or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

1. She buys a the least innovative phone on the market. The galaxy s5.

What she replaced the iPhone with is 100% beside the point.  Apple do not have a right to punish her SMS service for moving to a competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

2. She doesn't even google the stuff.
3. She doesn't contact Apple to remove the number
4.She doesn't restore her phone before trading it in or sign out if her iCloud/iMessage/Facetime
8. She doesn't even check for a fix.
Aside from these being besides the point of there being an issue created by Apple which they do not warn users about, do you have any evidence that any of these points are true?

Plus, 3 demonstrably doesn't work, as per the adampash link posted earlier, 4 seems not to reliably work either from anecdotal evidence, and there is no clear fix.

Quote:

5. Why is she still running iOS 5?
Absolutely irrelevant.  The issue still exists in iOS7.

Quote:

6. Maybe her friends had her number as iPhone under contacts 1smoking.gif
Maybe they did.  So what?  Apple still needs to be smarter when they commandeer a standardised protocol.

Quote:

7. She actually sues them.

Probably the best way to get Apple to pay attention, if the issue has been there since iOS5.  Good on her.

censored

censored

post #42 of 178

You simply uncheck that from your Apple ID.  It's not a security issue since you had all those numbers and emails associated with a single Apple ID.  Set up another one if you have a problem with that arrangement.

post #43 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why? He is nine and using the apps I bought him. I don't want to restore just to go back and download 10GB of the same apps I deleted 30 seconds ago. Why is so difficult for you guys to understand that when you sign out of a service on your phone/PC/tablet the service should stop?! Apple messed up and they need to fix this. It is not a new problem. This was reported two years ago and they haven't done anything about it yet.

If you did delete your iCloud account from your old iPad, you were supposed to sign in with your sons Apple ID. I read in your original post you didn't do that. Your old stuff will still show up until you sign in with a different iCloud account. 

post #44 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think suing is way over the top, but this is a problem for which Apple needs to develop a better solution. It's too easy to be ignorant of the fact that - or to forget that - you need to deactivate iMessage before moving to a different type of phone.

I agree. Can't Apple simply make it an iCloud service where you login to iCloud, click to unregistered whatever devices you no longer have, as well as an option to unregister all your Apple devices from iMessage completely in order to receive SMS? It shouldn't be that hard to do. Even if you want to keep some Apple products (like a Mac) you might want to receive SMS. Not me, of course, I like iMessage.

EDIT: I'm thinking of how you can deauthorize lost or broken Kindles right from Amazon's website as an example of this cloud service done right. You should not have to do it from the device. In some cases, it's impossible.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

If you did delete your iCloud account from your old iPad, you were supposed to sign in with your sons Apple ID. I read in your original post you didn't do that. Your old stuff will still show up until you sign in with a different iCloud account. 

If that's true then it's totally counter-intuitive.  I can delete my iCloud account but all my old iCloud stuff will continue to show up?  Why?  Don't Apple understand the concept of deletion?

Edited by Crowley - 5/16/14 at 3:49pm

censored

censored

post #46 of 178
If undelivered messages are something you can sue over, I'd like to bring class action against mobile service companies for silently dropping countless SMS messages every year. /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If that's true then it's totally counter-intuitive.  I can delete my iCloud account but all my old iCloud stuff will continue to show up?  Why?  Don't Apple understand the concept of deletion?

From my understanding, that's the way it works. I could be wrong though. But I do agree, if you delete your iCloud account from your iOS device, it should remove everything without having to sign in with a different Apple ID or restoring to factory settings. 

post #48 of 178

LOL, I'm just imagining what the tone of this thread would be like if the situation was reversed. ie. a user switching from a Samsung phone to iOS and their text messages were still going to their old phone. What a Google/Samsung bash-fest that would be!

post #49 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I didn't mention that I did sign in to iCloud with my sons account because it is irrelevant. iCloud and iMessage sign in are in two different places. I've been using iPhones since the original and I am also a developer so it is not something I over looked. I spend time researching and it turned out to be a bug with iMessage. Apple support website is full with similar issues.
post #50 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think you might be confusing authorizing computers in this. You don't activate devices for purchases in the same way. The only way a device would still be 'activated' is if you didn't erase it before handing it over. Which is a whole other mess

That doesn't always work. At least it didn't for me.
post #51 of 178
There should be an option in the iCloud.com website to be able to remove email addresses and mobile numbers from iMessage.
post #52 of 178
I left my iphone charging on the outlet then I went for a walk. When I came back the phone was cooked up so I guess I should sue Apple because my iphone didn't make me sufficient aware it was going to happen. I'm seeking $2 million in damages <\s>
post #53 of 178
This is a known issue, Apple also is aware of it but at this moment in time hasn't been able to find a solution. But a lawsuit is way over the top.
post #54 of 178

Offcourse Apple needs fix that!, but that lady has no rights to sue a company over that. Her actions makes me think..she's either on crack or working for Shamesung  

post #55 of 178
No one is ever opted into iMessage automatically. You have to sign in or accept that you want this to happen. If people would read instead of always assuming you should click okay or yes automatically they might know what they are getting into instead of being idiotic
post #56 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

You simply uncheck that from your Apple ID.  It's not a security issue since you had all those numbers and emails associated with a single Apple ID.  Set up another one if you have a problem with that arrangement.

That doesn't always work. It's not as simple as that all the time. 

post #57 of 178

Doesn't Samsung Smart Switch fix this?

Samsung is the one who sells under the false pretence that it's easy to switch.

You can always send a text message to the 20% of your contacts still using iOS* and ask them to add and delete you as a contact, shouldn't cost too much, iMessaging is free, oops text messaging is not free.

*based on bullshit.

Edited by hill60 - 5/16/14 at 5:04pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #58 of 178

Smart Switch is about transferring data, not ensuring that your previous handset hadn't hijacked part of your SMS service.

This problem has nothing to do with Samsung.  Poor form to suggest that it does.

censored

censored

post #59 of 178

I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

post #60 of 178
I fully support this lawsuit 100%. It is completely unethical & illegal that Apple is hijacking people's text messages, just because those people decide to switch to a different phone.

At the very least, Apple should give people the option to log into the iCloud website and disable iMessage.

For those people commenting here that this woman should have known better, I'd love to see the temper tantrums you would be throwing if this happened to you. So just shut your traps. Your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant.
post #61 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post
I didn't mention that I did sign in to iCloud with my sons account because it is irrelevant. iCloud and iMessage sign in are in two different places. I've been using iPhones since the original and I am also a developer so it is not something I over looked. I spend time researching and it turned out to be a bug with iMessage. Apple support website is full with similar issues.

Much of iMessage and the way it is used by the masses is indeed confusing and Apple needs to do better at educating (and improving on) iMessage.  I don't think a class action lawsuit is necessary however this is what happens when Apple does not do a good job at responding quickly to issues.

I and at least 5 other people I know personally were caught off guard when people (typically family members) who share iCloud accounts with family members' new devices suddenly see their text messages appearing on all devices.

It's counter intuitive. People share iCloud accounts but they don't share text messages...this needs to be obviously apparent if Apple wants to stay within its "just works" meme.

post #62 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Smart Switch is about transferring data, not ensuring that your previous handset hadn't hijacked part of your SMS service.

This problem has nothing to do with Samsung.  Poor form to suggest that it does.

Why not Smart Switch backs up messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post

I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I fully support this lawsuit 100%. It is completely unethical & illegal that Apple is hijacking people's text messages, just because those people decide to switch to a different phone.

At the very least, Apple should give people the option to log into the iCloud website and disable iMessage.

For those people commenting here that this woman should have known better, I'd love to see the temper tantrums you would be throwing if this happened to you. So just shut your traps. Your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant.

iMESSAGE IS OPT IN, OPT IN AS IN YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AND AGREE TO IT BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT.

Hey here's an idea, do a little research BEFORE you get pressured to "switch".
post #63 of 178
It's her fault for switching to a galaxy. That's her iphone 4 revenge on her. The iPhone did the right thing
post #64 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why not Smart Switch backs up messages.

iMESSAGE IS OPT IN, OPT IN AS IN YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AND AGREE TO IT BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT.

Hey here's an idea, do a little research BEFORE you get pressured to "switch".

No, you should do a little research. There are tons of people that" opt out" and do what they are supposed to do before leaving and still don't get text messages no matter what they do. That's all on Apple. Stop blindly defending this one issue as you are so very wrong. This is a major issue that has been going on for a long time and Apple has done nothing to fix it.
post #65 of 178
Interesting predicament. The easy answer is to disable the phone number as a viable address option as soon as you log out of iMessage or wipe your device. However, you can also have iMessages go to other devices that use that phone number. Should the system disable that phone number a valid address if, say, if your phone was lost, stolen or broke? What if you have a Mac or iPad but still like to use that phone number as your iMessage address instead of giving out your email address?

Perhaps what Apple needs is an iCloud portal so you can look at and adjust your settings from a Mac/PC. Perhaps also a way on an iPad, for instance, to say "Disconnect this iMessage phone number/email address from all device on my account" for those that have moved to a Post-PC world.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #66 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post

Seriously you think this is a big issue?

No is not but this one is

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/14/samsung-issues-apology-to-cancer-stricken-semiconductor-plant-workers

Samsung admits killing people, if something like this happened with Apple will be the end 

post #67 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

No, you should do a little research. There are tons of people that" opt out" and do what they are supposed to do before leaving and still don't get text messages no matter what they do. That's all on Apple. Stop blindly defending this one issue as you are so very wrong. This is a major issue that has been going on for a long time and Apple has done nothing to fix it.

If she researched she would know that she has to contact all her contacts who still use iMessage and ask them to delete and re-add her as a contact.

I don't want Apple or anyone snooping around MY details because someone who has ME as a contact, switches to Android, why should iMessage users privacy be affected because people are misled at a store into "Android is better", when obviously it isn't.

Caveat emptor, now stop wasting the courts time.
post #68 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

"unethical" "illegal" "hijacking" "just shut your traps" "your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant? Not much for hyperbole or self-aggrandizing, eh?

C'mon.  As indicated, iMessages is an opt-in service. It's not enabled by default when you activate an iPhone.

The primary issue here is more about how Apple does not make it clear that you need to log your device out of Apple ID, Find My iPhone, and other services before moving a phone number or SIM card over to a different device. I suspect that the vast majority of problems people have with iMessage have more to do with their devices still being logged onto Apple's services when they move their SIM card or phone number over to a different device. Yes, the way Apple designed this system is a pain in the butt and needs to be fixed in the worst way, but I don't see any nefarious intent or anything "illegal."

post #69 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting predicament. The easy answer is to disable the phone number as a viable address option as soon as you log out of iMessage or wipe your device. However, you can also have iMessages go to other devices that use that phone number. Should the system disable that phone number a valid address if, say, if your phone was lost, stolen or broke? What if you have a Mac or iPad but still like to use that phone number as your iMessage address instead of giving out your email address?

Perhaps what Apple needs is an iCloud portal so you can look at and adjust your settings from a Mac/PC. Perhaps also a way on an iPad, for instance, to say "Disconnect this iMessage phone number/email address from all device on my account" for those that have moved to a Post-PC world.

They do, it's called "Remove this device", which works when the device is not connected at the time.
post #70 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/14/samsung-issues-apology-to-cancer-stricken-semiconductor-plant-workers

Samsung admits killing people, if something like this happened with Apple will be the end 

This is an issue with Apple devices. I don't know why you drag Samsung into it. There is a separate discussion about that topic in the link you provided. Please.. stay on topic. And yes, this is a big issue related to Apple iOS and their messaging system.

post #71 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Of course that's a far bigger issue, but what does it have to do with this, unless you're into score-keeping? I don't see why you would look at something you hate and something you like though, and point out that one isn't as bad as the other. I don't know why Samsung even crept into this thread. That she bought a Samsung phone is irrelevant here.

post #72 of 178
Quote:

They do, it's called "Remove this device", which works when the device is not connected at the time.

Therein lies the rub. You may not want the phone number to be removed from all the devices simply because you logged out on your phone either by a regular logged out wiping the device as these could be temporary and the phone number as an iMessage address is can used on other devices for both sending and receiving.

Apple needs a system in place that makes it go beyond just removing a device. You need to be able to remove that phone number from your account.

post #73 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Quote:
Of course that's a far bigger issue, but what does it have to do with this, unless you're into score-keeping? I don't see why you would look at something you hate and something you like though, and point out that one isn't as bad as the other. I don't know why Samsung even crept into this thread. That she bought a Samsung phone is irrelevant here.

On its own it doesn't make sense but as a response to @JasonX it seems reasonable to me, especially after his "screaming bloody murder" comment.

post #74 of 178
Quote:

Nevermine.. I see that you were talking about iCloud.com (Find my iPhone).

post #75 of 178
Quote:

If she researched she would know that she has to contact all her contacts who still use iMessage and ask them to delete and re-add her as a contact.

I don't want Apple or anyone snooping around MY details because someone who has ME as a contact, switches to Android, why should iMessage users privacy be affected because people are misled at a store into "Android is better", when obviously it isn't.

Caveat emptor, now stop wasting the courts time.

Seriously!? You know that even contacting all your contacts, which is a dumb thing to have to do and shouldn't have to, doesn’t even work all the time either.

Some people have over a 1000 contacts, you really think it's practical to inform each and every single one of them to delete and re-add you. You shouldn't have to do that at all.

You also know that some people like to try different tech, despite what you think that Apple is the only way to go, to see what is going on in the tech industry. Or maybe people are just plain tired of Apple, yes people do think that, or they want something that better fit their needs, not everyone has the same needs as you, or they go to a Windows phone, not everyone goes to Android, or just likes to try all kinds of phones.

This is a Apple issue no matter how you try and spin it. If someone wants to try an Apple phone and use iMessage they shouldn't have to worry about if they won't get messages if they switch even if the sign out properly before they go somewhere else.
post #76 of 178

There should be a way to link and unlink #s from iCloud.com using your account. 

post #77 of 178
Quote:

On its own it doesn't make sense but as a response to @JasonX it seems reasonable to me, especially after his "screaming bloody murder" comment.

Blah. I hate that he mentioned that too, as it's kind of irrelevant. As far as issues, the two aren't in the same stratosphere in terms of which is worse.

Quote:

Therein lies the rub. You may not want the phone number to be removed from all the devices simply because you logged out on your phone either by a regular logged out wiping the device as these could be temporary and the phone number as an iMessage address is can used on other devices for both sending and receiving.

Apple needs a system in place that makes it go beyond just removing a device. You need to be able to remove that phone number from your account.

That would be sensible. Some of the anger here is probably how long the problem has gone unsolved. My suspicion is that if it was an easy fix, it would have been fixed long ago.

post #78 of 178
She will use her winnings to buy a new iPhone....LMAO

I switched to an S4 last year and nothing happened. I think and would bet she didn't take the time to disassociate her iCloud account with her phone number and didn't reset/erase the phone before she traded it.
post #79 of 178
Turn off your iMessege on the old iPhone. Problem solved. My cousin just went through this same situation. She called Apple, they told her to do this, and boom, problem fixed
post #80 of 178
Quote:

Then this wouldn't be an issue as you are still receiving your messages.

Before you switch remove your device.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone