or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets

Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets

post #1 of 27
New research by Counterpoint indicates that 87 percent of Americans upgraded to smartphones by the end of March, with Apple remaining the top vendor.

Counterpoint's Market Monitor quarterly tracker for Q1 2014 pegged smartphone growth at 7 percent over the previous year.

While Samsung sold the most handsets, Apple remained the top vendor of U.S. smartphones. Counterpoint Research Director Neil Shah told AppleInsider that Apple's iOS claimed 36.9 percent of U.S. smartphones sold in the quarter, outside of the Android (59.2 percent), Windows Mobile (3.6 percent) and Blackberry (0.3 percent) sales that analyzed by the firm.

Apple accounted for the largest share of smartphones for three of the top four U.S. mobile carriers: 52 percent at AT&T, 51 percent at Verizon Wireless, and 36 percent at Sprint, while taking the second place spot behind Samsung on the more value-oriented T-Mobile/Metro PCS with 24 percent.Apple remained the top vendor of U.S. smartphones

Counterpoint noted that among all U.S. smartphones, 75 percent were LTE, and added that Apple and Samsung together accounted for 70 percent of those LTE shipments.

Following the release of iPhone 5 in late 2012, Apple rapidly became the leading vendor of American LTE smartphones, despite arriving to the LTE party nearly two years behind Android.

Parallel data echoes the same findings

Earlier this month, comScore's MobiLens report presented similar data that assigned Apple 39 percent of U.S. smartphone sales for the quarter ending in March.

Data from comScore indicated that Apple maintained 2.7 percent growth in U.S. market share over the previous quarter, while Samsung's share grew by only 0.7 percent and the other vendors in the top five (HTC, Motorola and LG) each lost share.

First quarter data from Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley similarly indicated Apple's iPhone 5s remained the top selling phone on all four U.S. carriers.

In terms of measurable use, Chitika Insights web traffic report for April assigned Apple's iOS platform a 53.1 percent majority of all smartphone web traffic, while all Android devices combined amounted to just 44.5 percent, and Windows Phone and Blackberry combined took the remaining 1.8 percent.
post #2 of 27
Where in the Counterpoint stats does it say that Apple has 87% of the US market?

This is what the Counterpoint article ACTUALLY SAID.

"According to latest research from Counterpoint%u2019s Market Monitor quarterly tracker program, USA smartphone market reached 33 million units at the end of Q1 2014. The smartphone market grew a modest 7% annually but now accounts for more than 87% of the total handset shipments, highest ever."

They weren't referring to Apple having 87% of the market, they said that the US smartphone market accounts for 87% of the TOTAL handset shipments.
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Where in the Counterpoint stats does it say that Apple has 87% of the US market?

"According to latest research from Counterpoint%u2019s Market Monitor quarterly tracker program, USA smartphone market reached 33 million units at the end of Q1 2014. The smartphone market grew a modest 7% annually but now accounts for more than 87% of the total handset shipments, highest ever."

They weren't referring to Apple having 87% of the market, they said that the US smartphone market accounts for 87% of the TOTAL handset shipments.

We are not co-editing a Wikipedia article. I spoke with the analyst. I'm a journalist and you are posting an anonymous comment in forums.

Also: the article doesn't say Apple took 87% of the market. That would obviously be wrong. 

post #4 of 27
Quote:

I do believe you misread.
post #5 of 27
Quote:

Re-read the title a few times. Pay attention to the comma. It might take some time but all will be revealed. I also had to go over it a few times. lol

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Re-read the title a few times. It might take some time but it will all be revealed. I had to go over it a few times. lol

Yeah, it's the comma that screws it up......

I know.  I speed read this stuff and that little comma gets lost easily.

I think he could have written the headline a little differently to avoid the easy mistake.

post #7 of 27
So what you are really saying is iOS vs Android sales by OS on each carrier goes as follows:

AT&T: iOS 52% & Android 48%
Verizon: iOS 51% & Android 49%
T-Mobile: iOS 24% & Android 76%
Spring: iOS 36% & Android 64%

What matters is not the device mfg but the OS. Since only one company makes iOS and many make Android devices. We certainly won't count Windows Phone or BB in this counting.

Bottom line is Android still gets huge sales and iphones are greatly helped by the low end iPhone 4/4S for Free or $.99.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

We are not co-editing a Wikipedia article. I spoke with the analyst. I'm a journalist and you are posting an anonymous comment in forums.

Also: the article doesn't say Apple took 87% of the market. That would obviously be wrong. 

I know, it's just that the headline could have been a little better written to avoid the mistake.  It's easy to not catch that little comma.  BTW, I got the quote from the link to the site you had listed.

post #9 of 27
Quote:

Yeah, it's the comma that screws it up......

I know.  I speed read this stuff and that little comma gets lost easily.

I think he could have written the headline a little differently to avoid the easy mistake.
That would get less clicks.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

So what you are really saying is iOS vs Android sales by OS on each carrier goes as follows:

What matters is not the device mfg but the OS. Since only one company makes iOS and many make Android devices. We certainly won't count Windows Phone or BB in this counting.

Bottom line is Android still gets huge sales and iphones are greatly helped by the low end iPhone 4/4S for Free or $.99.

1) You are counting WinPh and BB, but you're lumping them in with the Android totals. Why?

2) Android doesn't get any sales. It's a free OS. There are vendors using Android that get sales and Google sells services for certain Android devices but none of those are Android OS sales.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #11 of 27
Quote:

AT&T and Verizon are the big networks and iPhone is slightly ahead on both. The other two networks are second tier so you would expect more Android sales there but the actual numbers sold are dwarfed by the sales of the top networks. So the numbers look pretty close until you factor in all the cellular enabled tablets. And, by the way, I think it is pretty well recognized that iPhones keep their value longer so there are many more old iPhones still in use than there are old Android smartphones. I suspect in overall numbers of phones still in use, iOS blows away Android, at least in the US, which is a contributing factor to the web stats disparity.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #12 of 27
Quote:

No, the OS doesn't matter because Android doesn't make money. LG, HTC and Samsung are competitors, not partners trying to rid the world of iPhones. 

Also, iPhone 4/4S don't amount to a large proportion of Apple's sales. They're just important in specific countries. 

One can remain in fantasy land and feel secure knowing that tons of low end feature phones running Android are "relevant" and Apple's profits are not. But it doesn't change the fact that Android is keeping Microsoft and BlackBerry irrelevant while doing nothing but losing money while Apple bleeds the rest of the industry dry. All the delusion is quite entertaining. It's like watching Mussolini squirm while hanging upside down, thinking he's ruling the world.

post #13 of 27
Quote:

I know, it's just that the headline could have been a little better written to avoid the mistake.  It's easy to not catch that little comma.  BTW, I got the quote from the link to the site you had listed.

The title also caused me to take a double take.

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

post #15 of 27
Quote:

I remember the time the topic was a iris scanner and you thought it was a retina scanner until I pointed it out to you.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You'd have to be quite illiterate to be "confused" about the headline, the picture, or any other part of this article. 

Or obtusely unable to accept reality.

I didn't have my glasses on and I read the headline and didn't catch the comma.  Jeez. 

I am definitely NOT confused about the article.  It was just the headline that was a little misleading if one didn't catch the comma.  I didn't read the rest of the article because the headline is what was a little misleading due to a stupid comma.

I would have written it differently as to not add any confusion.  

It's not a big deal......

post #17 of 27
Quote:

I have had several G&Ts and split a nice bottle on vino followed by several brandies and yet, "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" reads as "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" ... what is confusing?

Sorry, I am a paid up member of 'DED can do no wrong' 1biggrin.gif . Seriously in a time when most media is bought and paid for by Samsung and Google people here criticize DED for being pro Apple on AI ...?
Edited by digitalclips - 5/21/14 at 8:15pm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #18 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

Does anyone who reads this site regularly even question that?  Daniel is masterful at it, and he rarely slips up.  It is fair game, especially on a *fan* site and is, in fact, his job.

Changing facts into stories that support 'the team' is absolutely fair game:

Suppose data showed android ad impression share at 42% and Apple at 38%  Now suppose Android phones had 40% and tablets 2%.  Apple phones had 24% and iPads had 14%.   Apple had 52% of ad profits, Android 33%

Perfectly fair game for an Apple site or DED to say:

Android and Apple ad impressions are running neck and neck as Android users have Google push more ads to them.  iPad blows virtually non-existing Android tablet representation away with over 90% of tablet ad share! <Insert many trashy comments about android tablets here>

And if an Android fan should point out Android now passes Apple in ad share (which Apple fans crowed about when Apple was ahead)...  Pfffttt... ad share, who cares?  Apple still dominates PROFITS!  Scurry along you poor inferior Android user.

On an Android site I'd expect:

Android ad impressions surpass Apple's showing Apple's continuing decline in the smartphone space.  Android phones alone captured more share than iPhones and iPads *combined*!  Apple revenue still leads but its dominance is fast dwindling as it remains flat while Android ad revenue jumps nearly 25%!  Up to 33% from only 27% just a year ago, indicating Android ad revenues will surpass Apple's as early as next year!'  Remember when Apple dominated androids market share, number of apps, ad impressions, and profits?  All that's left for Apple fans to cling to are 'profits' and they'll be losing that soon as the price of ignoring market share inevitably demands to be paid!

Both give a radically different perception.  Both are representing the facts.  Both arguments will have a few avid fans supporting them insisting that the article presented to them confirms that their 'team' is right and the other side must be a bunch of dolts for not being able to see that their respective article is backed by factual data and the other side is just spewing giberish.

DED does occasionally get a little passionate and overstep- but he is usually quick to correct himself when he is actually wrong (ie DED:'Apple sales account for 80% of online sales during holiday quarter!')

My preference would be if he berated his critics a little less.  It's not really fair, because people get to come here and sometimes  harshly criticize something he put a lot of work into (I'll admit I'm guilty of sometimes too quickly and too harshly responding to some of his articles).  But that's part of the gig.  Some measure of smacking down a heckler is fair game- especially in a case like this where he tee'd up the bait and someone incorrectly called him out- but crossing the line into abuse diminishes the 'journalist' moniker.

The other behavior that I don't like that he does more than he should is mix actual quotes with his own take and then borderline represent them as actual quotes.

If Samsung were to tell investors in November:

"We plan on eventually a 64-bit device when we feel it is actually needed, and don't really have a timeline yet" -> DED -> "Samsung told investors last November that they plan on copying Apple's A7 processor, but didn't provide a timeline"

For all the hard work and really good articles he writes, those instances just make him lose a lot of credibility.  If he's happy at AI he can likely continue to get away with them.  If he plans on movin on up eventually they won't help his cause.

Barring those, his articles are always worth reading because he's smart, literate ( except the bit about its and it's =p ), knows his technology, and does thorough research.  Just read them knowing the 'Apple skew' is going to be there.  And don't call him out unless you're sure you're right :p

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have had several G&Ts and split a nice bottle on vino followed by several brandies and yet, "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" reads as "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" ... what is confusing?

Sorry, I am a paid up member of 'DED can do no wrong' 1biggrin.gif . Seriously in a time when most media is bought and paid for by Samsung and Google people here criticize DED for being pro Apple on AI ...?

It's not confusing when I took a closer look, but when I skimmed the titles of the recent AI articles my mind read it as something like "iPhone now accounts for 87% of US market" or "Apple's smartphone now accounts for 87% of US market." Because that number didn't register as being realistic for all iPhones in the US market my brain told me to hold up and read it again, but the first impression is the same as what @drblank stated.

edit: Poorly worded headlines:

• Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Experts Say
  • Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
  • Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
  • Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case
  • Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
  • Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
  • Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
  • Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
  • British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
  • Clinton Wins Budget; More Lies Ahead
  • Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
  • Miners Refuse to Work After Death
  • Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
  • Stolen Painting Found by Tree
  • Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
  • War Dims Hope for Peace
  • If Strike Isn’t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
  • Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
  • Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge
  • New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
  • Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Space
  • Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
  • Two Sisters Reunited after 18 Years in Checkout Counter

Edited by SolipsismX - 5/21/14 at 8:39pm

post #20 of 27
Is it really news that iPhone takes 1/2 the market on the two main carriers? As the second 2 it takes 1/3? It's expected, wait a year or two when iPhones had been on those markets longer as they have been less then AT&T and Verizon, As the analyst try to say that IOS is a shrinking market.
post #21 of 27
Quote:

I didn't have my glasses on and I read the headline and didn't catch the comma.  Jeez. 

I am definitely NOT confused about the article.  It was just the headline that was a little misleading if one didn't catch the comma.  I didn't read the rest of the article because the headline is what was a little misleading due to a stupid comma.

Quote:

So ya screwed up reading the headline.  Ya showed that ya screwed up by saying something about it in an open forum.  Ya get called out for your screw up.  Ya now have to defend your screw up by blaming the headline for being written poorly (or not as good as it could be) rather than just saying that ya screwed up.  Typical.

post #22 of 27
Just because the article is strictly, when carefully parsed, true doesn't make it not a lie.

The numbers you push are, to people designing, building and specifying apps and websites, largely irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether Apple or Samsung is the largest maker of devices in the US. At all. OS does matter, on the other hand. It looks like willful disregard.

Since you at no point said this, I had to take a minute to do the math myself, looking up the best operator numbers I can find. By top two OSs:
iOS - 151 million
An - 184 million

Huh. And do we think that the remaining 6 million small MNOs (US Cellular and on down) have any significant number of iOS devices? I don't.

So, I'm going to keep telling my clients, and everyone I present and give workshops to that you need to look at your own use rates and analytics, survey your users, but be aware that Android is the winner, worldwide and in the US, and the gap continues to grow. I may start emphasizing even more "no matter what you may hear in the tech press" to make sure they don't get distracted by articles like this.
post #23 of 27
hes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

So ya screwed up reading the headline.  Ya showed that ya screwed up by saying something about it in an open forum.  Ya get called out for your screw up.  Ya now have to defend your screw up by blaming the headline for being written poorly (or not as good as it could be) rather than just saying that ya screwed up.  Typical.

He's good at that.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

Well, it was poorly written headline as it's very easy to miss the comma.  I'm not the only one in the world that missed it.  I know others that didn't see it either.  Not all of have perfect vision or are always wearing glasses to see a little tiny dot.  Most newspaper headlines with the major papers don't USUALLY use commas, probably for this very reason. 

Get over it.

post #25 of 27
Quote:

Well, it was poorly written headline as it's very easy to miss the comma.  I'm not the only one in the world that missed it.  I know others that didn't see it either.  Not all of have perfect vision or are always wearing glasses to see a little tiny dot.  Most newspaper headlines with the major papers don't USUALLY use commas, probably for this very reason. 

Get over it.

You can change the meaning of a lot of headlines wifh a carefully placed comma

This thread made me think of Patton Oswalt's brilliant and hilarious Twitter trolling last year.

Edited by SolipsismX - 5/22/14 at 8:24pm

post #26 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's not confusing when I took a closer look, but when I skimmed the titles of the recent AI articles my mind read it as something like "iPhone now accounts for 87% of US market" or "Apple's smartphone now accounts for 87% of US market." Because that number didn't register as being realistic for all iPhones in the US market my brain told me to hold up and read it again, but the first impression is the same as what @drblank stated.

edit: Poorly worded headlines:

• Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Experts Say
  • Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
  • Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
  • Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case
  • Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
  • Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
  • Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
  • Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
  • British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
  • Clinton Wins Budget; More Lies Ahead
  • Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
  • Miners Refuse to Work After Death
  • Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
  • Stolen Painting Found by Tree
  • Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
  • War Dims Hope for Peace
  • If Strike Isn’t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
  • Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
  • Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge
  • New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
  • Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Space
  • Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
  • Two Sisters Reunited after 18 Years in Checkout Counter

Thanks for the laugh! Priceless headlines.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #27 of 27
Quote:

You can change the meaning of a lot of headlines wifh a carefully placed comma

This thread made me think of Patton Oswalt's brilliant and hilarious Twitter trolling last year.

That Oswalt link was funny as hell.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets