or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon's new XLTE network doubles bandwidth for users of Apple's latest iPhones & iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon's new XLTE network doubles bandwidth for users of Apple's latest iPhones & iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I just witnessed someone do it with my very own eyes using the VZW version.

I am sure you did and I am also sure they were on Wifi. You specifically said SVDO and that is not possible any longer since it requires two radios. Now SVLTE is a completely other thing entirely but that is not what you originally said. Are you now trying to say you meant SVLTE?

 

http://www.sonlte.com/2012/03/26/notes-on-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-svlte/


Edited by gwmac - 5/19/14 at 4:42pm
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am sure you did and I am also sure they were on Wifi. 

Thanks for the proof. It clearly states that the SGS 5 is capable of SVLTE. It uses CDMA for voice, and LTE for data simultaneously. Apple chose not to include that feature.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-the-iphone-5-lacks-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Thanks for the proof. It clearly states that the SGS 5 is capable of SVLTE. It uses CDMA for voice, and LTE for data simultaneously. Apple chose not to include that feature.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-the-iphone-5-lacks-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

I wouldn't word it as Apple choosing not to include it, but rather Apple isn't able to include it when choosing to include other features or capabilities, like a reduced volume/size/weight and/or additional LTE bands.

I'll be surprised if this rumoured large-screen iPhone doesn't offer SVLTE.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #44 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Hope you enjoy using that fast 4G in the few square miles in Australia where Vodafone offers it. And since I don't run a web server from my iPhone I would love to hear how you put that 42 Mb/s upload speed to any practical use given that Vodafone only offers around 2.5GB of data a month at the high end or am I mistaken. We have more LTE towers in my one state than Vodafone has in all of Australia. I pay $50 for unlimited LTE data and I can actually use it all over the country not just in a few major cities. 



That "few square miles" is larger than most American states and European countries, it works where I live, work and spend most of my time.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am sure you did and I am also sure they were on Wifi. You specifically said SVDO and that is not possible any longer since it requires two radios. Now SVLTE is a completely other thing entirely but that is not what you originally said. Are you now trying to say you meant SVLTE?

http://www.sonlte.com/2012/03/26/notes-on-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-svlte/

No I specifically said SVD, simultaneous voice & data. You claimed that it only worked with wifi which isn't true. The iPhone is the only LTE phone on VZW that cannot do SVD unless it's on Wifi.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wouldn't word it as Apple choosing not to include it, but rather Apple isn't able to include it when choosing to include other features or capabilities, like a reduced volume/size/weight and/or additional LTE bands.

I'll be surprised if this rumoured large-screen iPhone doesn't offer SVLTE.

So they chose not to choose it? lol.gif It matters how it happened, the fact still remains that the reason that the iPhone doesn't support SVLTE is not VZW's fault but Apple's.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So they chose not to choose it? lol.gif It matters how it happened, the fact still remains that the reason that the iPhone doesn't support SVLTE is not VZW's fault but Apple's.

Of course, I didn't think that was up for debate. Verizon's back end supports it but Apple does not. But, yes, they choose to focus on other things they deemed more important that kept SV&D on CMDA-based devices as being a viable feature.

Frankly it's why I left Verizon last year to go back to AT&T last year but it seems that anyone that has been using Verizon's network when the iPhone had SV&D all those years repeatedly states that it's not a big deal and that they never make a call and use the internet at the same time.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


That "few square miles" is larger than most American states and European countries, it works where I live, work and spend most of my time.

I know how large Australia is since I have visited several times and driven all the way down the coast from Cairns to Sydney over a 3 week drive. But your point has nothing whatsoever to do with addressing the fact that those areas in purple that represent LTE cover a very tiny area of the country which is understandable since you have a very large country with a very small population not much larger than Florida and smaller than Texas or California . Once you leave the main population centers there is no LTE and in fact you are lucky to even get any service at all if you get away from the major roads. The U.S. has to cover an equally large area but also ensure both capacity and coverage for close to a population around 15X as large. I notice you failed to answer my question as to what advantage that faster upload speed actually provides in actual usage.

post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course, I didn't think that was up for debate. Verizon's back end supports it but Apple does not. But, yes, they choose to focus on other things they deemed more important that kept SV&D on CMDA-based devices as being a viable feature.

Frankly it's why I left Verizon last year to go back to AT&T last year but it seems that anyone that has been using Verizon's network when the iPhone had SV&D all those years repeatedly states that it's not a big deal and that they never make a call and use the internet at the same time.


In all fairness, when you've never used something it's easy to call it "no big deal", but I'm sure all those people are now happily using SVLTE.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


In all fairness, when you've never used something it's easy to call it "no big deal", but I'm sure all those people are now happily using SVLTE.

SVLTE is a dead technology that is simply a rather poor bandaid approach until VoLTE arrives. It relies on 1XRTT which is a 2G technology for voice and if you have ever spoken to someone on Verizon while they used data you probably noticed how poor the audio quality sounded. And not all phones have that feature as you suggested. The ones that did only did so as a last ditch effort to try and stem iPhone sales. It didn't work. 

 

Apple has no need to implement a band aid technology that will very soon be terminated. The iPhone can sell without poorly implemented gimmicks. 

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

SVLTE is a dead technology that is simply a rather poor bandaid approach until VoLTE arrives. It relies on 1XRTT which is a 2G technology for voice and if you have ever spoken to someone on Verizon while they used data you probably noticed how poor the audio quality sounded. And not all phones have that feature as you suggested. The ones that did only did so as a last ditch effort to try and stem iPhone sales. It didn't work. 

Apple has no need to implement a band aid technology that will very soon be terminated. The iPhone can sell without poorly implemented gimmicks. 

Interesting take. Do you have any thoughts when VoLTE will arrive insides that Verizon will completely support it for their LTE network and therefor more it an easy feature for Apple to adopt?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


That "few square miles" is larger than most American states and European countries, it works where I live, work and spend most of my time.

Daaaaaaaamn you burnt his ass to a crisp. Game Over. gwmac, time to retire from the internet for a couple years son, your ass is toast.

post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Interesting take. Do you have any thoughts when VoLTE will arrive insides that Verizon will completely support it for their LTE network and therefor more it an easy feature for Apple to adopt?

Your guess is as good as mine. But I do know that SVLTE is very gimmicky with some poor tradeoffs and we both know Apple doesn't like those type of compromises. Verizon is the only one who has decided to run dual transmission paths for LTE and pay the price accordingly to allow SVLTE.  This is not a network issue, it is a device issue. The more bands you add, it becomes more and more difficult and expensive to try to keep dual path transmission for LTE and a 3G voice technology to be used together.  It also becomes really difficult when one of those bands is TDD which is why Sprint will not attempt that with 2.5Ghz which is TDD. The iPhone 6 will certainly include support for band 41 which is the repurposed Clearwire band also because both Softbank in Japan as well as China also have need for it. As far as VoLTE they have been saying by the end of 2014 we will start seeing it. Metro PCS actually had begun implementing VoLTE before the T-Mo takeover. Short answer is when it makes sense to them financially and they see a benefit to switching off circuit based calls. 

 

http://gigaom.com/2014/03/19/consumers-will-get-their-volte-phones-but-carriers-real-targets-are-business-users/

post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I know how large Australia is since I have visited several times and driven all the way down the coast from Cairns to Sydney over a 3 week drive. But your point has nothing whatsoever to do with addressing the fact that those areas in purple that represent LTE cover a very tiny area of the country which is understandable since you have a very large country with a very small population not much larger than Florida and smaller than Texas or California . Once you leave the main population centers there is no LTE and in fact you are lucky to even get any service at all if you get away from the major roads. The U.S. has to cover an equally large area but also ensure both capacity and coverage for close to a population around 15X as large. I notice you failed to answer my question as to what advantage that faster upload speed actually provides in actual usage.

96% of the population live in the Vodafone coverage area.

Near instantaneous uploads of photo's, video snapchats, Safari is snappier.

As far as downloads go, it takes a few seconds to get a song from iTunes, for example.

We live in an age of instant gratification, fast Internet is a part of that.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


96% of the population live in the Vodafone coverage area.

Near instantaneous uploads of photo's, video snapchats, Safari is snappier.

As far as downloads go, it takes a few seconds to get a song from iTunes, for example.

We live in an age of instant gratification, fast Internet is a part of that.

Yeah and you might have a point if my speediest was slow which it wasn't. I can do all those things as well and pay half as much as you pay and also get unlimited data to boot. What are you limited to, around 2.5GB? You won't be uploading too many photos with that crappy limit. Your trolling in the iMessage thread and many other threads shows you are not interested in conversation as much as simply trolling. 

post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Yeah and you might have a point if my speediest was slow which it wasn't. I can do all those things as well and pay half as much as you pay and also get unlimited data to boot. What are you limited to, around 2.5GB? You won't be uploading too many photos with that crappy limit. Your trolling in the iMessage thread and many other threads shows you are not interested in conversation as much as simply trolling. 

As I sit here eating my lunch, thought I'd run a quick speedtest.



Ho hum.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #57 of 66
Gosh, now that they have all of this speed and stuff, maybe you think they would let me talk AND use data at the same time? Besides the holes in the network, not being able to do voice and data at the same time is the worst thing about switching to Verizon.
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

SVLTE is a dead technology that is simply a rather poor bandaid approach until VoLTE arrives. It relies on 1XRTT which is a 2G technology for voice and if you have ever spoken to someone on Verizon while they used data you probably noticed how poor the audio quality sounded. And not all phones have that feature as you suggested. The ones that did only did so as a last ditch effort to try and stem iPhone sales. It didn't work. 

Apple has no need to implement a band aid technology that will very soon be terminated. The iPhone can sell without poorly implemented gimmicks. 

Full dependence on VoLTE is years away. The CDMA network isn't going away anytime soon.

Btw I do SVLTE all the time and there's no discernable drop in call quality and I couldn't why there ever would if the call is over CDMA, and the data is LTE.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdchet View Post

Gosh, now that they have all of this speed and stuff, maybe you think they would let me talk AND use data at the same time? Besides the holes in the network, not being able to do voice and data at the same time is the worst thing about switching to Verizon.

Try reading the comments for why that is.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 66

Oh, apparently Verizon wants to buy Dish now, for no other reason than AT&T purchased DirecTV.

 

Why is this allowed?

post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As I sit here eating my lunch, thought I'd run a quick speedtest.



Ho hum.

Frick me. My home Internet is 2.5% of that speed.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, apparently Verizon wants to buy Dish now, for no other reason than AT&T purchased DirecTV.

Why is this allowed?

Hasn't been allowed yet nor should it be.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


As I sit here eating my lunch, thought I'd run a quick speedtest.



Ho hum.

Don't run too many speed tests since you might go over your typically low data cap on Vodafone. Fast speed tests may impress the uninformed but I think most techies understand anything above 10/down or 3/up is complete overkill for anything you will ever do on your phone unless you are tethering it to a computer and downloading torrents or similar. No wonder they can offer great speeds since that LTE map for Vodafone was pathetically small. The areas in purple for LTE were really small. I hope Telstra has a larger LTE map than that. I would be far more impressed if you showed me unlimited data with that great speed at a reasonable price. Fast speed means next to nothing if you are limited to only a few GB's of data. I am also guessing that in addition to not having unlimited data you are likely paying quite a bit more for your bragging rights for speedtest champion on this forum. 

 

post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

Don't run too many speed tests since you might go over your typically low data cap on Vodafone. Fast speed tests may impress the uninformed but I think most techies understand anything above 10/down or 3/up is complete overkill for anything you will ever do on your phone unless you are tethering it to a computer and downloading torrents or similar. No wonder they can offer great speeds since that LTE map for Vodafone was pathetically small. The areas in purple for LTE were really small. I hope Telstra has a larger LTE map than that. I would be far more impressed if you showed me unlimited data with that great speed at a reasonable price. Fast speed means next to nothing if you are limited to only a few GB's of data. I am also guessing that in addition to not having unlimited data you are likely paying quite a bit more for your bragging rights for speedtest champion on this forum. 

 

 

 

Hey, maybe one day you'll get good quality LTE too.

 

Until then I'll happily keep using these blazingly fast speeds wherever I go on a day to day basis.

 

Outside the 4G areas the 3G+ speeds are equivalent to the other 4G speedtests that have been posted here.

 

Remember when T-Mobile and AT&T bastardised the term "4G" when HSDPA was faster than Sprint and Verizon's LTE?

 

Got Apple in trouble in Australia when they called an iPad "4G".

 

Having plenty of bandwidth allows the use of HD voice and data at the same time.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

Hey, maybe one day you'll get good quality LTE too.

 

Thanks but I already have fast and reliable LTE and it works in more than just a few cities.

 

Until then I'll happily keep using these blazingly fast speeds wherever I go on a day to day basis.

 

Until you quickly reach your pathetic data cap which is what 2 or 3 GB?

 

Outside the 4G areas the 3G+ speeds are equivalent to the other 4G speedtests that have been posted here.

 

Your data cap and high fees still apply and I have been to Australia several times and that was not my experience nor the experience of my Australian friends. 

 

Got Apple in trouble in Australia when they called an iPad "4G".

 

Which is why we are talking about LTE. You are the one that claims your 3.5G outside the tiny areas where Vodafone offers LTE is fast so you seem to want to have it both ways and do what you accused AT&T and T-Mo of above. 

 

Having plenty of bandwidth allows the use of HD voice and data at the same time.

 

I agree with that but equally if in fact not far more important is how much data you get a month and how much you pay for that data which you are apparently too afraid to report. Absolutely nothing I do on my iPhone requires me to wait for data or degrades my performance compared to yours. I have thousands of square miles of LTE all over the country  I can use and you have a few cities.  You seem to be under the illusion that 50 or 75 Mbps amounts to any noticeable difference in phone apps. It doesn't.  Once you reach a certain peak level that I estimate to be around 8 down and 3 up anything faster than that is not noticeable beyond speedtest apps. 

post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

Not true.The Samsung Galaxy S5 has one CDMA radio for its cellular capabilities. To talk and surf the web at the same time, you will have to be on Wi-Fi as it will use two different chips to transmit voice/data. That was true of the S3 and a few other models a few years back but not any longer since they thought it a waste of money to include two radios now that VoLTE is coming. 

Exactly! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Verizon's new XLTE network doubles bandwidth for users of Apple's latest iPhones & iPads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon's new XLTE network doubles bandwidth for users of Apple's latest iPhones & iPads