or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens' - Page 2

post #41 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
 

 

 

Privacy?  Data mining?  for what?  Why people still use their real data when dealing with Google?  Just get the free stuff and feed Google with ton of fake info.  Alternate identity is the way to internet security.

I had loads of google emails but the bastards have linked them altogether recently. I hate them.

post #42 of 119

I agree, I don't see the purchase by Google as a bad thing.  I love this app, but it has had a lot of warts and even in the latest iteration works best on large signs, not restaurant menus.   I supported the app by purchasing a number of the add in languages.

 

As for those complaining that they can't or won't be able to purchase - the program and ALL of the add on languages are now FREE in the app store.  So there is no reason not to enjoy the app now.

 

As for why Google purchased this company now?  Well don't strain yourself imagining how this would work in Google Glass...

post #43 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am curious what is so bad about Google buying this. So far whenever Google makes an acquisition they either improve it or merge it into an all ready existing product. I prefer Google buying things like this because I know the app can still be used by all of my friends regardless of is. When apple buys an app its almost certain thing that app or service will go apple only.
Google is only after any data they can scour from it. It will only be available to those willing to sell their souls to Google.
post #44 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post


I am curious what is so bad about Google buying this. So far whenever Google makes an acquisition they either improve it or merge it into an all ready existing product. I prefer Google buying things like this because I know the app can still be used by all of my friends regardless of is. When apple buys an app its almost certain thing that app or service will go apple only.

Are you sure ?

iOS - Android

Safari - Google Chrome

App Store - Google Play Store

Siri - Google Now

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #45 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.
Ok....1rolleyes.gif
post #46 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This app is pretty cool. I remember downloading the demo of it when it came out a while back.

I just downloaded it again and grabbed all of the language packs for free, just in case. You never know when you'll end up in some foreign country and need to translate strange signs.

Why didn't Apple buy this? What's more impressive, this or a pair of urban headphones? 1rolleyes.gif

The rumored deal is supposed to be about enhancing Apple's music streaming and match services. It's one of their core businesses: the company is the largest online music seller. Last thing you want to see is headlines about Apple's music business falling prey to new subscription streaming services (it's already happening).

Your disdain for Beats is not about the headphones, is it?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #47 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
 
Google is only after any data they can scour from it. It will only be available to those willing to sell their souls to Google.

Has anyone ever proven that Google data mining has harmed anyone or that they have actually sold anyone's personal information?

 

Serious question because I have never read any credible evidence to that effect, just haters crying from the roof tops that it is a known fact.

 

Not to argue that they aren't sneaky like when they defeated Safari's cookie blocker or snooped inside unsecured wifi while street mapping. But seriously that just makes Apple programmers look inept and people with no password or encryption on their wifi as fools.  No question that Google is a data addict but have they actually harmed anyone because of it? I have used a lot of their services for more than a decade and I can't identity one issue that could be attributed to Google's misappropriating my data.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #48 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post
 

And here I was thinking about downloading this app, now that Google got it's ugly paws on it, no way. Shame, was looking like a useful app to have.

 

You want to download it now, before the google version is released.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #49 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


My iPhone is becoming less and less useful to me. That's what my problem is. All the useful stuff will be on Android, not on iPhone. iPhone will be just another Vertu: an expensive phone that looks amazing but has horrible functionalities and people will be buying it not for features but because it's a status symbol.

 

Buy an Android phone and be done, with it,

post #50 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Was going to download this.

 

Not now.

Yep!

 

But ... I am sure someone has started working on similar App! ;)

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #51 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

Has anyone ever proven that Google data mining has harmed anyone or that they have actually sold anyone's personal information?

 

Serious question because I have never read any credible evidence to that effect, just haters crying from the roof tops that it is a known fact.

 

Not to argue that they aren't sneaky like when they defeated Safari's cookie blocker or snooped inside unsecured wifi while street mapping. But seriously that just makes Apple programmers look inept and people with no password or encryption on their wifi as fools.  No question that Google is a data addict but have they actually harmed anyone because of it? I have used a lot of their services for more than a decade and I can't identity one issue that could be attributed to Google's misappropriating my data.

 

If you are happy with Google signup to all of their free/Ad services, that aren't really free. Ad revenue companies are like used car salesman not to be trusted ever. (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter)


Edited by Danox - 5/17/14 at 1:07pm
post #52 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The rumored deal is supposed to be about enhancing Apple's music streaming and match services. It's one of their core businesses: the company is the largest online music seller. Last thing you want to see is headlines about Apple's music business falling prey to new subscription streaming services (it's already happening).

Your disdain for Beats is not about the headphones, is it?
Google has a Spotify competitor that supposedly is quite good. As far as we know they didn't need to spend $3B to create it. I still don't know why Apple does. But perhaps the longer we go without confirmation the more likely it is this deal feel through or it won't be a large acquisition but a partnership or something else that isn't $3B.
post #53 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post
 

Great, now there's zero good translation apps on App Store. All that's left are useless dictionary apps. 

 

When I traveled to Japan, I bought an Android phone so I could use Google Goggles and real-time translation (Word Lens didn't even support Japanese).

 

But don't worry guys, Timmy 'T.Diddy' Cook has bought fashion accessories company for $3.2 BILLION and he also bought the sapphire glass factory. Soon, our iPhones will be fashion accessories with nothing really useful on them because Google will buy up all the good/important stuff.

 

Tim Cook = Steve Ballmer.

 

You're either too ignorant or too young to know Tim Cook is nothing near the blunders that is Steve Ballmer's legacy. The Beats acquisition will turn out to be a big win for Apple, but not for their headphones.

post #54 of 119
I worked for a startup a few months ago. Usually, one of their big goals is TO be bought up. That's quite often their reason for being.
post #55 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're either too ignorant or too young to know Tim Cook is nothing near the blunders that is Steve Ballmer's legacy. The Beats acquisition will turn out to be a big win for Apple, but not for their headphones.

You're delusional. They could have bought all of Warner for $3billion. $3.2 billion for a crappy streaming app that anyone can replicate + 2 BS peddling snake oil salesmen? Give me a break.

No one can even figure out why Apple would buy Beats. And especially not for that ridiculous price.

Tim Cook's moving Apple into luxury fashion direction.
post #56 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Buy an Android phone and be done, with it,

Google's evil and I don't want to give away my privacy to that evil company.
post #57 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

My iPhone is becoming less and less useful to me. That's what my problem is. All the useful stuff will be on Android, not on iPhone. iPhone will be just another Vertu: an expensive phone that looks amazing but has horrible functionalities and people will be buying it not for features but because it's a status symbol.

So you're concerned about having future Android envy?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #58 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post
 

Great, now there's zero good translation apps on App Store. All that's left are useless dictionary apps. 

 

When I traveled to Japan, I bought an Android phone so I could use Google Goggles and real-time translation (Word Lens didn't even support Japanese).

 

But don't worry guys, Timmy 'T.Diddy' Cook has bought fashion accessories company for $3.2 BILLION and he also bought the sapphire glass factory. Soon, our iPhones will be fashion accessories with nothing really useful on them because Google will buy up all the good/important stuff.

 

Tim Cook = Steve Ballmer.

Why would Apple buy an app that doesn't hold any patents? you need take good look back on Apple - Google history, Tim Cock has done a great job with Apple acquisitions like Siri, Touch ID and more, on other hand Google (except their search engine) nada! also is just a rumor that Apple acquired the headphones company for 3.2 billion 


Edited by iMember - 5/16/14 at 3:07pm

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #59 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Has anyone ever proven that Google data mining has harmed anyone or that they have actually sold anyone's personal information?

Have you read their terms and conditions? They will surrender data collected on you to any law enforcement agency as long as it is legal in that agency's jurisdiction. Do you need to "prove harm" before you decide your privacy rights matter?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Why would Apple buy an app that doesn't hold any patents? you need take good look back on Apple - Google history, Tim Cock has done a great job with Apple acquisitions like Siri, Touch ID and more, on other hand Google (except their search engine) nada! also is just a rumor that Apple acquired the headphones company for 3.2 billion 

Patents? Patents are useless. Samsung copied iPhone and iOS which were under 100+ patents and what has that done to them? $120 million fine.

Samsung built millions of phones and raked in BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of revenue by copying Apple and for a measly cost of $120 million.

LAUGHABLE!

Patents are for idiots. They don't stop anything. Android's bigger than ever.
post #61 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So you're concerned about having future Android envy?

Future? I already have Android envy because it has Google Goggles and iOS has nothing.
post #62 of 119
Hey chumps, the app is still available as of today. It's really not all that great, is very flickery even when up close on very simple fonts and the use cases are very limited. I'm surprised Google couldn't figure out how to do this in house. Also, Google is not evil, they're just willing to spend a premium to buy these creative upstarts who've sold themselves so they can get paid!! I now see we have a developer whose found how to run iOS apps on Android "natively"......Apple would never do the same & should be very concerned about the ongoing strength of the App Store.
post #63 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Has anyone ever proven that Google data mining has harmed anyone or that they have actually sold anyone's personal information?

Have you read their terms and conditions? They will surrender data collected on you to any law enforcement agency as long as it is legal in that agency's jurisdiction. Do you need to "prove harm" before you decide your privacy rights matter?

All American companies are equally vulnerable on this account. Stop being naive ! 

post #64 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Have you read their terms and conditions? They will surrender data collected on you to any law enforcement agency as long as it is legal in that agency's jurisdiction.

And Apple doesn't?
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/519903/20131106/apple-inc-government-requests-devices.htm

...or Microsoft or Yahoo or Dropbox or...

There was an article detailing how Apple will handle future user data requests from law enforcement and/or courts just a few days ago here at AI. I don't know that Google's conditions for complying with legal requests are any different from Apple.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179198/apple-lays-down-guidelines-for-government-data-requests-in-new-document
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/16/14 at 4:10pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #65 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're either too ignorant or too young to know Tim Cook is nothing near the blunders that is Steve Ballmer's legacy. The Beats acquisition will turn out to be a big win for Apple, but not for their headphones.
A big win for Apple? That certainly remains to be seen. And I remain highly skeptical it's worthy anything near $3.2B, especially when Beats reportedly only paid $10M for MOG.
post #66 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


Patents? Patents are useless. Samsung copied iPhone and iOS which were under 100+ patents and what has that done to them? $120 million fine.

Samsung built millions of phones and raked in BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of revenue by copying Apple and for a measly cost of $120 million.

LAUGHABLE!

Patents are for idiots. They don't stop anything. Android's bigger than ever.

I do agree with you, patents are useless thanks to US goverment! but my point was why all the fuzz? someone will just make a similar app and release it on App Store, everybody is happy except for Google because they paid money for something they could had it for free!, and i disagree Apple will rise and Android will fall, the people are not stupid. 

I live in Spain, here a 300 euros iPhone is like free bread 

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #67 of 119
Perhaps apple is working on it's own version of camera based symbol recognition. You can redeem an iTunes card with the camera already, it images the numbers right off the card. It wouldn't be too hard to expand the function to include words.
post #68 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

I do agree with you, patents are useless thanks to US goverment! but my point was why all the fuzz? someone will just make a similar app and release it on App Store, everybody is happy except for Google because they paid money for something they could had it for free!, and i disagree Apple will rise and Android will fall, the people are not stupid. 
I live in Spain, here a 300 euros iPhone is like free bread 

Word Lens is not something trivial that someone can replicate easily. It can take years to just create a good translation engine and it takes a while to write a good image recognition engine that can work in real time. If it were easy, we would have seen Chinese/Indian-made clones by now. Games, To-Do apps, Text Editors is what's easy and most prevalent in the App Store. Hard apps is what's rare. And Google's buying them up.
post #69 of 119
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


The rumored deal is supposed to be about enhancing Apple's music streaming and match services. It's one of their core businesses: the company is the largest online music seller. Last thing you want to see is headlines about Apple's music business falling prey to new subscription streaming services (it's already happening).

Your disdain for Beats is not about the headphones, is it?

 

I haven't liked Beats since I first heard about them some years ago.

 

Beats enhanced audio that was included on some Android phones was just a cheap gimmick, and I've never liked their headphones. They were made by Monster for the longest time, and I've never had any kind things to say about Monster either.

 

I don't have any issues with the streaming part of the deal, I just wish that the hardware part would disappear.

 

Imagine if there was a product that you've always disliked, and then all of a sudden you find out that it's about to be bought up by a company that you really like. 

 

If it's the streaming service that is really desirable, then I wish that Apple could just buy out the streaming service and incorporate it under the Apple/iTunes umbrella, and tell Beats that they can keep their brand and their headphones, and then Apple wouldn't have to pay any ridiculous 3.2 Billion either.

post #70 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavrojames View Post

It's really not all that great, is very flickery even when up close on very simple fonts and the use cases are very limited. 

 

It was good enough for Apple to include in their commercials, though I doubt that we'll see it in any future Apple commercials.:lol: 

post #71 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Google Translate doesn't have image recognition.
The Android version does have image recognition, it isn't real time like this app but it does have it. The iOS version unfortunately not yet.
http://i2.wp.com/techloverhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Welcome-to-Google-Translate-Android-App.jpg
post #72 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I already own the app, so getting the rest of the language packs for free is a bonus for me. Coincidently, I was just thinking about buying one yesterday, so even better.


Don't like it in the hands of Google as it will just become another data mining tool but for now, free is free.
Does it work for you? Wrote casa & abuela on a piece of paper & didn't work, maybe spelled them wrong?
post #73 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post


Does it work for you? Wrote casa & abuela on a piece of paper & didn't work, maybe spelled them wrong?

 

It works. Point it at printed text, that would work a lot better than you writing some words on a piece of paper.

post #74 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

The Android version does have image recognition, it isn't real time like this app but it does have it. The iOS version unfortunately not yet.
http://i2.wp.com/techloverhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Welcome-to-Google-Translate-Android-App.jpg

iOS version doesn't and it never did. I'm guessing that's on purpose 1frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It was good enough for Apple to include in their commercials, though I doubt that we'll see it in any future Apple commercials.lol.gif  

Google will kill the iOS version. That's why they bought it. Google Goggles is much better than Word Lens and Google Translate is not a joke like Word Lens' translation engine. Google just wants to dominate a certain area and they're killing off competition and making sure no one can get a leg-up by buying that competition.
post #75 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Google Translate doesn't have image recognition.
The Android version does have image recognition, it isn't real time like this app but it does have it. The iOS version unfortunately not yet.
http://i2.wp.com/techloverhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Welcome-to-Google-Translate-Android-App.jpg

There is a way to do it on iOS aside from Word Lens. There is an app called FunOCR. It links to your Google Docs account and uses Google OCR in the background. It is not real time either but it can use the camera or the camera roll. It works ok but you have to copy and paste into Translate and I don't think Google OCR recognizes Japanese either, at least I was unable to make it work. The OCR accuracy is a little iffy too.

 

You know who has amazing OCR, is Adobe. With Acrobat Pro it converts scanned text to real text beautifully and it is automatic keeping the original layout of the scanned document but that is desktop only.


Edited by mstone - 5/16/14 at 5:54pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #76 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post
 
If you are happy with Google signup to all of their free/Ad services, that aren't really free. Ad revenue companies are like used car salesman not to trusted ever. (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter)

I only use the services that are useful to me. No point in signing up for everything. I am signed up for Ad Sense and Google writes me a check every month.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #77 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is a way to do it on iOS aside from Word Lens. There is an app called FunOCR. It links to your Google Docs account and uses Google OCR in the background. It is not real time either but it can use the camera or the camera roll. It works ok but you have to copy and paste into Translate and I don't think Google OCR recognizes Japanese either, at least I was unable to make it work. The OCR accuracy is a little iffy too.

You know who has amazing OCR, is Adobe. With Acrobat Pro it converts scanned text to real text beautifully and it is automatic but that is desktop only.
Nice little work around 1smile.gif. Would love to see them add the feature to the iOS app though.
post #78 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Future? I already have Android envy because it has Google Goggles and iOS has nothing.

That is what I thought. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #79 of 119

I thought I would do a little time travel. 

 

This was sort of the consensus of the day in late 2006.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think that Apple, Google, and Sun should merge, or that Apple and Google should merge, and then buy Sun (it's cheap!).

That would be a powerful combination.

Both OS X and Solaris are based on Unix, they could be merged, with the Mac GUI, and Suns' file system. Google would add the online software presence, search, and entry point. The company would then range between fairly inexpensive home machines and the largest business and government servers, all running the same OS, with Suns' enterprise and government sales group selling them into those markets.

There are other synergies between the three that I'm not mentioning, that I'm sure others can come up with.

This would be the only true threat to MS that there can be now. No one else can compete with them anymore on all levels, and markets, as this one would.

I know some will shrink at this idea, but I really think it is a good one.
 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/68961/neeham-sees-macs-capturing-8-3-pc-share-by-2016/40#post_1003321

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #80 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post
 

Great, now there's zero good translation apps on App Store. All that's left are useless dictionary apps. 

 

When I traveled to Japan, I bought an Android phone so I could use Google Goggles and real-time translation (Word Lens didn't even support Japanese).

 

But don't worry guys, Timmy 'T.Diddy' Cook has bought fashion accessories company for $3.2 BILLION and he also bought the sapphire glass factory. Soon, our iPhones will be fashion accessories with nothing really useful on them because Google will buy up all the good/important stuff.

 

Tim Cook = Steve Ballmer.

 

This post is stupider than the average stupidity of your posts, which is quite an accomplishment. There's a shitload of great translation apps on the appstore- so what the **** are you going on about. Also, you don't have the faintest clue- you honestly think they plan to use sapphire to "bling" up devices? You don't think they just MAY have some fucntional and far-reaching applications for it? Oh, and they didn't buy them- they invested in them. Get your fucking facts straight. Also, nothing has been confirmed yet as far as Beats yet, and even if it was, you still don't have the faintest clue of Apple's motivations- which clearly were not made on a whim. What a garbage-laden, fact-less post filled with your usual trollish drivel. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'