or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple emphasizes acquisition of Beats Music streaming service in blockbuster announcement

Apple emphasizes acquisition of Beats Music streaming service in blockbuster announcement - Page 3

post #81 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Er, I use Spotify and it sure ain't free. No lots of people want to be able to stream whatever they want whenever they want which you cannot do with iTunes. It has nothing to do with wanting things for free. The iTunes model of owning music is not at the forefront of anything. If it was Apple wouldn't be spending $3B on Beats!

Spotify is free... in fact 75% of the users aren't paying to use it. Pandora which is much larger than Spotify is also free.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post

Who do you think managed supply chains for Steve Jobs? You either don't understand what supply chain means or you are clueless about Tim's role in working closely with Steve. Are you serious in you delusion that Steve created all user experiences? And what great experience have you missed out on since his death? What basis do you have that Iovine is going to provide that for you?

I'm of the mind you totally miss-read his post.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #83 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

All I can say is I hope Jony Ive understands and approves of this deal. One Jony Ive is worth 100 Dr. Dres and 50 Jimmy Iovines IMO. Good luck Apple, whatever you're doing!

Jony's sensibilities are more visual where Jimmy's is more aural.

Steve Jobs was excellent at sniffing out Bozos.
post #84 of 109
Quote:

Maybe when he's (Jony) asked to start designing Beats headphones he'll offer his resignation.

Naw, He'll make them headphones. You'll know when they are rectangular with rounded corners and only a few mm thick.

The finish will be only offered in "al-lu-men-ee-um."
post #85 of 109
Hmmmm I wonder what will happen to OEMs who license the Beats brand, like htc with its beats audio. Apple isn't known for sharing their branding
post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Couldn't Apple have hired someone for $3Bil to fix iTunes - the resource intensive hog that it is?

Some people keep saying that yet, no one ever attempts to bring some real info, as opposed to just anecdotal personal experience (which may or not be true) to the table. Activity monitor tells me a different story about iTunes.

The best quote from the whole "beats deal" was this, from Jimmy Iovine":  "See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it." Me thinks things are going to get "quite interesting" around here.  😎  You gotta love it.

Edited by newbee - 5/30/14 at 4:29am
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #87 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Hah. 110k paid users ~ $30,000 per user. 

Nicely done, Tim!

And good to know where my money go when I decide to upgrade my smartphone next time.

Perhaps you should apply for Tim Cook's position in Apple  I can see you doing a better job.../s

post #88 of 109
Tim Cook said "It's all about the music."
This leads me to believe that the beats acquisition is not about the music but rather branding for their wearables.
post #89 of 109
Quote:

What EXACTLY does it stream? Rap and Hip hop? Anything else?

Nope, that's it - not only does it only stream Hip-Hop - it only streams Dr. Dre and Interscope music. That's it!!

post #90 of 109
Quote:

Maybe when he's asked to start designing Beats headphones he'll offer his resignation.

You are losing it. I should say really losing it, because you lost it over this deal from the beginning.
post #91 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I honestly want to hear what Jony's opinion is on this matter. I remember the virtual grimace of his when discussing the skeuomorphism of certain Apple apps, pre-iOS 7.

Really? You were there?

Both of you are sick.

Edit: to be clear, I mean you and your buddy Rogifan.
Edited by Flaneur - 5/28/14 at 9:25pm
post #92 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

$3 billion to upstage Samsung?

Yeah, but these are same trolls who argue Apple has "probably" spent that much suing Samsung around the world. As if they added it up.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #93 of 109
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Really? You were there?

It’s not 1885. You don’t have to “be there”. Videos of people exist.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #94 of 109
Am I the only one that got a strange feeling seeing the pictures of Cook with Dre and Iovine? They come from different worlds. They clash, yet they are so similar in so many ways.

Apple has lacked the cool factor for years. I remember the cool iPad marketing from 10 years back. Apple's commercials are so boring now. We'll see some great marketing of the Beats brand that Apple just can't do with the iPhone. The possibilities are endless.

This acquisition will pay for itself within 2 years. I bet that Beats will have over 1mil subscribers by the next conference call.
post #95 of 109
Quote:

Nicely done, Tim!

And good to know where my money go when I decide to upgrade my smartphone next time.

This is one of the all time dumbest posts I've ever seen.

post #96 of 109

Apple has lacked the cool factor for years.

The things people pull out of their nether orifices.

post #97 of 109
Samsung has rose to the top on the shoulders of the famous. They've spent billions on marketing over the years. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Apple needs to acquire 4 large companies a year. The interest on their cash holdings alone will pay for these acquisitions.
post #98 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Nicely done, Tim!

Check the sub $'s a year from now, after Apple has spent $100 million on marketing. I just, for the first time 3 weeks ago, used a music streaming service. I signed up for the Beats free trial, and a week after I paid the $9.99. I'm a casual music listener, and I had no idea you could pay $9.99 to listen to any song anytime you want. I alays thought these services played the song they wanted and you had to sit through ads. I'm impressed, and I'll probably be a Beats customer for life.

Apple's engineering experience will close the gap with Bose, Senheiser et al very soon. So, the comments about the heavy bass and terrible sound quality should be taken with a grain of salt.
post #99 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s not 1885. You don’t have to “be there”. Videos of people exist.

Where did that come from?

That was a print interview he was referring to. One reporter, no video. Surprised you don't remember.
post #100 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

I think apple has been had by Iovine.
Unless there is some thing totally Hidden to the public.. This does not add up !

The numbers do add up. Beats has been reported to have revenue of $1.3B. Beats headphones have at least 50% margins. I'd imagine they earn over $250M a year. Not bad for a company only a few years old in a highly competitive market.

The headphone market is huge and growing, too.

The Beats model of delivering music will be the most used a few years from now.
post #101 of 109
Quote:

What EXACTLY does it stream? Rap and Hip hop? Anything else?

I had the same impression, up until I signed up for the free trial.
post #102 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You know what . . . I'm quite sure Apple knows *exactly* what they're doing. Not just "kinda", or "sorta", but EXACTLY - and to the effect that it's almost scary. This is the Apple of Tim Cook and Jony Ive. You really can't ask for a better.

If Tim cook managed Apple only half as well as he's doing now, I'd *still* be impressed.

I'd be far more worried about the perennial also-rans in this industry than Apple . . . the "well-run" organizations that *didn't* do a June 2007 or a January 2010; that didn't do an iPhone 5; that didn't do a (new) Mac Pro; that didn't even do an iPhone 5C; that didn't do an iPad Air; that didn't do an iOS 7. The list goes on. 

Apple probably knows *exactly* how that $3 billion purchase will translate into many more billions. 

True. And the billions will come from opening up another very large market, the streets. We're going from thousand of songs in your pocket to millions of songs on your head. This is about making music wearable. No wonder so many don't get it. You have to imagine the future.
post #103 of 109
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Surprised you don't remember.

Then you don’t know me very well. :lol::(

post #104 of 109
A Beats and CarPlay bundle would certainly shake things up...
post #105 of 109

In other news, King James is ordered by Samsung to cease and desist from using any Beats products.
post #106 of 109
Lowered the price to $100. But at $120 Beats had to pay Apple 30% so really the price is not lower in some senses.
post #107 of 109
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

All I can say is I hope Jony Ive understands and approves of this deal. One Jony Ive is worth 100 Dr. Dres and 50 Jimmy Iovines IMO. Good luck Apple, whatever you're doing!
Maybe when he's asked to start designing Beats headphones he'll offer his resignation.

I don't see why Jony Ive would have a problem redesigning other products, he's done the same for Leica and others.

I think Beats are already designed very well and the branding is nice too. It is unusual for Apple to maintain 3rd party branding but I think it's justified here. I expect Jony Ive will make the appropriate adjustments to the headphone design and build quality.

The comment made about retaining compatibility with Android was interesting because how could headphones be made incompatible with Android if they still use a 3.5mm jack? Beats sell wired and wireless headphones but Apple tends towards a minimal lineup. If they went all wireless, I could see some potential compatibility issues with Android if the wireless tech had some proprietary syncing.

We may not find out about the details until September as that's when the iPods usually get refreshed but I suspect there will be some drastic changes to the overall iPod segment. Turning iPods into headphones seems like a logical next step. Apple is about end-to-end models and people listen to iPods with high quality 3rd party headphones. It makes sense to me that they'd simply put the iPod inside the headphones and control the whole experience. The experience is ultimately defined by the headphones.
post #108 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Apple needs to acquire 4 large companies a year. The interest on their cash holdings alone will pay for these acquisitions.

No they don't. They can keep buying strategically like they always have.
post #109 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The comment made about retaining compatibility with Android was interesting because how could headphones be made incompatible with Android if they still use a 3.5mm jack? Beats sell wired and wireless headphones but Apple tends towards a minimal lineup. If they went all wireless, I could see some potential compatibility issues with Android if the wireless tech had some proprietary syncing.

I believe they were referring to Beats Music service.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple emphasizes acquisition of Beats Music streaming service in blockbuster announcement