or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung set to unveil smart watch that makes calls without a paired phone - report

Samsung set to unveil smart watch that makes calls without a paired phone - report

post #1 of 86
Samsung is said to be working on yet another smart watch model expected to be unveiled this summer --?one that would completely replace a smartphone rather than simply being an accessory to one.

Gear 2

In addition to taking calls, the new stand-alone watch from Samsung is expected to capture pictures, send emails, and include integrated GPS, Bluetooth and even a heart-rate monitor, according to The Wall Street Journal. The rumored device would essentially be a wrist-bound smartphone, which is very different from existing smart watches, which offload battery-draining duties to wirelessly connected smartphones that must be in proximity.

Rather than running Android Wear, Samsung's phone-watch is said to feature the company's proprietary mobile operating system named Tizen. It will host a SIM card for independent connectivity, and is expected to be unveiled between June and July.

The new everything-in-one smart watch would be the fifth style the South Korean company would make currently available on the market. Samsung has employed the same "see-what-sticks" approach in the past, most notably in smartphones and tablets, where it has offered screen sizes in an extremely wide range.

Earlier this year, Samsung unveiled its Tizen-powered Gear 2 smart watches, which moved away from Google's Android. It too has a camera, while the Gear 2 Neo is mostly identical but lacks any picture taking capabilities.

Then there's the Gear Fit, a fitness-oriented wrist-worn device with a curved 1.84-innch Super AMOLED display. And finally, Samsung continues to offer the first-generation Galaxy Gear, which runs a customized version of Google Android.

Gear 2

Both the Gear and Gear 2 lineups offer the ability to place calls and participate in video chat, but those functions require connectivity to a limited range of Galaxy S smartphones to enable those functions while on the go. The Gear Fit does not offer those abilities, but does feature a built-in heart rate monitor.

Samsung's fifth smart watch to hit the market may arrive as hype for an anticipated "iWatch" from Apple could continue to build. The iPhone maker is rumored to be working on their own wrist-worn smart device, but it's not expected to be unveiled until later this year, if it arrives at all.

Samsung is also hoping to upstage Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference with a health-related event next Wednesday. WWDC will kick off five days later, and it's expected that Apple will introduce new health-related features in iOS 8, the anticipated next-generation version of its mobile operating system for iPhone and iPad.
post #2 of 86
Fail. Mainstream will not want this. What about calling plans? Not very well thought through IMO.
post #3 of 86
That's awesome. I'd love to be able to make calls from my watch, connected to my ear by an unsightly wire, or via bluetooth enabled earbuds I must wear at all times. Cool.
post #4 of 86

Puh-leez.  Anything to keep their name in the news.  BTW, I have a a Superfriends lunchbox / time machine.

post #5 of 86

And it has a whopping ten minute talk time.

post #6 of 86
Done well, this could be interesting ...

But, the only thing Sammy does well is copying
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #7 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone maker is rumored to be working on their own wrist-worn smart device, but it's not expected to be unveiled until later this year, if it arrives at all.

I’m thinking Apple is sitting back watching Samsung flail away at the wearable market and wondering if it’s really worth it. Unless the rumored iWatch is really something revolutionary I don’t see this category taking off.

post #8 of 86

maybe they see carrier sub as only way to move these units.

I can see the ad now.

"buy SmartGear watch for $0.01* and get another one for free*.  For a limited time, we will throw in a free* Galaxy S5 too"  :lol:

* - with 2 year contract.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #9 of 86
Those are not Smartwatches!

post #10 of 86

Wrist-bound will be excellent for this smartphonewatch, because you can hold the batteries in your hand.  /s.

post #11 of 86

I'm still not convinced that smart watches are the next big thing. Wasn't it the analysts that decided smart watches were the next big thing? Seriously? Analysts can't even manage their own business let alone dictating what the "next big thing in tech" should be and then punishing any company that doesn't jump on board.

I for one am not sold on a smart watch, I honestly don't think that I want one – at least nothing like we've seen so far anyway.

I'd agree that wearable tech is in our future, I just hope it's nothing like this crap.

post #12 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I’m thinking Apple is sitting back watching Samsung flail away at the wearable market and wondering if it’s really worth it. Unless the rumored iWatch is really something revolutionary I don’t see this category taking off.

I don't think that's what Apple is doing.  I think they know what they want it to do and they're incorporating what's needed into the next version of iOS and MacOS.  My guess is the iWatch will be more of a partner to the phone than anything Samsung has offered.  Perhaps the watch will be another factor for unlocking the phone.  I expect it will be bundle of sensors to feed additional data to the phone and display notifications from the phone.  I don't think the primary functions will be things people don't want or need to do. Suppose the watch will also seamlessly interface with MacOS as well and bring cool new functions to the computer? We should get a good idea at the developers conference.

post #13 of 86
Clearly an attempt to kill the Apple rumor buzz. We've seen this tired old play used by competing companies over and over again. Samsung will eventually come up with a smart watch that will probably sell... But ONLY AFTER they figure out how to copy and hijack Apples entry in the category.
post #14 of 86

Why would someone buy an expensive watch made out from plastic 

post #15 of 86

1. My arm is sore after 15 seconds of holding my wrist up and torsioning it toward my face. So forget about using this as a phone. 2. My fingers are large, so forget about a touchscreen keyboard on the face of the watch. 3. No voice control because of (1). So this will be an ugly wristwatch masquerading as a phone/txt device.  Forget it.

post #16 of 86
A monthly bill for my wrist in addition to the monthly bill I am already paying for my pocket? No thanks.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #17 of 86

Apple brought in the current mobile computing paradigm - this is what people want. A device that can pretty much replace most of the functions these people thought they needed a full blown computer for. The trend according to all the analysts is that people are moving to larger screened devices specifically because of that.

Where would a watch-phone fit in? No where.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #18 of 86
Dick Tracy lives!
post #19 of 86

I can just picture people walking around talking to their wrists. Great idea Samsung, not! 

I don't see why you would need a watch that is able to make calls or even take pictures. That just sounds a little ridiculous. Plus, how much would service be on a watch like that? I can just see the phone carriers doing something like pay $20 a month and add your Samsung watch to your plan. Stupid idea. 

post #20 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

A monthly bill for my wrist in addition to the monthly bill I am already paying for my pocket? No thanks.

Immediate thought I had as well.

Leveraging the phone has a cost efficiency sense at least, function of a wrist device is yet to be proved out.

post #21 of 86

Pair it up with Glass and you have the full geek ensemble.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It would be hilarious if Apple is deliberately delaying their SmartWatch waiting for Samsung to waste as much money as possible, before releasing theirs, and showing how it is done.

post #23 of 86
I think this may be a way for Samsung to make less crap. smaller=less :~}
post #24 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

It would be hilarious if Apple is deliberately delaying their SmartWatch waiting for Samsung to waste as much money as possible, before releasing theirs, and showing how it is done.

Step 1: Wait for Samsung to give up and let the analysts decree that smartwatches are not a viable market.

Step 2: Apple announces their smartwatch which will be discredited as doomed to failure because people don't want smartwatches. 

Step 3: Profit!

post #25 of 86

plastico

post #26 of 86

Winning!

post #27 of 86
This better have a 7" screen or no dice for me! /s
post #28 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I can just picture people walking around talking to their wrists. Great idea Samsung, not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jsDWV8YpQ

post #29 of 86
with as long as apple has waited, and as late to market as they will be, they really need to show something substantially different and better than what others are pushing out to the market.
post #30 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

with as long as apple has waited, and as late to market as they will be, they really need to show something substantially different and better than what others are pushing out to the market.

I agree... "Substantially different and better"... you're saying... Apple don't ship crap like this.

post #31 of 86

and... won't Samsung have to deal with the prior art issues.   The Chicago Tribune/New York Times Syndicate own's the rights to the wrist phone.

post #32 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Winning!

:p

post #33 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I agree... "Substantially different and better"... you're saying... Apple don't ship crap like this.

Personally i don't think an iWatch its a great idea, i do hope Apple knows what they're doing..they did a great job so far.

post #34 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Done well, this could be interesting ...

But, the only thing Sammy does well is copying

Not true! Have you seen their refrigerators?? :lol:

post #35 of 86

Who uses watches anymore anyways? I really hope this iWatch rumor is just that- a rumor. Talk about a product that couldn't induce any more yawns. Everybody carries their phones with them at all times. And it has a watch on it. This is a fad that will die quickly.

I hate watches. They give you weird tan markings. They stink badly if you wear them all the time. They are heavy and get in the way when you are writing, get stuck in your sleeves, get stuck when you take your jacket off. 

Unless you are 45+ and own a clean platinum or gold watch as purely a status symbol, they have no use. The iPhone already does everything and more than a smart watch, has a bigger screen, and you don't look like a tard when you use it. I'm sure they would sell a bunch. Just like Google's glasses. But a sucker is born every minute..

post #36 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I'm sure they would sell a bunch.

Countless dozens!

post #37 of 86
Quote:

Duh? The fact is what others are pushing out the market doesn't differentiate anyway. The bar is pretty low.

post #38 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Who uses watches anymore anyways? I really hope this iWatch rumor is just that- a rumor. Talk about a product that couldn't induce any more yawns. Everybody carries their phones with them at all times. And it has a watch on it. This is a fad that will die quickly.

I hate watches. They give you weird tan markings. They stink badly if you wear them all the time. They are heavy and get in the way when you are writing, get stuck in your sleeves, get stuck when you take your jacket off. 

Unless you are 45+ and own a clean platinum or gold watch as purely a status symbol, they have no use. The iPhone already does everything and more than a smart watch, has a bigger screen, and you don't look like a tard when you use it. I'm sure they would sell a bunch. Just like Google's glasses. But a sucker is born every minute..

I wear a watch on my left wrist and write with my right hand. I'm under 40 and use it to tell time. I take it off for bed. Still, I don't see a smart watch in my future even if Apple makes one.

How does one listen to calls on this watch? Will it be a speaker phone? That won't get annoying.
post #39 of 86
Quote:

What’s already on the market is junk and is not selling well at all. A recent report state that Samsung had shipped (not sold) a total of only 500K of their Gear products. Not exactly a runaway hit. So I don’t consider Apple to be late to a market that doesn’t yet exist.

post #40 of 86
It is interesting to see Samsung always updating the Smartwatch technology.

I am ready to change my Samsung Gear 2 for a Samsung Gear Solo. With phone and GPS more all the technology already in the Gear 2 the Samsung Gear Solo will be a great tool for all short of activities.

Thanks Samsung for not only going for top money investment and continue to bring technology that makes life fun and easier.

An other proof that Samsung is the coolest technology company.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung set to unveil smart watch that makes calls without a paired phone - report