or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones - Page 2

post #41 of 90

We need to figure out a way to harness Samsung's enthusiasm for copying whatever Apple does and use it for some greater good.

 

Maybe we could convince Samsung that Apple is building an economical fusion reactor and this would inspire Samsung to figure out how to actually do that. Or asteroid mining robots. Or an interstellar space cruiser. 

post #42 of 90
I feel like there are not enough s-words in the title of this article.
post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

So you want Apple's competitors to be as good as Apple at being Apple, so you can buy products from them? Sounds logical. I think Apple should have classes to help them. /s

I want Apple's competitors to be better at building good products so there are as good (or even better) than Apple is today which will push the state of the art harder and faster.

My only concern is having the best possible kit for my specific needs every single day of my life. I care not whose brand is even though that has been Apple for all of the 21st century. If that continues to be Apple then great, if it's someone else, that's fine, too.

IOW, my loyalty to Apple begins and ends with them serving me the best product just as their loyalty to me begins and ends with my interest in wanting their products. It's only concern.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Hilarious considering we were just now talking about spec overkill. 1080p displays are not necessary...but 64-bit processors that don't do anything are vital, and worth advertising. Ok. 

Yeah, kind of like that octo-core chip Samsung throws around. And benchmark cheating. Doesn't serve a vital purpose, but boy do the Fandroids lap that shit up.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #45 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would you SHUT UP about app loading.

He's NOT SURE. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt always trump facts. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

ORLY? What percentage of Apple apps are currently making use of that 64-bit processor?

It's sure not helping with app loading speed. This cheap Android phone can already beat it. 

[pointless video]

and 

[another pointless video]

Clearly you don't understand what the processor does. Perhaps you might want to read up on the benefits of the new ISA in ARM64, especially how that specifically benefits apps written in Obj-C.

If you actually do that, which Is doubtful, you can then read up on how even a 64-bit version of Android won't have the same benefits because the inherent issues with the Java virtual machine. Android OS and apps will certainly get benefits from the new ISA (eventually) but not to the same degree or ease.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
 

Once again we see that Apple has the balls and intellect to do something new. Once they prove it can be done, the unimaginative cowards at Samsung and the like act like "oh, but phone manufacturers have always used sapphire."  I hope they (the Korean copyists) blow their money on this and find out they don't have the IP to pull it off well.

 

I find it hilariously disingenuous that Samsung talks about the expense of Sapphire when they dump $20 billion in advertising just smartphones.

post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I want Apple's competitors to be better at building good products so there are as good (or even better) than Apple is today which will push the state of the art harder and faster.

My only concern is having the best possible kit for my specific needs every single day of my life. I care not whose brand is even though that has been Apple for all of the 21st century. If that continues to be Apple then great, if it's someone else, that's fine, too.

IOW, my loyalty to Apple begins and ends with them serving me the best product just as their loyalty to me begins and ends with my interest in wanting their products. It's only concern.
Well my loyalty is to the Apple who has consistently worked to provide the best products even when I was convinced the garbage I was buying before was amazing. I joined this and similar sites after my transition to Apple from Microsoft and later from Palm once the iPhone arrived. The level of service I have received has not be even approached by any company I've dealt with. I can tell you how many times I've had them good will a repair that was years out of warranty. Not to mention replace a 4 year old iBook that we bought from eBay and later broke the screen with a brand new model that they were just releasing, when a DHL employee stole it during transit. I'm a tech guy and have bought and sold lots of gear including instruments and cars. My loyalty and those of the like minded people who used to frequent these sites but are mostly quiet or gone, is why there is an Apple today. We continued to support them when no one else cared, because we knew the effort they put in was not a fluke, it was a part of the company from day one, and it's our support of them that allows them to continue to support our needs. I used to wish more people could experience the level of service we do by buying From Apple. Now, I don't think I care and neither do they. They realize that some people don't deserve that level of care because they couldn't appreciate it anyway. I get it now.
post #49 of 90

Apple needs to get better at spreading false rumors that will sting Samsung.    Like they're going to make screens out of a cheese composite.   Or that the next case design will have polka dots.   Or will have a trapezoid shape.    Or that they're changing the default font to Cracked.  Etc.

post #50 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
...Sapphire is a common component in watches thanks to its exceptional scratch resistance, but it is ultimately extremely brittle, rendering it susceptible to shattering when dropped.

 

Mostly this seems to be sourced to Corning, who had a cow when the sapphire thing came out. This company (that's makes products with eitehr shapphire or several kinds of glass, suggests otherwise:

 

Quote:
Mechanically second only to diamond. One of the hardest and most scratch resistant materials 
   available. The high modulus of elasticity and high tensile strength make it extremely wear, 
   abrasion and impact resistant. 

 

In fact, as I understand it, they make the windows on tanks and other military vehicles out of sapphire, at significant cost. Which would be kind of silly if it really was so brittle...

post #51 of 90
It's a NO GAME for the patent troll Apple.

Apple used the sapphire glass for the camera lens cover and fingerprint recognition home button for the first time in the world, but it was China’s Gionee that attempted to use it as front cover glass. Earlier this year Gionee launched a new product using sapphire as cover glass. More recently Shaoni announced its ambitious plan to use sapphire in its new smartphone
post #52 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

Apple needs to get better at spreading false rumors that will sting Samsung.    Like they're going to make screens out of a cheese composite.   Or that the next case design will have polka dots.   Or will have a trapezoid shape.    Or that they're changing the default font to Cracked.  Etc.

 

I heard Apple is working on an innovative 'executive launcher' designed to be set on top of bridges, tall buildings, and mountaintops.  They are working on keeping it super secret so other companies won't race to beat them to market with it.

post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Well my loyalty is to the Apple who has consistently worked to provide the best products even when I was convinced the garbage I was buying before was amazing.

If you thought it was amazing at the time I don't take issue with that, but we do see people here that get upset that Apple isn't the making the exact product they want and then state that Apple should support their needs before the *new* customers. They oft state how they supported Apple during the "dark years" and how Apple should now support them. I think that's ridiculous.

Your loyalty is clearly based on a history of good experiences — like mine and most (if not all) others — but if they start making products that no only serve your needs compared to another brand will you still be unabashed in your loyalty? I wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Yeah, about that. 

https://www.infinum.co/the-capsized-eight/articles/art-vs-dalvik-introducing-the-new-android-runtime-in-kit-kat

Apparently Android does not need the benefits as badly...it already has the extra horsepower to compensate. Thats what those videos show. 

But my real point is that all the supposed benefits of 64-bit processing are not here yet, but that does not stop Apple from using it in their advertising as a spec. 

1) Android and it's apps needs more performance help which is why they have to stuff more cores, a higher clocked processor, and more RAM to accomplish a fraction of what Apple's products can despite using much higher specs for superficial component specs. This is why the Galaxy G5 falls short of previous iPhones in performance despite the greater superficial spec sheet items. As for perceived performance, replacing JIT with ART will help but it's still neither native code nor optimized for the HW or have the HW built specifically for it so it's going to continue to all short of iOS-based products even when using much faster HW (on paper).

2) You need to learn what horsepower means in terms of a computer. It does not include the OS. The OS and apps an be optimized to make better use of the available horsepower, or they can poorly utilize the HW, as is the case with Android and Java compared to iOS. This is why in a side-by-side comparison test using the same superficial HW specs Android is stillborn.

3) We haven't even covered power efficiency, a Higley important part of a mobile device. This is where you'd grab some state that compares battery life without mentioning the massive capacity difference between batteries as the key factor in how most Android devices even come within 80% of the iPhone on usability with a 60% smaller battery.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/23/14 at 1:39pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

In fact, as I understand it, they make the windows on tanks and other military vehicles out of sapphire, at significant cost. Which would be kind of silly if it really was so brittle...

It all depends on how it's used. Bullet resistance glass is usually a composite which different layers providing different benefits.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #55 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

LOL

 

Yeah, about that. 

 

https://www.infinum.co/the-capsized-eight/articles/art-vs-dalvik-introducing-the-new-android-runtime-in-kit-kat

 

Apparently Android does not need the benefits as badly...it already has the extra horsepower to compensate. Thats what those videos show. 

 

But my real point is that all the supposed benefits of 64-bit processing are not here yet, but that does not stop Apple from using it in their advertising as a spec. 

 

It really depends on the end product delivered- and in that aspect I think both Apple and Samsung phones are great.  Apple and Samsung took fairly radically different approaches and arrived at a pretty similar place.  Yes, the S5 has impressive performance as your video demonstrates- more so when you consider the S5 is driving over 2,000,000 pixels to Apple's over 700,000 (try running your favorite graphics intensive FPS on ultra graphics settings vs setting 1/3 that to see what a difference that makes).

 

I don't think anyone will argue that *all* the benefits for 64-bit processing are here yet, but that does not mean it is a 'gimmick' or that it is only paving the way for the future.  It provides a current benefit.  Much as your argument is that 64-bit isn't doing anything because it is still 'only' as fast as Samsung's 32-bit offering, it is the equivalent of me calling Samsungs octocore strategy or doubling of RAM a gimick because even with 8 cores and twice the memory they are only able to achieve comparable performance to Apple's processor with half the memory and only 2 cores.  Apple designers must rock, no?

 

Apple and Samsung both build great devices.

post #56 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
 

Once again we see that Apple has the balls and intellect to do something new. Once they prove it can be done, the unimaginative cowards at Samsung and the like act like "oh, but phone manufacturers have always used sapphire."  I hope they (the Korean copyists) blow their money on this and find out they don't have the IP to pull it off well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Start your photocopiers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

They'll give the excuse they gave a long time ago when they copied Apple in the first place, I think it was something along the lines of a logical progression.  

 

You guys are quick to judge on this one. Here's the google translate version. I'm not sure whether AI has access to real translators, but it's more likely that they write whatever will draw page views.
 

Quote:

 

Sapphire cover glass to accelerate adoption of smart phones ... Related backward industrial growth expectations
Expensive than glass increases durability
Quick Links Close Quick Links Naver Naver

Smartphone vendors are authentic sapphire -glass front cover related material and parts industry in adopting this precious hunpung blowing.

22 days , according to industry Recently, Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics introduced the sapphire cover glass ingot , wafer makers in relation to submission of samples required. Last year, because of the high price , but reluctant to review the recent global competitors are applying Sapphire Glass announced plans to launch a new product launched a review of the hurry .

Apple is the world's first camera Sapphire glass lens cover and home button wrote fingerprint glass in the front cover paper sludge is first tried in China . Earlier this year, whether the sludge is applied to the sapphire glass cover came up with new products . Following recent sludge Shah introduced the new smartphone would launch an ambitious said.

Apple recently built in Arizona sapphire glass manufacturing and processing plants were operating ahead of schedule . New product launch in the second half , and only 10 million shipments Sapphire Glass is known to be applied to the front .

Sapphire glass is applied to high-purity alumina column to form lumps made ​​of sapphire ingot and wafer thin slices then rework it to make the cut . 3 times more than conventional glass hard and not scratched it up to strength. As well as the durability of the touch recognition is high. But the price is 10 times more expensive than conventional glass .

The sapphire ingot industry official said, " Last year, even if only to lower handset makers are very sought Sapphire Unit " and " But this year using good material subjected to the receipt of a premium price towards the atmosphere will switch and the equipment -related companies are also more active in response to the market trend , "he said.

4.6 inches sapphire ingot manufacturers in Korea , such as the recent production of large-diameter wafers have to move the weight . Aztec Sapphire Technology · DK · OCI this year , including the ability to enhance the production of large diameter ingots . In particular, in the year 100 ㎏ DK -grade ingot Aztec generating equipment (the Roar ) is introduced to ㎜ in May from 600,000 to 700,000 doubled production capacity expands . 6 inches ingot is 10 times expensive than 2 inches can increase profitability . Apple has 5.5 inches large screen on which you want to apply known sapphire glass .

The nation's only large-scale high- purity alumina to produce a force known recently focusing on the Chinese market . The company official said, " China Sapphire Ingot manufacturers in order to request a sample from an exploding " and " China , but also domestic alumina producers , such as purity of the product quality is excellent value for money look so much ," he said.

China Sapphire Ingot manufacturer in the Aurora (Aurora), Crystal Land (Crystal land) and the like, and processing companies in the BIEL wear fur and lens (Lens) , etc. cited .

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

 

AHAHAH let me laugh, troll.

 

Learn, instead of using old images that are just wrong and simply show how ignorant of other OSes you are :

 

 

I hate the reused photo comparisons, because they're always constructed by someone with an agenda.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Clearly you don't understand what the processor does. Perhaps you might want to read up on the benefits of the new ISA in ARM64, especially how that specifically benefits apps written in Obj-C.
 

I need to look that up. It might be useful.

post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I don't think anyone will argue that *all* the benefits for 64-bit processing are here yet, but that does not mean it is a 'gimmick' or that it is only paving the way for the future.

All has nothing to do with it. The iPhone 5S already delivers increased performance today by using the new ISA. That's a fact. If the iPhone with everything else being equal in HW was still running 32-bit it would perform worse.

His "proof" that the iPhone is slower with 64-bit is ridiculous on multiple scales. Besides not comparing the same OSes at 32 and 64-bit he's also not even coming close to comparing the same HW. The Galaxy has to use beefier HW to even play in the same pool and therefore has to use a much larger battery to maintain any equivalency to battery life. We're talking a 2.45GHz CPU with 2 GiB RAM with a 2800 mAh battery compared to the iPhone 5S's 1.3Ghz with 1 GiB RAM and a 1450 mAh battery and yet the device from 2013 still trounces the Galaxy phone in comparable processing tests despite it being a newly released device. On top of that you have that first test in that video he thinks "proves" the iPhone sucks showing the Flickr app loading faster on the iPhone. Twice.




"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

The whole issue was about how Android is all just about specs...what is the point of advertising a 64-bit CPU if the vast majority of apps and/or the UI itself do not even leverage it yet? If Android did that, Apple people would call it a gimmick. 

The entire OS and all the included apps were 64-bit from days one. Apple also made it very easy to allow developers to update their apps to 64-bit by creating a clear, focused path and creating excellent documentation. Most devs say it took them less than hour to update their apps. Of course, you know all that but you're just justing trolling. Gotta earn that coin for Google.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 90
Someone on the Internet has a personality disorder. Please, seek professional help.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

Thats pretty sad then, and not good news for Apple. Android is going to get faster across the board (via ART runtime), and Apple is already maxed out apparently. 

Right, so Apple has apparently stopped all chip development and iOS 7 is the last mobile OS they will ever issue. All these rumors about some iOS 8 being introduced next month, and an iPhone 6 coming out in the fall, apparently before any 64-bit Android phones come out, are just evidence of Apple being maxed out.

 

Quote:
Apple is running out of feathers in it's cap. It used to have the biggest app store...now that talking point is gone.

The Play Store didn't have enough malware or live wallpapers to satisfy demand, but things really stepped up as of late.

 

Quote:
It used to have the smoothest UI...that talking point is gone.

Yeah, every Android phone I've ever tried doesn't judder at all ... really! Smooth, buttery action that just makes you want to lick something!

 

Quote:
It used to have the best battery life...that one has been gone for a while.

It never had the best battery life. Totally sucks, man! My Nokia feature phone had 400 hours of standby time, and the iPhone couldn't beat that!

 

Quote:
It used to have the best display...the S5 killed that (unless you count PPI, which even my ancient Rezound kills).

Gawd, I love them hyperamped AMOLED colors! Makes my selfies look like I'm wearing a fresh layer of spray tanner! White levels and being able to read stuff when the sun's still out is way overrated. 

 

Quote:
Get ready to move those goalposts yet again. 

I wanted to help out, but you already moved 'em. Bastard.


Edited by Woochifer - 5/23/14 at 3:43pm
post #61 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

The whole issue was about how Android is all just about specs...what is the point of advertising a 64-bit CPU if the vast majority of apps and/or the UI itself do not even leverage it yet? If Android did that, Apple people would call it a gimmick. 

 

I agree that "Apple people" would call it a gimmick if Android did it.  But Android didn't do it.  Apple did.  So here you are, an Android fan, doing what you said Apple fans would do- calling it a gimmick.  It is not- it actually improves the speed and performance of the device.  What is the point of advertising a 64-bit CPU if.....  You are kidding, right?  It is a *differentiator*  Apple has it.  Android doesn't.  Of course they are going to promote it.  And Apple marketing is freakin' brilliant.  But just because something has brilliant marketing doesn't mean the product itself doesn't have merit.  The more Apple can make the conversation about '64-bit' the more they win- and Android sites and fans fall into that conversation easily.  Apple has a great marketing team with a *great* product.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


All has nothing to do with it. The iPhone 5S already delivers increased performance today by using the new ISA. That's a fact. If the iPhone with everything else being equal in HW was still running 32-bit it would perform worse.
 

 

I agree with you on this, and that was in fact my point.  64-bit has already proven its merit *now*  I do also believe it is just at the start of showing off its benefit.  Apple is well poised to launch future rocketships.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His "proof" that the iPhone is slower with 64-bit is ridiculous on multiple scales. Besides not comparing the same OSes at 32 and 64-bit he's also not even coming close to comparing the same HW. The Galaxy has to use beefier HW to even play in the same pool and therefore has to use a much larger battery to maintain any equivalency to battery life. We're talking a 2.45GHz CPU with 2 GiB RAM with a 2800 mAh battery compared to the iPhone 5S's 1.3Ghz with 1 GiB RAM and a 1450 mAh battery and yet the device from 2013 still trounces the Galaxy phone in comparable processing tests despite it being a newly released device. On top of that you have that first test in that video he thinks "proves" the iPhone sucks showing the Flickr app loading faster on the iPhone. Twice.
 

 

On this I disagree with you on a few points.  The two devices are far from 'copying' each other on at least this issue, but I don't think either side gets to pick and choose the elements that favor their device and say anything else shouldn't count.  I think devices get to use whatever they have 'as delivered.'  If Apple had the capability and actually delivered their existing device with their CPU at 2.45GHz, 2 GiB RAM, and a 2800 mAh battery- it most likely would have blown the competition out of the water.  But they didn't.   If Samsung delivered all that beefy hardware on a 64-bit platform with 64-bit apps, they may have completely smoked the 5s.  But they didn't.   If you are doing a speed test between a Lamborghini and a Ducati motorcycle, the Ducati fan doesn't get to say the Lambo needs to remove two tires in order to make the race comparably representative or that the Ducati is faster 'per tire.'  The iPhone is faster 'per core.'  So what?  In that case, the Samsung is faster 'per bit.'  It just doesn't matter.  Its about what happens when you have what you have in your hands, turn it on, and start doing stuff.

 

On the flip side, posting speed tests of the 5s running 32 bit apps is dubious at best.  It is capable of running 64-bit apps and so it is absolutely fair game to compare the 5s' 64-bit app speeds to 32-bit android speeds.  If Apple only had a handful of 64-bit apps there might be an argument- but they have tons of them.  Get over it Android fans and stop trying to skew reality to what you *wish* were true.

 

I like that video. because all I see is two great phones.  The S5 is newer and *should* be a bit faster, but it by no means is leaving the older 5s in the dust- and the 5s clearly wins a few too.

 

Hopefully the 6 is just a monster performance-wise.

post #62 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

Hilarious considering we were just now talking about spec overkill. 1080p displays are not necessary...but 64-bit processors that don't do anything are vital, and worth advertising. Ok. 

 

They do a good job at processing audio and video, oh and a fingerprint scanner that is actually useful.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #63 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

ORLY? What percentage of Apple apps are currently making use of that 64-bit processor?

 

It's sure not helping with app loading speed. This cheap Android phone can already beat it. 

 

 

Let's see it load 64bit Apps like this:-

 

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
 

Apparently Fandroids forgets that Android not only copies iOS but also Jailbroken iOS and OS X

 

...and even Lisa.

 

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #65 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd514 View Post

It's a NO GAME for the patent troll Apple.

Apple used the sapphire glass for the camera lens cover and fingerprint recognition home button for the first time in the world, but it was China’s Gionee that attempted to use it as front cover glass. Earlier this year Gionee launched a new product using sapphire as cover glass. More recently Shaoni announced its ambitious plan to use sapphire in its new smartphone

 

Vertu has been using sapphire for years, their latest touchscreen models still use it.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #66 of 90
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Personal attacks against Tallest Skil aren't my department.

 

That’s right; Suddenly’s in accounting.

 

I think I fired the PA guys. :p 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #67 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I agree that "Apple people" would call it a gimmick if Android did it.  But Android didn't do it.  Apple did.  So here you are, an Android fan, doing what you said Apple fans would do- calling it a gimmick.

It would be a gimmick on Android if released today because of the virtual machine that sits atop the Linux OS. As far as I know the entire stack hasn't been converted to run on 64-bit. Apple did this out of the gate. Seemless, but then again Apple has plenty of experience with architecture changes so anything less would be suspect.
Quote:
On this I disagree with you on a few points.  The two devices are far from 'copying' each other on at least this issue, but I don't think either side gets to pick and choose the elements that favor their device and say anything else shouldn't count.  I think devices get to use whatever they have 'as delivered.'  If Apple had the capability and actually delivered their existing device with their CPU at 2.45GHz, 2 GiB RAM, and a 2800 mAh battery- it most likely would have blown the competition out of the water.  But they didn't.   If Samsung delivered all that beefy hardware on a 64-bit platform with 64-bit apps, they may have completely smoked the 5s.  But they didn't.   If you are doing a speed test between a Lamborghini and a Ducati motorcycle, the Ducati fan doesn't get to say the Lambo needs to remove two tires in order to make the race comparably representative or that the Ducati is faster 'per tire.'  The iPhone is faster 'per core.'  So what?  In that case, the Samsung is faster 'per bit.'  It just doesn't matter.  Its about what happens when you have what you have in your hands, turn it on, and start doing stuff.

Are you really saying Apple couldn't have doubled the RAM, doubled the cores and nearly doubled the clock rate (because that doesn't sound like you) 't course they could do all that if they wanted to. They don't because it's power expense that simply isn't needed to achieve the fastest overall performance of any smartphone. To suggest they are incapable of doubling the RAM and adding a big ass brick of a battery to power it makes no sense.

Apple has an excellent history of balancing features, not simply focusing on one and then foregoing the rest because it's currently trendy with the superficially focused tech crowd. Apple didn't do OLED just because it was a buzzword. Apple didn't do quad-core just because it was a buzzword. Apple didn't do biometrics just because it was a buzzword.
Quote:
On the flip side, posting speed tests of the 5s running 32 bit apps is dubious at best.  It is capable of running 64-bit apps and so it is absolutely fair game to compare the 5s' 64-bit app speeds to 32-bit android speeds.  If Apple only had a handful of 64-bit apps there might be an argument- but they have tons of them.  Get over it Android fans and stop trying to skew reality to what you *wish* were true.

I like that video. because all I see is two great phones.  The S5 is newer and *should* be a bit faster, but it by no means is leaving the older 5s in the dust- and the 5s clearly wins a few too.

Hopefully the 6 is just a monster performance-wise.

I didn't even consider if the version of Flickr on the iPhone 5S was running as 32-bit but it's a moot point because it launched faster. What it didn't do faster was load all the images offscreen as noted by the moving Flickr icon but that is more likely a network speed issue but we can't test it because that info was given.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #68 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Thats pretty sad then, and not good news for Apple. Android is going to get faster across the board (via ART runtime), and Apple is already maxed out apparently.

It's funny how the Android camp is always saying "just you wait and see. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It's gonna be awesome sauce." Yet you never consider that Apple is working on advancements, too, which is why year-after-year they keep pulling further and further away which is why AnandTech has the iPhone 5 from 2012 trouncing the Galaxy S5 in many tests. For some inexplicable reason you people think that because Apple doesn't flaunt vaporware it means they aren't doing anything. This is why year-after-year you keep losing and why year-after-year you will keep getting more and more bitter.


PS: At least you have a fingerprint biometric on the Galaxy S5 that's so impressive it requires the same action with your finger as one would use to scrap Android dogshit off your shoe.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #69 of 90
Why are people wasting time responding to that troll JeffDenver? I've owned his a$$ countless times on BGR and now I see he's up to his usual tricks again. All he'll do is post a bunch of garbage and run away like the little coward he is. It's his MO.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #70 of 90
I'ld like to see Samsung mouths drop when Apple comes out with its liquid metal. They'll be a lot of liquid plastic in their boxers crying about how to follow that.
post #71 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post
 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

LOL, this is what it is always like on Apple forums. Patting each other on the back. It's like a cult. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post
 

"It's like a cult." 

 

Jeez. Can't you be original? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
 

Yes. Thats what kept me out of the Apple cult. 

No. That's what kept you following the anti-Apple cult.

Naaa, its for the entertainment value. Lots to laugh at  .. like reality-TV. Get it ?

post #72 of 90
Watch now as Apple introduces a completely *different* product. Perhaps corrective eyeglasses.

Sapphire has a huge refractive index, so it would make a great lens material for eyeglasses. The trouble has been the need to customize the shape, as sapphire isn't easily machined, as glass and plastic are. However, a flexible sapphire coating would be awesome and could be laminated onto a lens of the right shape for various prescriptions, producing a lightweight and very scratch resistant lens. Didn't Apple just hire a bunch of designers of fashion products and jewelry? They could be busy designing a variety of Apple-brand frames for the glasses. Perhaps made out of liquidmetal, another Apple-licensed product.

No, I'm not talking about "smart glasses", I mean just plain prescription glasses. The market is huge! But once the others (e.g., google) get the problems of "smart eyewear" identified, Apple could enter that market, too, with a game-changing solution.

Cook said Apple was interested in wearable technology. He didn't mention what type of technology. 1wink.gif
post #73 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Watch now as Apple introduces a completely *different* product. Perhaps corrective eyeglasses.

Sapphire has a huge refractive index, so it would make a great lens material for eyeglasses. The trouble has been the need to customize the shape, as sapphire isn't easily machined, as glass and plastic are. However, a flexible sapphire coating would be awesome and could be laminated onto a lens of the right shape for various prescriptions, producing a lightweight and very scratch resistant lens. Didn't Apple just hire a bunch of designers of fashion products and jewelry? They could be busy designing a variety of Apple-brand frames for the glasses. Perhaps made out of liquidmetal, another Apple-licensed product.

No, I'm not talking about "smart glasses", I mean just plain prescription glasses. The market is huge! But once the others (e.g., google) get the problems of "smart eyewear" identified, Apple could enter that market, too, with a game-changing solution.

Cook said Apple was interested in wearable technology. He didn't mention what type of technology. 1wink.gif

 

First off, Apple isn't using the Sapphire for a "coating", they are using it as a lens cover for the camera and supposedly as a replacement for Gorilla Glass. Eyewear? No. I highly doubt that.

 

Apple also doesn't have the licensing for Liquidmetal for eyewear.  They have it for electronic devices like smartphones, etc.

 

I know that the market for subscription glasses is HUGE, but the biggest player in that arena is Luxottica, which owns LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Target Optical, Sears Optical, etc. etc. etc., SunGlass Hut.  Luxottica owns Arnette, Oakley, Ray Ban, ESS, Oliver Peoples, Persol, and makes frames under license for just about everyone else.

post #74 of 90
post #75 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple also doesn't have the licensing for Liquidmetal for eyewear.  They have it for electronic devices like smartphones, etc.

Why assume that eyewear can't also be an electronic device? Wouldn't you think Apple would incorporate CE into eyewear if they wear going to go down that route, just as one might assume that Apple getting trademark protection for items covering watches and jewelry might some that is an electronic device, not simply a pair of gold earrings?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Why assume that eyewear can't also be an electronic device? Wouldn't you think Apple would incorporate CE into eyewear if they wear going to go down that route, just as one might assume that Apple getting trademark protection for items covering watches and jewelry might some that is an electronic device, not simply a pair of gold earrings?

I was just responding to the other person's post that they thought Apple would enter the prescription glasses industry w/o technology.

 

I personally don't think Apple is interested in eyewear like Google Glass.  I just don't see them going in that direction.

post #77 of 90
Why the apple are far behind on the smart glasses, smart watch, TVs and Liquidmedal. So they didn't have a skill to make to new products
post #78 of 90
They should to hired new congratulations collage students for new jobs
post #79 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I personally don't think Apple is interested in eyewear like Google Glass.  I just don't see them going in that direction.

Doing it like Google, I agree that Apple wouldn't release such a horrible product, but I can see a future where Apple builds technology that can seamlessly integrate into fairly standard-looking eyewear. if we're still not at the point where wrist-worn CE can be viable outside of a very limited fitness scope then eyewear aren't even on the radar. I would say we're more than decade out before I see that being feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

Why the apple are far behind on the smart glasses, smart watch, TVs and Liquidmedal. So they didn't have a skill to make to new products

Why the you think the apple so far behind the these things?
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/24/14 at 3:13pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #80 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

Why the apple are far behind on the smart glasses, smart watch, TVs and Liquidmedal. So they didn't have a skill to make to new products

Apple's not trying to make smart glasses that I'm aware of.  They've made no mention of even wanting to make one.

 

Apple is working on their smart watch and it's probably because they want to incorporate technology that hasn't been seen yet, by anyone.  Apple has been hiring various people from various industries to assist and maybe they want it to do things no one has available.  They have to design the hardware/internal components, OS, applications and this all takes time. You don't want them to come out with a useless product, do you?

 

TV's?  Cook mentioned that they might not be putting out TVs because the average person doesn't replace their TV as often as they do smartphones, tablets, and computers and it might not be something they want to enter into at this time. I think the average replacement cycle for TV's is around 7 to 10 years.  People replace smartphones, tablets and computers far more frequently.    TV's are an entirely different beast than computers/mobile devices.

 

 

Liquidmetal?  It's a very expensive process to do on a mass scale and it takes a while to build the facilities to pump out the volume levels of anything significant that Apple might use it for.  This was explained by one of the engineers at Liquidmetal a couple of years ago in an interview when Apple started first playing around with it.  Apple has to figure out what they would use it for first, then they have to test it, and once they actually decide what they want to make with it, they then have to build the facilities to make the actual component.  LIquidmetal isn't the mfg company, they just license the technology for Apple.  Apple has to build the facilities to make whatever it is they want to make and they have to look at the costs involved comparing to other existing technology.  If Apple wasn't selling millions of units on a yearly basis, it would take them less time to produce a decent sized component using that technology.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones