or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators

Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Go google a piece of software for yourself, and see the ads of alternate download links that are malicious. It's there every time you search for a piece of software. This is not the work of "hackers".. it's the work of Google allowing ad companies to run malware into their ads. 

I did as you instructed last time by searching for Adobe Flash and I didn't get any ads of any kind whatsoever. The entire first page of results was links to Adobe. Of course if you were suggesting that Flash itself is malware, you would probably get a lot of thumbs up around here.

Please tell me what search words produce a repeatable demonstration of your claim.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

They will definitely need to get the costs down. I don't imagine even a wealthy person would much care to pay that much additional to add self-driving capability (it should at least be cheaper than a chauffeur, right?). Thanks for the article link, as you said, it was interesting.

They can't get this thing bullet proof and not charge an arm and a leg for it.  One little tiny little problem and that thing crashes and THEN you are REALLY F'd up.  Even a car that's maintained in brand new condition, which 99.999% of the cars aren't and there is STILL room for error. In a driverless car there is 0 room for error other wise people get hurt and then the lawsuits start piling up.

I don't care how much money you have.  All it takes is one little electrical problem and that thing is then useless.

It's impossible to make things at NASA level reliability for the mass market and not have to charge a fortune for it.  IMPOSSIBLE.  Even NASA has problems from time to time and they are as close to bullet proof as you can get.

Just off the top of my head, that car has to constantly monitor the total weight, brake pad wear, tire wear, ball joints wearing as that impacts how the car has to drive itself.  Then there is problems with hydraulic fluid leaking, electrical, etc. etc.  I would think that Google and others have to have their cars go through a safety check each time they drive the damn thing on public roads.  What happens when someone tries to modify their car (lots of people do that)?  I just think there are too many areas that are exposed to screwing up and that can causes accidents, lost lives and/or lost limbs and lawsuits.  Bottom line, it's a FAIL.

Edited by drblank - 5/21/14 at 12:50pm
post #83 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Nope. You're wrong. Since one of the concepts of a "smart fridge" is for it to know what you're running low on, expect to see "hey, you're almost out of Diet Coke - Kroger Home Delivery suggests you try Diet Pepsi - on sale today Just For You (R)"

That might happen but it wouldn't be AdSense as the article claims because AdSense only works in webpages. If the refrigerator had a browser it might work but only if I allowed it to. For it to upload my grocery inventory to a server without permission, seems like it would be a violation of applicable laws.

post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know why people always blame Google for excessive advertising. Have you looked at a newspaper, magazine, television, billboards in the city, or listened to the radio recently? All packed with ads and Google had nothing to do it. Advertising is pervasive in modern society. It is not just Google?

I seriously doubt Google is going to make a refrigerator and put ads on it. That is not the way it works. They haven't put ads on any of their hardware to my knowledge, although Amazon has done that with their device.

It is not Google, but other companies that are responsible for the ads you see in search results and commercial website like AI. Those companies create the ads and pay for them to be displayed. Google simply maintains the algorithm that attempts to find an appropriate ad that will be of interest to a reader. If you are a tech guy, would you rather they displayed an ad for high tech gadgets or or some random ad for feminine hygiene? Either way there is going to be an ad there because that is how capitalism works.

This is an apples & oranges argument print, billboard, etc. ads do not collect personal data & sell it to anyone that will pay them.

post #85 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

This is an apples & oranges argument print, billboard, etc. ads do not collect personal data & sell it to anyone that will pay them.

I don't recall Google ever being proved guilty of that. Do you have any authoritative references?

post #86 of 125
Unlike like the jet pack the refridgeroaster is a definite possibility.
post #87 of 125
[duplicate]
Edited by drow - 5/21/14 at 1:16pm
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #88 of 125
Quote:

I don't recall Google ever being proved guilty of that. Do you have any authoritative references?

How does google target advertising? Who pays Google for advertising & why? You didn't address the point of my argument.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/technology/google-engineer-told-others-of-data-collection-fcc-report-reveals.html?_r=0

Edited by Splif - 5/21/14 at 1:19pm
post #89 of 125
Quote:

That might happen but it wouldn't be AdSense as the article claims because AdSense only works in webpages. If the refrigerator had a browser it might work but only if I allowed it to. For it to upload my grocery inventory to a server without permission, seems like it would be a violation of applicable laws.

that is a shocking lack of imagination, which Google has not itself displayed.  it'll upload your grocery inventory whenever and wherever it likes, and Google will use and sell that information, because its a service you implicitly agreed to when you purchased your GoogleFridge and broke the shrinkwrap.  THAT'S THE MODEL.

>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by drow View Post

that is a shocking lack of imagination, which Google has not itself displayed.  it'll upload your grocery inventory whenever and wherever it likes, and Google will use and sell that information, because its a service you implicitly agreed to when you purchased your GoogleFridge and broke the shrinkwrap.  THAT'S THE MODEL.

You have imagination. I'll give you that.

post #91 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They can't get this thing bullet proof and not charge an arm and a leg for it.  One little tiny little problem and that thing crashes and THEN you are REALLY F'd up. 

Just think how f'd up it will be the first time a human driver crashes a car. We'll never be able to use them again.

post #92 of 125
Quote:

Semantics. Google will sell access to your into to anyone.
post #93 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Just think how f'd up it will be the first time a human driver crashes a car. We'll never be able to use them again.

This is different.   What happens if a car has a malfunction and it causes the car to be in an accident?  The auto maker gets sued.  They have infinitely more money than the average person with some auto insurance. 

post #94 of 125
Quote:

This is different.   What happens if a car has a malfunction and it causes the car to be in an accident?  The auto maker gets sued.  They have infinitely more money than the average person with some auto insurance. 
FWIW Google asks to be held responsible for any moving violations that occur from someone using one of their self-driving cars rather that what the government considers the "driver". . I imagine Google expects to be held responsible if their car goes wonky and causes an accident. Those accidents would be expected to be far fewer than those attributed to human drivers.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #95 of 125
Quote:

It's just a matter of time. Cars with cruise control engaged have been in crashes, and we still have cruise control. Now we have adaptive cc and brake assist, lane line warnings, obstacle detection, etc.  It's going to happen. If Apple has to implement a version for the rest of the public to trust it, then so be it, but it's going to happen.

post #96 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW Google asks to be held responsible for any moving violations that occur from someone using one of their self-driving cars rather that what the government considers the "driver". . I imagine Google expects to be held responsible if their car goes wonky and causes an accident. Those accidents would be expected to be far fewer than those attributed to human drivers.

What Google is doing now has nothing to do with full scale production for the masses, they are just talking about their prototypes.  BIG DIFFERENCE.

Look at Toyota, GM and others with their various recalls and that's just simple stuff.  This is logarithmically more complex of a system with a lot more room for error in the mechanical aspects of the system.

They are talking about these prototypes. Google won't be making the cars they sell on the open market.   How often are the cars that Google is testing get a safety check?  I'm sure they are running those cars through safety checks more often than the average person fills their tank with gas.  They need to ensure that there are no hydraulic leaks, electrical issues, etc.  Plus, Google isn't making these things by the tens or hundreds of thousands and right now it costs at least a good $75 to $85K to retro fit a Prius.  I wouldn't drive one of those things.

Any moving violations?  That means speeding tickets, running a red light, etc.  First they have to get caught.

But Google isn't planning on selling these just anywhere are they?  Like I'm going to send them a brand new car to retrofit?  Those idiots can't even make a decent OS for a smartphone.  And people are going to trust these idiots with a driverless car?

The biggest four problems why people get into accidents are due to drugs, alcohol, being tired, or someone just being stupid.  If you remove people from being able to drive while being under the influence of drugs/alcohol you would drop the accident rates tremendously.  It's that simple.   Heaven forbid us to have cars that can be driven by someone that's drunk or stoned out of their mind.

post #97 of 125
Not.

Shocked.
post #98 of 125
Quote:

These things aren't bumper cars at a local amusement park.  

post #99 of 125

What more do you need? uninstall Google incredible.

post #100 of 125
Quote:

Wait, so you can no longer operate Google search?

Not... quite what I said, but thanks for playing.

post #101 of 125
Quote:

It's just a matter of time. Cars with cruise control engaged have been in crashes, and we still have cruise control. Now we have adaptive cc and brake assist, lane line warnings, obstacle detection, etc.  It's going to happen. If Apple has to implement a version for the rest of the public to trust it, then so be it, but it's going to happen.

Apple isn't working on a driverless car, but there are universities that are using Apple computers to do it.  There was one with an iPad, but it's the rest of the crap they put in/out of the car that the auto makers would have to do. It's not some issue where you simply plug in an iPad.  The heart of these systems are the camera (expensive), more precise GPS systems, sensors and all of the actuators to monitors and control everything. It's just too costly now and in the future.  

Just adding these pre braking systems costs a couple of grand and they just brake when the camera senses an object in front of the car, but driverless is a WHOLE lot more complex.

I read articles written in the auto industry and they basically indicated that we'll see certain features of a driverless car in production long before they start mass producing 100% driverless cars and it will take something like around 50 years before the technology becomes affordable for the masses.  until then, it's just a marking ploy for Google.  They haven't seen a dime from their efforts and probably won't for a LONG time.

post #102 of 125

:smokey:

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #103 of 125
Quote:

These things aren't bumper cars at a local amusement park.  

You're correct. Future autonomous cars are expected to be much safer than current cars driven by human beings.

http://www.webpronews.com/google-driverless-car-tickets-should-come-our-way-2014-05
Quote:

The biggest four problems why people get into accidents are due to drugs, alcohol, being tired, or someone just being stupid.  If you remove people from being able to drive while being under the influence of drugs/alcohol you would drop the accident rates tremendously.  It's that simple.   Heaven forbid us to have cars that can be driven by someone that's drunk or stoned out of their mind.
You're much more likely to be injured by human error behind the wheel, either yours or another drivers. Can you beat that light? Whos' calling you? Look at that girl/guy/car! What's the nav showing me for the next turn.

Self-driving cars won't suffer these distractions that even plague unimpaired drivers.
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/21/14 at 3:30pm
post #104 of 125
Quote:

You're correct. Future autonomous cars are expected to be much safer than current cars driven by human beings. You're much more likely to be injured by human error behind the wheel, either yours or another drivers.

The problem is the reliability of these systems if/when they get massed produced and the level at which they are maintained by the owner.

How many cars on the road are properly maintained?  I've been in a lot of other people's cars that have problems because the owner can't afford to fix them.  it doesn't take much to get into an accident and these driverless cars are going to require a substantial amount more maintenance.  

Think of it this way, if the car is in immaculate condition and it's designed properly, it might do OK, but it's STILL a ways off.

How much safety checks and maintenance does Google do on their test cars before they drive them in a parking lot?

How much additional maintenance are they going to require?  

I'm usually pretty anal retentive when it comes to maintaining my own cars and even as often as I would do things, I think it wasn't in brand new showroom condition after the first year.  Brake pads, brake rotors, tires, wear.  After about 100,000 miles and taking my car in with a perfect maintenance record, it stated to have little issues and little things that just make the car not drive exactly as it did off the showroom and having all of these additional things involved would make it more expensive to maintain because the computer has to always take any changes in the car's abilities into account.

When mfg like Mercedes were working on their PreSafe technology they rolled out about 10 years ago, they were in development for at least a decade and they are STILL making small improvements to the high end system.  I just think Google and the media is making this out to be a media promotion and that it's a LONG ways off from your average Joe buying one of these things.

post #105 of 125
my recent experience with what i now refer to as "the google mentality": i'm in a classroom with 7 other folks and the instructor. one of the other folks is someone i've been in other classes with several times before, and who i've known since our first class together to be a google employee.

mid-way through the this most recent class the google employee casually mentions something to me about "recording". turns out he has been recording all the audio from the class since it began in the morning. turns out he also recorded all the audio from every other class we had been in. he never asked anyone. he never got anyone's consent. he never told anyone. he just turned on his recorder and let it sit there. he just figured he was entitled to record it because he wanted it. (he was recording it via an inconspicuous pen device sitting atop an external drive.) when he said he was recording i asked him to stop. he got a little indignant about that but did turn it off.

he was in the class as a google employee. furthering my belief that google is just a bunch of schmucks who will take whatever they can as long as they think they can get away with it.

do no evil, my ass.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #106 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

my recent experience with what i now refer to as "the google mentality": i'm in a classroom with 7 other folks and the instructor. one of the other folks is someone i've been in other classes with several times before, and who i've known since our first class together to be a google employee.

mid-way through the this most recent class the google employee casually mentions something to me about "recording". turns out he has been recording all the audio from the class since it began in the morning. turns out he also recorded all the audio from every other class we had been in. he never asked anyone. he never got anyone's consent. he never told anyone. he just turned on his recorder and let it sit there. he just figured he was entitled to record it because he wanted it. (he was recording it via an inconspicuous pen device sitting atop an external drive.) when he said he was recording i asked him to stop. he got a little indignant about that but did turn it off.

he was in the class as a google employee. furthering my belief that google is just a bunch of schmucks who will take whatever they can as long as they think they can get away with it.

do no evil, my ass.

When i was taking college classes years ago it was common to see several students recording the lectures. That was long before Google existed. 1rolleyes.gif
post #107 of 125
Quote:

I just think Google and the media is making this out to be a media promotion and that it's a LONG ways off from your average Joe buying one of these things.

IMO you're right. For the "average Joe" it's probably years away.
post #108 of 125
Quote:

You're correct. Future autonomous cars are expected to be much safer than current cars driven by human beings.

http://www.webpronews.com/google-driverless-car-tickets-should-come-our-way-2014-05

You're much more likely to be injured by human error behind the wheel, either yours or another drivers. Can you beat that light? Whos' calling you? Look at that girl/guy/car! What's the nav showing me for the next turn.

Self-driving cars won't suffer these distractions that even plague unimpaired drivers.

I saw a video of one car that's being tested and they had people walking in front of the car, but the car slowed down to a crawl and stopped at least 50 feet in front of the person. I think these cameras might sense too many potential problems and the car will end up going too slow on public roads and slowing down and stopping every little time it senses some sort of potential danger, even though most people aren't going to stop before a pedestrian 50 feet away.

I think it's got a LONG way to go. I can only imagine these cars will drive much too cautiously and that's even a danger. Ever see those people that drive 35 mph on the freeway when everyone else is going 55mph? That's just as much of a danger as well.

I think the whole thing is getting far too much hype and people just need to know people are working on it, but not to expect anything affordable for the masses for a LONG time and be done with it.

The overhyping of this is what is getting or has gotten too old. It's just not something to worry about.
post #109 of 125

This is so awesome.

Now that Google Glass has been shown to give many people headaches (who would have guessed that?), Google could immediately post an aspirin commercial right to somebody's eyeballs. They could even send out a driverless car to go pick it up.

Keep innovating, Google!

post #110 of 125
It doesn't matter what they put an ad on. They were asked to disclose the revenue from phones. It's simple. Disclose the information on phones. Keep ad revenue on all your other devices private. No one cares at the moment. It's a simple request with a simple answer.
post #111 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

You know it's not that simple.  It's all going to come down to levels of tolerance vs. aversion.

My new TV was selected on a number of features unrelated to its Internet connectivity.  But after connecting it thusly, I get an ad popup every time I adjust the volume.  That, apparently, is the "price" for being connected.  (And not "promoted" - your word - by the brand, nor mentioned by any salesperson prior to purchase...)

As a consumer, do I have options?  Yes: I could choose another make and/or model that doesn't do this.  But another model may not use the same display tech, may not have other characteristics (e.g., reliability) I consider desirable.

Just because I choose to keep this TV and use it, doesn't mean I strongly feel that ads suck.  Purchasing this product should not necessarily extrapolate the idea that I have "accepted" ads.

Netflix has proven the ad model is a failure. People have voted with their wallets and prefer to pay for a service with no ads.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Netflix has proven the ad model is a failure. People have voted with their wallets and prefer to pay for a service with no ads.

I dunno. There's an awful lot of YouTube traffic too.

post #113 of 125
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The problem here is that we don’t necessarily have a single variable against which to weigh these systems.

We’d love to compare, say, iTunes, Netflix, and Hulu, but we can’t. The content isn’t the same, and neither is the system.

iTunes and Hulu have generally the same content (one with ads, one without), but iTunes downloads and Hulu streams. Hulu and Netflix stream, one with ads and one without, but the content base is different.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #114 of 125
Quote:

When i was taking college classes years ago it was common to see several students recording the lectures. That was long before Google existed.

Often recording of events for ones own personal use is acceptable, however not allowed for commercial use or unauthorized publishing.

post #115 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Didn't we all see this coming. This alone will kill sales of these devices. As cool as something like the Nest Thermostat is, I don't believe people will want a Google Ad on their thermostat and I doubt most would pay extra to not have ads. This is something that shouldn't have ads in the first place. Nest killed shot themselves in the foot as soon as they partnered with Google. 

I don't need a Kraft Mac n Cheese ad running on the fridge when I go to open it. My kitchen isn't a friggin' Wal-mart. I don't need to be persuaded to purchase something every time I open the refrigerator door. 

There are places for ads to be and wearable devices, appliances, and cars are not it. Google is throwing mud at the wall with all of this with hopes that something sticks. 

Did you see the Kraft Ninja Turtle ad? Really funny!
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #116 of 125
Quote:

Google doesn't say that advertising will appear on these other systems. They use the possibility as an argument against splitting out mobile revenue specifically since thermostats, refrigerators and the like wouldn't fit that category. In other words there could be more than two categories, mobile and desktop, at some future point and starting to define revenue by specific source now could become problematic from both an investor and competitive angle.

If consumers reject ads on refrigerators and such then I wouldn't expect them to be promoted. Kinda against the point of advertising if it's a turn-off isn't it?

Psh.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

I think I'm glad I'm old and will die in the not too distant future

Ads on every surface you look at? The thought is enough to make one throw up.

You're lucky. I would love to join you.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #118 of 125
Quote:

Quote:

Too bad iOS doesn't let you install ad blockers. I am always shocked whenever I use my iPad to surf the web. That's another reason why I prefer my Mac - no ads!

Reader solves that dilemma.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:

I think I'm glad I'm old and will die in the not too distant future

That's the way I feel about all the fast food establishments.

Then you've never had a Mcdonalds double cheeseburger.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #120 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

The sheep often called the American consumer will accept it the same way they accepted 33% of their TV time is advertisements, movie theaters showing ads before the feature, ads embedded into content such as sitcoms, ads on just about every web page that exist, etc...

That's where iTunes comes into its own: tv shows with no ads. Bliss.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators