or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Creator of Apple's Core Animation leaves for new role, likely at Facebook

Creator of Apple's Core Animation leaves for new role, likely at Facebook

post #1 of 47
John Harper, the creator of of Apple's Core Animation tool for developers and the inventor credited with designing gesture and scrolling animations in iOS, has apparently taken a new position at social networking giant Facebook.

Harper's departure was revealed on Twitter on Thursday, as highlighted by Daring Fireball. Harper designed and implemented the "CoreAnimation" compositing and animation framework that first appeared in the debut iPhone OS in 2007, and came to OS X 10.5 Leopard later that year.

His name appears as the inventor on a number of key software patents owned by Apple related to both OS X and iOS. For example, Harper is one of the key inventors on the Apple patent Framework for Graphics Animation and Composting Operations," along with many other graphics- and display-related patents.

According to Harper's LinkedIn page, he spent just over 12 years at Apple. During his time there, he also co-designed and implemented the "CoreImage" real-time image processing engine that debuted in OS X 10.4 Tiger, which launched in 2005.

Harper is also credited with working on the OS X windowing system, the Mac X11 port, and various components of the graphics systems found in both OS X and iOS.

His new position will apparently reunite him with Kimon Tsinteris, a former designer and engineer at Apple who now works on Facebook for iOS. Tsinteris took to Twitter on Thursday to say that he's "delighted" to be crossing paths with Harper once again.

Harper responded by thanking Tsinteris and revealed that he will officially start next week. Neither man mentioned Facebook in their comments, but Harper's profile says that he "was Apple's Core Animation hacker," referring to the position in the past tense.

Core Animation is the graphics rendering and animation structure found in both Apple's Mac OS X operating system, and the iOS mobile platform for iPhone and iPad. Developers use Core Animation to animate the views and other visual elements of their third-party apps.

Core Animation makes it simpler for developers to create the proper look and feel in their applications, by handling the bulk of the work required to draw each frame of an animation. Developers must simply configure a few animation parameters, like the start and end point, and allow Core Animation to handle the rest of the process.
post #2 of 47
Apple should be deeply concerned about the constant exodus of deeply technical people in recent years. Tim Cook is dropping the ball again.
post #3 of 47
Sounds like he was pretty key at Apple, at least for some time. Hopefully he won't be a great loss to Apple.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #4 of 47

He must be someone important.  That was my first thought when I saw his LinkedIn pic showing himself all disheveled and unkept.  I guess if one is really that good, they don't care how he keeps himself since he'll probably be working more-or-less on his own, at home, to not care.

Take some pride in your appearance buddy

post #5 of 47
Jesus, that profile pic. My grandmother's voice comes to mind. "Wipe that puss off your face."
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Apple should be deeply concerned about the constant exodus of deeply technical people in recent years. Tim Cook is dropping the ball again.

He's hardly dropping the ball. You can't force somebody to work at a place they don't want to. That went the way of the dodo in this country way back in 1865. More than likely Tim Cook has his replacement ready to go. Being as important as this guy was don't you think there's a "Line Of Succession" in place for things such as this?

post #7 of 47

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #8 of 47

Sounds like another forked version of Android is in the works.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #9 of 47
Quote:

I'm waiting to see a single post from you that isn't a hysterically shitty troll. You must have a sad, sad life. 

Maybe Tim Cook should have chained this guy up to prevent him from leaving? Tim Cook has "dropped the ball" because, as it's been since the beginning of time, people leave companies (for a myriad of reasons) and new people join? You don't have a shred of background info about this person's personal decisions for leaving, yet your kneejerk reaction is to place blame on Cook? Well known, long-term Apple employees left under Jobs too- but wait, let's forget about that, because to continue your narrative we need to invent the reality that Apple was a beacon of purity, perfection, and infinite joy and unicorns before Cook took over. 

post #10 of 47
Quote:

What you should be concerned about is that you may actually believe your "Tim Cook Dropped Ball, thus Apple Doomed" propaganda nonsense.

So lets recap the famous quotes from armchair whiners like you:

Tim Cook dropping ball again.
Apple is doomed.
Steve Jobs would never do this.
Apple lost their innovation since Steve Jobs died.
Apple is in decline because they don't sell cheap junk.

Care to add more?

post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds like another forked version of Android is in the works.

I figured he was going to work on Facebook's Virtual Reality acquisition with his graphics background.

post #12 of 47
Quote:

"constant exodus"?

Name names, pls. 

If the last two quarters are an indication that Tim Cook is "dropping the ball", I hope it stays on the floor. 

$$$$$ . . .  and from all the right products.

post #13 of 47
Quote:

Yes, because nobody important ever left Apple when Steve was CEO of Apple. 

-Bertrand Serlet

-Tony Fadel

-Jon Rubenstein

-Sina Tommaddon

-Ron Johnson

These are just a few of the big names that have all left Apple under Steve's wing, most of them being related with the Mac side. I'm so tired of this Tim Cook shit people keep spewing out. 

What really big names have left Apple since Tim was here? Scott Forstall was fired, so he doesn't count. 

Edited by macxpress - 5/22/14 at 1:56pm

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #14 of 47
Quote:

No one is irreplaceable, not even Steve Jobs. This “Tim Cook is dropping the ball” nonsense is complete bullshit. Repeating it ad nauseam does not make it true.

post #15 of 47

....at least we still have the designer for the colorful and iOS7 interface with obscure touch element flair

post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Jesus, that profile pic. My grandmother's voice comes to mind. "Wipe that puss off your face."

Some of the most interesting and talented people I know would be dismissed as hobos by the superficial members of society.  Some people live life on the surface, others are more interested in what lies beneath.  I'm one of the latter.  Sounds like Apple lost a talented developer.

post #17 of 47
Quote:

People may be leaving but there are people coming on board too.  Off the top of my head I know there's been two major fashion executives (Deneve and Ahrendts) as well as Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre rumored to be joining the Apple executive team as well.

post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

....at least we still have the designer for the colorful and iOS7 interface with obscure touch element flair

The one that is running on over 80% of iOS devices?

post #19 of 47

A bit of a shame for a talented developer like that to be wasting his talent on something as vapid as Facebook, but I'm willing to bet he's getting more money there than he ever would have at Apple. 12 years is an eternity in developer years... Switching is a good thing for all parties involved.

post #20 of 47
``According to Harper's LinkedIn page, he spent just over 12 years at Apple. During his time there, he also co-designed and implemented the "CoreImage" real-time image processing engine that debuted in OS X 10.4 Tiger, which launched in 2005.''

He gives himself way too much credit.
post #21 of 47
Quote:

Yes, that's right... and Apple should get together with companies like Facebook and set up some sort of anti-poaching agreement. Why didn't Tim Cook think of that?

/s.

post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yes, because nobody important ever left Apple when Steve was CEO of Apple. 

-Bertrand Serlet

-Tony Fadel

-Jon Rubenstein

-Sina Tommaddon

-Ron Johnson

These are just a few of the big names that have all left Apple under Steve's wing, most of them being related with the Mac side. I'm so tired of this Tim Cook shit people keep spewing out. 

What really big names have left Apple since Tim was here? Scott Forstall was fired, so he doesn't count. 

I know 3 out of 5 of them personally. None of them were involved with the actual making of the products directly, whether hardware, software or what have you. They were leaders in directing and focusing teams to meet goals.

Bertrand is a great guy. He hadn't been knee deep in coding for nearly 15 years. Rubenstein never wrote code and his expertise of working with hardware was in the past. Sina worked in branding, marketing and non tech related relations. He was one of the first guys we contacted to come back during the merger. He had bailed on NeXT and professional services prior to the merger.

There is plenty of talent at Apple. If someone wants to leave to get a huge pay day and a title they've been pining over, let them go. They'll discover the experience never pans out.

post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I know 3 out of 5 of them personally. None of them were involved with the actual making of the products directly, whether hardware, software or what have you. They were leaders in directing and focusing teams to meet goals.

Bertrand is a great guy. He hadn't been knee deep in coding for nearly 15 years. Rubenstein never wrote code and his expertise of working with hardware was in the past. Sina worked in branding, marketing and non tech related relations. He was one of the first guys we contacted to come back during the merger. He had bailed on NeXT and professional services prior to the merger.

There is plenty of talent at Apple. If someone wants to leave to get a huge pay day and a title they've been pining over, let them go. They'll discover the experience never pans out.

Thanks for running through who these people are for those that don't know. I just didn't want to run my post out. 

People always come and go with every company no matter who or how important you are (or think you are). We all have to remember these are changing times too and sometimes the people who were great at Apple maybe aren't so great for what's coming down the road. So Apple has also hired some pretty great people these last few months. 

post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

``According to Harper's LinkedIn page, he spent just over 12 years at Apple. During his time there, he also co-designed and implemented the "CoreImage" real-time image processing engine that debuted in OS X 10.4 Tiger, which launched in 2005.''

He gives himself way too much credit.

I would like to read up on what others have contributed to Core Animation apart from this John Harper. Is this specific piece of software 'never' written by a single person? I'm not a dev, and have no idea how many people it would take to create something that had such a big influence. If I can relate these two so closely, that is.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Quote:

People may be leaving but there are people coming on board too.  Off the top of my head I know there's been two major fashion executives (Deneve and Ahrendts) as well as Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre rumored to be joining the Apple executive team as well.

Wow. Comparing these "business suits" with the actual creators of Apple core technologies? Yikes!

I wish I could think of some positive way to spin this situation, but I just can't. 

post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:

What you should be concerned about is that you may actually believe your "Tim Cook Dropped Ball, thus Apple Doomed" propaganda nonsense.

So lets recap the famous quotes from armchair whiners like you:

Tim Cook dropping ball again.
Apple is doomed.
Steve Jobs would never do this.
Apple lost their innovation since Steve Jobs died.
Apple is in decline because they don't sell cheap junk.

Care to add more?

Sure.   "Apple just lost one (more) of the creators of some of it's most important technology."

Difference between your listed items and mine, is that your's are BS and mine is real.

post #27 of 47
Apple's biggest mistake was to let Scott Forstall leave. Despite his temper, he and his team developed the best OS ever. Then they made iOS 7 which is a really shitty version of iOS, (which sadly enough takes many design cues from the also shitty android) just to make a statement and say it was created by the new iOS team, and everyone that's any good are of course leaving. I sincerely hope that Apple wakes up before more damage is done.
post #28 of 47

I guess it can be natural to have your fill of working for one company, but...  Facebook?  What is he going to do, design animations of byzantine security controls that change on a weekly basis?  I hope the money's good.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Some of the most interesting and talented people I know would be dismissed as hobos by the superficial members of society.  Some people live life on the surface, others are more interested in what lies beneath.  I'm one of the latter.  Sounds like Apple lost a talented developer.

Superficial? How difficult is it to not look like you're super depressed as your profile pic? This is nothing about appearance, its making a miniscule effort to have a neutral or happy expression.
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"constant exodus"?

Name names, pls. 

If the last two quarters are an indication that Tim Cook is "dropping the ball", I hope it stays on the floor. 

$$$$$ . . .  and from all the right products.

The two of you are talking about completely different things. Issues such as  retention of key management won't show up over the shorter term on quarterly reports, but I still think his comment really misses the mark. Not everyone wants to spend their entire career at one company, so I would say it's more important to look at their ability to replenish both talent and management. He tried to portray it as a sinking ship, yet listing off people who left in recent years without further context and supporting information is just disingenuous.

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Superficial? How difficult is it to not look like you're super depressed as your profile pic? This is nothing about appearance, its making a miniscule effort to have a neutral or happy expression.

Shiny happy people everywhere right?  If I were looking to hire a talented developer, I could care less about whether they were smiling in their profile pic.  I'd rather find someone with knowledge, talent, and ambition who didn't smile, than one who did and was trying to cover up the fact that they didn't know anything.  Be real.

post #32 of 47
I still haven't been able to find any value in Facebook. Seems to be the modern replacement for the coffee klatch. Young housewives comparing photos of their toddlers with comments like, "Look what little Johnny did today." That's about all there is to it from my vantage point.

But then, what do I know? I also fail to see any value in Starbucks, having only been to one of their stores one time, and thought the coffee was too strong and prices way too high. Couldn't figure out why anyone would want to patronize a coffee shop.

Apple, on the other hand, provides tremendous value with their best in class products and marvelous ecosystem. I delight over Apple's products every day. It's hard to comprehend why a talented engineer would want to leave Apple for a position at a place like Facebook or Starbucks where relevance is hard to find.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Maybe that's his "I'm not into rap or DR. DRE" look?
I'm into Metallica!  :lol:

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Give him some time at his new job and I'm sure his smile will come back.  /s

post #35 of 47
Quote:

A fashion accessory manufacturer doesn't need deep techies.

post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

I still haven't been able to find any value in Facebook. Seems to be the modern replacement for the coffee klatch. Young housewives comparing photos of their toddlers with comments like, "Look what little Johnny did today." That's about all there is to it from my vantage point.

But then, what do I know? I also fail to see any value in Starbucks, having only been to one of their stores one time, and thought the coffee was too strong and prices way too high. Couldn't figure out why anyone would want to patronize a coffee shop.

Apple, on the other hand, provides tremendous value with their best in class products and marvelous ecosystem. I delight over Apple's products every day. It's hard to comprehend why a talented engineer would want to leave Apple for a position at a place like Facebook or Starbucks where relevance is hard to find.

You can't find any value in Facebook because there is none in it for you. You are the product to be sold.

post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

He must be someone important.  That was my first thought when I saw his LinkedIn pic showing himself all disheveled and unkept.  I guess if one is really that good, they don't care how he keeps himself since he'll probably be working more-or-less on his own, at home, to not care.

Take some pride in your appearance buddy

The term "Unix beard" was coined for a reason.

post #38 of 47
There is this saying,

It isn't how long you have been working for Apple.

It is how many times you have worked at Apple.
post #39 of 47

So, he's been gone from Apple for a year, how did Apple ever survive the last 12 months?

https://twitter.com/kimon/status/469507190466695168

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Shiny happy people everywhere right?  If I were looking to hire a talented developer, I could care less about whether they were smiling in their profile pic.  I'd rather find someone with knowledge, talent, and ambition who didn't smile, than one who did and was trying to cover up the fact that they didn't know anything.  Be real.

Making a tiny effort not to look depressed in a cover photo means you're "covering up the fact that you don't know anything"? Really? Thanks for the incredible insight. 

My obvious point that having a good attitude, smiling, and not being a downer is a POSITIVE, not a negative, in addition to any skills and knowledge. I know those things make a big fucking difference in terms of the work place. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Creator of Apple's Core Animation leaves for new role, likely at Facebook