or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple taps Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

Rumor: Apple taps Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

post #1 of 52
Taiwanese LCD manufacturer Innolux has beaten out rivals Sharp and Samsung in the race to supply 4.7-inch displays for Apple's next-generation iPhone, a Monday report said.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

If true, Innolux would join LG Display and Japan Display Corporation as suppliers of 4.7-inch panels for the device, according to Taiwanese newspaper UDN. The report was first noticed by GforGames.
Innolux is thought to have benefitted from Apple's reluctance to expand its reliance on South Korean conglomerate Samsung. The two companies find themselves increasingly at odds -- both in the marketplace and in the courtroom -- even as Samsung supplies a number of critical parts for Apple, most notably as the fabricator of the A-series processors inside the iPhone and iPad.

Sharp, meanwhile, is believed to have been dismissed after quality issues arose during preliminary test runs. That would represent the second time Apple shunned Sharp this year, after the Japanese company was reportedly ousted from the iPad mini supply chain in March.

There was no word on who Apple would turn to for panels in its rumored larger, 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone. That device is expected to be release late this fall, possibly months after its smaller sibling.
post #2 of 52
Rumor: Apple tabs Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

Shouldn't that be 'Taps'?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Rumor: Apple tabs Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

Shouldn't that be 'Taps'?

Yep. Ugh.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yep. Ugh.

Nope. Ugh. 

verb
3rd person present: tabs
  1. 1.
    mark or identify with a projecting piece of material.
    "he opened the book at a page tabbed by a cloth bookmark"
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      identify as being of a specified type or suitable for a specified position.
      "he was tabbed by the President as the next Republican National Committee chairman"
post #5 of 52

The rumors are significantly thinner on the 5.5" displays.  This could be related to a later release date (maybe Apple isn't yet in the production ramp up stage) or it could be that there is not 5.5" version.  It's not only display production rumors that seem few and far between, but also there seem to be zero leaks of the phone shell or any other variants of the rumors we're hearing about the 4.7" version.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

Nope. Ugh. 

verb

1. 1.

• NORTH AMERICAN

"he was tabbed by the President as the next Republican National Committee chairman"

Welcome back under your latest nom de plume, TekStud.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 52
Quote:

Nope. Ugh. 

verb

1. 1.

• NORTH AMERICAN

Yep, it really reads well used in place of 'taps' in that context ./s .. I guess you'd like this too? "The Prime Minister tabs John Smith for promotion".
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #8 of 52
Expect headline writing to be lazy and repetitive. They stick with what works for SEO.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 52
Quote:

Yep, it really reads well used in place of 'taps' in that context ./s .. I guess you'd like this too? "The Prime Minister tabs John Smith for promotion".

You're right! I would quite like this, since it would be the correct usage. "Taps" does not mean what you guys think it means - if Innolux were a mine in the middle of Australia where LCD screens are dug from the earth, Apple could indeed "tap" it. Unfortunately, since it is not, it must instead be "tabbed." 

Your quarrel is with the English language, take it up with our ancestors.

post #10 of 52

I believe the whole 5.5" thing will turn out a false rumour. Not only are there no indications regarding such a model whatsoever, I also don't think it would make much sense for Apple to come out with a "phablet".

Apple is already offering iPads successfully and we got the quite small iPad Mini for those things. Now, despite trying to get developers to design resolution independent applications, Apple is still distinguishing between iPhone and iPad apps. This makes sense, because of the added screen real estate. Now let's say a phablet would be classified as phone, all you'd get is the same iPhone apps stretched with a bit more of space for browsable content, similar to Android. I doubt they'd classify it as iPad, because most apps which work on an iPad Mini would probably become to small to operate properly on 5.5".

Considering that we do have a real lot of fantastic tablet specific apps on iOS, I just don't see the point for an Apple phablet. This might make sense for Android, where there are next to no good tablet apps and all you get is stretched stuff anyway. In my opinion this would only clutter Apple's product line unnecessarily.

What I actually believe is going to happen is that we'll get a new 4.7" model with higher resolution @3x, while keeping the existing 4" screen size around at current retina resolution. Lots of people seem happy with the currently relatively small screen, so I don't think Apple will just cut that model off completely. At the same time I don't see them going ironing board style.

post #11 of 52

If Apple can make an iPod itouch 5th generation; it can make both the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone 6 models.  The R&D on the case has already been done 2 years ago.  It not rocket science when you have the 4" itouch to look at to enlarge it! 

I can see maybe the screen resolution to HD might be a problem but going from there to HD+ should be simple (Quad HD)!  But Apple needs to plan ahead for the next upgrade in 2015 and 2016 too!

I not sure what size I going to buy?  It seems that the right size would be the 5.5" but 4.7" seems to be more manageable.  I been watching what people are using and I see a lot of people with Samsung Note 3s.   5.5" might become the standard.    

post #12 of 52
Besides "taps" is what Skull and Bones does when they select new members. Ick. How about 'selects', 'chooses', 'picks' instead? Leave 'tapping' to the secret society creeps.
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

The rumors are significantly thinner on the 5.5" displays.  This could be related to a later release date (maybe Apple isn't yet in the production ramp up stage) or it could be that there is not 5.5" version.  It's not only display production rumors that seem few and far between, but also there seem to be zero leaks of the phone shell or any other variants of the rumors we're hearing about the 4.7" version.

I find that interesting, because if hoaxers were behind it, that's exactly the one they should hoax. It's either not in the pipeline or late.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 52
Quote:

You're right! I would quite like this, since it would be the correct usage. "Taps" does not mean what you guys think it means - if Innolux were a mine in the middle of Australia where LCD screens are dug from the earth, Apple could indeed "tap" it. Unfortunately, since it is not, it must instead be "tabbed." 

Your quarrel is with the English language, take it up with our ancestors.

It seems the article title has been amended to 'taps'. By the way it probably comes from 'Tap into' as in a resource, perhaps even 'taps on the shoulder' as in selects, as it were. I have never ever seen 'tab' used in the way you suggest, as in 'he was tabbed for the post', care to post some examples, I'm always open to learn something new.

I just read all your 14 posts. You seem to be a jolly chap. 1smile.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 5/19/14 at 8:02am
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #15 of 52
Quote:

Nope. Ugh.

verb
3rd person present: tabs
NORTH AMERICAN

1) Your first definition refers to a protruding piece, like with tab and slot mechanism on the box of the sugary cereals you eat.

2) Your second definition is based on that first one and this sense your example simply means they stand out as a viable candidate.

3) While that 2nd definition could be used to refer to Innolux as a viable candidate the rest of the title goes too far for that to be the correct word of choice over taps, which means, "draw a supply from (a resource)."

4) AI has altered the title from tabs to taps.

PS: Here's the kicker. If you had argued that tabs could have also also worked had the sentence be written slightly different you would have had a point but your "Nope. Ugh." clearly disallowed that taps was even a viable choice for the title as written which means you're not just a little wrong, but very wrong.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #16 of 52
Quote:

I have never ever seen 'tab' used in the way you suggest, as in 'he was tabbed for the post', care to post some examples, I'm always open to learn something new.

It's atypical but it's used to mean someone is the forerunner for a position. As in, that person is somewhat out in front of the others as the candidate, just like the tab on slot & tab system protrudes farther than everything else around it.

post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's atypical but it's used to mean someone is the forerunner for a position. As in, that person is somewhat out in front of the others as the candidate, just like the tab on slot & tab system protrudes farther than everything else around it.

Thanks, yep, I read more and see it is peculiar to North America to use tab in that way, hence it sounded weird to me I guess. Often times when that is the case it is, ironically, old English that lives on (after dying out in Britain) rather than as many Brits think, Americans messing with 'their' language ... faucet being a prime example. These things fascinate me for some reason 1smile.gif My OP asked if they meant 'taps' I was not being belligerent for a second.

Way to derail the thread though ... sorry folks.

AAPL 605+ !!! 1smoking.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #18 of 52
Can't wait for this 4.7" iPhone. I'll be waiting outside the Apple store for this one, for sure.
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

Can't wait for this 4.7" iPhone. I'll be waiting outside the Apple store for this one, for sure.
I hope millions more across the World share that sentiment. 1biggrin.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

Not me. Way too big. If no new smaller option I will not be buying an older model either. This could backfire on Apple big time. Apple is already has the largest market share in the U.S. with a smaller screen. People obviously like it. A bigger screen without another option except an older model is taking a big risk with those of us who like smaller screens.

post #21 of 52

all this means is that those who have complained about the lack of larger screens all this time will be complaining about the price.

post #22 of 52
While a 4.7 display is more logical than a 5.5 I'm hard pressed to believe a Taiwanese paper sourcing a rumor that a 'local' company is signed on as a supplier. It sounds more like trying to create press and business by name dropping a major company.

Any company actually working on a deal with a company as big and privacy crazed as Apple wouldn't be dumb enough to talk about the deal out of fear it could be pulled. Plus with this display going into phones due out in October, if not sooner, they would likely have the suppliers worked out and working already

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not me. Way too big. If no new smaller option I will not be buying an older model either. This could backfire on Apple big time. Apple is already has the largest market share in the U.S. with a smaller screen. People obviously like it. A bigger screen without another option except an older model is taking a big risk with those of us who like smaller screens.

But are they buying the smaller sized display because iOS trumps Android/WinPh or because most want a smaller display.

It seems like a lot of people want (or at least open to) a larger display but that it had to be iOS-based.

Still, I do expect them to keep the current 4" size.

post #24 of 52
Quote:

"Way too big"? Oh, give me a fucking break. That's on the smallest end of non-bargain bin Android phones. There's no way in hell this is gonna "backfire" since people are purchasing 5inch+ phones in the tens of millions. Most on forums will even bitch that its still too small. And I doubt Apple will completely drop the 4" version. This is coming from someone who likes the 4" size- but I'm not so obsessed and self-centered with my own needs and wants that I can't ignore the reality that I'm not the only one on the planet, and Apple isn't catering their products to ME. Also, an extra .7" is not the end of the world. For most people, it will be advantageous to have a bit more screen real estate. Learn to open your mind a bit. 

Also, what are people who think that a 4.7" phone is "way too big" going to purchase, exactly? Not like there will be viable smaller options from other companies. There's literally nothing under that size that isn't a piece of shit. Apple has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/19/14 at 10:02am
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

"Way too big"? Oh, give me a fucking break. That's on the smallest end of non-bargain bin Android phones. There's no way in hell this is gonna "backfire" since people are purchasing 5inch+ phones in the tens of millions. Most on forums will even bitch that its still too small. And I doubt Apple will completely drop the 4" version. This is coming from someone who likes the 4" size- but I'm not so obsessed and self-centered with my own needs and wants that I can't ignore the reality that I'm not the only one on the planet, and Apple isn't catering their products to ME. Also, an extra .7" is not the end of the world. For most people, it will be advantageous to have a bit more screen real estate. Learn to open your mind a bit. 

I agree. No way this backfires. If Apple does release a 4.7" phone, I bet it will be the top selling iPhone model ever made. Apple will gain a ton of new customers who are switching over from Android. 

post #26 of 52

Didn't Apple invest hundreds of millions of dollars in Sharp?

post #27 of 52

I'd tap it

post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I agree. No way this backfires. If Apple does release a 4.7" phone, I bet it will be the top selling iPhone model ever made. Apple will gain a ton of new customers who are switching over from Android. 

Anecdotal evidence is just that, a very small poll sample if you will. But at the same time it is amazing how accurate it can sometimes be. Without fail when I ask my Android owning friends, family, coworkers why they chose an Android phone over an iPhone they all give the same answer. "The screen size". They don't talk about open source, or a hatred for Apple, or any of the other common talking points you hear by forum pundits on both sides. They simply like the larger display. Once these people have an upgrade available there is no loyalty to Samsung or Android to keep them there. If Apple has a larger phone display the one barrier that kept them from buying an iPhone will disappear. People vastly underestimate just how many 1st time switchers or former iPhone owners will come back to the platform with a larger display. 

post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

It might be the top selling iPhone model ever made only if Apple does not release a new 4" iPhone.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Didn't Apple invest hundreds of millions of dollars in Sharp?

... and I read another report just last week that Sharp is the 3rd supplier for the screens.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #31 of 52
"There was no word on who Apple would turn to for panels in its rumored larger, 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone. That device is expected to be release late this fall, possibly months after its smaller sibling."

Wasn't it a month later last week?
New headline: Unannounced, rumored product with no release date has been delayed due to production quality issues. Or was it supply constraints...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

It might be the top selling iPhone model ever made only if Apple does not release a new 4" iPhone.

You are delusional if you think a 4" iPhone would outsell a 4.7" iPhone. The only way that might occur is if the 4.7" was priced significantly higher. I hope there are a lot more people out there with your thinking otherwise I won't be able to sell my gold 5s for much money when I put it on Ebay to buy the 4.7" iPhone 6. 

You are making a very common mistake if you believe all current 4" iPhone owners approve or support a 4" simply because they own one. I bought my 5s IN SPITE of my gripe over the small display not because I like it. Apple quality in key aspects of the hardware fit and finish and iOS were simply more important to me than display size. I seriously doubt I am alone. 

Edited by gwmac - 5/19/14 at 10:51am
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You are delusional if you think a 4" iPhone would outsell a 4.7" iPhone. The only way that might occur is if the 4.7" was priced significantly higher. I hope there are a lot more people out there with your thinking otherwise I won't be able to sell my gold 5s for much money when I put it on Ebay to buy the 4.7" iPhone 6. 

You are making a very common mistake if you believe all current 4" iPhone owners approve or support a 4" simply because they own one. I bought my 5s IN SPITE of my gripe over the small display not because I like it. Apple quality in key aspects of the hardware fit and finish and iOS were simply more important to me than display size. I seriously doubt I am alone.

Only time will tell for sure which of us is delusional. Based on current sales of competitors larger phones, none of them, in any combination, are selling in numbers close to iPhones.

post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I completely echo your sentiment. I'm sure they'll keep a 4" available as well, for those who still prefer that size. I am definitely upgrading my phone size and will still be able to benefit from using iOS's superior ecosystem and function. Best of both worlds, finally.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Only time will tell for sure which of us is delusional. Based on current sales of competitors larger phones, none of them, in any combination, are selling in numbers close to iPhones.

Maybe- Oh, I don't know- there are other factors besides SIZE that influence people to buy iPhones? You know, just MAYBE? You're essectially saying the ONLY reason people are buying iPhones is because they are smaller? A much stronger argument could be made that the major reason that many ARE choosing to go with Android phones (Samsung phones, specifically) is because of size. Anecdotally, every SINGLE person I know who has chosen an Android phone over an Android has done so because of size- and really, what other reason would there be? iPhone are selling massively in SPITE of their size, not because of it. Stop making spurious correlations where none exist. Yeah- time will tell. But something tells me that you will never go back and admit you were wrong, even when time will have proven otherwise. 

post #36 of 52

If the new iPhone or phones look like what people have guessed at and if they get taller yet not wider I will be looking at a Sony Xperia phone.

A 2.3 inch wide and 6 inch tall phone does not appeal to me. Making it taller to fit a 4.7 to 5.5 screen is not the answer. You have to get wider at some point.

post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Maybe- Oh, I don't know- there are other factors besides SIZE that influence people to buy iPhones? You know, just MAYBE? You're essectially saying the ONLY reason people are buying iPhones is because they are smaller? A much stronger argument could be made that the major reason that many ARE choosing to go with Android phones (Samsung phones, specifically) is because of size. Anecdotally, every SINGLE person I know who has chosen an Android phone over an Android has done so because of size- and really, what other reason would there be? iPhone are selling massively in SPITE of their size, not because of it. Stop making spurious correlations where none exist. Yeah- time will tell. But something tells me that you will never go back and admit you were wrong, even when time will have proven otherwise. 

i never claimed that 'the ONLY reason people are buying iPhones is because they are smaller'. i am just saying (based on an informal survey of iPhone users that I know) that I don't think the 'still a rumor' new 4.7' iPhone would outsell a new 4" iPhone based on size alone. I am sure Apple would do very well selling a 4.7" iPhone but it wouldn't outsell a 4" iPhone if just based on size alone. I can easily see an Apple 4.7" iPhone this year but don't think Apple will be selling a 5.5" phone as part of the next generation of iPhones.

FWIW i can see myself with a 4.7" iPhone because I now have an issue with my hands but I think that would make me part of a minority. IMO I think a new 4" iPhone would outsell a 4.7" iPhone 'at least' three 4" iPhones sold for every two 4.7" iPhones sold, if size was the only difference.

My last post on this topic as we are still  talking would be, could be, should be and wanna be about a still rumored iPhone.

Edited by Realistic - 5/19/14 at 1:16pm

post #38 of 52
Quote:

I tend to agree, but I'm in wait and see mode. This is all rumor anyway. I'll worry about it when it is real. If Apple screws up, they screw up. One way or the other.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

If Apple can make an iPod itouch 5th generation; it can make both the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone 6 models.  The R&D on the case has already been done 2 years ago.  It not rocket science when you have the 4" itouch to look at to enlarge it! 

I can see maybe the screen resolution to HD might be a problem but going from there to HD+ should be simple (Quad HD)!  But Apple needs to plan ahead for the next upgrade in 2015 and 2016 too!

I not sure what size I going to buy?  It seems that the right size would be the 5.5" but 4.7" seems to be more manageable.  I been watching what people are using and I see a lot of people with Samsung Note 3s.   5.5" might become the standard.    

A lot on Note 3s? I see it once in a while because it's huge but I see iPhone almost every time  when a person uses it.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

If the new iPhone or phones look like what people have guessed at and if they get taller yet not wider I will be looking at a Sony Xperia phone.

A 2.3 inch wide and 6 inch tall phone does not appeal to me. Making it taller to fit a 4.7 to 5.5 screen is not the answer. You have to get wider at some point.

It doesn't matter as long as it maintain 16:9 aspect.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple taps Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays