or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Foxconn to build 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' Wistron to assemble Apple's legacy 4" model

Rumor: Foxconn to build 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' Wistron to assemble Apple's legacy 4" model

post #1 of 81
Apple is rumored to be finalizing its supply chain plans for this year's anticipated iPhone update, with longtime partner Foxconn unsurprisingly expected to receive the bulk of orders for the new, larger "iPhone 6."

"iPhone 6" mockup via Ciccarese Design.

Foxconn is expected to build both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch varieties of the next iPhone, according to Taiwanese tech industry publication DigiTimes. Assembler Pegatron is also expected to pitch in, but will account for only 30 percent of the 4.7-inch model, and none of the 5.5-inch version, the report said, citing unnamed industry sources.

The report also claimed that Apple's current 4-inch iPhone size will live on, but referred to it as an "existing" model, suggesting it may just utilize legacy hardware rather than sporting upgraded internal components. It was said that Wistron will handle orders for the 4-inch iPhone heading into 2015.

Regardless, the 4-inch model is still apparently expected by supply chain sources to be a major part of Apple's smartphone lineup moving forward. Tuesday's report said that both the 4- and 4.7-inch models will be the "main sales force for Apple in 2014," suggesting that the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch model is expected to target a smaller segment of the market.

Finally, it was said that Foxconn's plants in Zhengzhou, China, are expected to begin supplying the 4.7-inch model in July, while manufacturing of the 5.5-inch variant may begin in August.

Rumors of late have been generally consistent about those two new screen sizes being in the works for Apple's 2014 iPhone update. Both handsets are expected to use Apple's next-generation "A8" system-on-chip with a gigabyte of RAM.

Aside from larger screens and faster processors, the new iPhones are also expected to feature a thinner design, making them about as thick as Apple's current iPod touch lineup. And it's also been claimed that the lock/wake button on the device will be moved to the upper right side of the handset, potentially making it more easily accessible for one-handed use.
post #2 of 81
Wait, it's June and Apple is only now finalizing is manufacturing plans for the new iPhone? No way. Also I think this 5.5" model is bogus too.
post #3 of 81
If they start production in August, chances are they will be released at the same time. IMO
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
post #4 of 81
i really don't like those mockups. they just look odd.
post #5 of 81
The more I hear about a 5.5", the more I want one.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #6 of 81
Whatever they do I hope they keep the 4".
post #7 of 81
I sure hope they keep an updated 4" iPhone in their lineup, not just for the next product cycle but permanently. Don't really want anything bigger.
post #8 of 81

Apple won't do away with their 4" iPhones.  They wouldn't make the mistakes that Shamesung and others made by making only HUGE phablets and then backpedaled by making "mini" versions of their phablets.  I'm sure Apple can learn a lot from others' mistakes.

post #9 of 81
The 4.7 works for me. Looks like a natural progression from the 4S to the 5—which did not bug me at all. Not sure about the iPhablet tho.
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Whatever they do I hope they keep the 4".

They will as the new 6c. It will contain the internal parts of the 5s in a plastic shell. But as far as a new 4" iPhone containing all the latest and greatest tech like the A8...those days are gone. 

post #11 of 81

Only a gigabyte of RAM seems odd to me, particularly given the move to 64-bit.

post #12 of 81

When they moved to a 4" display for the iPhone 5, I don't remember there being AS MUCH complaining that there wasn't also a newly updated 3.5" model.

Clearly, following that precedent, Apple is not going to update the 4" model will new specs. There will be some incarnation of it, maybe two. But certainly not a "new" one.

post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Seems to do just fine in the current 64 bit iOS devices

post #14 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

That will likely jump to 2 or even more gigabytes with the iPhone 6. I think their main concern with 1GB on the 5s was battery life. More ram can drain batteries faster. A larger battery in the iPhone 6 and a possibly more power efficient CPU and cellular radios should allow enough extra savings to increase the RAM. 

post #15 of 81
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
They will as the new 6c. It will contain the internal parts of the 5s in a plastic shell.

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5S 6
Low-end 4S 5C 5S
post #16 of 81

It's amazing how shitty a website macrumors is, always reporting the headline of rumors like this as an unbridled FACT- absolutely no journalistic integrity. No "reportedly", "rumored", etc in the headline- just a statement that Apple is doing X, which they rush to throw up at the blip of a rumor. 

post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i really don't like those mockups. they just look odd.

They are brain-dead pseudo-designs - while Apple could easily innovate ways to minimize inadvertent touches, the bottom line is a touch device will require reliable grab areas and unemcumbered screen visibility.
post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You remain completely insane.

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5S 6
Low-end 4S 5C 5S

He's "completely insane" because he has a different prediction than you, which is just as plausible (if not more so) than yours? Don't reply with your train of thought, because I don't care. The point is you've been wrong in the past numerous times about these issues after mocking others, so just learn some humility and stop being so confident on such matters like product line/naming/etc. 

post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Apple won't do away with their 4" iPhones.

I disagree.  I hope they don't, but I don't see why they'd keep it.  Say they release a 4.7 and 5.5.  Or even just a 4.7".  I've said it again and again- what alternative do you have?  If you hate a big screen, what are you going to do, go to Android?  Their top tier phones are all 4.7"+.  Are you going to go to Windows?  Their top tier phone is 4.6".  So you're S.O.L.

The only argument is that another phone manufacturer will make a smaller premier to try to grab that market.

So again- I hope they don't.  But will they?  Time will tell- and I don't see the motivation.  I'm sure they've had these discussions ad naseum themselves.

post #20 of 81
Quote:

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5S 6
Low-end 4S 5C 5S

I think that's pretty accurate.  The only difference we might see is:

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5CS 6C
Low-end 4S 5C 5CS

The 6C we'll see for sure I'd think in 2015- but the 5S or 5CS- I'm unsure which.  One thing I would hope everyone could agree on is that there will be no 6C this year- unless they throw us a giant curveball (highly unlikely)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He's "completely insane" because he has a different prediction than you, which is just as plausible (if not more so) than yours?

I think saying there will be a 6C this year is irrational.

post #21 of 81
Quote:

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5S 6
Low-end 4S 5C 5S

Apple luckily is not insane and will not continue trying to sell the 5C "as is" in the 2014-15 product cycle given that it was not a great seller this past year. All iOS devices this year will have touch ID. Why would they spend all the time and money trying to add Touch ID the the 5c when it already exists in the 5s? They also will likely give the 6c new darker colors and get away from the crayola palette. The C model is meant to be sold as a current year phone even though it reuses last years parts. 

High End iPhone 6 Pro or Air or whatever they call it with a 5.5" screen

Midrange iPhone 6 with 4.7"

Low-end iPhone 6c with 4" that is the 5s reborn

Deal with it especially since all the latest rumors support what I have been saying for months and none support your theory. 

post #22 of 81
Quote:

The C model is meant to be sold as a current year phone even though it reuses last years parts. 

That's simply incorrect- It isn't viewed as a current year phone with last year's parts- it is viewed as last year's phone with a new body.

post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That's simply incorrect- It isn't viewed as a "current year" phone with last year's parts- it is viewed as last year's phone with a new body.

You misunderstand. That is precisely what I am saying. It is like a casserole using leftovers in the fridge. It is a new phone but using old parts. Tech people understand it is just a new body on old parts but many consumers who are not very savvy might not be aware it is reusing the internal parts from year before. If there is no new 4" with an A8 CPU this year we can safely say Apple will be killing off the 4" models shortly as they try and standardize on larger resolutions. 

post #24 of 81
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He's "completely insane" because he has a different prediction than you, which is just as plausible (if not more so) than yours?

Yeah, try reading the post before replying.

Don't reply with your train of thought, because I don't care.

So why would anyone ever listen to what you have to say? Why should we care?

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5CS 6C
Low-end 4S 5C 5CS

It’d be 5SC. Entire product name comes before the suffix. I just figure they’re going to move away from the C idea.

will not continue trying to sell the 5C  s is in the 2014-15 product cycle

I think it goes without saying that I won’t be saying anything to you about this if this turns out to be wrong. Only because I’m a better person than you are. Not because you wouldn’t deserve to be vitriolically mocked for it.

The C model is meant to be sold as a current year phone even though it reuses last years parts. 

THEREFORE IT WOULD BE THE 5SC, AS IT’S LAST YEAR’S PHONE PARTS.

all the latest rumors support what I have been saying for months and none support your theory. 

Not a single rumor, ever, has ever supported anything even remotely close to calling last year’s phone by this year’s name.

That is precisely what I am saying.

It’s the exact opposite of what you’re saying.

post #25 of 81

The 5c will be killed. Point blank. Apple has nothing to gain by keeping that product which was not a good seller and lacks TouchID in the lineup. How do you reconcile the fact that it lacks Touch ID when all rumors and indeed common sense tells us Apple wants to go big with Touch ID this year especially with the new promo app codes and possibly stronger forays into mobile payment. There will be no 5c when new products are announced. Perhaps the entire C line concept itself will not be renewed and the 5s would be the low end phone. That idea at least has legs since that would simply be going back to what they did in the past. 

post #26 of 81
Apple has nothing to gain by keeping that product which was not a good seller

False premise.

…it lacks Touch ID when all rumors… …tells us Apple wants to go big with Touch ID this year…

I don’t see how “All new devices will have TouchID” can’t be reconciled with the 5C, not being a new device, not having TouchID.

I don’t not buy what you’re saying. It’s just not fact.

Perhaps the entire C line concept itself will not be renewed and the 5s would be the low end phone.

Let’s hope.

post #27 of 81
Quote:

Why does premium-ness correspond to screen size?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why does premium-ness correspond to screen size?

Not the point I was trying to make. One, "premium" has nothing to do with display size. the 5s is a premium phone by all rights and measures. Premium Apple phones are the ones that contain the latest and greatest new tech which will be the A8 this year and are also priced the highest.  If a new 4" includes the A8 it will be an equal and premium model to the larger siblings. If it lacks the A8 and uses an A7 it will not be premium as in their "high end" phone and will be priced lower. I do not see Apple releasing the A8 on 3 models. We will likely see the A8 in a 4" and 4.7" or we will see it in a 4.7" and 5.5". I haven't read even one single rumor about a leak for a new 4" iPhone 6. Have you? I would think Apple security would be as tight if not tighter on a 4.7" but we have dozens of leaks on that version. Why no leaks on a new 4" iPhone 6 by now? 

post #29 of 81
What is going on with all these iPhablet rumors. Come on people, the 4.7" model sounds like a lock. Step back and think people, this is Apple we are talking about. Have you ever seen a Note 2/3, or Mega user hold these up to their heads? They look absurd! Plain and simple Apple is not going to release a product that look ridiculous in use, especially given that this size is totally unusable with a single hand (unlike a 4.7"er that is one-hand usable for those of us with larger hands).
Thanks a lot and good night!
post #30 of 81
Quote:

False premise.

I don’t see how “All new devices will have TouchID” can’t be reconciled with the 5C, not being a new device, not having TouchID.

I don’t not buy what you’re saying. It’s just not fact.

Let’s hope.

Let's see what Tim Cook thinks.

"Demand percentage for the iPhone 5c "turned out to be different than we thought," Cook said during his company's quarterly earnings conference call. Total iPhone sales for the quarter were 51 million, which was a new record but below market expectations of around 55 million.

Cook declined to say what Apple is planning to do in the future with its mid-range, plastic-backed iPhone. However, the CEO did not rule out the possibility of making a change to its lineup down the road.

When asked why the iPhone 5c represented a smaller mix of total handset sales than Apple expected, Cook said he believes customers were simply drawn to the flagship iPhone 5s.

"I think the 5s, people are really intrigued with Touch ID," Cook said. "It's a major feature that has excited people. And I think that associated with the other things that are unique to the 5s, got the 5s to have a significant amount more attention and a higher mix of sales."

Yeah, it sounds like he will bring back the 5c again for sure. :no:

post #31 of 81

Well thats rubbish. What if you want a normal sized phone with the latest tech, in metal not Plastic?  Apple has banged on about the perfect 4 inch size, so they should continue having a 4 inch model at the high end. 4.7 inches is too big. Yuck. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

post #32 of 81
Am I the only one that thinks the 5.5 is bogus. I think they'll have two sizes moving foreword%u2026 the current 4in on the iPhone 5s and 5c AND the new 4.7in iPhone 6. I think having three sizes would be a major departure from the way Apple does things. Think of their laptop offerings%u2026 only two sizes (2 pros, 2 airs).
post #33 of 81

"Demand percentage for the iPhone 5c "turned out to be different than we thought," Cook said during his company's quarterly earnings conference call. Total iPhone sales for the quarter were 51 million, which was a new record but below market expectations of around 55 million.

Yep. Different. Strongly suggesting it was lower than they figured, but WE HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD THAT. We do know, however, that it did better than the 4S in the same slot. It’s hardly “not a good seller”.

"I think the 5s, people are really intrigued with Touch ID," Cook said. "It's a major feature that has excited people. And I think that associated with the other things that are unique to the 5s, got the 5s to have a significant amount more attention and a higher mix of sales."

Yeah, it sounds like he will bring back the 5c again for sure. :no:

Nothing you’ve written is supporting evidence for your claim. Apple has always operated off the principle of selling up to the new model by showing the differences of the old.

post #34 of 81
Quote:

Holy hyperbole Batman!

I don't much think that there'll be a 6C this year either, it doesn't quite fit with precedent; but stranger things have happened, and Apple's product naming conventions haven't been the most consistent in recent times.

Frankly, who gives a flying fudge what the damn things are called?  Just gimme!

censored

censored

post #35 of 81
Quote:

2013 2014 2015
High-end 5S 6 6S
Midrange 5C 5CS 6C
Low-end 4S 5C 5CS

The 6C we'll see for sure I'd think in 2015- but the 5S or 5CS- I'm unsure which.  One thing I would hope everyone could agree on is that there will be no 6C this year- unless they throw us a giant curveball (highly unlikely)

I think saying there will be a 6C this year is irrational.
I Think you are right about the 5s becoming the 5sc.

It is time to have a funeral for the 5s so that the grieving can begin. Then one will be able to move on to the 4.7 inch phone
post #36 of 81

Here here! iPhablet is dumbest persistent rumor.

post #37 of 81
Quote:

Not the point I was trying to make. One, "premium" has nothing to do with display size.

But you did make that point. Why, in your earlier post, did you called the 4.7" a "mid-range" product, and the 5.5" a "high-end" one? On what is that based? Does the 5.5 have a higher resolution? More memory? Faster CPU? Or is it just a "stretched" frame 4.7" iPhone 6 to keep up with the Samsungses?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 81
Based simply on prices and also just used same terms MR. 5cs used to avoid confusion
post #39 of 81

What I think may happen:

Model Type \ Year 2013 2014 2015 2016
High-end 5s 6s 7s 8s
Mid-range 5c 6c 7c 8c
Low-end 4S 4S 5c 6c

2015 would be the year Apple retires the 3.5" form factor, and 2016 the year Apple goes full Touch ID.

I expect the 's' series to have a 4.3"-4.7" screens, while the 'c' series stick with 4" screens.

Of course, my predictions could be total bullshit, too.

Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X are okay too I guess.
Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X are okay too I guess.
post #40 of 81
Quote:

Deal with it especially since all the latest rumors support what I have been saying for months and none support your theory. 

You're very wrong here.  They aren't going to take the 5s- keep it the same size, internals, and everything- add a plastic caseand change the name to a 6c- TS is right- you're completely insane.  Moreover- what do you do next year?  Call the "midrange" and "high end" 6 the 6C again?  Or does it get to be called the "6CC"?  See the lunacy in your thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The 5c will be killed. Point blank. Apple has nothing to gain by keeping that product which was not a good seller and lacks TouchID in the lineup.

Why would Apple all of a sudden tthis year change what theyve done every year since the 4?  They've never dropped a 2 year old model from their lineup- that becomes the "free" $450 phone- that'll be the 5C.  The 5S will either stay in it's current form or become the 5SC and will have a plastic shell.  You think Apple didn't want everyone to buy a retina iPhone 4 or 4S?  Yet they kept the 3GS around with it's rageddy ole' sd display.  You think Apple didn't want everyone to get a 4" phone?  Yet they kept that ole' rageddy 4 and 4S around with their sad 3.5" displays.  You think Apple didn't want everyone on 64 bit?  etc etc etc

But Touch ID- now that's the game changer that will change everything they've ever done.  Not screen size, not retina, not 64 bit- but touch ID.

Even though I think you're wrong- dead wrong, in fact- if I agree with you, will you not post about the name until release day?  I don't know if I can stand reading an iPhone thread with you littering every single one of them up about the name.

Edited by Andysol - 5/27/14 at 1:28pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Foxconn to build 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' Wistron to assemble Apple's legacy 4" model
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Foxconn to build 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' Wistron to assemble Apple's legacy 4" model