or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens' - Page 3

post #81 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I thought I would do a little time travel. 

 

This was sort of the consensus of the day in late 2006.

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/68961/neeham-sees-macs-capturing-8-3-pc-share-by-2016/40#post_1003321

 

..How quickly things change. 

post #82 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This post is stupider than the average stupidity of your posts, which is quite an accomplishment. There's a shitload of great translation apps on the appstore- so what the **** are you going on about. Also, you don't have the faintest clue- you honestly think they plan to use sapphire to "bling" up devices? You don't think they just MAY have some fucntional and far-reaching applications for it? Oh, and they didn't buy them- they invested in them. Get your fucking facts straight. Also, nothing has been confirmed yet as far as Beats yet, and even if it was, you still don't have the faintest clue of Apple's motivations- which clearly were not made on a whim. What a garbage-laden, fact-less post filled with your usual trollish drivel. 

This post is the dumbest reply yet! (see, I can play that game too). You simply have no clue about translation or translation apps. Almost all of the apps in the App Store are DICTIONARIES! Do you know how hard it is to find something when you don't even know how to enter text into it because you can't write chinese/japanese characters?

Besides Word Lens, THERE IS NOTHING IN THE APP STORE THAT DOES AUTOMATIC TRANSLATION of writing just based on a camera pic you take!

As for sapphire, have you scratched your Gorilla Glass yet? How about an even stronger Gorilla Glass 2? Unless you carry diamond bits in your pocket, you didn't. So why should I care about sapphire? I do care about practical stuff… like, you know, NOT GETTING LOST IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY because I can't speak the language and because Apple Maps are UTTER CRAP.

But Tim Cook doesn't care about trivial stuff like that.
post #83 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I thought I would do a little time travel. 

 

This was sort of the consensus of the day in late 2006.

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/68961/neeham-sees-macs-capturing-8-3-pc-share-by-2016/40#post_1003321

 

..How quickly things change. 

Yes and the things people are saying today will be just as ridiculous 10 years from now.


Edited by mstone - 5/16/14 at 8:11pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #84 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.

Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #85 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

Does it work for you? Wrote casa & abuela on a piece of paper & didn't work, maybe spelled them wrong?

Yeah it works pretty well for me. It was never design for handwriting or even normally sized typesets on paper. It's meant for signs. I've tried it with books and it works but because of so many works it's always flipping back and forth between translated and non. But for signs and large type it works well.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #86 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?

I'm judging the guy based on his priorities and comparing his leadership to the leadership of other tech CEOs. If you compare what Cook is buying and what Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg are buying, you can see a clear difference. Cook is hiring fashion and luxury goods people and is buying fashion accessories companies while Page/Zuckerberg are hiring technology people and are buying deep technology companies.

That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.
post #87 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Instead of bitching and moaning about Google, you should be lamenting the fact that Apple lacked the foresight to buy such a potentially transformative app and integrate it into their own operating system. Apple looked at it and only saw a neat commercial.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for Apple to buy it when they don't have translation services to bolster.
post #88 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


Future? I already have Android envy because it has Google Goggles and iOS has nothing.

 

It's obvious that Google Goggles makes your dick hard for some reason, but I don't know a damn person who even uses it. I tried it a couple times when I was messing around, and it seemed completely useless- was much quicker to type in what I was looking for instead of relying on some unreliable image recognition. Also, Google Goggles is integrated into the Google Search iOS app, so what the **** are you talking about? Since you have so much enby for Android, why can't you shut the **** up and buy an Android device instead of trolling every thread here with your bullshit?

 

And apparently you're scared of getting "lost" without WordLens- miraculously, even though nobody seems to use that app, travellers seem to manage not to get lost. Word Lens has been on the appstore for AGES- it created some noise when it first launched, then- Nothing. I haven't heard anything about it since this news, it hasn't been anywhere NEAR the top charts, and it looks like an ancient app- the developers couldnt even be bothered to visually update it. If it was such a stunning piece of work- as you claim- it would have been scooped up ages ago. I deleted it myself, because it was unreliable, gimmicky, and I felt like an idiot pointing my phone at things. But suddenly, Apple made the most epic mistake not purchasing this app that noone gives a shit about? Tone down your trolling- and try to manage to not bump into walls without needing to look through a damn screen all the time to figure out where you're going. The rest of us seem to manage to do so fine. You clearly despise Apple going by all your other posts on this forum, so stop pretending to be a disappointed Apple-fan- It's pathetic.

post #89 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?

I'm judging the guy based on his priorities and comparing his leadership to the leadership of other tech CEOs. If you compare what Cook is buying and what Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg are buying, you can see a clear difference. Cook is hiring fashion and luxury goods people and is buying fashion accessories companies while Page/Zuckerberg are hiring technology people and are buying deep technology companies.

That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.

I agree you have the right to disagree with what Tim Cook does and says but calling him an idiot because you disagree with him is a bit much and implies that almost anyone, including you, could do better. In your comparison of Cook to Page and Zuckerberg you mention only fashion and luxury goods for Cook neglecting to mention or consider some of the other companies Apple has purchased 2011: Anobit... 2012: AuthenTec... 2013: Novauris Technologies, WiFiSlam, Locationary, HopStop.comPassif Semiconductor, Matcha, Embark, AlgoTrim, CuePrimeSenseTopsyBroadMap, Catch.com, SnappyLabs, Burstly, 2014: LuxVue Technology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple

 

PS Don't bother replying. I blocked you so I no longer have to see your baseless and factless posts.


Edited by Realistic - 5/16/14 at 10:19pm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #90 of 119


All valid points.
Quote:
PS Don't bother replying. I blocked you so I no longer have to see your baseless and factless posts.

The only problem is that if you signed up to receive emails on updates from this site you too will get likely get "replies in your inbox from people this dumb".
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #91 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post


Privacy?  Data mining?  for what?  Why people still use their real data when dealing with Google?  Just get the free stuff and feed Google with ton of fake info.  Alternate identity is the way to internet security.

How ? You can't be completly anonymous on the internet these days... Only thing you can do is to stop using any google services and instal ad block+ never click on those adds that will pass. In a matter of weeks most of the ad's you will see when you turn off the ad block will be crap of type "70 year woman looks like 40 ! Do you want to know how she did that ? >>CLICK HERE<<" or "thermal isolation for your family house + phasade for 1$"

Yes now advertisers don't know anything about me and I like that.

And BTW I think the Ad's on the internet are just a big bubble that can burst at any time, just ask yourselfs, when you bought something from an internet Ad last time and how many Ad's you clicked and then went back to your previous site ?
post #92 of 119

...and there is nothing wrong with things being 'Apple only', so far.

post #93 of 119
"Estrada desmoronada. Desvio..." is not Galician, it's Portuguese. It's kinda ironic one should get such a thing wrong, alongside mistakingly quoting it as "desmoronado", in an article precisely about translation. It reveals the depth at which a person's thinking is working which the article was written with.
post #94 of 119

woah, lotsa 'members' to block today... :/

post #95 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 
Was going to download this.

Not now.

That's ok, I'll download it for you. So will many others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

 
Good-bye word lens.  Don't you love how Google buys up everything cool?

I don't want Apple to buy up companies just to protect them, but it seems like the only way to prevent Google or Facebook or some other company from snatching them up.

I just pisses me off that cool tech companies doing neat stuff end up being owned by Companies whose products and services I don't want to touch with a ten-foot pole.  I mean now what? I'll never get to use Nest, or WordLense, or Occulus Rift.  Like, F-off big goliathes that I hate.

So you are saying no other company is supposed to buy other companies except for Apple? Apple is the only company allowed to make products? 

No; he's saying that Google are a special case—nutcase, if you like, in their instance.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #96 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

 
I thought I would do a little time travel. 

This was sort of the consensus of the day in late 2006.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/68961/neeham-sees-macs-capturing-8-3-pc-share-by-2016/40#post_1003321

..How quickly things change. 
Yes and the things people are saying today will be just as ridiculous 10 years from now.

Your comment is ridiculous today, just as it will be in 100 years' time.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #97 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.
Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

Quite. Too many Cooks spoil the broth.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #98 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?

I'm judging the guy based on his priorities and comparing his leadership to the leadership of other tech CEOs. If you compare what Cook is buying and what Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg are buying, you can see a clear difference. Cook is hiring fashion and luxury goods people and is buying fashion accessories companies while Page/Zuckerberg are hiring technology people and are buying deep technology companies.

That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.

You need to fight the devil—you are full of lies.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #99 of 119
I just downloaded it and while it would have been even better if it had supported non-Roman languages, I think this is an incredible app and I don't care who owns it. Seeing as even the in-app purchases are currently free, it's even better.

My only concern about using Google-owned apps is the personal information they collect. And if Google stopped it from working on iOS devices and instead made it part of Android, obviously that would be a bad thing for iOS users.

But you can't blame the developers. Someone (anyone) walks in and offers you a lifetime of riches for your one app, you're going to take the deal.

I may not "like" Google or Microsoft, but if I need/want their apps, then I want/their apps. It's acting like a three-year-old to play the spite game.
post #100 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

PS Don't bother replying. I blocked you so I no longer have to see your baseless and factless posts.

What an immense butthurt!
post #101 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You need to fight the devil—you are full of lies.

Care to name these lies? It's easy just to throw around silly accusations.
post #102 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I just downloaded it and while it would have been even better if it had supported non-Roman languages, I think this is an incredible app and I don't care who owns it. Seeing as even the in-app purchases are currently free, it's even better.

My only concern about using Google-owned apps is the personal information they collect. And if Google stopped it from working on iOS devices and instead made it part of Android, obviously that would be a bad thing for iOS users.

But you can't blame the developers. Someone (anyone) walks in and offers you a lifetime of riches for your one app, you're going to take the deal.

I may not "like" Google or Microsoft, but if I need/want their apps, then I want/their apps. It's acting like a three-year-old to play the spite game.

You should care who owns them because Google kills off things it buys! Remember Sparrow and number of other iOS/Mac apps that Google bought and killed off.
post #103 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

I know that if I was the CEO of Apple, I wouldn't buy makers of garbage headphones for ghetto/urban kids. And certainly not for $3.2 billion.


Yes, Tim Cook is horrible and he's the next Steve Ballmer… a non-technical executive who messed up once-great company.
post #104 of 119
Did this utility suddenly stop working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was going to download this.

Not now.
post #105 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Did this utility suddenly stop working?


He hates anything associated with Google. That said it seems like a really neat app.

post #106 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


I know that if I was the CEO of Apple, I wouldn't buy makers of garbage headphones for ghetto/urban kids. And certainly not for $3.2 billion.


Yes, Tim Cook is horrible and he's the next Steve Ballmer… a non-technical executive who messed up once-great company.

I will wait until you eat your word.  It shows that the average joe can't run Apple.  No vision.  And you can't hide that racist tone can you?  Ghetto/urban?  

 

This is 1 good app in a sea of great apps in the App store.  Apple can't go and buy every single app just as a defensive move so others can't snatch them up.  What would Apple do with the app?  You know they have no interest in going into the search business?  As long as they provide a great app store, more and more transformative apps will appear including Google's apps.  

post #107 of 119
I've tried using this several times over the past three years. Once you get past the wow factor, it's never worked well enough to be useful.
post #108 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post


That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?

That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.

 

No, but if you had a  ounce of humility, knowledge, or perspective- taking into account Cook's impressive accomplishment throughout his career- then you wouldn't go so far as calling him "an idiot", even if you have to disagree with any particular decisions he's made (if he's even made those decisions, since all your hate is focused on a rumored acquisition, and generalizing Cook's entire existence based on this rumor). Most people have a bit more class and insight than calling someone like Tim Cook, who SJ sought fit to appint as Apple's CEO, and who has dramatically increased Apple's success during his tenure, an "idiot". 

post #109 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

All American companies are equally vulnerable on this account. Stop being naive ! 

I didn't claim otherwise. I am well aware of the current sad state of "privacy" policies. I was trying to point out to @mstone that just because it can't be shown that Google hasn't sold your data doesn't mean it hasn't been shared with whatever government wants to see it as long as that government has a legal loophole that permits surveillance. I was responding to him, and he was talking about Google, but I am aware this applies to Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, etc.
Quote:

I am aware of that already. But thanks for the requisite "but but but Apple does it too!" post. I expected nothing less from you 1wink.gif
Anyone else interested in the online privacy topic should watch this documentary (it's on Netflix): http://tacma.net

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #110 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Did this utility suddenly stop working?

For what it's worth: Now that this app is free it also is deemed a "demo" app when you go to download the language packs... yeah, a "free" demo app now. It's effectively had its balls cut off. A better solution from a different developer must be in the wings... Google just bought another dead end product.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #111 of 119
Hmmm. Here's one for thought:

What would be better? If Apple bought Google or if Google bought Apple?
post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Hmmm. Here's one for thought:

What would be better? If Apple bought Google or if Google bought Apple?

Obviously Apple buying Google would be better. They could shut the company down and give the money to the shareholders.

Or together, they could create the singularity. This will consist of a self-driving android wearing Google Glasses that watches films, listens to music, creates music, worships God, watches tv, reads your favourite websites, does your errands, argues, has sex, looks after your family and pets, carries out charitable works and goes on holiday for you so you don't have to.

Your reminders are permanently empty and you have no more need to do anything, say anything, to think or to feel.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #113 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


Obviously Apple buying Google would be better. They could shut the company down and give the money to the shareholders.
 

I wouldn't necessarily call that a good outcome. It's also a waste of money, and it's once again unlikely that the DOJ would approve of such an acquisition. The same would be true for Google buying Apple.

post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Obviously Apple buying Google would be better. They could shut the company down and give the money to the shareholders.

 
I wouldn't necessarily call that a good outcome. It's also a waste of money, and it's once again unlikely that the DOJ would approve of such an acquisition. The same would be true for Google buying Apple.

Not for a minute do I think Apple should buy Google; I was simply answering the other poster's question. Apple and Googles’ cultures don’t mix; Apple has one of excellence and Google one of shoddiness and theft.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #115 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

shoddiness

I like that word, shoddiness.

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #116 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Hmmm. Here's one for thought:

What would be better? If Apple bought Google or if Google bought Apple?

The best choice is for them to remain independent entities that cooperate. Google's strengths are not Apple's and vice versa. It was great when they worked together: they pretty much wiped out Microsoft. But, to paraphrase Steve Jobs: "we didn't enter the search business."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #117 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The best choice is for them to remain independent entities that cooperate. Google's strengths are not Apple's and vice versa. It was great when they worked together: they pretty much wiped out Microsoft. But, to paraphrase Steve Jobs: "we didn't enter the search business."

You could also paraphrase Mr Jobs and say "but we did enter the ad business". That does make tight cooperation a bit more problematic. It's hard to say how much importance Apple is putting on ad revenue as a future driver.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #118 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You could also paraphrase Mr Jobs and say "but we did enter the ad business". That does make tight cooperation a bit more problematic. It's hard to say how much importance Apple is putting on ad revenue as a future driver.

LOL. Nice try. iAd came well after the Google-Apple relationship soured. Steve's quote, which I referenced, is his view on why it soured: because Google decided to compete with Apple in mobile phones, not because Apple decided to compete with Google in advertising.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #119 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. Nice try. iAd came well after the Google-Apple relationship soured. Steve's quote, which I referenced, is his view on why it soured: because Google decided to compete with Apple in mobile phones, not because Apple decided to compete with Google in advertising.

I was paraphrasing just as you were. Steve Jobs made his "we didn't enter the search business" comment in Jan/2010 and could have factually added "but we are entering the ad business" by approaching AdMob in the middle of 2009, about the same time as Schmidt was contemplating resigning from Apple's board.

Really of no matter tho since Apple HAS entered the ad business which makes "makes tight cooperation a bit more problematic. It's hard to say how much importance Apple is putting on ad revenue as a future driver." Just as I said. 1hmm.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/19/14 at 10:41am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'