or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest CEO vows no ads in products as firm prepares to restart Protect smoke detector sales

Nest CEO vows no ads in products as firm prepares to restart Protect smoke detector sales - Page 2

post #41 of 53
i predict GE will buy Nest from Google two years from now for $320 million...

and Google stock will go up 10 points.
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

He just couldn't hold back posting "Google Employee".

I've heard of a sleeper agent, but never figured one would be activated for a post as trivial as 4ui82pcs's.  Weird!

post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Not really sure HOW they could put ads on a smoke detector/thermostat in all honesty. I suppose they could harvest the data on how you use it and then give your computer ads based on that (eg: give you ads for sweaters, blankets etc if you turn the heat up). If that's the case that's a little creepy.

I think that's absolutely what's going to happen, creepy or not. All this freak out about ads where they don't belong (Idiocracy style) isn't going to happen. They will be using data gathered from use of their products to improve ad targeting. I think the likely outcome is that those who do see ads will end up clicking more of them because some are actually relevant and useful.

post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow, most didn't even know what the internet was in 2002! 

not sure if youre joking, or just young, but the internet and especially the web was very much mainstream popular in 2002. the original iMac (i for "internet") was announced four years prior in 1998. the dot-com bubble burst was in 2000.

post #45 of 53
I had big hopes for Nest... it's Apple-like culture and organic growth... I imagined a whole Nest-controlled home in my future. Then Google came along... Coincidentally that was the same week Nest blew up their thermostat with an update. My Nest thermostat quit because it was drawing too much power to run... then, it started short-cycling my furnace which caused it to fail. It was -30 C and big, big problems.

I emailed Nest, I called them - their responses were canned and useless. I pulled the 'normal' thermostat off my garage heater, while my tiny gas fireplace ran continuously to keep the house from freezing.

I ended up with a new furnace... and a Honeywell IAQ thermostat. It's not quite as polished as the Nest, but it runs 2 wires to the thermostat and a 'brain' that runs the furnace. This eliminates the 'vampire' power scheme problems with the Nest (if you have only 2 wires).

Anyway... I've found the 'old' companies like Honeywell have far better integrated home control systems. They aren't so fancy, but they work. And, they don't let Google spy on my to know when I am home...
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I LOVE the idea of Android/Google appliances in my home!  Google can monitor my refrigerator and send me messages about what I should buy at the store.  Google Voice will listen to what I say to my wife, and match the perfect ads on my fridge to my topics of conversation.  And Google will keep a handy record of exactly when I get home, and how much electricity I am using, and more.  This will be in addition to all the great information Google already collects about what I search for, to whom I'm talking, and what messages I send or receive.  Thanks, Google, for watching over me!

/s

You said it sarcastically, but I'd totally love the first part.  I love Google Now.  It predicts what I'm likely to be looking for.  Sometimes, it gets it wrong, but most of the time, it's spot on.  I'd love for it to be able to monitor the contents of my refrigerator (nfc tags?) and over time figure out what I tend to consume and the rate.  So when I'm at a grocery store it can send me a notification of things I need to stock up on.  And while at it, show relevant  ads with discounts for it.  I have no problem with Google knowing everything about me as long as it's keeping that information to itself and in return providing me service that's useful for me.  And as long as it anonymizes that information when sharing with others, I'm okay with that as well.  I know many people find it creepy and it's easy enough to stop using Google services if it bothers you.  But I'm perfectly fine with the trade-off.  The potential for abuse is of course there.  But that would kill Google faster than any threat from outside.

My only problem with Google is Google+ which they try to shove down my throat at every turn.  I see nothing of value to me there and have no desire for it and they have totally pissed me off with their aggressive sign-up tactics to the point where I'll likely never sign on for it.  There are some signs that Google may be easing off on Google+.  We'll see at IO.

post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I'd love for it to be able to monitor the contents of my refrigerator (nfc tags?) and over time figure out what I tend to consume and the rate.  So when I'm at a grocery store it can send me a notification of things I need to stock up on.

Would that be a healthy thing? I don't think it's good to have a pattern in your eating habits, rather surprise your body with diversity and newly discovered food rather than eating the same thing over and over again.

Of course, one can ignore the notifications on what you're out on in the fridge, but that would negate the tech.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post
... and a Honeywell IAQ thermostat. <snip> They aren't so fancy, but they work. And, they don't let Google spy on my to know when I am home...

That really sucks that the Nest burned up your furnace. Damn.

FWIW: Honeywell doesn't need to let Google track when you are home, they're doing it themselves: https://rs.alarmnet.com/TotalConnectComfort/Home/TermsAndConditions:

"“Usage Information” related to thermostats is information including, but not limited to, actual indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity information, GPS/geolocation information, thermostat usage data such as heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (“HVAC”) relay status, runtimes, settings, time of events in home, audio clips, HVAC diagnostic and usage logs from the HVAC system and alerts from the HVAC system, as well as information about your electrical usage relating to electrical loads monitored by the System, your overall household electrical usage, the interaction of your thermostat and third party devices and your use of the System. "

post #49 of 53

that's a pretty empty vow, dude.

>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That has to be a record.

A man of few words. The less said, the better. He who remains silent appears wise (though he is a fool). He who opens his mouth lets others know he is a fool.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 5/26/14 at 3:42am
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That has to be a record.

Wow, most didn't even know what the internet was in 2002! Not to mention my shock Georgia had it.

I look forward to his next post in 2026.

Indeed. And if his first post was in June 2002 and he was planning on one post every twelve years, he was a little hasty with his last one.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I'd love for it to be able to monitor the contents of my refrigerator (nfc tags?) and over time figure out what I tend to consume and the rate.  So when I'm at a grocery store it can send me a notification of things I need to stock up on.

Would that be a healthy thing? I don't think it's good to have a pattern in your eating habits, rather surprise your body with diversity and newly discovered food rather than eating the same thing over and over again.

Of course, one can ignore the notifications on what you're out on in the fridge, but that would negate the tech.

Yes—it's the same problem with music curation. Why listen to exactly the same kind of thing? Better to be surprised from time to time. I don't want curation to say, "If you like Justin Bieber, you'll love Lady Gaga." I want it to go from Rihanna to Josquin to The Cow jumped over the Moon. Will Bovine curate that Mooood? Will he heck!
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #53 of 53
'With "wave," users can flail their hands in front of Protect to disable the built-in alarm'

Flail their hands—lol!

Can some bright spark make an animated gif of Larry Page flailing his hands in front of a Nest?
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest CEO vows no ads in products as firm prepares to restart Protect smoke detector sales