or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iMac shipping times slip as lower-priced models may arrive at WWDC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iMac shipping times slip as lower-priced models may arrive at WWDC

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
With Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference just a week away, shipping times for new iMac orders direct from the company are advertised at between 3 and 5 business days, supporting rumors of new, lower-priced options coming soon.




All of the standard configurations of Apple's iMac, in both the 21.5- and 27-inch screen sizes, currently have delayed shipping. Typically, Apple ships orders of its new Macs to customers within 24 hours --?all of its MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models currently ship within a day.

As of this weekend, the iMac was also shipping in 24 hours, but it is currently seeing delays from Apple's own online store, and the wait is even longer for customers who may be looking to upgrade from the base configurations. For example, adding a 3.5-gigahertz quad-core Intel i7 chip bumps the shipping estimate to five to seven business days, while increasing the RAM to 16 or 32 gigabytes means the system will take up to 10 business days to ship.

Some authorized Apple resellers, as can be found in the AppleInsider Mac Price Guide, are also seeing limited iMac inventory a week before WWDC. And those in stock are currently selling at the steepest discounts to their price points of any current product in the Mac lineup -- all Mac models are available through resellers at discounts of around $150, the largest such discount seen for any Mac.

Amazon is completely sold out of the base-line 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, relying on third-party resellers who only have a handful of units left in stock. MacMall is also down to its last units on the 2.9-gigahertz 21.5-inch model, and the 3.4-gigahertz 27-inch model.

iMac


However, resellers B&H as well as Best Buy currently show all standard-configuration iMac models in stock, suggesting supply shortages are not yet widespread.

The timing aligns with claims from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who revealed last month that Apple was planning to launch a new low-cost iMac model in the near future. With Apple's WWDC keynote set to be held next Monday, it would seem to be an opportune time for Apple to unveil a refresh to its all-in-one desktop lineup.

Kuo said the cheaper iMac will allow Apple to better compete with other all-in-one desktop makers HP and Lenovo, giving the Mac maker a stronger position with which to compete in growing markets like China. He expects lower prices to boost iMac sales by 23 percent this year, totaling 4.8 million units.

If cheaper iMacs do launch next week, 2014 could be shaping up to become the year of the cheaper Mac. Apple already cut the prices on its MacBook Air models with a minor processor update last month, making the thin-and-light machines the most affordable mass-market notebooks in the company's storied history.

The iMac lineup was last refreshed in September of 2013, when Apple upgraded the machines to Intel's Haswell processors. The desktops were also outfitted with speedy 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and also saw an upgrade to Nvidia's GeForce 700-series graphics.
post #2 of 41

I hope they can make it thinner this time. /s

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #3 of 41
Give me retina and spec bump (Graphics especially).

I think I need to purchase one soon (one of our offices iMac is showing its age because we started doing more intensive graphic work (not enough to justify a MacPro though))
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I hope they can make it thinner this time. /s

 

Really!  When are the going to have the pane-o-glass touch scene (finger print proof) with the XBit super-ethernet that is lit inside so it can't be read from both directions? "Security, security, we don't need no stinkin security ¡"* Of course the mech HD should be gone and all memory is shared in one giant pool that serves all systems and can be reallocated on the fly. 

 

*Apologies to B. Traven's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

 

Just bought a BTO with the 3.7gHz i7 Quad and 3 Tb Fusion with the fastest graphics I could get. Only Thing that sucks is that it is not waterproof so I could shave with it in the shower.


Edited by Damn_Its_Hot - 5/31/14 at 4:32am
post #5 of 41

I can guarantee that Apple are about to release the cheapest, fastest, largest, highest DPI iMac you could ever imagine.

The reason I can be so sure of this is that I just bought a new 27" i7 last week so they are bound to release an awesome update now.

post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Give me retina and spec bump (Graphics especially).

I think I need to purchase one soon (one of our offices iMac is showing its age because we started doing more intensive graphic work (not enough to justify a MacPro though))

Have you beheld a Mac Pro 'in the metal'? No one who does thinks again about justifying a purchase (unless one's wife and household budget are involved)! :-)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #7 of 41
Quote:
However, resellers B&H as well as Best Buy currently show all standard-configuration iMac models in stock, suggesting supply shortages are not yet widespread.

 

This made me chuckle, have not been in a best buy in years.  Not thinking they are the sign of anything relevant.

post #8 of 41
Apple is*
Apple is not plural, it refers to a company and therefore requires "is."
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I can guarantee that Apple are about to release the cheapest, fastest, largest, highest DPI iMac you could ever imagine.
The reason I can be so sure of this is that I just bought a new 27" i7 last week so they are bound to release an awesome update now.

Apple is. Not are. Apple is a company and therefore requires the singular helping verb of is.
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Apple is*
Apple is not plural, it refers to a company and therefore requires "is."

Depends on where you're from. In many countries, "Apple" is considered a collective noun and verbs can therefore take plural or singular forms depending on the intended usage.
post #11 of 41

If they do drop prices on the iMac, form will have finally and completely overtaken function.

 

The problem with the iMac isn't the price, it's the inability to replace the RAM and HD.

 

Design a semi-serviceable iMac, and keep the price and profit margin where they are.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #12 of 41
And Evilution is probably from somewhere in the British Empire. Nothing shows in his profile at the moment...
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If they do drop prices on the iMac, form will have finally and completely overtaken function.

The problem with the iMac isn't the price, it's the inability to replace the RAM and HD.

Design a semi-serviceable iMac, and keep the price and profit margin where they are.
No more HDDs all Flash storage for all Macs from now on & a new wifi/Tbolt storage-tier product to make sure the SSD never fills up.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If they do drop prices on the iMac, form will have finally and completely overtaken function.

The problem with the iMac isn't the price, it's the inability to replace the RAM and HD.

Design a semi-serviceable iMac, and keep the price and profit margin where they are.

Changing RAM in a 27" iMac is fairly painless and requires no tools. You've never even able to change the hard drive/flash in an iMac so why would you expect this to happen? 9/10 people could care less about changing either the RAM or hard drive.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #15 of 41

Add some Beats speakers to it too while your at it. Whatever they use now- sucks.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post


No more HDDs all Flash storage for all Macs from now on & a new wifi/Tbolt storage-tier product to make sure the SSD never fills up.

 

If SSDs were 1/4 their current cost, maybe...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #17 of 41
Let me guess: they're going to drop the entry level model by $100 but also reduce its RAM to 4Gs and charge $100 to upgrade at time of purchase.

ahem
post #18 of 41
My grandfather bought his first few tv's as kits and put them together. For years it was common that people change tubes in radios, tv's and other electronics. For the most part , changing tubes, a stylus on a record player or even building your own tv could be achieved by a normally educated person with some degree of knowledge in electronics. The computer industry is no different, it won't be long that all electronics are completely non user serviceable. When was the last time you have upgraded any of the electronics I mentioned above? The real issue is not user serviceable but rather building computers and devices that last. I would say apple does well in this regard considering this year I finally retired a 2006 white macbook and 2006 Mac mini. They stopped being my main computers in 2012, but still ran daily until the end.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Apple is. Not are. Apple is a company and therefore requires the singular helping verb of is.

Give the guy a break, he is probably English! The English have done more to screw up English the language than just about anybody. In England the proper English would in fact be the use of "are" even though the logic behind such usage is strained.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Depends on where you're from. In many countries, "Apple" is considered a collective noun and verbs can therefore take plural or singular forms depending on the intended usage.
I getcha, sorry. My bad.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Give the guy a break, he is probably English! The English have done more to screw up English the language than just about anybody. In England the proper English would in fact be the use of "are" even though the logic behind such usage is strained.
gotcha, sorry.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post
 

 

Just bought a BTO with the 3.7gHz i7 Quad and 3 Tb Fusion with the fastest graphics I could get.

 

This is exactly what I want to get this year - the (almost) fully loaded 27 inch iMac. I hope there is some interesting updates before this year is out.

post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


Changing RAM in a 27" iMac is fairly painless and requires no tools.

 

But not in the 21-incher. And recent reports say that sales for that model are lagging [can't find the link right now.] If cutting margins and delivering lower priced iMacs is really on the table, one would think it would be preferable to deliver more value.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


You've never even able to change the hard drive/flash in an iMac so why would you expect this to happen? 9/10 people could care less about changing either the RAM or hard drive.

 

For many of us, access to RAM and the hard drive adds value. That one person out of the ten is the smart one. :)

 

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

But not in the 21-incher. And recent reports say that sales for that model are lagging [can't find the link right now.] If cutting margins and delivering lower priced iMacs is really on the table, one would think it would be preferable to deliver more value.


For many of us, access to RAM and the hard drive adds value. That one person out of the ten is the smart one. 1smile.gif

I'd rather see a link that points to the lack of expanding the RAM in an iMac leads to falling sales.

Obviously, Apple doesn't see it as adding value or else they'd do it. Just because you want it, doesn't mean everyone else does.

More like sales are lagging because desktop sales in general are lagging as people are buying notebooks and tablets instead.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If SSDs were 1/4 their current cost, maybe...
There's nothing wrong with the current capacity/cost most users I've encountered wouldn't fill 256GB. The problem is; what happens when a drive does fill up? Re-purpose the local drive as a cache for a larger backing store and you're fine.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Give the guy a break, he is probably English! The English have done more to screw up English the language than just about anybody. In England the proper English would in fact be the use of "are" even though the logic behind such usage is strained.

Get away! You Americans have butchered the English language more than any other country.

Both "are" and "is" are perfectly useable in this scenario.

 

Apple is a company, companies can be collective nouns or a singular entity. Don't let your loose American grasp on English vocabulary confuse you. You are the ones that started "can I get a coffee" instead of "can I have a coffee". Unless you are actually going to jump over the counter and make the coffee yourself, you can't GET a coffee.

post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'd rather see a link that points to the lack of expanding the RAM in an iMac leads to falling sales.
This is one of those things that is hard to prove without a lot of research. All I can say is that I will not personally buy an iMac as long as serviceability is an issue. Replacement of a hard disk or power supply should not be a major undertaking on any sort of desktop machine.
Quote:

Obviously, Apple doesn't see it as adding value or else they'd do it. Just because you want it, doesn't mean everyone else does.
Of course not but the problem here is that it is a simple issue of design. Accessibility doesn't add significant costs and in fact can make machine assembly easier. In any event it is a design issue that keeps iMacs out of a lot of corporate installations also so it isn't just a consumer level issue.
Quote:

More like sales are lagging because desktop sales in general are lagging as people are buying notebooks and tablets instead.

This is a real problem but also highlights an issue that bothers me a bit, that is why doesn't Apple make its machines more useful in the sorts of applications where a desktop is still the go to machine. The Example here is the Min and Apples attempts to market it as a server. Seriously who implements a server where the storage media is not accessible. By the way it isn't just traditional server duties where the Mini sucks, it really doesn't cut the mustard for home video server duty either. Sure in either case you can make it work but it is hardly an ideal solution.

In other words we don't need a niche desktop iMac, low cost or not, we need a flexible box that is easy to service. Honestly this noise about a low cost iMac just proves to me that Apple has lost touch with their users and their needs. The last thing Apple needs is yet another desktop that is hard to service and is all in one.
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Get away! You Americans have butchered the English language more than any other country.
Both "are" and "is" are perfectly useable in this scenario.
Maybe in England.
Quote:
Apple is a company, companies can be collective nouns or a singular entity.
I'm sorry but in the USA a company is a legal entity just like a person.
Quote:
Don't let your loose American grasp on English vocabulary confuse you. You are the ones that started "can I get a coffee" instead of "can I have a coffee". Unless you are actually going to jump over the counter and make the coffee yourself, you can't GET a coffee.

Err, proper english would be "may I have a coffee" if you are willing to actually drink that stuff.
post #29 of 41

Shipping times are back to 'within 24 hours' on the Apple Store site.

post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Holley View Post

Shipping times are back to 'within 24 hours' on the Apple Store site.

Oh no, shipping times unslip! This means lower-priced models delayed and won't be seen at WWDC. Downgrade AAPL for improving shipping times and possibly delaying possibly fictional product.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Apple is*
Apple is not plural, it refers to a company and therefore requires "is."

Depends on where you're from. In many countries, "Apple" is considered a collective noun and verbs can therefore take plural or singular forms depending on the intended usage.

iNosey is right, although using the plural is tolerable.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
 

If they do drop prices on the iMac, form will have finally and completely overtaken function.

 

The problem with the iMac isn't the price, it's the inability to replace the RAM and HD.

 

Design a semi-serviceable iMac, and keep the price and profit margin where they are.

You're absolutely right-to which I would add: the fact that there is no built-in floppy drive is a deal-breaker to the dozens and dozens of people who like to replace their RAM and HD.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Apple is. Not are. Apple is a company and therefore requires the singular helping verb of is.

Give the guy a break, he is probably English! The English have done more to screw up English the language than just about anybody. In England the proper English would in fact be the use of "are" even though the logic behind such usage is strained.

You're both right, really. If you said, "The company are in no position," it would sound distinctly odd, and yet, that is what you are effectively saying when you say, "Apple are in no position."

 

Or take this example:

 

There is one company which is able to dominate. That is Apple.

There are one company which are able to dominate. That are Apple.

 

The first is obviously correct. 

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Get away! You Americans have butchered the English language more than any other country.
Both "are" and "is" are perfectly useable in this scenario.
Maybe in England.
Quote:
Apple is a company, companies can be collective nouns or a singular entity.
I'm sorry but in the USA a company is a legal entity just like a person.
Quote:
Don't let your loose American grasp on English vocabulary confuse you. You are the ones that started "can I get a coffee" instead of "can I have a coffee". Unless you are actually going to jump over the counter and make the coffee yourself, you can't GET a coffee.

Err, proper english would be "may I have a coffee" if you are willing to actually drink that stuff.

Correct usage would be either, "Please may I have a coffee?" or "May I have a coffee, please?" or "Would you be so kind as to make me a coffee?" or "Please would you kindly make me a coffee?" or other possibilities including the word 'please' or something similar. Presumably Dre and his ilk would say "Get me a muthafucin' coffee now niggabitch!" that being the correct terminology for rappers and those who like rap(rape of the ears).


Edited by Benjamin Frost - 5/30/14 at 11:54am
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

You're absolutely right-to which I would add: the fact that there is no built-in floppy drive is a deal-breaker to the dozens and dozens of people who like to replace their RAM and HD.

 

Smart people understand that the easiest way to extend the life of a desktop is to upgrade the RAM and HD.

 

If you care about the environment, dumping good, usable machines after three years simply because they don't have the memory to run modern applications is sickening. I don't care how recyclable the chassis is, if adding a stick of RAM and a new HD means the machine (and screen) can be used again for education, prison or local and foreign charity uses, it should stay out of the dump.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

 
You're absolutely right-to which I would add: the fact that there is no built-in floppy drive is a deal-breaker to the dozens and dozens of people who like to replace their RAM and HD.

Smart people understand that the easiest way to extend the life of a desktop is to upgrade the RAM and HD.

If you care about the environment, dumping good, usable machines after three years simply because they don't have the memory to run modern applications is sickening. I don't care how recyclable the chassis is, if adding a stick of RAM and a new HD means the machine (and screen) can be used again for education, prison or local and foreign charity uses, it should stay out of the dump.

If you buy a Mac, there's no need to dump after three years; that's Windows mentality. My first iMac lasted me seven years (and still works), and my current 2008 is still fine.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Smart people understand that the easiest way to extend the life of a desktop is to upgrade the RAM and HD.
It depends upon how you use your machine and where your performance bottleneck is. In general though upgrades simply aren't as valuable as they have been in the past. With the way software has evolved these days, if you buy enough RAM upfront you should be in good shape for years.
Quote:
If you care about the environment, dumping good, usable machines after three years simply because they don't have the memory to run modern applications is sickening.
Well I don't know about sickening but maybe a better word is stupid. Even then you can't say with 100% confidence that it is stupid, rather you have to consider the users needs.
Quote:
I don't care how recyclable the chassis is, if adding a stick of RAM and a new HD means the machine (and screen) can be used again for education, prison
Why should somebody in prison get a used computer? What many of those prisoners need is a daily whack upside the head.
Quote:
or local and foreign charity uses, it should stay out of the dump.

Retasking old computers is the smart thing to do as long as they remain reliable. The real mark of age is when reliability goes out the window. This is the point where recycling makes sense.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you buy a Mac, there's no need to dump after three years; that's Windows mentality.
For most users this is certainly the case. However don't pursue to think that everybody can get buy with the performance of a three year old computer.

Quote:
My first iMac lasted me seven cyears (and still works), and my current 2008 is still fine.

See here is the flips side if you can run a 2008 Mac and not have performance complaints then you have extremely modest requirements.
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why should somebody in prison get a used computer? What many of those prisoners need is a daily whack upside the head.
 

 

I think his priority there was education. There have been programs that attempt to educate those in prison, figuring that they would then be less likely to return. I am however not sure what their success rate is like. Considering the cost of incarceration vs having another taxpayer to help with the cost of remaining prisoners, the reasoning seems obvious. That aside the use of violence to ensure submission is unlikely to have a desirable long term effect.

post #40 of 41
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Apple is*
Apple is not plural, it refers to a company and therefore requires "is."

Depends on where you're from. In many countries, "Apple" is considered a collective noun and verbs can therefore take plural or singular forms depending on the intended usage.

 

I am trying to learn here so no DIS intended. Can you give me a couple of countries where this is the case? I am not aware of any myself (doesn't mean they do not exist) and I know I would like to know now the name of this type English ( e.g., US, US PC, US Extended, British, British PC...). I find it interesting that Apple is a collective noun or a verb - having trouble with the verb part myself.

 

Best wishes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iMac shipping times slip as lower-priced models may arrive at WWDC