or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple preps for WWDC 2014 with June 2 keynote announcement, new app for iPhone & iPad

Apple preps for WWDC 2014 with June 2 keynote announcement, new app for iPhone & iPad

post #1 of 25
With only a few weeks to go before the 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple on Wednesday released the official schedule for its annual developer event, confirming that it will hold a keynote presentation on Monday, June 2.

The keynote will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, which is Apple's traditional start time. This year's event is expected to introduce the next-generation versions of its iOS mobile operating system and OS X Mac platform.

In addition, Apple on Wednesday updated its official WWDC application for iPhone and iPad, bringing a cleaner aesthetic in line with its overall iOS 7 design.

While last year's application carried a purple tint, Apple has opted for an orange-ish hue this year with WWDC version 2.0. In detailing what's new for the latest version, Apple simply said that users can "download this update to get all the latest news and information for WWDC 2014 as it's posted."

Maps and other information for the conference are presented on a plain white background. The icons for the four main categories of the application -- schedule, maps, news and videos -- have also been tweaked from last year's version.

Apple announced that WWDC 2014 would kick off on June 2 in early April. The sold-out conference will be held at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif.

Events scheduled for WWDC 2014 include:

• More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
  • more than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
  • the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design;
  • the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world--last year more than 60 countries were represented;
  • a new series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities;
    engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With only a few weeks to go before the 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference [ . . . ]

a 'few weeks'? try '12 days'.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #3 of 25
I am really excited about this. I always watch the keynote as soon as possible. Maybe I can make it to watch it live this time.
post #4 of 25
I love how most of these are labeled TBA or "Shh can't tell you yet". lol.gif One thing I hope we see in iOS 8 is darken colors being default, not something you turn on in accessibility settings. I have that turned on and the shade of orange in this app is so much better, especially against the white background.
post #5 of 25

At least they didn’t make a FOURTH one this year… :no:

post #6 of 25
Given that most developers weren't able to get seats and some can't afford the airfare, Apple really should consider hosting satellite conferences in other cities.
post #7 of 25
Here's some of the TBA session names. Love Apple's sense of humor.

No Comment
This One Is Sealed
Shhhh, Can't Tell You Yet
It's Under Wraps
Still Our Secret
You'll Find Out In A Few Days
It's Still Confidential
It's Confidential
We're Not Telling
You'll Never Guess This One
We Still Really Can't Say
You're Just Going to Have to Wait a Little Longer
It's Still Our Little Secret
We'd Really Love To Tell You
It's Still Under Wraps
It's a Secret
This One's a Doozy
We're Not Telling Yet
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Given that most developers weren't able to get seats and some can't afford the airfare, Apple really should consider hosting satellite conferences in other cities.

We've gone over this. Apple uses their own engineers for this so having even more engineers fly around the world to host secondary conferences isn't feasible.

But don't worry, the videos are uploaded very quickly so all the content by the trained engineers will be available without all the cost.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #9 of 25

Last year the app was broken for months, making it impossible to go back and review presentations.  I hope they do a better job of keeping this app functional this year...

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We've gone over this. Apple uses their own engineers for this so having even more engineers fly around the world to host secondary conferences isn't feasible.

But don't worry, the videos are uploaded very quickly so all the content by the trained engineers will be available without all the cost.
The videos are great and I remember a lot of them being available on demand same day.
post #11 of 25
Is it my imagination, or are there a lot more of these "TBA" sessions than in the past?
post #12 of 25

You guys sure complain a lot. It's like talking to my GF...I come here to get away from that! Oh well.

post #13 of 25
So true. 1smile.gif
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You guys sure complain a lot. It's like talking to my GF...I come here to get away from that! Oh well.

Some people think that complaining a lot shows that they are intelligent, power-users and pro's jaded by the whole Apple thing.

post #15 of 25
If anyone will be there, please ask those developers about screencall changes.. Why they remove beautiful big photos?
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Some people think that complaining a lot shows that they are intelligent, power-users and pro's jaded by the whole Apple thing.

Thanks Ric...it does seem to be the "default" reaction. Brings me down.... 

Ok, I'm back up again! :)

post #17 of 25

That shade of orange is gorgeous, as is the gradient, and the thin border at the bottom to give the icon a bit of dimension. I wish they used that same look for all their iOS7 icons, with different colors. More saturated and less faded pastel-like. 

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Get a new GF. Sucks to be with someone who is always a whiner and a downer. 

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Get a new GF. Sucks to be with someone who is always a whiner and a downer. 

Ok.

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's some of the TBA session names. Love Apple's sense of humor.

No Comment
This One Is Sealed
Shhhh, Can't Tell You Yet
It's Under Wraps
Still Our Secret
You'll Find Out In A Few Days
It's Still Confidential
It's Confidential
We're Not Telling
You'll Never Guess This One
We Still Really Can't Say
You're Just Going to Have to Wait a Little Longer
It's Still Our Little Secret
We'd Really Love To Tell You
It's Still Under Wraps
It's a Secret
This One's a Doozy
We're Not Telling Yet

Yeah, much better than normal titles like:

All about H.265 (and Why You Haven't Heard a Peep about it in Years)

Introduction, the new Apple Autostereoscopic 8K Displays

Mac Pro Speedbump 1 (Programming for 48-cores)

iPhone 7 sessions (TBA)

Undocumented Features 1, How to "Take Over" your friend's Nest Thermostat

Brainwave Monitoring (Lab Preview)

Wireless Power for iPhone, Care and Feeding

Mac Pro Speedbump 2 (Bitcoin Mining Fabric Instruction Set)

M8 Co-processor Technology for Medical Implant Applications

Inside the new Carrier-Free iMesh Network

Apple Inc. Strategy for Global Warming Reversal

iPhone 6G Design Language

Embedded iSearch for your Apps

3D iBuilder for the Masses (or, "Printing" w/Liquid Metal)

Mac Pro Speedbump 3 -- NSA Case Studies [Q-clearance Badges only]

Simutaneous Championship Go Demo (Networking Lab Hands-On)

Superhero Guest Lecture (TBA, Disney/Pixar Pavillion)

Thunderbolt Wireless Tech Today

Tesla/iCar Collaboration

iPhone 6P f/1.2 Camera Lens Revolution (or, Why Megapixels are Obsolete)

Virtual Apple "Spaceship" Headquarters Tour (Grand Ballroom A)

Behind the Scenes at Beats Fest (Treasure Island)

Implications of Apple Going Private (Roundtable, Annex B)

A Sample from Steve Jobs' Time Capsule (Breakout Sessions, Media/Press Only)

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That shade of orange is gorgeous, as is the gradient, and the thin border at the bottom to give the icon a bit of dimension. I wish they used that same look for all their iOS7 icons, with different colors. More saturated and less faded pastel-like. 
The orange in the app is even better when you have the darken colors toggle on.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Yeah, much better than normal titles like:

iPhone 6P f/1.2 Camera Lens Revolution (or, Why Megapixels are Obsolete)

Hope this doesn't violate the NDA...

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJones View Post

Is it my imagination, or are there a lot more of these "TBA" sessions than in the past?

Agreed, thats is why i think they'll be introducing something big, that we've all been waiting for. Such as new Apple TV interface with App Store and/or new Apple TV hardware, and maybe if we are lucky they'll unwrap the iWatch and show us it and tell us how to make Apps for it (hence the many events/work shops). At these work shops i think that they'll help developers/give them ideas for iWatch and Apple TV Apps and tell them where they think the product will go with Apps. 

post #24 of 25
can't wait to watch the keynote.
always hang on every word.
wish it were sooner!
post #25 of 25
I believe the 2nd is the official day for the stock split to take place. Makes sense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple preps for WWDC 2014 with June 2 keynote announcement, new app for iPhone & iPad