or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more

Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more - Page 2

post #41 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

You see, this is what you don't understand, money cannot buy everything.

Ask yourself, if Spotify and other online music would exist at all today if iTunes did not exist first?

Then ask yourself if iTunes would have existed if it wasn't for Iovine for example.

Seriously think about where Jobs, Iovine, and Dr. Dre came from and then try to understand how they each are very successful people in their own rights.

Successful people in their own rights, and two separate companies for the same reasons..

post #42 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve Jobs did a public presentation with Madonna as well. In fact I remember a special edition Madonna iPod. Maybe Apple should hire her too?

They already did- she'll be introduced when they'll unveil the iPad Maxi.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #43 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

It's well known in Satanic circles that Apple is the tool of the anti-christ.  Jobs was messenger with the first ad.  Now Dre and Iovine (both commanders of the dark arts) will take their rightful places at the table and feast with Satan.
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

So where is Tim Cook in this scenario? 1wink.gif
post #44 of 215
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post
So where is Tim Cook in this scenario? 1wink.gif

I think he’s Melkor.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #45 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Velasquez View Post

First of all%u2026 I am not a religious nut and I own a pair of beats headphones, but it kind of bothers me that beats headphones have a 666 on the hinges -- two hexagon shape bolts and the b of beats slightly twisted. Also when you see these headphones promoted the have 3 pairs that display 666. I am hoping that this is just a coincidence or doesn't have any dark intentions. Again%u2026 I hope, but I fear something much sinister is going on. I am looking forward for comments.

You don't let fear rule your decision making process, do you? If there is a personal God he/she is beyond rudimentary numbers.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #46 of 215

The photos on all these Dr Dre and Iovine stories should have them looking more and more sad as the negotiations drag on :)

post #47 of 215
Quote:

I'm not aware of anyone in Google's upper ranks being artists but they were able to create a decent Spotify competitor without having to acqui-hire celebrities to do it. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about music. Yeah I think Apple needs to be competitive in streaming music but I don't think it's their #1 issue.

I would argue that Schmidt is quite a con artist, but I won't.

Apple needs nobody to create something like Spotify, the technology is not a problem (actually getting a curated service like iTunes Radio right might be more challenging than an a la carte one) and licenses can be negotiated.

The comparison with Google does not work, as Google does everything, sees what sticks, and kills it if not. With the exception of Ping this is really not what Apple does. They want to best existing services, a me too product like Google Music All Access is not what they aim for. And going by the lack of enthusiast reactions to iTunes Radio, I really don't think they delivered something that is up to their own standards there – it is a nice muzak generator, but nobody says "this is something only Apple could have done", because it is not. Bringing iTunes into, and defining the next decade involves more than copying Spotify. It requires insight into where the industry is headed to foresee their moves and make them offers they can't resist. Jobs, through his connections to the movie industry, did have enormous insight into the content market. Cook can't have that, nobody at Apple does.

post #48 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AICow View Post

Nest had a history with Apple, and Tim Cook hinted that it was expensive.

Some Nest Employees are ex-Apple employees.

Completely different ball game.

post #49 of 215
Quote:

I'm not aware of anyone in Google's upper ranks being artists but they were able to create a decent Spotify competitor without having to acqui-hire celebrities to do it. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about music. Yeah I think Apple needs to be competitive in streaming music but I don't think it's their #1 issue.

I agree with this. Since the music labels don't want to play ball with Apple, what would be wrong with Apple providing a first class music framework which any of Pandora, Spotify, or Rdio could tie into?
post #50 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AICow View Post

Nest had a history with Apple, and Tim Cook hinted that it was expensive.

I only just realized that $3.2Bn is exactly what Google acquired Nest for.

If I had 3.2Bn to spend on either Beats or Nest, my choice would be beyond obvious.
post #51 of 215

Everybody's offering their opinion on this baloney rumor, and I have one too.

I think that Apple should punish Beats and kill the whole deal, if there ever was any deal to begin with.

post #52 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I only just realized that $3.2Bn is exactly what Google acquired Nest for.
If I had 3.2Bn to spend on either Beats or Nest, my choice would be beyond obvious.

Mine too.

Neither is worth $3B.

In either case, buy a smaller talented company with smarts for 1/50th price. Make them new millionaires (not billionaires) and help them to use their expertise with Apple's to build exactly what Apple wants and needs.

post #53 of 215
These guys are shim-sham artists.
I say the deal dies before WWDC
post #54 of 215
Quote:

Jeez.. doesn't anyone have a sense of humor around here?

It's a joke that gets recycled for the past 20+ years. Sadly, some people will kick in their religious fervor and hence my comment.

post #55 of 215
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Please stop posting about your religious neuroses. Save it for Church.
Jeez.. doesn't anyone have a sense of humor around here?

I do. The other one was simply failing Hugomongously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yawn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.

Dr. Dre has a resume?

Nope. Only a button; play and resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

If you understood Beats history with Apple, you would understand why they are buying Beats.

Apple is buying Beats?

Beats me.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #56 of 215

Beats, smeats. Until Apple states their intent for this acquisition (if its true) theres no Logic to this deal.

post #57 of 215

In the news tonight: Apple is still buying Beats, and Generalissimo Franco is still dead.

post #58 of 215
Quote:

First of all%u2026 I am not a religious nut and I own a pair of beats headphones, but it kind of bothers me that beats headphones have a 666 on the hinges -- two hexagon shape bolts and the b of beats slightly twisted. Also when you see these headphones promoted the have 3 pairs that display 666. I am hoping that this is just a coincidence or doesn't have any dark intentions. Again%u2026 I hope, but I fear something much sinister is going on. I am looking forward for comments.

You're looking at it upside down - it's 999.

post #59 of 215
It seems to be an incredible bad idea.
post #60 of 215

These comments have a smell like a bowl of cheerios w/ milk that somebody forgot about, and left sitting in the sun all day.

post #61 of 215
People can legitimately complain about the strategy, the fit, and the two guys being hired (assuming any of this is true). I have done so myself.

But to suggest that $3.2B is an overvaluation is silly on its face. We have absolutely no idea what Beats's cash flows are.

If the numbers I've seen thrown around are true, this is a solid business business with solid profits. Even leaving synergies aside, a standalone valuation of $3.2 for the company might be more than amply justified.
post #62 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.

You mean he's not really a Doctor? 

Looks like we've got ourselves quite a yawn-fest going on here. 

post #63 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

People can legitimately complain about the strategy, the fit, and the two guys being hired (assuming any of this is true). I have done so myself.

But to suggest that $3.2B is an overvaluation is silly on its face. We have absolutely no idea what Beats's cash flows are.

If the numbers I've seen thrown around are true, this is a solid business business with solid profits. Even leaving synergies aside, a standalone valuation of $3.2 for the company might be more than amply justified.
And solid future profits?
post #64 of 215
Quote:

Yep. We need to have a betting pool for the month and year that the Beats fad expires.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #65 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Yep. We need to have a betting pool for the month and year that the Beats fad expires.
Apple would be buying them at the height of their popularity.

I'm on the same page as this tweet from Ben Thompson:
Quote:
@monkbent
Apple backing out because Dre celebrated doesn't bother me. Rather, Apple not knowing what they were buying does. Shades of John Browett.

To me that's the most damning thing in this billboard story. And why I hope it doesn't happen. I don't want Apple to buy something because they're feeling pressure to spend their money (in other ways than stock buy backs) or because someone inside/outside the company told them they weren't hip and cool anymore and they think Beats would bring some of that back (shades of iPods and silhouette advertising).
post #66 of 215
Quote:

What makes you think not?
post #67 of 215
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, you and the rest of us are likely to have a better handle on this than Apple does.

/s
post #68 of 215
Quote:

Apple would be buying them at the height of their popularity.

Such arrogance! (Unless, of course, you have some evidence to back up the assertion that they're 'at the height of their popularity', in which case, I apologize in advance).
post #69 of 215
Quote:

You're probably not being serious, but if this is a real deal with Apple, it needs to be said that they would not be seeing it as anything like a fad, but as a new product category.

Like the iPod, for example, "1000 songs in your pocket." Beats headphones are the first ear appliance that makes audio environments portable and wearable out in the world. Gruber picked up the phrase, "it's like wearing a nightclub on your head" from somewhere.

This is of course done by giving room to the bass at the expense of accuracy, but the Beats market doesn't care about accuracy, it wants atmosphere, portable auditory attitude culture. That could be a vast world market of the rising post-colonial classes, but first, Apple would have to bring down the price of entry models, and maybe make them with on board equalizers to take in the world mix of instruments and voices.

Anyway, if headphones are the new iPod, there are years of market development ahead. All bets would be off in this scenario.
post #70 of 215
Quote:

Such arrogance! (Unless, of course, you have some evidence to back up the assertion that they're 'at the height of their popularity', in which case, I apologize in advance).
Ok I don't know that for sure. But Apple certainly isn't buying some up and coming brand that not many people have heard about. Beats is a fad IMO and we know how quickly fads can go out of style.
post #71 of 215
Quote:

Yeah, you and the rest of us are likely to have a better handle on this than Apple does.

/s
Tim Cook did hire John Browett. /s
post #72 of 215
Quote:

Quote:

/s
Tim Cook did hire John Browett. /s

That comment borders on the idiotic. One, he reversed it. Two, and more important, your observation has nothing to with my post, which was (and your response to that too was) specifically about the likely valuation for Beats.

Don't change the premise midway through a conversation.
post #73 of 215
From what I understand
They are buying access
.... To the growth demographic
..... To content labels
.... To what's now no wait for the us to build

My issue among many that have been mentioned
If there is a delay because of "valuation ""
Then why the price point pushed of 3.2 B???
Is it worth less or
Come now --- MORE??
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #74 of 215

This probably happened if there was a deal http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/23/mcgraw or this http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/23/ati.. Secrecy is always priority.

Edited by AICow - 5/24/14 at 9:56am
post #75 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

If there is a delay because of "valuation ""
Then why the price point pushed of 3.2 B???
Is it worth less or
Come now --- MORE??

We have absolutely no clue, unfortunately, since Beats is a privately held company and no data are available.
post #76 of 215
Quote:

It is what it is and consider the people (Dr. Dre specifically) behind the company.  Just read the lyrics to the music he creates and produces, that should explain his mentality.  Not exactly someone I would allow baby sitting my kids.

post #77 of 215
Quote:

What I've read is that the electronics portion of Beats (headphones) makes a decent profit, but the Beats Music (subscription service) is losing money as they were looking for $100 Million more for the Beats Music division, which doesn't surprise me.

If you look at the Net Profits to Gross Revenue for any content subscription, movie rental (NetFlix), Digital Download (Amazon), etc.  it's a VERY low profit margin business.

Apple just needs to negotiate deals to offer a subscription service, but I don't think they NEED to at this time.  Several reasons why I feel this way.

1.  They can't get the entire catalogs from the record distributors to allow for subscription based music downloads as they simply don't let companies offer the entire catalog.

2.  No one has proven that it's profitable.  Apple's iTunes, is the largest download site and they don't run off of large Net Profit margin, as it's more offered as a convenience (and to help fend off illegal downloads) to Apple iPod customers as that what it was originally designed for.  I just think it's more of getting Beats out of the picture instead of Google, Microsoft, etc. from buying them out.

Whether this happens or not, if Apple simply walked away from the deal, it would probably make Beats less valuable and less attractive to someone else buying them out as it would signal lots of questions behind them bailing on the deal.

I wish I had more answers than that, but since Cook & Co. have been tight lipped on it, who knows what the reality is behind this deal. Maybe Cook finally got exposed to things that changes the deal after the YouTube video that Dr. Dre released with his drinking buddies.  I'm sure that might have some impact on this since it was prematurely released that the deal was signed and sealed and official.  I'm sure that didn't go over well in Cupertino.

post #78 of 215

Let just say this:  The Beats deal makes sense if 50% of the deal goes directly to Iovine ($1.6 billion) and it is treated like a hire for Apple.

The other guy is just a bad rap artist that is not worth that kind of money.  That is the hold up.  Ego.

post #79 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

You mean he's not really a Doctor? 

Looks like we've got ourselves quite a yawn-fest going on here. 

His real name is Andre Young, according to sources close to the matter. AppleInsider cannot confirm or deny this and is merely passing this information along for the purpose of discussion. Highly reliable insider Ming-chi Kuo says a 5.5 inch version of Dr. Dre is coming later this year.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #80 of 215

If I were Apple, I would be looking at maybe buying Savant Systems, which is a 100% Apple based company that goes after the higher end home/business automation systems market.  They have a rock solid track record of innovative products, they are 100% Apple based, they are growing in a market that IS growing quite rapidly.  So, I think if that company wanted to get absorbed into Apple, that might be a great buyout and then let the company run independently of Apple, but giving them access back and forth to the engineering group.  They have some slick UI ideas for managing a home/business automation system.  I don't know how expensive the company would be to buy them out, but I would look at them.

There are a few other smaller players that might be interesting but it would be more technology based companies rather than lo-fi headphones.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more