or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Shares of Apple hit new 52-week high days before 7-for-1 stock split

Shares of Apple hit new 52-week high days before 7-for-1 stock split

post #1 of 47
With less than a week to go not only before Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, but also a forthcoming 7-for-1 stock split, investors pushed shares of the iPhone maker to a new 52-week high on Tuesday.

The New York Stock Exchange, credit Carlos Delgado via Wikipedia.

Shares of Apple closed the day at $625.71, up $11.58 from their previous close of $614.13. That marked the highest closing price for AAPL stock in the last year.

Apple is still a long way off from its all-time high of just north of $700, reached in September of 2012. Following that, shares of Apple tumbled throughout late 2012 and early 2013.

The iPhone maker has mounted a major comeback in recent weeks, hot off the success of a strong second fiscal quarter of 2014, and riding high on investor anticipation for new products. Apple broke the $600 threshold earlier this month.

Apple's 52-week high also comes less than a week before shares of Apple are set to undergo a 7-for-1 split next Monday. Existing shareholders who buy in before the deadline will be awarded six additional shares of AAPL stock, and split-adjusted trading will begin on June 9.

June 2 is also a major day for Apple among non-investors, as the company is set to hold a keynote presentation that will kick off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. The Monday morning keynote is expected to include the introduction of the next generations of Apple's iOS mobile operating system and OS X Mac platform.
post #2 of 47

I'm not sure why people are buying it right before the split, it's not like they'll be getting a great deal. I'm guessing it'll drop shortly after the split.

bb
bb
post #3 of 47
Or, go up, as small investors jump into the stock.
post #4 of 47
Keep in mind that the entire market is up and AAPL partially benefits from this rise.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2014/05/27/stocks-tuesday/9620781/

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 47
I bought some at $592 a few weeks ago, so I'm up $32/share already. I wanted to buy into Apple (tiny as it was) after they announced the coming split and before it went over $600. It hit $600 once, then retreated to $592 just when I bought the shares. I think the price might approach $700 right before the split (or $100 shortly after the split).
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm not sure why people are buying it right before the split, it's not like they'll be getting a great deal. I'm guessing it'll drop shortly after the split.

I'm sure many are buying before the WWDC announcements more than anything.

post #7 of 47

Where are all the whiners that were calling for Tim Cook's head a year ago?

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Waiting for WWDC so they'll "have new ammunition". /s

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #9 of 47
The split date and record date are not well understood by journalists. It doesn't matter whether you buy Apple shares after June 2nd. All shares bought between June 2nd and June 9th will get 7 shares for every share owned. June second is not a deadline of any kind.
post #10 of 47
Quote:

They never leave. They sow FUD full-time. They're FUD farmers.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 5/27/14 at 1:58pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 47
Why are they called shares when we have to pay money to get them?

1wink.gif
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #12 of 47

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 47
I think what we are going to witness is a transformation of Apple from a tech company into a lifestyle company. The connection of the stock split with WWDC with major acquisitions and hires are no coincidence. This means something big is coming that will transform Apple into another thing entirely.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I think what we are going to witness is a transformation of Apple from a tech company into a lifestyle company. The connection of the stock split with WWDC with major acquisitions and hires are no coincidence. This means something big is coming that will transform Apple into another thing entirely.

Apple has been an aspirational brand for decades. This is really nothing new.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

1wink.gif
Be cause weren't not communists. You own a share of the company. Corporations exist to increase shareholder wealth. You own a piece of that money. If the value of the money goes up, you make money. Pretty simple.

We could share a car, or an apartment and you'd pay half...
post #16 of 47
Quote:

1wink.gif

Very funny. :lol:

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple has been an aspirational brand for decades. This is really nothing new.

I agree with jkichline.

Here's an interesting article about Apple, the soon-to-be-first supercompany:

http://www.torusoft.com/blog/how-to-recognize-a-super-company
post #18 of 47
Quote:

You mean Constable Odo? He made around 1000x posts calling for Cook's head and his resignation- based entirely on the stock price- spamming every fucking thread with his rants - and kept insisting if Cook did not go the stock would keep dropping to below $200. Has he now apologized, or stated that he was wrong? Of course, not. When I turn out to be wrong online I own up to it. But the vast majority, like Constable Odo do not, even if the thing they repeated with confidence a million times, mocking others in the process, turned out to be insanely wrong.  Cook showed himself to be a true leader by not even blinking at the stock fluctuations- he didnt give in to the pressure to announce some bullshit based on the shrieking by investors and analysts. He stayed quiet because of the confidence he has in Apple and what they're working on. 

Whats wrong with saying "I'm sorry, I was wrong" after derailing so many threads with what turned out to be utter garbage?

post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

According to what I’ve read it’s the opposite. Large fund (pension, hedge) ownership is down, waiting to see what products are in the pipeline before jumping back in. I don’t know if we’ll see the traditional drop after announcements we usually do.

post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

The split date and record date are not well understood by journalists. It doesn't matter whether you buy Apple shares after June 2nd. All shares bought between June 2nd and June 9th will get 7 shares for every share owned. June second is not a deadline of any kind.
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You mean Constable Odo? He made around 1000x posts calling for Cook's head and his resignation- based entirely on the stock price- spamming every fucking thread with his rants - and kept insisting if Cook did not go the stock would keep dropping to below $200. Has he now apologized, or stated that he was wrong? Of course, not. When I turn out to be wrong online I own up to it. But the vast majority, like Constable Odo do not, even if the thing they repeated with confidence a million times, mocking others in the process, turned out to be insanely wrong.  Cook showed himself to be a true leader by not even blinking at the stock fluctuations- he didnt give in to the pressure to announce some bullshit based on the shrieking by investors and analysts. He stayed quiet because of the confidence he has in Apple and what theyre working on. 

Whats wrong with saying "I'm sorry, I was wrong" after derailing so many threads with what turned out to be utter garbage?

Personally, I am fairly sure that Constable Odo is somewhere in a dark, dank room curled up into the fetal position, repeating "It can't be!  It can't be!  It can't be!" over and over and over again.  While weeping, of course.

post #22 of 47
Quote:

Telling us how Cook is a genius for buying Beats. 1biggrin.gif
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I allows smaller investors to make larger investments.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Personally, I am fairly sure that Constable Odo is somewhere in a dark, dank room curled up into the fetal position, repeating "It can't be!  It can't be!  It can't be!" over and over and over again.  While weeping, of course.
Nah he's all happy now because Apple is DOING SOMETHING (i.e. spending $3B on Beats).
post #25 of 47
Quote:

I agree with jkichline.

Here's an interesting article about Apple, the soon-to-be-first supercompany:

http://www.torusoft.com/blog/how-to-recognize-a-super-company

Wow!  That was a great article!

post #26 of 47
Not only will the split price make it more attractive for the masses, my understanding is even a number of institutional investors have certain per share cost ceilings they are averse to cross...so I think apple will become more of a play for institutional as well as individual investors.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nah he's all happy now because Apple is DOING SOMETHING (i.e. spending $3B on Beats).

Except he's mad because he lost everything he owned and then some from his leveraged long position in the fall/winter 2012-2013. The stock price going up isn't helping him because I'm sure he got margin calls and his position was sold off to pay the debt, but leaving a lot of leveraged debt remaining. I was dumb enough to try it too and have lost thousands in interest and selling some below purchase price to reduce the principle owed. Tomorrow I imagine it will pass the price I bought on leverage at. It's been an awful lesson to learn (that leverage is a huge generally stupid gamble), but thankfully patience has kept the loss from being catastrophic, as it would have been selling at $384 a share when some predicted it would continue to go down. Even in those dark days I still believed in Cook and Apple.
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Or go up higher if Apple gets added to the Dow.  I'm not getting greedy.  I'd like to see Apple hold this level for at least a couple of weeks and continue yearly dividend increases.  Apple isn't Priceline, Tesla or Netflix so I don't expect huge gains like they get.  However, if Apple clears the $650 mark by the end of the year, I'll definitely be satisfied.  I trust Apple will do what it needs to but I don't trust the stock market at all.  There are too many profitless companies being pumped up in value and no one says a damn thing about those companies being overvalued or being ready to collapse.  It's only Apple that attracts the skeptics on its supposed imminent path of doom.

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Or go up higher if Apple gets added to the Dow.

How that positively affects the stock value? Perception that the investment is more stable?
Quote:
I trust Apple will do what it needs to but I don't trust the stock market at all.  There are too many profitless companies being pumped up in value and no one says a damn thing about those companies being overvalued or being ready to collapse.  It's only Apple that attracts the skeptics on its supposed imminent path of doom.

I'm glad to see this Odo back with us. We missed you.

post #30 of 47

Being Screaming since 430 that this stock will see new highs :p;)

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

was wondering exactly that. I don't get the june 2nd date at all.

post #32 of 47
Heh - I still have some in an IRA at $24. Downside is that I don't have more 1frown.gif

As far as price goes - in most cases the "real price" rises after a split. So AAPL might be $624 today but could be close to $100 after the 7/1 split. Doesn't always happen but I suspect it will with Apple because there will be more in the market at the lower split price. High price-per-share does keep people out of the market and that is often deliberate. Berkshire Hathaway is an excellent example.
post #33 of 47
Beats deal just downgraded to $3Billion. But looks like a done deal. God help Apple now.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
post #34 of 47
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Beats deal just downgraded to $3Billion. But looks like a done deal. God help Apple now.

Link and link?

post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Or go up higher if Apple gets added to the Dow.  I'm not getting greedy.  I'd like to see Apple hold this level for at least a couple of weeks and continue yearly dividend increases.  Apple isn't Priceline, Tesla or Netflix so I don't expect huge gains like they get.  However, if Apple clears the $650 mark by the end of the year, I'll definitely be satisfied.  I trust Apple will do what it needs to but I don't trust the stock market at all.  There are too many profitless companies being pumped up in value and no one says a damn thing about those companies being overvalued or being ready to collapse.  It's only Apple that attracts the skeptics on its supposed imminent path of doom.

And in the pas few months you've been one of the loudest shriekers of Apple is doomed I've ever seen, bashing the company at every turn and demanding the head of the CEO, so please enough with the pathetic hypocrisy. It's "supposedly doomed" exactly because of the chorus of people like you. And you've yet to apologize for being so vile, condescending, and so wrong. What happened to Cook destroying the company? Isn't that what you've been vomitting over and over to no end?

post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Link and link?

It's just more rumor and speculation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

If I had to pray for God to help someone, I think the richest and most successful company on the planet would not be on that list.

But go on with the sensational trolling, based on a rumor of a rumor. A report yesterday said that the deal was nowhere near final and Apple had not even done its due diligence. Another said that the entire thing is fake. It may or may not be, so how the **** does anything look like a "done deal"? And even if it is, so what? Worst possible case scenario is that they threw 1.5% of their cash in the bank down the toilet, and less than a month of revenue, assuming they don't make a PENNY in the future from the acquisition. Thats less than other big tech companies spend every day.

The fact that people like you exist fascinates me. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/27/14 at 9:36pm
post #38 of 47
Bought more AAPL and GTAT shares, long Apple.
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The New York Stock Exchange, credit Carlos Delgado via Wikipedia.

Why is there a picture of NYSE? Apple is listed on NASDAQ.
post #40 of 47

IMO the first supercompany is not Apple, but the British East India Company. At its peak it handled about half of the world's trade.

And I seem to recall an apocryphal story about NeXT being the first full-robotized computer assembly plant. Can't find the reference now, should be somewhere in the Googles or interwebs.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Shares of Apple hit new 52-week high days before 7-for-1 stock split