or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft unveils $799 Surface Pro 3, calls it 'the tablet that can replace your laptop'

Microsoft unveils $799 Surface Pro 3, calls it 'the tablet that can replace your laptop' - Page 2

post #41 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another accessory shown off by Microsoft was a new pen with 256 points of pressure compatible with the latest Surface Pro. Microsoft hyped the ability to place one's hand against the screen and write with a pen that feels natural for note taking and drawing.

One key use of the pen showcased by the company was for a new version of Photoshop CC designed for Windows 8 and Surface Pro 3. Adobe took the stage to demonstrate how users can combine the use of the pen and their fingers for multi-touch control when editing images.

Microsoft's pen also clicks on the top, much like a regular retractable pen that would be used for paper. Clicking it immediately opens up Microsoft OneNote on the Surface, so a user can begin writing down their thoughts instantly.

In another demonstration, Panay double-clicked the pen's button to take a screenshot, which was then immediately opened in OneNote. Panay then used the pen to crop the image, and began to draw on it. Once saved, the note then synced to Microsoft's cloud services.

Love these two features. Not for the general user, perhaps, for note taking and photoshop / graphics work it would be awesome to have this ability on an iPad. I love the fine pointed pen. I am not a fan of the fat rubber tipped iPad pens.

post #42 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have to admit though, the full adjustable kickstand does look cool. 

I think it's dopey.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #43 of 183
Doomed.

Microsoft is desperately trying to make a desktop OS into a tablet form, while Apple is turning the tablet OS into a full function device.
post #44 of 183
Quote:

I question its durability. I'm not saying it will fail but when I see a mechanism from any company — including Apple — I'd like to know how that can hold up over time with repeated downward pressure.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #45 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Looks like a nice device. Like a said on another post, I like the Surface Pro, but it's a heavy beast. However, comparing a tablet to a laptop... yes of course the tablet should be lighter. But compare that to an iPad Air. The Surface Pro is too heavy to be a true tablet. That's why they keep moving it towards the laptop category.

However, it can't replace a laptop if you can't use it on your lap with a floppy keyboard. Have you tried to use a Surface on your lap? That's why it's called a Surface... because you need to place it on a surface, not a lap. Also, if it has a fan, it's not a tablet.

If Apple comes out with an iPad Pro with a 12" screen, this thing is DOA.

Watch the video at: http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/20/microsoft-surface-event-livestream/

As for the kb -- the kb is firm with a small, flexible top that attaches to the tablet. Then, you can push the kb towards the tablet and the flexible top tilts up and binds the kb to the tablet with powerful magnets. It becomes as a clamshell -- a firm kb attached to a firm display -- move one and the other moves in concert!

There are a lot of very good ideas implemented in this device.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #46 of 183
so it's still a tablet that doesn't have cellular and a laptop that doesn't really fit on your lap?
post #47 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah but according to the Verge hype machine, this is Microsoft replacing the laptop as we know it.

They'll hype to hell anything that isn't an Apple product. The site often has 4-5 negative Apple stories (based on FUD) on the front page in a row. RIght under the full-screen Samsung ad. They've gotten pretty pathetic in terms of objectivity and click-whoring. 

post #48 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I watched the live stream. Where in the video does he say the pen solved the issue, as opposed to reducing the parallax between where the pen touches the glass and how far away the display is from that point?

He did say "to remove parallax from the product."

Now I'm not yet convinced that it will be as good as an etch-a-sketch but according some some images I saw the tip of the pen looks incredibly close to the image, almost like ink on paper, and that alone would make this thing the prefect replacement for a Cintiq, and it costs less too.

bb
bb
post #49 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

...according some some images I saw the tip of the pen looks incredibly close to the image, almost like ink on paper...

Right, which is what I'm saying. This has nothing to do with pen technology since the pen has always touched the top glass, but with reducing the space between the top of the glass and display.

post #50 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Could this be any uglier?

MS design is inspired by this:

post #51 of 183
Quote:

Nice improvement but the main presenter came across so douchie. His speak would have been better for a late night infomercial convincing the sleep deprived elderly to part with their money.

Even us sleep deprived elderly are smarter than that....

post #52 of 183
But can you dance with the thing? That's what I want to know!
post #53 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Watch the video at: http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/20/microsoft-surface-event-livestream/

As for the kb -- the kb is firm with a small, flexible top that attaches to the tablet. Then, you can push the kb towards the tablet and the flexible top tilts up and binds the kb to the tablet with powerful magnets. It becomes as a clamshell -- a firm kb attached to a firm display -- move one and the other moves in concert!

There are a lot of very good ideas implemented in this device.

Good is not great iPads are GREAT!!!!!

post #54 of 183

Well, as has been proven many times, the best solution does not always win with customers. It's weird. Look at Android, inferior design, but cheap so people like it. 

post #55 of 183
post #56 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Now that's funny. A little mean, but still funny! :)

post #57 of 183

Could you imagine being a designer/engineer and walking into Steve Jobs' office with that piece of clickity-clackity crap? :)

post #58 of 183
It seems MS listened to its future customers.
Smart move, maybe the software is on par also.
Currently iOS is far too restricted in its use and this gives MS and possibly others a big window of opportunity.

Edit: I see one big min already, the screen looks plastic.
Edited by knowitall - 5/20/14 at 11:34am
post #59 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Well, as has been proven many times, the best solution does not always win with customers. It's weird. Look at Android, inferior design, but cheap so people like it. 

You should have stopped with "its cheap". People purchase cheap shit, but that doesnt mean they like the product. Also, people are not buying "Android". They're buying an X phone, which just happens to have Android installed by default, because its installed on almost every phone that isn't an iPhone. 99% of people who buy Android phones are not buying it because of the OS. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/20/14 at 11:41am
post #60 of 183

I imagine that engineer needing a colostomy following the butt chewing he'd get!

post #61 of 183

Very impressive.

Check out full video of event here (skip to 6:30)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx

:)

post #62 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

It seems MS listened to its future customers.
Smart move, maybe the software is on par also.
Currently iOS is far too restricted in its use and this gives MS and possibly others a big window of opportunity.

Edit: I see one big min already, the screen looks plastic.

Haha. The iPad has been out since 2010. There's always an opportunity but no one is buying that tripe.
post #63 of 183
Quote:

That might be because it needs all the support it can get, from any angle.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #64 of 183

Problem is...it still runs Windows and specifically Windows 8 which isn't a very popular OS, even on a tablet. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #65 of 183

What's a Zune?...

post #66 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripragged View Post

It's runs Windows. Windows is dead. I expect to see as many of these in the wild as I did Zunes.

Not so sure ...

For example, when Apple screwed up the initial release of FCPX -- it caused quite a few film editors to migrate from FCP to Adobe Premiere (runs on both OSX and Windows).

Many editors will take a MacBookAir or a MacBookPro on-site so they can ingest, log and begin editing. With the Surface Pro 3, you can do this, now, on-site with a kb and Adobe Premiere.

The Adobe preso was for Photoshop which was updated to work without a KB. The Adobe rep alluded to other Adobe products coming for the Surface Pro 3.

If Adobe updates Premiere for tablet use on the Surface Pro 3 then the on-site editor, would be able to move around, holding the tablet in one hand ...

This is a very desirable capability for many video edit use cases:
  • live performance/music events
  • weddings
  • reality shows
  • sports events

There are other pc/tablet activities where dual-usability has advantages.

As of today, developers can only develop dual-useability apps for the Surface Pro 3 (or similar MS OEM devices).

If, as I suspect, Apple releases a 12" iPad Pro -- I hope that it will provide similar capabilities -- it will be interesting to see if it is accomplished with an ARM or an Intel APU.

I hope that Apple was not blind-sided by this announcement ... I certainly was!

post #67 of 183
This just shows how after over a decade MS can't understand why they can't sell tablets. Here is what they need instead of a big screen, pin, and kickstand.

A cover that does not flop around when picked up. One that can stay closed.

A option for a cell connection so you can have GPS and Internet when out of Wy-Fi range.

A understanding that tablets are to do work that laptops can't. If you spend most of your time at a desk than you don't need a tablet to do your job. A tablet is for people who do real work on the road, in the sunshine, and on their feet.

One that your not afraid to drop on something other than carpet.

One that only has ports you need everyday so it is easier to hold all day.

Maybe they should look at Apple's ads to see what people are doing with their iPads.
post #68 of 183
Quote:

Nice improvement but the main presenter came across so douchie. His speak would have been better for a late night infomercial convincing the sleep deprived elderly to part with their money.

I agree about the tablet. I totally agree about about the presenter -- his verbosity was only exceeded by his insincerity!

post #69 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Very impressive.

Check out full video of event here (skip to 6:30)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx

:)

As impressive as a turd.

post #70 of 183
Quote:

You should have stopped with "its cheap". People purchase cheap shit, but that doesnt mean they like the product. Also, people are not buying "Android". They're buying an X phone, which just happens to have Android installed by default, because its installed on almost every phone that isn't an iPhone. 99% of people who buy Android phones are not buying it because of the OS. 

Yeah, and they have an inferior user experience. You're right, the vast majority of Android users I have seen love it, for example, because of the "big screen" - features that have nothing to do with the OS. Most Android users also don't care about the UX either, which kills me. Guess that's why I use Apple to begin with, among other reasons.

post #71 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Now that's funny. A little mean, but still funny! 1smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Could you imagine being a designer/engineer and walking into Steve Jobs' office with that piece of clickity-clackity crap? 1smile.gif

Here ya' go:

post #72 of 183
undefined
post #73 of 183

Not the time for Apple to become complacent. These devices will sneak up on and surpass tablets very quickly.

post #74 of 183

Terrible concept.

If I want a laptop, I'll use my Macbook.

If I want a tablet, I'll use my iPad.

The MS device fails at being a better tablet than an iPad, and it fails at being a better laptop than a Macbook, therefore it is useless.

I think that it's a mistake to try and combine two different categories of devices into one, when the combined result is bad.

post #75 of 183
Excuse me! Gutter/clicko/liars blog press, but where are all the cries of lack of innovation, MS is doomed. Oh that's - right Microsoft is NOT expected to actually makes something new. This is simply a drop in price disguised as a new tablet and a friction doohickey to make it look like innovation. Remember the previously overpriced model was stinking the place up so they had to do something to gain traction. Too little and way too late as usual for Microsoft. Microsoft is even more irrelevant than ever. In order to compete it would have to be start selling scarface at $499 and be as light as an iPad. massive fail! MS is trying to get it faithful to buy it, but I don't see it myself as stated in other posts. Anyhow I thought Microsoft was a software company. Its lost its identity!

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #76 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A visual catastrophe.

Thanks for the picture it loos to me like a deck chair in a art studio, all glitz, little functionality, which is very ironic since MS has been one of the loudest critics of Apple calling their products toys/no meat etc. Is that why its called a surface because its so superficial?

post #77 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Not the time for Apple to become complacent. These devices will sneak up on and surpass tablets very quickly.

Right, a tablet will surface tablets very quickly. Makes perfect sense¡

post #78 of 183

Microsoft will continue down this path until it is successful, even if they have to include a surface upon which the surface can rest so it can actually be used in your lap. It will slide out from under the keyboard (when desired) and give a place for the kickstand to rest. You can have this idea for free Microsoft.

post #79 of 183

Is there a huge demand for three wheeled vehicles?

Tablets are like motorcycles (2 wheels), and laptops are like cars (four wheels).

What MS has done is blended both and come up with a three wheeled vehicle, that's neither better than a motorcycle or a car, and how many three wheeled vehicles do you see on the road?

Edited by Apple ][ - 5/20/14 at 12:58pm
post #80 of 183
any comment on run time? These things need to run for at least 8 hours, preferably 10!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft unveils $799 Surface Pro 3, calls it 'the tablet that can replace your laptop'