or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more

post #1 of 215
Thread Starter 
In what has become a daily routine, a Friday report offers further information on Apple's rumored deal to buy Beats Electronics, this time saying the agreement has been delayed yet again as the two companies hammer out final details.



According to Billboard, there are five things that could potentially be holding up the widely rumored deal, including early leaks to the press, terms of the arrangement and questions regarding the future roles of Beats cofounders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre.

Citing sources familiar with the companies' ongoing discussions, the publication reports one problem is that the supposed $3.2 billion deal would be Apple's largest acquisition to date, also making it the biggest for CEO Tim Cook.

Another source claims details of the agreement leaked too soon. Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about future plans, but in this case the company was "nowhere near ready" for news to break, being in the middle of determining exactly what assets will be acquired in the deal.

Third, a video posted to Tyrese Gibson's Facebook page shows the actor/model seemingly celebrating the alleged acquisition with Dr. Dre, whose real name is Andre Young. In it, Young proclaimed he would be the first billionaire in hip-hop.

Another question that has been discussed ad nauseam over the past two weeks is how Iovine and Young fit into the equation. A report from The Wall Street Journal noted the two executives could land senior positions in Cupertino if a deal were to go through, but such an "acqui-hire" is not guaranteed.

Finally, Billboard has heard deal terms regarding Beats Music, Beats' subscription-based streaming service, are hampering forward progress. The problem is reaching a proper valuation for the service, which could be a contentious issue given the involvement of backers like Warner Music Group.

Friday's report merely adds fuel the rumor mill and curiously comes with a disclaimer noting the publication's sources were previously wrong in saying an Apple-Beats announcement would come this week, by Monday or "Tuesday at the latest."

Billboard also floated reports that Beats cofounder Jimmy Iovine was in talks to join Apple as a special advisor to CEO Tim Cook, while running a think piece in which "Steve Jobs" biographer Walter Isaacson said the deal could be the future of Apple's television set aspirations.

For what it's worth, the publication's sources are now saying a deal will indeed happen and that everything will be cleared up "next week."
post #2 of 215
Maybe Apple would just buy Rido or Spotify instead
post #3 of 215
As long as they keep calling these unfounded rumors "reports"...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 215
First of all%u2026 I am not a religious nut and I own a pair of beats headphones, but it kind of bothers me that beats headphones have a 666 on the hinges -- two hexagon shape bolts and the b of beats slightly twisted. Also when you see these headphones promoted the have 3 pairs that display 666. I am hoping that this is just a coincidence or doesn't have any dark intentions. Again%u2026 I hope, but I fear something much sinister is going on. I am looking forward for comments.
post #5 of 215
Quote:
For what it's worth, the publication's sources are now saying a deal will indeed happen and that everything will be cleared up "next week."

And then when the next week comes and goes and nothing has happened we'll get reports that it's for sure happening the week after that. Wow this is becoming one big joke. lol.gif
post #6 of 215
I seriously just want this deal to go through so I can stop hearing about it all the time
post #7 of 215
@Hugo Valasquez; I bought one of the first Apple 1 computers back in 1979. The price was $666.66. It didn't stop me from buying it, but I did pray over it before I used it.
post #8 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


According to Billboard, there are five things that could potentially be holding up the widely rumored deal, including early leaks to the press, terms of the arrangement and questions regarding the future roles of Beats cofounders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre.

Let me add one more thing "that could potentially be holding up the widely rumored deal"... It's all click bait. There is no deal, nor has there ever been one in the works.

Tune in next week when the rumor is that the rumored deal fell through because of a rumored reason ... That will be followed by the rumored reaction from rumored management at Apple, and that now rumored negotiations are now on-going with another company, rumored to be Google, who is rumored to have out-bid Apple by a rumored $Billion.

Do you realize that rumor has lasted longer then some of last year's new Fall TV shows??
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #9 of 215

It was "next week" a week ago...

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #10 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Velasquez View Post

First of all%u2026 I am not a religious nut and I own a pair of beats headphones, but it kind of bothers me that beats headphones have a 666 on the hinges -- two hexagon shape bolts and the b of beats slightly twisted. Also when you see these headphones promoted the have 3 pairs that display 666. I am hoping that this is just a coincidence or doesn't have any dark intentions. Again%u2026 I hope, but I fear something much sinister is going on. I am looking forward for comments.

It's well known in Satanic circles that Apple is the tool of the anti-christ.  Jobs was messenger with the first ad.  Now Dre and Iovine (both commanders of the dark arts) will take their rightful places at the table and feast with Satan.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

post #11 of 215

Yawn...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #12 of 215
Please stop posting about your religious neuroses. Save it for Church.
post #13 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Please stop posting about your religious neuroses. Save it for Church.

Jeez.. doesn't anyone have a sense of humor around here?

post #14 of 215

Appleinsider seems to be in love with Beats. Both MacRumors  http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/23/beats-apple-delay/ and 9toMac http://************/2014/05/23/beats-acquisition-could-be-delayed-for-a-variety-for-reasons-including-dres-early-announcement-video/?pushup=1 seem to suggest problems. Daring Fireball completely distrusts Billboard, and according to a post on Secret, all talks are over.

post #15 of 215

Maybe there is no real deal and it is just some PR that Beats audio needed. Let's suppose that if there is some talk going on than, and if the reason is Apple is mainly interested in Dre and Iovine, than the price that for $3.2 is ridiculous and in that case the WhatsApp valuation and the price FaceBook paid is nothing.

 

BTW, Apple hasn't been going up because of the Beats rumor, as some analyst claims it to be. The split is approaching and people are people want to get int the game, because there is going to be upswing on this stock after the split. There is still lot more juice left in this company, event after all the negativity from media. Also, the developer conference is around the corner and there will be some news there also.

 

So, let's just stop all the Beats rumor - The purchase never made sense and it never will.

post #16 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post
 
It's well known in Satanic circles that Apple is the tool of the anti-christ.  Jobs was messenger with the first ad.  Now Dre and Iovine (both commanders of the dark arts) will take their rightful places at the table and feast with Satan.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

"And... Yes Folks, Apple Basic is Free!" 

 

I can't read that without hearing Steve's voice.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #17 of 215
Maybe Apple will get a better price?

Get this, Dr Dre isn't a real doctor!
post #18 of 215
Steps to an Apple rumor:
1: report rumor as fact
2: insist rumor is fact
3: call anyone who defends sanity a fanboy
4: when rumor doesn't come to pass, create new rumor explaining the delay
5: insist rumor is fact...
post #19 of 215

I doubt Apple wants to work with someone that doesn't take Apple's culture seriously (especially its secrecy). And, I can't even see how Beats (Dr.Dre and Iovine) which is completely form without function would fit in Apple, who is all about a zen between form and function (Jony Ive).

post #20 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Maybe Apple will get a better price?

Get this, Dr Dre isn't a real doctor!

I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.
post #21 of 215
Quote:
I bought one of the first Apple 1 computers back in 1979. The price was $666.66. It didn't stop me from buying it, but I did pray over it before I used it.

Oh you are so going to hell

post #22 of 215

Yawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post


I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.

 

Dr. Dre has a resume?

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #23 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Maybe Apple would just buy Rido or Spotify instead

If you understood Beats history with Apple, you would understand why they are buying Beats.

post #24 of 215
From the Billboard story:
Quote:
People often forget that despite Apple being this company that makes sexy products, with sexy profit margins, and sexy retail outlets… it is not in fact a very sexy company. It is a conservative company, particularly without the leadership of its guiding light Steve Jobs who would shake things up massively on a daily basis.

WTF?!?

Quote:
One thing’s for sure: Apple is suffering a crisis of confidence right now and they could do with a pair who help them to “Think Different”.

The only crisis in confidence Apple would be suffering is if they purchased Beats thinking they needed Iovine and Dre to help them "Think Different". 1rolleyes.gif
post #25 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AICow View Post
 

And, I can't even see how Beats (Dr.Dre and Iovine) which is completely form without function would fit in Apple, who is all about a zen between form and function (Jony Ive).

 

FWIW (and I hate their headphones as much as the next guy), they will certainly not be hired as designers. If there is one thing I am 100% sure of, it's this.

 

Both, Jobs and Cook, have always talked about Apple sitting at the intersection of technology and liberal arts. And while they are no way doomed, and the winner in e.g. the race for streaming services has not been found (while they are growing fast, they are still at a very low level)... it is quite obvious that there are growing segments, right at their own intersection, where they have started to lose touch (or at least that is what it looks like). They are all members of the older generation and none of them (except for Ive) can even remotely be considered an artist. From this angle, bringing people in who understand the market, the artists and the audience can make some sense. (If it really requires $3.2 bn to make this happen is another question. Seems over the top to me, but what do I know.)

post #26 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AICow View Post
 

I doubt Apple wants to work with someone that doesn't take Apple's culture seriously (especially its secrecy). And, I can't even see how Beats (Dr.Dre and Iovine) which is completely form without function would fit in Apple, who is all about a zen between form and function (Jony Ive).

You are only seeing once side of Apple.

There is a side where the Beats founders friendship with Steve Jobs contributed to iTunes' success.

There is a not so pretty side that makes cutthroat deals using shell companies with labels and media content owners that many choose not to see.

Think of how corporations work, you can't be as big and successful as Apple and be all pretty.  Some people have to do the dirty work.

Remember, Beats is a very successful company in its own rights without Apple.

post #27 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

If you understood Beats history with Apple, you would understand why they are buying Beats.
What history does Beats (not Iovine) have with Apple other than their products are sold in Apple stores?
post #28 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post
 

 

FWIW (and I hate their headphones as much as the next guy), they will certainly not be hired as designers. If there is one thing I am 100% sure of, it's this.

 

Both, Jobs and Cook, have always talked about Apple sitting at the intersection of technology and liberal arts. And while they are no way doomed, and the winner in e.g. the race for streaming services has not been found (while they are growing fast, they are still at a very low level)... it is quite obvious that there are growing segments, right at their own intersection, where they have started to lose touch (or at least that is what it looks like). They are all members of the older generation and none of them (except for Ive) can even remotely be considered an artist. From this angle, bringing people in who understand the market, the artists and the audience can make some sense. (If it really requires $3.2 bn to make this happen is another question. Seems over the top to me, but what do I know.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

You are only seeing once side of Apple.

There is a side where the Beats founders friendship with Steve Jobs contributed to iTunes' success.

There is a not so pretty side that makes cutthroat deals using shell companies with labels and media content owners that many choose not to see.

Think of how corporations work, you can't be as big and successful as Apple and be all pretty.  Some people have to do the dirty work.

 

Why not just pay up a bit more for the content from music providers. It pays about 3B in licensing fees anyway (http://investorplace.com/2013/02/wednesday-apple-rumors-itunes-music-revenue-up-10-in-2012/#.U3_-Cl5WIvc 2012).

Anyway, Dr. Dre and Iovine probably got better deal with content providers because they are small and no competition...

A buyout from Apple voids all previous deals for iTunes.

post #29 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

FWIW (and I hate their headphones as much as the next guy), they will certainly not be hired as designers. If there is one thing I am 100% sure of, it's this.

Both, Jobs and Cook, have always talked about Apple sitting at the intersection of technology and liberal arts. And while they are no way doomed, and the winner in e.g. the race for streaming services has not been found (while they are growing fast, they are still at a very low level)... it is quite obvious that there are growing segments, right at their own intersection, where they have started to lose touch (or at least that is what it looks like). They are all members of the older generation and none of them (except for Ive) can even remotely be considered an artist. From this angle, bringing people in who understand the market, the artists and the audience can make some sense. (If it really requires $3.2 bn to make this happen is another question. Seems over the top to me, but what do I know.)
I'm not aware of anyone in Google's upper ranks being artists but they were able to create a decent Spotify competitor without having to acqui-hire celebrities to do it. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about music. Yeah I think Apple needs to be competitive in streaming music but I don't think it's their #1 issue.
post #30 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

From the Billboard story:
WTF?!?
The only crisis in confidence Apple would be suffering is if they purchased Beats thinking they needed Iovine and Dre to help them "Think Different". 1rolleyes.gif

Just goes to show that Billboard should stick to covering music and not tech.
post #31 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

If you understood Beats history with Apple, you would understand why they are buying Beats.

 

Apple is buying Beats?

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #32 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


What history does Beats (not Iovine) have with Apple other than their products are sold in Apple stores?

These guys have been friends with Apple leaders for years and they have been building what they advised Apple to build and Apple chose not to.

Now Apple realizes that some of these ideas were not all bad.

Do you think Steve Jobs just pull anyone off of the street to include in his public presentations?

I know that some people here can't understand this but you need friends from all walks of life and backgrounds in order to succeed sometimes.

Life is not just about pushing pretty iOS buttons to hear sweet music there is a lot more behind that button that you don't see.

Steve Jobs understood that and I think Tim Cook understands that.  Other Apple CEOs may have have understood that very well.

 

 


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 5/23/14 at 7:15pm
post #33 of 215

Apple's Board must be balking.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #34 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


What history does Beats (not Iovine) have with Apple other than their products are sold in Apple stores?

The Beats store lied directly across the street from the Apple store when Apple NY Soho moved into a temporary location 2 years ago during the remodel of Station A.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #35 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Get this, Dr Dre isn't a real doctor!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post


I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.

 

Didn't Dr. Dre invent Dred locks?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #36 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

These guys have been friends with Apple leaders for years and they have been building what they advised Apple to build and Apple chose not to.
Now Apple realizes that some of these ideas were not all bad.
Do you think Steve Jobs just pull anyone off of the street to include in his public presentations?
I know that some people here can't understand this but you need friends from all walks of life and backgrounds in order to succeed sometimes.
Life is not just about pushing pretty iOS buttons to hear sweet music there is a lot more behind that button that you don't see.
Steve Jobs understood that and I think Tim Cook understands that.  Other Apple CEOs may have have understood that very well.


 
Steve Jobs did a public presentation with Madonna as well. In fact I remember a special edition Madonna iPod. Maybe Apple should hire her too?
post #37 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Apple's Board must be balking.
Please let it be so!
post #38 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

These guys have been friends with Apple leaders for years and they have been building what they advised Apple to build and Apple chose not to.

Now Apple realizes that some of these ideas were not all bad.

Do you think Steve Jobs just pull anyone off of the street to include in his public presentations?

I know that some people here can't understand this but you need friends from all walks of life and backgrounds in order to succeed sometimes.

Life is not just about pushing pretty iOS buttons to hear sweet music there is a lot more behind that button that you don't see.

Steve Jobs understood that and I think Tim Cook understands that.  Other Apple CEOs may have have understood that very well.

 

 

Nest had a history with Apple, and Tim Cook hinted that it was expensive.

post #39 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

These guys have been friends with Apple leaders for years and they have been building what they advised Apple to build and Apple chose not to.

Now Apple realizes that some of these ideas were not all bad.

Do you think Steve Jobs just pull anyone off of the street to include in his public presentations?

I know that some people here can't understand this but you need friends from all walks of life and backgrounds in order to succeed sometimes.

Life is not just about pushing pretty iOS buttons to hear sweet music there is a lot more behind that button that you don't see.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AICow View Post
 

 

 

Why not just pay up a bit more for the content from music providers. It pays about 3B in licensing fees anyway (http://investorplace.com/2013/02/wednesday-apple-rumors-itunes-music-revenue-up-10-in-2012/#.U3_-Cl5WIvc 2012).

Anyway, Dr. Dre and Iovine probably got better deal with content providers because they are small and no competition...

A buyout from Apple voids all previous deals for iTunes.

You see, this is what you don't understand, money cannot buy everything.

Ask yourself, if Spotify and other online music would exist at all today if iTunes did not exist first?

Then ask yourself if iTunes would have existed if it wasn't for Iovine for example.

 

Seriously think about where Jobs, Iovine, and Dr. Dre came from and then try to understand how they each are very successful people in their own rights.

post #40 of 215
Originally Posted by iObserve View Post
Steps to an Apple rumor:
1: report rumor as fact
2: insist rumor is fact
3: call anyone who defends sanity a fanboy
4: when rumor doesn't come to pass, create new rumor explaining the delay
5: insist rumor is fact...

 

See my signature.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more