or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's smart home platform may finally unite legion of isolated devices

Apple's smart home platform may finally unite legion of isolated devices - Page 2

post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You forget ! Samsung makes the home appliances and already has a spectrum of home automation products, devices and APPs on the market. Apple will need to run to catch up .. but you can still pretend they invented it all if it fills a psychological need in you.

That's it!

It's my psychological need to pretend that Apple invented everything that has held me back all these years.

You have released me from my chains with this realization!

I am free!  I am free!

Thank you!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Have you ever heard of market disruption? Apple is a past master at it. Look what happened to BlackBerry, Palm, Motorola Mobility and a host of other comm devices when iPhone burst on the scene. Look at what's happened to PC and notebook sales since the advent of the iPad. How about CD sales and the Sony Discman since iTunes and iPods disrupted their market? Crestron is privately owned, but if they were publicly traded, I would't be rushing out to buy any of their stock right now. Crestron management may well be experiencing one of those "Oh, sh*t!" moments.

I have heard of market disruption - look at Palm and Blackberry.  Look at Fujitsu Tablets.  Look at Tesla.  If, and that is a big IF, Apple makes a move into this market it would be with a strategy to integrate home automation into their iOS and OS X operating systems. They will create an developers kit and maybe partner with some big people in the business to establish and design some type of control hardware but that would be it.  Apple already has the hardware - laptops, iPads and iPhones - they would attempt to lure home automation manufacturers to integrate their control protocols into their new devices.  The difference between Apple moving into this market and the music player/smart phone market is that Crestron continues to innovate in big ways.  They are pushing every year and have strong partnerships with many big names in the business.  They have E-control and Roomview Connected Display standards which allows their hardware to seamlessly control user devices with very little programming.  I can see Crestron partnering up with Apple and iOS but in very limited ways - perhaps some sort of feedback widget and basic controls.  However, Crestron has their own touchscreens and control devices and they would not do anything to jeopardize their hardware sales.

post #43 of 73
Quote:

So its a pretty tiny market by your numbers. Hardly worth talking about. And it's going to change the world ???
+4.5 million sales month in the U.S. is a tiny number by what measure?
Don't know what you mean home sales are going to "change the world"?
post #44 of 73
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
You know AI, all this speculation doesn't help. Why the **** dont we wait to see what they show before publishing another thousand articles of the best case scenario? You're not doing Apple any favors here, because if it doesn't meet every bullet point of all these pie-in-the-sky fantasy posts it will be considered a "disappointment". This article is written with literally zero information. Let's all just shut the **** up and wait. Its only a few more days. 

I totally get what you’re after here, and I share a lot of your concern, but we are a rumor site.

I maintain that we should have a dedicated scale of plausibility for all articles here. One word, start off the title, instantly know the quality of the content.

Confirmed:

Likely:

Possible:

Rumored:

Salt:

DigiTimes:

Not everyone is homeless, like you? People who make some money live in houses. Yeah, they still exist. Where the **** do you live that you havent seen a house? My city is 95% houses. 

Pretty sure he was joking.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I totally get what you’re after here, and I share a lot of your concern, but we are a rumor site.

I maintain that we should have a dedicated scale of plausibility for all articles here. One word, start off the title, instantly know the quality of the content.

Confirmed:

Likely:

Possible:

Rumored:

Salt:

Gene Munster:

DigiTimes:

Just had to add another level...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Speculation based on speculation. These are the hopes and dreams that will be dashed when Apple doesn't announce anything like this at WWDC. You could've just waited until the real announcement is made, and we've got concrete information to talk about. June 2 is just around the corner.

this is a speculation site. people come here specifically to talk about things not-yet-announced. 

post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple is becoming victimized by its own hype machine. It can’t possibly live up to the speculation raging out of control. 

wait -- where is apple hyping this? i dont see anything from apple at all, only speculation from third-parties. that's not apple.

post #48 of 73
Quote:

Meaning if you’re going to force me to buy a $40 lightbulb for every socket of my house, you’re not going to sell any product. “Smart” lightbulbs are one of the stupidest products since the DVD rewinder. 

wait -- who's "forcing" you to buy anything??

an expensive smartbulb is not at all like a dvd rewinder. a dvd rewinder is completely useless and thus offers no value to anyone, but a smartbulb has many uses that many people find quite valuable. this is why people like me buy Hue bulbs and why Philips continues to manufacture and sell them.

you may be complaining about price/value, but thats not really the topic. and price is relevant to disposable income...some consumers dont mind the high cost of enhancing their home's value. YMMV.

post #49 of 73
Quote:

This article is written with literally zero information. Let's all just shut the **** up and wait. Its only a few more days. 

why then do you visit a speculation/rumors site? this site isnt in the business of staying silent until confirmed products are released. no, it's in the very business of speculating on that which does not exist.

how is that not obvious to all?

post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sure there is an angle... Cook, Ive and a few of the other Apple Brothers like to drive Samsung nuts. A leak this close to the big event should have the Samsung hive buzzing. lol

you havent made the case for why that offers value to apple. samsung would be as buzzing after a WWDC announcement than a leak. why leak it?

post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Hi foul mouth. Yes, this is how it works. They want people to be excited. To be bursting at the seams in anticipation. So one week before they drop key hints. Nothing's been given away. Quite to the contrary, more people than ever want to hear what the Apple solution might be. Wisen up. You can't believe the storyline you're being presented. These controlledeaks come from the top. If not, look for a fast disclaimer tomorrow, as Apple won't want people waiting in anticipation for something not coming. If there's no as-good-as-official walking back, it's happening. Again, that's how you play the game.

nope. this is not an event that any more people can buy tickets to, theres no reason to up the excitement one week prior with a controlled leak. this event is already so highly anticipated that it sells out in seconds in years past. so again, no reason to ratchet up the excitement w/ a controlled leak.

and apple doesnt comment on rumors, so of course there wont be any denial tomorrow.

again, you have nothing other than tinfoil hat conspiracy theories....no strong arguments.

post #52 of 73
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

wait -- who's "forcing" you to buy anything??

Not sure how it’s confusing. To have this kind of control right now, you have two options: do it via wiring or do it at the bulb.

Via wiring, it’s a one-time expense for all future control and all potential outlets from said wiring. At the bulb, you have to pay per bulb, per device, every device.

post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekat View Post

Crestron own's the home automation market and they have phenomenal gear. It is a crowded market and apple knows this fact. There is no way they are thinking about this in terms of hardware/software as they do with computers and phones. They will most likely create official partnerships and put their logo on some equipment. This is a mistake and I will live to see Apple realize it.

have you let Tim Cook and the board know this? please do so, quick! otherwise apple will be......DOOOOMED! again! so DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! if only they had the legion of anonymous interweb enthusiasts to prevent them from certain DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM brought about by their inexperienced leaders!

man, you people. never learn.

post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshermanoaks View Post

Those Hue bulbs are $60/apiece right now. The "Internet of Expensive Things" is going to grow very slowly.

pretty cheap barrier to entry in the home-automation market. real cheap. these systems used to cost thousands. 

and as the mass marketing continues they will get even cheaper.

post #55 of 73
Quote:

You forget ! Samsung makes the home appliances and already has a spectrum of home automation products, devices and APPs on the market. Apple will need to run to catch up .. but you can still pretend they invented it all if it fills a psychological need in you.

making products and making products that work well are two completely different things. apple excels at the latter...havent you learned that yet?

post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Keep in mind, this isn't in the country, hundred year old dilapidated homes, or some rinky dink town- they are newer homes in Collin County, one of the wealthiest counties in the country 

age itself doesnt infer poor condtion. my home is 150+ years old, and hardly dilapidated. in fact it's made of incredible building material (old growth heart pine, horse hair plaster, etc) that simply cannot be replaced by the cheap building materials of today. these new popup-houseshave zero chance of lasting 150 years...

post #57 of 73
Quote:

Not sure how it’s confusing. To have this kind of control right now, you have two options: do it via wiring or do it at the bulb.

because you said people are "forcing" you to buy things. to me that means there's a guy in a black ski mask w/ a gun pointed at your head, *forcing* you to buy something. you know, like you complained about. but i dont think there is, is there? or...is there? omg -- do you need us to call 911? comment twice if you need help!

post #58 of 73
Quote:

you havent made the case for why that offers value to apple. samsung would be as buzzing after a WWDC announcement than a leak. why leak it?

You're such a serious person.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #59 of 73
Quote:

Quote:

making products and making products that work well are two completely different things. apple excels at the latter...havent you learned that yet?

I saw an appropriate quote recently. "An assertion made without evidence can be refuted without evidence". If you are trying to claim that an Apple Home Automation Product that doesn't currently exist, is better than something (anything) that is already on the market, then your bias and religious prejudice is overwhelmingly obvious. You are rather wasting my time with nonsense on that level. I for one do NOT subscribe to the view that every product coming from Apple is necessarily a product that "works well" (See MAPS) or necessarily better than anything any competitor could possibly produce. There are enough examples of products from Apple that have failed, to make this kind of blind faith simply absurd. But you are welcome to believe anything you want if it fills a hole in your self-esteem.

post #60 of 73
Quote:

age itself doesnt infer poor condtion. my home is 150+ years old, and hardly dilapidated. in fact it's made of incredible building material (old growth heart pine, horse hair plaster, etc) that simply cannot be replaced by the cheap building materials of today. these new popup-houseshave zero chance of lasting 150 years...

First off- holy crap- use the "Multi-Quote" button.  11 posts in a row within 20 minutes?  Someone sure does think their opinion is important.

To your second "point"- Thats why I said 100 year old dilapidated home.  I didn't merely say 100 year old home.  I used this thing called an "adjective".  Since you clearly don't know what that is, here ya go:

Quote:
ad·jec·tive
ˈajiktiv/
noun
GRAMMAR

1. a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #61 of 73

because you said people are "forcing" you to buy things. to me that means there's a guy in a black ski mask w/ a gun pointed at your head, *forcing* you to buy something. you know, like you complained about. but i dont think there is, is there? or...is there? omg -- do you need us to call 911? comment twice if you need help!

Yeah, okay, do you know what a hypothetical situation is? Do you comprehend that we’re discussing a rumored product category?

Are you nuts?

post #62 of 73
Quote:

I saw an appropriate quote recently. "An assertion made without evidence can be refuted without evidence". If you are trying to claim that an Apple Home Automation Product that doesn't currently exist, is better than something (anything) that is already on the market, then your bias and religious prejudice is overwhelmingly obvious. You are rather wasting my time with nonsense on that level. I for one do NOT subscribe to the view that every product coming from Apple is necessarily a product that "works well" (See MAPS) or necessarily better than anything any competitor could possibly produce. There are enough examples of products from Apple that have failed, to make this kind of blind faith simply absurd. But you are welcome to believe anything you want if it fills a hole in your self-esteem.

Are all your posts so vile and trollish? You just stated how Apple needs to "run to play catchup" to Samsung in this space, and then pulled the "and Apple will claim they invented it" line out of your ass. I don't know a single person who uses their Samsung device to control any of the appliances. Having the bullet point isnt the end goal. If Apple believes it has a better solution, that could be adopted by millions and become mainstream, then why are you pre-emptively so angry and defensive about that? If it fails, it fails. The fact that you're making such vile comments about people about self-esteem, etc is pretty despicable. You're the only one here who has an agenda and irrational hatred towards something that nobody knows anything about yet. You're not forced to buy anything, and you seem strangely butthurt over the possibility of an upcoming product(s). 

post #63 of 73
SONOS is releasing a software solution to it's "bridge" making it unnecessary.
post #64 of 73
Seems like it would be easy to add z-wave and/or zigbee to AppleTV, and instantly have a market in home automation and security systems.
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anome View Post

It's not even Apple's hype machine. It's bored tech pundits, who might have some vague information, but more likely just want this really bad, who get repeated by other bored tech pundits. It's true they're a victim of their success, but only because of the feedback loop of tech punditry

They're not bored; they're talentless. They lack the ability to research effectively, join the dots, then write cohesively.

They don't know anything, so they're throwing crap at the walls and hoping that something sticks.

If this Dre thing turns out to be hot air, then we can expect MONTHS of 'analysis' explaining how Apple let the deal slip through its fingers.

Edited by Rayz - 5/27/14 at 11:16pm
post #66 of 73
Quote:

Crestron own's the home automation market and they have phenomenal gear. It is a crowded market and apple knows this fact. There is no way they are thinking about this in terms of hardware/software as they do with computers and phones. They will most likely create official partnerships and put their logo on some equipment. This is a mistake and I will live to see Apple realize it.

Nokia owns the phone market and they have phenomenal gear. It is a crowded market and apple knows this fact. There is no way they are thinking about this in terms of hardware/software as they do with computers and music players. They will most likely create official partnerships and put their logo on some equipment. This is a mistake and I will live to see Apple realize it.

I think this kind of comment is known as a 'Ballmerism'

post #67 of 73

Skating to where the puck is going, will the home be the centre of things or the individual? We used to have our phones tied to our homes, but now they're in our pocket. Is the future perhaps more along the lines of a personal area network, and devices get an IP address in your PAN when you walk near them, rather than you as a node in a home LAN?

post #68 of 73
Quote:

I have heard of market disruption - look at Palm and Blackberry.  Look at Fujitsu Tablets.  Look at Tesla.  If, and that is a big IF, Apple makes a move into this market it would be with a strategy to integrate home automation into their iOS and OS X operating systems. They will create an developers kit and maybe partner with some big people in the business to establish and design some type of control hardware but that would be it.  Apple already has the hardware - laptops, iPads and iPhones - they would attempt to lure home automation manufacturers to integrate their control protocols into their new devices.  The difference between Apple moving into this market and the music player/smart phone market is that Crestron continues to innovate in big ways.  They are pushing every year and have strong partnerships with many big names in the business.  They have E-control and Roomview Connected Display standards which allows their hardware to seamlessly control user devices with very little programming.  I can see Crestron partnering up with Apple and iOS but in very limited ways - perhaps some sort of feedback widget and basic controls.  However, Crestron has their own touchscreens and control devices and they would not do anything to jeopardize their hardware sales.

Unfortunately, what is more likely to disrupt Crestron's hardware sales is Apple's hardware. Apple defines itself as a hardware company. No doubt that Crestron's controls are advanced and user friendly, but If all of their back-end home management systems (or those of a Crestron competitor) can by operated just as easily with an iDevice ...
Edited by Kibitzer - 5/28/14 at 7:40am

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #69 of 73
What about Kindle home automation? I heard refrigerators hooked up to prime were coming late 2015.
post #70 of 73

(1)  Yayyy!  I am building a new house this summer/fall and had been hoping Apple would enter the smart home business.  Over the last few months, I have been researching what is currently available and nothing has really struck me as compelling or quite ready for prime time.  It seems to me most of what is out there and affordable to the masses is gimmicky, unreliable, and heavily fragmented.  Few companies besides Apple could devise a user-friendly, coherent standard that would be widely and quickly adopted.

(2)  I'm already sick of hearing the term "Internet of Things" ... ugh!  It's "Information Superhighway Part II".  Can we just call it smart home or home automation ... please?

(3)  Smart home technology and implementation is in it's infancy.  To say that any entity "owns" it at this point is ridiculous.  Only the bleeding edge tech heads and the very wealthy have invested anything in it so far.  You know what goes with the "bleeding edge tech head" territory?  Replacing what you initially bought with something much better, less buggy, and probably cheaper a year or two later.  They're used to this, and even if they weren't it wouldn't matter.  Companies like Apple are looking to sell to the masses and the masses haven't bought in to smart home technology yet or for the most part even really know what it is.

Have to go to work for a bit, but I'll be back with my vision on what an Apple Smart Home might look like ... I know you can't wait!

post #71 of 73
Because expensive in-home technology solutions are going to be all the rage with people in the U.S. that can't even get a decent job to afford a home, much less a home that will have these kinds of capabilities built in. Please.

And yes, you need to build it from the wiring upward. Just like Tallest Skil said, "if you're going to force me to buy a $40 light bulb for every socket of my house, you're not going to sell any product." I totally agree with his sentiment on the subject.

Apple will have to show something really special (and affordable) or this idea to work. Otherwise, the U.S. economy will see to it that it crashes and burns before it ever gets off the ground.
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:

Confirmed:

Likely:

Possible:

Rumored:

Salt:

Gene Munster:

DigiTimes:

Ballmer

Just had to add another level...

Now it's complete.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #73 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingeBoy View Post

What about Kindle home automation? I heard refrigerators hooked up to prime were coming late 2015.

I don't see how burning your fridge with Kindling is going to automate anything other than razing your home to the ground.

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's smart home platform may finally unite legion of isolated devices