or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators

Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators - Page 4

post #121 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Google is selling to the Android crowd, a crowd that will do anything to save a buck, so putting ads on anything and everything certainly makes sense. There are people out there who will buy these products, as long as they cost less than the proper ads free versions of these products.

In the future, Google will be implanting a chip into people for free, and it will be the next version of "Android" in the truest sense of the world. Google will basically own people, and there are definitely people out there who are dumb enough to do this, as long as it's free or extremely low cost. Just look at how many people use cheap and free Android phones. Googles Glass is only a taste of what's to come.

Cross eyed people everywhere will be walking around like robots on drugs, being served up Ads 24-7. Even when they sleep, Google will tap into these people's brains and the word Fandroid will take on a whole new meaning.

It will be the perfect idiocracy society. People wont have to drive themselves anymore, there's Google's automated cars for that, and people wont even have to think anymore, and why should they, because the microchip implanted into their bodies will be much smarter than many people's brains, especially people who can't afford anything.

There is no shortage of cheap people who will whore themselves out to Google, allowing and accepting Ads to placed everywhere.

You're sadly right. If Google had their way, your funeral would be funded by ads, served at the funeral. Ditto your wedding, your baptism, your time on the loo, your honeymoon, etc.

Your child's first word will be "Gurggle."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #122 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're correct. Future autonomous cars are expected to be much safer than current cars driven by human beings.

http://www.webpronews.com/google-driverless-car-tickets-should-come-our-way-2014-05

You're much more likely to be injured by human error behind the wheel, either yours or another drivers. Can you beat that light? Whos' calling you? Look at that girl/guy/car! What's the nav showing me for the next turn.

Self-driving cars won't suffer these distractions that even plague unimpaired drivers.

I saw a video of one car that's being tested and they had people walking in front of the car, but the car slowed down to a crawl and stopped at least 50 feet in front of the person. I think these cameras might sense too many potential problems and the car will end up going too slow on public roads and slowing down and stopping every little time it senses some sort of potential danger, even though most people aren't going to stop before a pedestrian 50 feet away.

I think it's got a LONG way to go. I can only imagine these cars will drive much too cautiously and that's even a danger. Ever see those people that drive 35 mph on the freeway when everyone else is going 55mph? That's just as much of a danger as well.

I think the whole thing is getting far too much hype and people just need to know people are working on it, but not to expect anything affordable for the masses for a LONG time and be done with it.

The overhyping of this is what is getting or has gotten too old. It's just not something to worry about.

You've hit the nail on the head.

As a driver, how do you know what a pedestrian is going to do? You go by instinct. How do you teach a computer that? It's an incredibly complex thing, anticipating and judging what people do; we take it for granted. To replicate a human driver would be astronomically expensive. Look at flying: how many planes take off and land without a pilot? Zero. How long has auto-pilot existed? Decades.
post #123 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You've hit the nail on the head.

As a driver, how do you know what a pedestrian is going to do? You go by instinct. How do you teach a computer that? It's an incredibly complex thing, anticipating and judging what people do; we take it for granted. To replicate a human driver would be astronomically expensive. Look at flying: how many planes take off and land without a pilot? Zero. How long has auto-pilot existed? Decades.

I think that being in a driverless car in a test track screwing around would be fun for a little while, but to have a car that drives that way on the streets?   I don't know about that. I would think that would be just a little too scary of a proposition and I think what would end up happening is that I would not like it enough to want to just turn the thing off and drive it myself because it's not driving the way I would drive.

post #124 of 125
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think that being in a driverless car in a test track screwing around would be fun for a little while, but to have a car that drives that way on the streets?   I don't know about that. I would think that would be just a little too scary of a proposition and I think what would end up happening is that I would not like it enough to want to just turn the thing off and drive it myself because it's not driving the way I would drive.

I believe that self-driving cars will be a spectacular asset for people convicted of drunk driving or other license-revoking crimes who try to use the excuse “I need a car to get to work.” They’ll be granted a government-owned self-driving car (for which they’ll have to provide fuel) programmed to only drive from A to B. I also think they’ll do beautifully on the Interstate in terms of reducing congestion.

But I don’t trust Google with my Internet searches. Why would I trust them with my life?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #125 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe that self-driving cars will be a spectacular asset for people convicted of drunk driving or other license-revoking crimes who try to use the excuse “I need a car to get to work.” They’ll be granted a government-owned self-driving car (for which they’ll have to provide fuel) programmed to only drive from A to B. I also think they’ll do beautifully on the Interstate in terms of reducing congestion.

But I don’t trust Google with my Internet searches. Why would I trust them with my life?

I think it will be much cheaper if those people just took a cab, bus, or got someone else to drive that splurging on a driverless car.  Driverless cars, with the increased cost of insurance might be too expensive at this point in time, so I think it's far too immature of a technology.  Personally, I would be too afraid to leave one of those cars on the street parked over night for fear of some loser trying to screw​ with the expensive spinning camera on top.  I don't know how easy it is to screw them up, but if that camera doesn't work properly, it's RIPPING expensive to replace and I don't particularly feel like taking that risk.

yeah, I think Google should just focus on internet searches rather than some method of trying to get attention with driverless cars.  I don't think Google will be selling the cars themselves, so I don't know how they plan on monetizing it.  Ads on the screen?  I'm sick of ads.    That's the last place I want advertising.

Didn't those idiots have to remove that barge they had in the SF bay not too long ago?  Freakin idiots.  They couldn't get their permits together.   They just can't seem to get their act together, can they?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators