or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's OS X beta hints at new iMacs amid rumors of lower-cost models

Apple's OS X beta hints at new iMacs amid rumors of lower-cost models

post #1 of 29
Code discovered in the newly released OS X 10.9.4 beta references a new iMac model, further supporting indications that Apple may debut an update to its all-in-one desktops at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

iMacs identified as "iMac15,1" and "iMac15,n" were found by Pike's Universum in the ".plist" files for power management in the latest OS X beta. These identifiers suggest a new generation of iMac, as the 2013 desktops were identified as "14,1," "14,2," and "14.3."

In addition, AppleInsider was first to discover earlier this week that estimated shipping times at Apple's online store for new iMac purchases had slipped to between 3 and 5 business days, down from the usual turnaround of 24 hours. Authorized Apple resellers are also seeing low inventory of current iMac models, all typically good indicators that an update is forthcoming.

The timing also lines up with claims from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has indicated that Apple may be planning to launch a new low-cost iMac model in the near future. With Apple's WWDC keynote set to be held next Monday, it would seem to be an opportune time for Apple to unveil a refresh to its desktop lineup.

It's believed that Apple may be preparing a cheaper model to better compete with Windows-based all-in-one desktops from HP and Lenovo. Currently, the iMac starts at $1,299 for the 21.5-inch model with a 2.7-gigahertz processor.

Kuo's report only mentioned a more affordable iMac, and did not suggest any major changes may be coming to the rest of the lineup. Therefore, it's possible that Apple may simply update the systems with faster Intel processors, and potentially sell the machines at more affordable prices.
post #2 of 29
Welcome, A8 powered iMac.
post #3 of 29
Perhaps they will come with new crappy Beats earphones as well.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Goodbye sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As apposed to what many consider to be crappy Apple EarPods?

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #5 of 29
Great. Due for a new iMac.
post #6 of 29
Due for a refreshed mini as well. Hope we see that as I'm ready to buy one.
post #7 of 29
Can they please bring back a VESA-mount retrofit (or integrated) option across the line!!
post #8 of 29
Minimal upgrades to the same old design...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #9 of 29

I'd be game for an A8 iMac. I really don't need Windows compatibility too often, and I don't do much professional work...despite owning a Mac Pro. Odd, I know.

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

post #10 of 29
I can see a "retina" iMac, using the same panel as the Dell UP2414Q monitor.
post #11 of 29

I'm due for an upgrade.  As much as I loved my BTO 2009 iMac, it's beginning to show its age... especially with the occasional creaky fans.  I've literally worn mine out, as it is my primary workhorse machine when I work from home.  It's been the best desktop "PC" I've ever owned.

So with that... what I'd like (and hope) to see in the next iMac upgrade...

8-core Haswell CPU,

Thunderbolt 2

Nice to have (but not necessary)
Retina display

I use my iMac to run several instances of Windows / Windows Server for testing and deployment.  My current iMac has a 16GB ram limitation which was enough at the time, but with all those VM's running, it gets short quickly.

Interesting that while I'm a die-hard Mac OSX fan, my iMac also happens to be the best Wintel machine yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed!! :)

post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Goodbye sales.

As apposed to what many consider to be crappy Apple EarPods?

You don't buy Apple products for headphones. Beats are CRAP. Both design and sound.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
post #13 of 29

What do you think is the smallest computer monitor for a desktop that would sell? Ten years ago 15" monitors were commonplace. The smallest one Dell sells these days is 19". 

post #14 of 29
I'd like them to tweak this latest design a little. The shape on the back is odd IMO. It needs to use more straight lines.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Due for a refreshed mini as well. Hope we see that as I'm ready to buy one.

I've been "ready" for at least six months. What the hell could they be waiting for?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #16 of 29
Mac Mini revisions are long overdue.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Beats are no longer crappy.  They are owned by Apple now. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Mac Mini revisions are long overdue.

In 2008 I waited six months for a new Mini. The current model was already a year old when I entered the market. Everybody on the forums kept saying that it would be any day because it had already been so long. My XP machine just flat out died and I couldn't wait for a Mini to materialize so I bought something else with newer processors than Apple was putting in their Minis. When October rolled around a new Mini became available. It wasn't impressive.

It was back then that I drew the conclusion that Apple was no longer a computer focused company but a phone focused company. Computers are second class products and still are. 

I wish Apple would split into parts. They could let all of the computer people work within their own division and only work on computers. They could become Apple Computer again. This way their sole focus would be on computers and the operating system without being tugged into the iPad and iPhone world when needed. They would only promote computer products and software and would be free to create new products that would enhance computers. They could introduce updates faster than in the past. 

It will probably never happen since the world of computing is changing so much these days. 

post #19 of 29

Wouldn't the first PC item for an ARM CPU be the macbook air? its the closest thing you can get to an ipad (bit like an ipad with keyboard and usb plug), then say a the mac mini given its the low cost option and the lowest option on CPU anyway.

A 4-8 socket board of A8 cpu's would be fine.

Dobby.

post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm thinking A10, probably in the Air first. 

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Beats are no longer crappy.  They are owned by Apple now. 

Oh yeah; forgot about that.

YO, BEATS RULEZZZZ!!! Not.

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I've been "ready" for at least six months. What the hell could they be waiting for?

Frustrating isn't it. Especially when Haswell is exactly what the Mini needs.
post #23 of 29

How about  new slimmer Thunderbolt display? they are waaaayyyyyy overdue for an update.

post #24 of 29
Originally Posted by ijoe View Post
How about  new slimmer Thunderbolt display? they are waaaayyyyyy overdue for an update.

Not really, when you consider the rest of their display life cycles.

I actually don’t see it changing until retina panels are available at that size, which I’m fine with. And even then it would only get as thin as the iMac case design, as the increased heat put off would necessitate a larger case.

… The iMac’s is the “larger” case in this scenario. That’s creepy. :lol:

post #25 of 29

Could Apple possibly go with an iMac Nano (15,n) that is a rebranded Mini / 17" i5 iMac? They could get rid of the headless Mac and have the price start at $799 (high vs. WinPC).

...or in the unlikely event they attack over price -- go for it at $499/599 iMac Nano 17"/no keyboard or mouse.

post #26 of 29

Ugh.  More iMacs.

Hey, Apple, how about a new Mac mini?  It's WAY overdue, and I need some new servers.  iMacs make crappy servers, and so does the current Mac "Pro".  At least I can put mirrored drives in a mini.

Even better - bring back the XServe!

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Could Apple possibly go with an iMac Nano (15,n) that is a rebranded Mini / 17" i5 iMac? They could get rid of the headless Mac and have the price start at $799 (high vs. WinPC).

...or in the unlikely event they attack over price -- go for it at $499/599 iMac Nano 17"/no keyboard or mouse.

Why?  Why would you want to get rid of the headless Mac? 

All of my TVs have Mac minis.  I have stacks of Mac mini servers.  Headless Macs are a very, very good thing.

If Apple kills the mini, I'm going to have to start selling Hackintosh servers.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

At least I can put mirrored drives in a mini.

Interesting that you bring that up. Today I was thinking about putting an SSD in my mini, then I thought about putting one in the extra drive space, then it crossed my mind that I could set them up as RAID0. I just don't know if a mini can exploit the speed. Is there any point doing it? Can the i/o keep up?

Edited by Lorin Schultz - 5/31/14 at 11:16pm

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Interesting that you bring that up. Today I was thinking about putting an SSD in my mini, then I thought about putting one in the extra drive space, then it crossed my mind that I could set them up as RAID0. I just don't know if a mini can exploit the speed. Is there any point doing it? Can the i/o keep up?

Now I'm wondering, is it even possible to configure the two drives in the mini as a RAID?

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's OS X beta hints at new iMacs amid rumors of lower-cost models