or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to live stream 'exciting announcements' from June 2 WWDC 2014 keynote

Apple to live stream 'exciting announcements' from June 2 WWDC 2014 keynote

post #1 of 66
When Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference kicks off next Monday, June 2, users from around the world will be able to see what the company announces thanks to a live streaming video of the keynote presentation.

Apple updated its website on Tuesday to reveal that the "exciting announcements" made at WWDC 2014 will be available to watch live, as they happen. Streaming requires Safari 4 or later on OS X 10.6 or later, Safari on iOS 4.2 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming will also be available via the Apple TV to users with the second- or third-generation model running software 5.0.2 or later.

The event will begin live at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern next Monday. Apple is widely expected to introduce the next-generation versions of its iOS mobile operating system and OS X Mac operating system.

Apple's next major release of iOS 8 is rumored to focus on consolidating health and fitness tracking devices as well as smart home appliances, making them easier to control and use with a compatible iPhone or iPad. And the company is also rumored to be planning a visual refresh for its next major OS X release.

Apple announced that WWDC 2014 would kick off on June 2 in early April. The sold-out conference will be held at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif.

Events scheduled for WWDC 2014 include:

• More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
  • more than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
  • the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design;
  • the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world--last year more than 60 countries were represented;
  • a new series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities;
  • engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.
post #2 of 66

Yay! Almost can't wait... except that on my deadline I hope to get quite a bit completed before next Monday, so the time can drag, that's okay by me (sigh). 

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #3 of 66

Can't wait :), i hope they release iOS 8 for iPhone 4S too

post #4 of 66
More than 100 technical sessions presented by Dr Dre !
post #5 of 66

Is this normal?

I don't remember the wwdc being on the live stream before

post #6 of 66
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
i hope they release iOS 8 for iPhone 4S too

Who wants to break the bad news to him?

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
Is this normal?

I don't remember the wwdc being on the live stream before

Happened at least twice. Used to happen a lot.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #7 of 66

Calendar blocked off for the real-time viewing. :)

post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Can't wait :), i hope they release iOS 8 for iPhone 4S too

Too greedy!

post #9 of 66

They obviously have something "exciting" to show, otherwise they wouldn't be live streaming it and promoting their "exciting announcements".

I for one will definitely be tuning in.:smokey:

And to those who think that Apple doesn't live stream events, I remember them live streaming events more than a decade ago. Of course at that time, the quality wasn't exactly 1080.:lol:

post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who wants to break the bad news to him?

I don't see why the 4S won't get iOS 8. The 4 got iOS 7, and the 4S is a significant upgrade in terms of processor power from the 4.

By this fall when the new iPhones and iPads come out, Apple probably won't be selling anymore 32bit devices (except for some 5C's or equivalent in emerging markets). The year-old models will be A7 equipped devices and the new stuff will be A8. Even then, Apple can't really make iOS 8 64bit exclusive because of all the 4S, 5 and 5C phones out there.

I think iOS 9 is when Apple will go 64bit exclusive (even the 5 or 5C won't get it) and iOS 8 will be the last version available to "almost everyone".

That said, there are really 3 things Apple haters can't stand: WWDC and the announcements for the iPhone and iPad. Like a single person sitting at home on Valentine's Day, all they can do is sulk and whine. The real kicker is it's 3 times a year instead of only once.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They obviously have something "exciting" to show, otherwise they wouldn't be live streaming it and promoting their "exciting announcements".

I for one will definitely be tuning in.1smoking.gif

And to those who think that Apple doesn't live stream events, I remember them live streaming events more than a decade ago. Of course at that time, the quality wasn't exactly 1080.lol.gif
Apple streamed it last year. I remember watching it on my Apple TV. 1smoking.gif
post #12 of 66
Does anyone know how to add this WWDC event into OSX Calendar, is it possible to click on this Headline and it adds it to Calendar?
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple streamed it last year. I remember watching it on my Apple TV. 1smoking.gif

That's what I'll be using too to stream this event.:smokey:

At least this event has zero chance of being ruined by any spoilers or people live blogging from the event.

It's so much better to just watch the damn thing live.:)

post #14 of 66
About time - seems ages since we last got a live stream!

I'm off work next week as well so I'll actually be able to watch it.
post #15 of 66
"I don't see why the 4S won't get iOS 8. The 4 got iOS 7, and the 4S is a significant upgrade in terms of processor power from the 4."

Plus, the 4S is still an actively sold product.
post #16 of 66
Quote:

That's what I'll be using too to stream this event.1smoking.gif

At least this event has zero chance of being ruined by any spoilers or people live blogging from the event.

It's so much better to just watch the damn thing live.1smile.gif
I only visit the live blogs to see who's hanging out in the first row. 1biggrin.gif
post #17 of 66
Quote:

I only visit the live blogs to see who's hanging out in the first row. 1biggrin.gif

Yeah, I imagine that all of my favorite people will be sitting on the front row.

Al Gore will be there with a grin on his face sitting next to Dr. Dre, and Wozniak will also be there, probably using a huge Android phone.:lol: 

Instead of getting pissed off at who's in the audience, I will focus my attention to what's happening on stage instead. That is probably much more exciting.:lol:

post #18 of 66
Quote:

Yeah, I imagine that all of my favorite people will be sitting on the front row.

Al Gore will be there with a grin on his face sitting next to Dr. Dre, and Wozniak will also be there, probably using a huge Android phone.:lol: 

It must be comforting for you to know that one of Apple's biggest fans is..... http://bit.ly/Scom9P

;) 

post #19 of 66
Oh whoopidy do... an update to a phone operating system. BIG frickin' deal!!
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It must be comforting for you to know that one of Apple's biggest fans is..... http://bit.ly/Scom9P

;) 

I did know that of course, and I like that fact, though I don't listen to or tune in to any talk shows.

Apple is liked by many people, regardless of their particular persuasion.:)

post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanVerb View Post

Hey Debbie Downer, I bet that you don't get invited to a lot of parties!

post #22 of 66
A live stream means on-stage demos will be light. Demo-heavy events are always delayed in case of a crash that can be edited out before the delayed stream goes live.

This means we won't see something like the 2007 WWDC keynote (a delayed event that was very demo heavy), but instead something like the first iPad mini keynote (a live event where only the iPad's homescreen was shown live, and everything else was slides).
post #23 of 66
I'm hoping for thinner fonts in iOS 8. They're still legible in iOS 7 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 66
Quote:

Hey Debbie Downer, I bet that you don't get invited to a lot of parties!

No, you're right actually.

I used to cream my pants over these keynotes like any other fanboy on here but they just don't live up to all the HYPE any more. So it's difficult for me to get too excited by another software update I'm afraid!!

Let's hope I'm wrong though!

post #25 of 66

they just dont live up to all the HYPE any more.

You don’t seem to comprehend what’s going on here.

post #26 of 66
Some really great awesome amazing products.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #27 of 66
Quote:

I used to cream my pants over these keynotes like any other fanboy on here but they just don't live up to all the HYPE any more. So it's difficult for me to get too excited by another software update I'm afraid!!

I know what you mean. There are so many bogus rumors floating around, that it's easy to get caught up in hype.

But, WWDC is not just about software updates or a software announcement. I'm hoping for much more. New hardware also gets announced at WWDC sometimes.

We shall see.

post #28 of 66

Wow!  A live-stream worthy event.  That means there's some big stuff to reveal...or at least they want us to believe there's some big stuff.

post #29 of 66

Anyone have any guess what the poster graphic may be hinting at? Usually there is some meaning behind the design.

I'm gonna guess some new pointing device because the finger like protrusion pointing toward the wave design below it, almost like how you interact with touch pad, or mouse button. Another mousing device seems unlikely, they wouldn't to make a big deal out of that unless the finger is pointing at a brand new device like a watch or touchscreen iMac. Although touch screens have been said to be non-ergonomic, causing 'gorilla arm', and Apple has said it doesn't want to use touch screens in iMacs or MacBooks. On the other hand it can be sound waves with a finger interacting with them- indicating some new music software or service. I know the poster has some indication why will be announced, I'm just grasping at straws. any ideas?

Edited by appleempl - 5/27/14 at 12:00pm
post #30 of 66
Quote:

Al Gore will be there with a grin on his face sitting next to Dr. Dre, and Wozniak will also be there, probably using a huge Android phone.lol.gif  

Instead of getting pissed off at who's in the audience, I will focus my attention to what's happening on stage instead. That is probably much more exciting.lol.gif
Last year Marissa Mayer was there, sitting right behind the Apple executives.
post #31 of 66
Since this event was live streamed in 2012 and 2013 I don't think we should read anything into it. This is one event that Apple seems to reliably stream.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

any ideas?

I'm going to take a wild guess.

The poster graphic looks like a finger pressing a pressure sensitive touch screen! Or at least that's what it looks like to me.:lol:

post #33 of 66
Quote:

You have to learn to manage your expectations. Or stop reading all the rumors. It is kinda frustrating when the hype is so overblown and people like you get all upset because the real event didn't live up to the hype. Realistically, what do you expect? The only way you'll have 'your mind blown' by some amazing new product or service is if you drop some acid before the announcement. That should work nicely. 

post #34 of 66
Quote:

Last year Marissa Mayer was there, sitting right behind the Apple executives.

My father bought some YHOO some months ago, and I told him not to, but that didn't help.

He's still in the red with that stock.

My father is a terrible investor. He makes most decisions based 100% on emotions.

post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You have to learn to manage your expectations. Or stop reading all the rumors. It is kinda frustrating when the hype is so overblown and people like you get all upset because the real event didn't live up to the hype. Realistically, what do you expect? The only way you'll have 'your mind blown' by some amazing new product or service is if you drop some acid before the announcement. That should work nicely. 

Ha ha, that's funny!

News of an updated Apple TV with App Store would be quite exciting.

post #36 of 66

I think that the next 6 to 12 months -- after what seems like a long drought -- could be one of the most exciting periods in Apple's history. Can't wait.

Whatever it is driving those animal spirits*, I am also loving the fact that, since the last earnings announcement, AAPL is up from $525 to $625.

*I know, I know....

post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am also loving the fact that, since the last earnings announcement, AAPL is up from $525 to $625.

Yes... that is interesting, isn't it?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 66
Quote:

Since this event was live streamed in 2012 and 2013 I don't think we should read anything into it. This is one event that Apple seems to reliably stream.

We have a winner.  This is only "news" in that if they had announced they weren't live streaming it would be news.

post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

Anyone have any guess what the poster graphic may be hinting at? Usually there is some meaning behind the design.
I'm gonna guess some new pointing device because the finger like protrusion pointing toward the wave design below it....

That's the top of the apple and the leaf. I think it is signaling true resolution independence.
Edited by JONOROM - 5/27/14 at 12:51pm

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #40 of 66
Quote:

Ha ha, that's funny!

News of an updated Apple TV with App Store would be quite exciting.

It would be. I think a new arm powered MBA kinda device will be an amazing announcement, as will whatever wearable that might be released. But I am beginning to tune out and wait for the event. Its definitely nicer to be wowed than disappointed that something I had hoped for didn't happen. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to live stream 'exciting announcements' from June 2 WWDC 2014 keynote