits who have always stated that repairing permissions before and after any update was useless...it is NOT. ALWAYS DO IT.
post #55 of 70
I personally don't care about this issue. I very very very rarely go to the Users folder anyway because I use the system Apple intended me to use i.e. the sidebar.

Admittedly I only have one user on my MBP so the need is pretty rare but even still why do you need to access /Users anyway?
post #56 of 70
Two Mac's, a current gen Mini and a 2012 27" iMac. Both updated completely with "back to my Mac" enabled and the user folders are there. It must be a bug as it doesn't seem to be a problem for everyone.
post #57 of 70

Hi all

In my case if i go to my HDD icon, MYHOME is gone.  On to GO. my home folder is there. I check the th back to my mac, and it is deactivated.

I call a few friends of mine, and some have the home folder inside the hdd icon other not.

It is interesting to find out the why, since all my friends have different mac. Mine is late 2011 i7 13inch macbook pro, with a clean installation when 10.9 was release. and I am running apps for passwords and hidden 

but still interesting.

post #58 of 70

I just installed an SSD for my early 2011 macbook pro and reinstalled everything from scratch.  Used the 10.9.3 installer and users folder was there as usual.

post #59 of 70

interesting these issue since my friend make a combo install instead of making a normal upgrade.

let see the outcome

post #60 of 70
Quote:

Did you install iTunes 11.2 and have Find My Mac enabled as noted as requirements for this bug to take effect?

yes yes and yes

BTW, i did the combo install. Maybe thats the difference?

post #61 of 70

There is no permanent solution to this bug at this point in time. There are workarounds, but none that directly address whatever bad code created this problem. I'm leaving it to Apple to provide the permanently solution.

A Summary of the situation from my experience and reading:

1) There are TWO affected folders:

/Users

/Users/Shared

2) The permissions for both of this folders are DAMAGED on affected volumes. Repairing them does NOT solve the problem.

3) The terminal commands to make /Users AND /Users/Shared visible are only temporary. The folders disappear again with the next reboot.

4) I've watched an UNaffected volume decide to become AFFECTED with a reboot, having no idea why.

5) The 'Find My Mac' fix, including the reboot, has NOT worked for me at all. Kirk McElhearn found it did work, so huh?

6) I still have no comprehension why anyone brought iTunes 11.2 into the situation unless it was part of the cause. It doesn't apparently have anything to do with the solution that I can find.

7) There is a set of chmod commands, used to change the affected folder's permissions, that is reported to fix the problem. The method is fairly complex, well beyond an newbie or granny user's capabilities or comprehension. You can read about this workaround under David Helms' comment at Kirk McElhearn's blog article:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/bring-back-the-hidden-users-folder-in-os-x-10-9-3/

8) There is an AppleScript workaround that I do NOT recommend as it involves inputting your admin password, a VERY bad idea.

HEY APPLE: Your turn! Fix this ASAP please. This is seriously annoying.

post #62 of 70
Quote:

yes yes and yes

BTW, i did the combo install. Maybe thats the difference?

To make things even more complicated: I used the COMBO update on two partitions on the same drive. ONE caught the bug. The other did NOT. Then, while trying to troubleshoot the affected partition, a restart caused the unaffected partition to become AFFECTED. Not kidding. Lunacy. I've documented a summary of other odds and ends below.

post #63 of 70

I agree with repairing permissions before and after an update.

HOWEVER: It did NOT stop this bug in my case. I ended up with one affected partition and one unaffected on the same hard drive. Then I later watched the unaffected partition become affected. There was no logic as to why.

OF INTEREST: When I repaired permissions on the affected partition after installation, BOTH /Users & /Users/Shared had bad permissions, a clear indicator that bad permissions is involved. But repairing those partitions, at least using DiskUtility, did NOT solve the problem. I'm wondering if this permissions problem goes down to the level of ACLs.

post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCurrie View Post

HEY APPLE: Your turn! Fix this ASAP please. This is seriously annoying.

Here's my solution...

I created the following script…

#!/bin/sh
chflags   nohidden   /Users   /Users/Shared
chmod   755   /Users
chmod   +t   /Users/Shared

saved it as “.fix” in my home directory, then in the terminal, set it as an executable and hook it to the login window…

$ chmod 755 .fix
$ sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook “/Users/mjtomlin/.fix”

This script is run as root by the login system (even of auto-login is on), no need to enter a password to make it work.

:)

post #65 of 70

My crushingly unsophisticated workaround:

cd

ln -s /Users .

This creates a symlink in my home directory to the invisible directory. Note that I can move this symlink to my Desktop, my Dock, etc.

Note: it appears that iTunes 11.2.1 resolves the missing Users directory issue though, so I can toss my symlink into the Trash now.

Edited by mpantone - 5/16/14 at 8:16pm
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is it a bug or was it intentional?

I'd expect it to show up under the Go menu with Option key held, if intentional, like the ~Library.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #67 of 70
Quote:

And it's available with Software Update or the link below…

post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post

Totally wrong. The fix isn't permanent, and the alias fix doesn't work. If anyone had bothered to try it, they would know it doesn't work.

When you go to /Users, a window opens showing the CONTENTS of the Users folder, not the folder itself. When control-click the icon for Users at the top of the Window, you don't get the option to make an alias.

This is also true if you add Users to the Sidebar or the Dock; you don't get an option to make an alias with either of those.

BUT...you can hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys, and while keeping them held down, drag the Users icon from the top of the window to your Desktop, and an alias will be made there.

Of course, if you then try to move that alias to the root level of your hard drive, you'll get the error message "[t]he item 'Users' can't be replaced because it's invisible."

It sure would be nice if Macrumors and The Loop would check these things before posting them.

New to Macs? Of course you can make an alias after using Go menu.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #69 of 70

And it's available with Software Update or the link below…

And I can confirm it fixes the issue.

post #70 of 70

I also confirm that the itunes update fix it also in my computers.  

Thanks apple.  Did anyone know the issue was about? still odd that some computers did not have the HOME file despair!!!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal