or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone - Page 5

post #161 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I have no sympathy for this lady. iMessage is a proprietary service. There is no obligation on Apple's part whatsoever to make life easy for people who wish to move their iMessages to another platform. She could have simply used SMS if she wanted to be sure that she could change to another platform with no issues. There was no need for her to use iMessages; it was her choice to.

Does she expect all her iOS apps to work on Android, too?

SHE WAS NOT TRYING TO MOVE iMESSAGES TO ANOTHER PLATFORM. SHE WAS SIMPLY TRYING TO GET THE iMESSAGE SERVER TO RELEASE HER PHONE NUMBER SO THAT iPHONES COULD SEND AN SMS TO HER NON-iOS DEVICE.
I think Mr frost is being deliberately obtuse.
post #162 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's this then:-



Maybe the people who "traded in" the phone should have helped her disable it, after all a "traded in" iPhone is useless unless it is unlinked from iCloud and find my iPhone is switched off.

What makes you think that they didn't? We can't assume what happened, and what didn't happen.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #163 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We can't assume what happened, and what didn't happen.

"Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups" (especially in ICT)
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #164 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I have no sympathy for this lady. iMessage is a proprietary service. There is no obligation on Apple's part whatsoever to make life easy for people who wish to move their iMessages to another platform. She could have simply used SMS if she wanted to be sure that she could change to another platform with no issues. There was no need for her to use iMessages; it was her choice to.

Does she expect all her iOS apps to work on Android, too?
Obviously not. Don't be ridiculous.

As to your other point about Apple having no obligation to help out ex-customers:
1. That's stupid. You don't win customers back by acting like a petty jerk towards them.
2. This ex-customer clearly has at least one friend who is a current customer. And that current customer is also being affected negatively, as their messages are not being delivered.

So, doubly short sighted and petty.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #165 of 178
Have a friend who recently switched away & despite trying to unregister her number with every Apple device the issue persists. Sorry but Apple absolutely needs to fix this and should be able to. All they need to do is provide a page where you login with your apple ID & basically reset associated phone numbers/e-mails. It's been well past 45 days and I still have issues, sorry but that is a load of crap & if it's truly been a known issue since iOS 5 then it would seem a lawsuit is the only way Apple is going to take the problem seriously.

I love my iPhone & would never switch but least I can do is not be so blinded by my affection for Apple that I let them get away with obvious negligence.
post #166 of 178

not correct - when i go there - there is NO DEVICES listed at all  _ i did call tech support and YES they did revoke the certs- but this still has not solved it for everyone of my contacts with an iphone - some got the iphone because its an easy phone but DO NOT want to mess with deleting a contact to re-add one.

 

So after all of the suggestions and all the supposed fixes - i still am not getting some peoples SMS from iphones.

 

Apple needs to address this and i am sure they would - as others suggested its probably harder to fix then not - otherwise they would. Being that its been 2 years and only a minor amount of complaints from the majority of customers -  a lawsuit filed may help bring to apple the attention this needs to be solved.

 

In reply to:

 

"Originally Posted by leighr View Post

In case you didn't see the post above, there is a simple way. Use a computer that is connected to the internet to go tohttps://supportprofile.apple.com/ and log in with your Apple ID, then deactivate your old phone. Quite simple really, and quicker and cheaper than a court case"

post #167 of 178
boo hooo hoo my new pacifier doesn't taste the same as my old one ,arghhhhhhhhhhh, and its all your fault. you owe me. ITS SOOO PATHETIC

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.



 Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung



 



Reply

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.



 Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung



 



Reply
post #168 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

ITS SOOO PATHETIC
The a Apple apologism and refusal to accept that they're in error? Sure is.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #169 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

boo hooo hoo my new pacifier doesn't taste the same as my old one ,arghhhhhhhhhhh, and its all your fault. you owe me. ITS SOOO PATHETIC


Take your trolling elsewhere sir.

post #170 of 178
I have never had this problem. I thought everyone knows that in iPhone settings > Messages > Send SMS there is always an option to send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable. This setting is always there as far as I know. Or is this entire different problem?
post #171 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I think Mr frost is being deliberately obtuse.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


SHE WAS NOT TRYING TO MOVE iMESSAGES TO ANOTHER PLATFORM. SHE WAS SIMPLY TRYING TO GET THE iMESSAGE SERVER TO RELEASE HER PHONE NUMBER SO THAT iPHONES COULD SEND AN SMS TO HER NON-iOS DEVICE.

 

SolipsismX

 

What are you talking about? It's always there...

iPhone settings >  Messages > Send SMS (send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable).

post #172 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting predicament. The easy answer is to disable the phone number as a viable address option as soon as you log out of iMessage or wipe your device. However, you can also have iMessages go to other devices that use that phone number. Should the system disable that phone number a valid address if, say, if your phone was lost, stolen or broke? What if you have a Mac or iPad but still like to use that phone number as your iMessage address instead of giving out your email address?

Perhaps what Apple needs is an iCloud portal so you can look at and adjust your settings from a Mac/PC. Perhaps also a way on an iPad, for instance, to say "Disconnect this iMessage phone number/email address from all device on my account" for those that have moved to a Post-PC world.

 

A person posted that he got a number from a carrier that originally belonged to someone who had an iPhone.  That poor chap is not getting SMS messages either.  A doctor didn't get SMS messages from a desperate patient who was contemplating suicide.  This is not just some small thing.  This lawsuit may well be just the thing necessary for Apple to finally put some resources into fixing it.  But if there is a serious consequences then a lawsuit may well turn out to be very expensive - not financially (Apple can afford it), but for Apple's reputation. 

 

It really shouldn't be difficult to fix.  The only reason I can think why Apple's not fixing it is hubris.

post #173 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post
 

 

A person posted that he got a number from a carrier that originally belonged to someone who had an iPhone.  That poor chap is not getting SMS messages either.  A doctor didn't get SMS messages from a desperate patient who was contemplating suicide.  This is not just some small thing.  This lawsuit may well be just the thing necessary for Apple to finally put some resources into fixing it.  But if there is a serious consequences then a lawsuit may well turn out to be very expensive - not financially (Apple can afford it), but for Apple's reputation. 

 

It really shouldn't be difficult to fix.  The only reason I can think why Apple's not fixing it is hubris.

 

...and invasion of privacy by accessing people's phone numbers, especially someone who has given up the right to use a number by disconnecting it yet continuing to use it.

 

That sounds like something the police would have to obtain a warrant to look into by approaching the phone company who issued the number and has the previous customer's details.

 

Since when do doctors communicate with patients via SMS?

 

Imagine a wife's reaction if an STD test result popped up in a notification on her husbands phone, or some kids saw daddy's phone with a cancer diagnosis on the screen.

 

See I can make up horror stories too.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #174 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

A person posted that he got a number from a carrier that originally belonged to someone who had an iPhone.  That poor chap is not getting SMS messages either.  A doctor didn't get SMS messages from a desperate patient who was contemplating suicide.  This is not just some small thing.  This lawsuit may well be just the thing necessary for Apple to finally put some resources into fixing it.  But if there is a serious consequences then a lawsuit may well turn out to be very expensive - not financially (Apple can afford it), but for Apple's reputation. 

It really shouldn't be difficult to fix.  The only reason I can think why Apple's not fixing it is hubris.

1) Based on the data you provided that suicide story sounds fake.

2) Why is this issue not yet understood after 5 pages? The issue isn't preventing SMS messages from getting to a phone. It's preventing an iPhone from sending an SMS if the iPhone is being told by the iMessage server that the phone number is a viable iMessage address. To simply call this hubris means you're not understanding the issue.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #175 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Based on the data you provided that suicide story sounds fake.

2) Why is this issue not yet understood after 5 pages? The issue isn't preventing SMS messages from getting to a phone. It's preventing an iPhone from sending an SMS if the iPhone is being told by the iMessage server that the phone number is a viable iMessage address. To simply call this hubris means you're not understanding the issue.

 

I can't find the post where I read that.  When I google it, I get this page :-(  If I find it, I'll link to it.

 

I totally understand the issue.  It's exactly what you said.  Apple is not disassociating the number as an iPhone from its server.  The hubris is Apple not fixing it after 2 years of people complaining about it.  I find us to be an overly litigious society.  But occasionally, this is just the kind of kick a company needs to wake up and fix a problem.

post #176 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

...and invasion of privacy by accessing people's phone numbers, especially someone who has given up the right to use a number by disconnecting it yet continuing to use it.

 

That sounds like something the police would have to obtain a warrant to look into by approaching the phone company who issued the number and has the previous customer's details.

 

Since when do doctors communicate with patients via SMS?

 

Imagine a wife's reaction if an STD test result popped up in a notification on her husbands phone, or some kids saw daddy's phone with a cancer diagnosis on the screen.

 

See I can make up horror stories too.

 

I'm not sure I got the warrant part.  I agree that reusing numbers needs to get fixed by carriers.  eg. my wife keeps getting calls from a collection agency on her mobile number for the person to whom Sprint had previously assigned her number.

 

I don't communicate with doctors on SMS in the US.  I used to with email, but my current doctor has a web based system (an awful one), but perhaps necessitated legally.  But I certainly did when I was in India.

post #177 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Based on the data you provided that suicide story sounds fake.

2) Why is this issue not yet understood after 5 pages? The issue isn't preventing SMS messages from getting to a phone. It's preventing an iPhone from sending an SMS if the iPhone is being told by the iMessage server that the phone number is a viable iMessage address. To simply call this hubris means you're not understanding the issue.

The whole thing sounds fake.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #178 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kee View Post


SolipsismX

What are you talking about? It's always there...
iPhone settings >  Messages > Send SMS (send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable).

That setting is so 'if' you don't have internet access but still have a cellular phone connection your messages app will then default from the 'blue' imessages for applicable numbers to the 'green' for SMS. In no way does this poll the iMessages server to ask. "Are you sure this person still has an iPhone tied to this number?" How would you even think that setting would ask such a thing and why would you think the server wouldn't know this without having another iPhone query it for that info?
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/21/14 at 12:59pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone