or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple rumored to debut cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s at WWDC [update: nope]

Apple rumored to debut cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s at WWDC [update: nope] - Page 2

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I think they are big in education.

2) I'd like to see an ultra-widescreen ≈31.5" 4K display which will have the same height of the 27" but be wider as to accommodate Aperture, Xcode, and many other apps better.

I'd love to see a reimagining of the old "Luxo" iMac. Large, razor sharp, super thin repositionable Retina screen and the computer and connections in the base (like a half-height Mac Pro).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #42 of 86
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
Apples newly free Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto and iWork apps together weigh in at nearly 3GB.

So? The people buying this phone aren’t the ones using those.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Kuo a well informed analyst my ass. Over half his 2013 timeline was wrong.

Still, I can buy the iPhone part of this rumor. And if it happens, you can bet the 5S will be the low-end phone come September. Which unfortunately might mean they’re actually making a 5.5” phone; ludicrous. Or they could just have two models, still at the same price points. That works.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #43 of 86

I like the update ..... nope

post #44 of 86
Dalrymple! shakes fist

Takes all the fun out of Apple rumours, he does. Still, would have been nice if he'd been able to say something about the Beats thing.

The iPhone rumour didn't make any sense, anyway. As others have said, it's the wrong conference for that announcement, expect something in August or September for the iPhone 6, or iPhone Air or whatever, and then we'll see the low end 5s, which may well be in a 5c form factor.

The new "cheaper" iMac rumour is different. It's turned up a couple of places. If Jim says "Nope", though, it's unlikely. I wouldn't have been surprised, though, if it was another massive misread of what Apple were doing. Remember how the iPhone 5c was supposed to be a cheap phone? And when it wasn't everyone went mad?
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Why would Apple do an iPhone 5S with only 8GB of memory? That make it have only about 4GB for everything else. If Apple includes an micro SD card then it makes a lot of sense but without that; it kind of worthless device.

That's my thought exactly. How the heck would they even market it?

"Look at our absolutely stunning high end device. It may be useless, but isn't it gorgeous? Just use it as a phone and nothing else. Don't take more than a few pictures, and please don't use too many of the other features we've packed into iOS8 because it's not meant for that kind of stuff. What, slow motion video? That's disabled on your device by default. 1080p? Disabled by default. Next question please!"

If they do release an 8G iPhone it's for sales and sales only. It will literally lay waste to customer satisfaction.

Can you imagine?

"Why are you plugging in your phone to update the weather app?"

"Oh, I always have to. It's the 8G model. I have to make sure I delete all my emails, pictures and stuff. Not sure why that "other" category is taking up so much of my phone... Ah crap, won't update. Someone must have texted me too many pictures. I'll have to delete my text messages".

If they take this route it's for money and money only, and it will burn them in the end one way or another. Especially when the difference between 8G and 16G is less than a dollar for you and I and were buying it after wholesale, storage and retail markup. I'm guessing it's pennies to a company who purchases it by the Ton.

The 8G chip is literally on it's way out. It's almost at the point where it cost more to manufacture it, ship it, and pay for all of the accountants who bill it than the companies can make on it.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 5/29/14 at 5:53pm
post #46 of 86
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
If they do release an 8G iPhone it's for sales and sales only. It will literally lay waste to customer satisfaction.

Or. You know. You buy the phone you want. Instead of being a moron and buying the one you don’t.

post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or. You know. You buy the phone you want. Instead of being a moron and buying the one you don’t.

Well if you're a company that puts your line on customer satisfaction, why sell something that would piss people the **** off?

No offense to you, just stating my extremely diluted opinion.
post #48 of 86
Quote:

Well if you're a company that puts your line on customer satisfaction, why sell something that would piss people the **** off?

No offense to you, just stating my extremely diluted opinion.

Why would it piss you off? I see nowhere in this now redacted rumour that they would offer an 8GB iPhone 5S and then cancel all future capacities of 16GB and higher.

Your complaint is like getting upset that the iPod Shuffle is 2GB when you want a larger capacity Nano or Touch.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #49 of 86
Quote:

Why would it piss you off. I say nowhere in this now redacted rumour that they would offer an 8GB iPhone 5S and then cancel all future capacities of 16GB and higher.

Your complain is like getting upset that the iPod Shuffle is 2GB when you want a larger capacity Nano or Touch.

Naught for nothing "Sol", but you've gotten rather abrasive as of late as I've noticed.

I'm not complaining. I can buy what I want.

I'm just thinking that putting a premium phone 'THE PREMIUM' phone and having people, normal people, not tech people get upset over buying it, is not the way to go.

It doesn't really matter what you or I think (and I've a great deal of respect for your former self). In the end what is released is released. So the consequences be weighted.

...and you don't have to compare what I said to some tech item. If you want me to spell it out I will.
post #50 of 86

I don’t get it. Do you think they will only be selling an 8GB 5S? That’s the only explanation for your complaint here.

post #51 of 86
Quote:

I don’t get it. Do you think they will only be selling an 8GB 5S? That’s the only explanation for your complaint here.

Absolutely not. I just think it would both hurt the brand and the user experience. That's all my friend.

It doesn't effect me in the least. I thought we were commenting on rumors.
post #52 of 86
I just think it would both hurt the brand and the user experience.

How? If you need more space, you’d buy a bigger one. 

post #53 of 86
Quote:

Naught for nothing "Sol", but you've gotten rather abrasive as of late as I've noticed.

I'm just thinking that putting a premium phone 'THE PREMIUM' phone and having people, normal people, not tech people get upset over buying it, is not the way to go.

It doesn't really matter what you or I think (and I've a great deal of respect for your former self). In the end what is released is released. So the consequences be weighted.

...and you don't have to compare what I said to some tech item. If you want me to spell it out I will.

You've been here since March, have 35 posts and you're already bad mouthing people?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #54 of 86
Quote:

1) In what way was I abusive?

2) No one should be upset for choosing to buy a product and having that product do exactly what it stated it could do. If it's a fault unit (which happens) then one can be upset that they drew the very rare but unlucky straw.

3) Note that Apple already sells an 8GB iPhone in several markets where subsidies are not common and income compared to the US is low. I think they even recently brought back the 8GB 4S to India(?)

4) Personally, I'm hoping that they double the capacity and make 16GB the starting point for this 8th generation iPhone (not just offer a 128GB model), especially after that last point update required over a 1GiB for many people for the download+swap space to complete the installation. That said, there is no reason for those wanting a larger capacity iPhone to be pissed (your words) about Apple selling an 8GB model. Either those markets are wanting this or it will not sell and they'll drop it, but since they dropped the 2011 iPhone 4S in September 2013 from 16GB to 8GB and then in March 2014 added an 8GB iPhone 5C it seems there is interest in certain markets for those devices.So ask yourself: Why is Apple selling them if no one wants them? Why stop selling them if they are desirable to certain customers?

post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You've been here since March, have 35 posts and you're already bad mouthing people?

1) I didn't take it as badmouthing.

2) Who knows how long he was here before creating that account, but I think that even an account since March is more than enough time for him to make an evaluation on that opinion.

post #56 of 86
Quote:

How? If you need more space, you’d buy a bigger one. 

Perhaps I'm just thinking about it the wrong way. Right now I have an iPhone 5S 64G, and an iPad Air 128G. I can completely see why an 8G anything is a waste of resources at this point. It's only the dollar that's making it special.

What I would have to ask you is, how would your experience change if you only had 8G, and almost half of that was the Operating System? Throw a few texts in there, a few pics, maybe a 'mainstream' app and what left?

Mind you that it's only my opinion, but would just think it will be a horrible user experience.

Also, you're a regular, didn't I read that they were going to do the same thing with the iPhone 4 or 4S supposedly in India or something but canceled it? ...or maybe they didn't. (Analyst cancel), I honestly am not keeping up with all the rumors.
post #57 of 86
Quote:

...if you only had 8G, and almost half of that was the Operating System?

That's not accurate.

post #58 of 86
Mind you that it's only my opinion, but would just think it will be a horrible user experience.

We don’t reflect the majority of users. Even if we did, this product wouldn’t be for us.

…they were going to do the same thing with the iPhone 4 or 4S supposedly in India or something but canceled it?

They did, for price concerns, and continued doing it. If they cancelled anything, it was because the device was old.

post #59 of 86
Quote:

1) I didn't take it as badmouthing.

2) Who knows how long he was here before creating that account, but I think that even an account since March is more than enough time for him to make an evaluation on that opinion.

Wow, I didn't think I'd have made such a stir.

I've been reading just about every post since early 2010. ...and you would be remiss if you didn't think your demeanor has changed as of late.

I don't have a single bad thing to say about you. I actually cried when I read your link and posts towards Jorgasta.

You've just been pretty rude lately, that's all. ..,and I honestly say that with the utmost respect. I'm not here to start a fight or shill (I don't even know what shilling is, but I think I get the gist).
post #60 of 86
Quote:

That's not accurate.

It's quite close. Isn't it?

How many features of iOS 7, or 8 can you take advantage of with what's left?

Honestly I don't care. Actually I do because I own some stock but not enough to hurt me. What I'm asking is, for a few pennies wouldn't it hurt the user experience quite a bit?
post #61 of 86
Quote:

Wow, I didn't think I'd have made such a stir.

I've been reading just about every post since early 2010. ...and you would be remiss if you didn't think your demeanor has changed as of late.

1) If I was being more abrasive would have I defended your comment even though I don't agree with it tto @SpamSandwich whom is a friend? I am still waiting to know what I said to you that was abrasive. If you were trolling, which you're not, I would be abrasive but that isn't new.

2) If you want to take the plunge — because I oddly can't find any reliable stats on it — you can backup and then wipe your iPhone to see how big the basic installation is. Note that you can't start with 64 GIB and then subtract what Settings » General » About says your remaining capacity because iOS lists your BASE-2 results but your capacity size, just like with a HDD, is BASE-10. You have a smidge over 64,000,000,000 bytes which means in BASE-2 format for the OS you're only starting with around 59.60 GIB so a 1.2(?) GiB will then show incorrect result in your thinking that iOS 7.x is using 5.6 GiB.

post #62 of 86
Quote:

We don’t reflect the majority of users. Even if we did, this product wouldn’t be for us.

They did, for price concerns, and continued doing it. If they cancelled anything, it was because the device was old.

What I read from that was...

"These laws don't apply to us"
post #63 of 86
What I read from that was "These laws don't apply to us"

I’ll be generous and guess that this interpretation, coupled with your lack of understanding of the word ‘shill’, means English isn’t your first language.

post #64 of 86
Quote:

What I read from that was...

"These laws don't apply to us"

Not laws, products. We are not the users that would buy an 8GB iPhone but I have plenty of family members with iPhone that barely use any space because they don't have music, videos, or really anything else that takes up a lot of space. If an 8GB iPhone was available for them I'd suggest they buy it.

post #65 of 86
Quote:

1) If I was being more abrasive would have I defended your comment even though I don't agree with it tto @SpamSandwich whom is a friend? I am still waiting to know what I said to you that was abrasive. If you were trolling, which you're not, I would be abrasive but that isn't new.

2) If you want to take the plunge — because I oddly can't find any reliable stats on it — you can backup and then wipe your iPhone to see how big the basic installation is. Note that you can't start with 64 GIB and then subtract what Settings » General » About says your remaining capacity because iOS lists your BASE-2 results but your capacity size, just like with a HDD, is BASE-10. You have a smidge over 64,000,000,000 bytes which means in BASE-2 format for the OS you're only starting with 59.60 GIB so a 1.2(?) GiB will then show incorrect result in your thinking that iOS 7.x is using 5.6 GiB.

I don't want you to defend me from anyone. ...and I read and have read all of SpamSandwich's post over the same amount of time and most of the time, besides the snarky remarks, are somewhat informative.

Why am I on the defensive? I posted my thoughts and I'm honored by your questions, and by a former moderators comments, but why really? Am I so off?

I'll take the plunge if you will. Shouldn't be too bad if we back up the phone right?
Quote:

1) In what way was I abusive?

2) No one should be upset for choosing to buy a product and having that product do exactly what it stated it could do. If it's a fault unit (which happens) then one can be upset that they drew the very rare but unlucky straw.

3) Note that Apple already sells an 8GB iPhone in several markets where subsidies are not common and income compared to the US is low. I think they even recently brought back the 8GB 4S to India(?)

4) Personally, I'm hoping that they double the capacity and make 16GB the starting point for this 8th generation iPhone (not just offer a 128GB model), especially after that last point update required over a 1GiB for many people for the download+swap space to complete the installation. That said, there is no reason for those wanting a larger capacity iPhone to be pissed (your words) about Apple selling an 8GB model. Either those markets are wanting this or it will not sell and they'll drop it, but since they dropped the 2011 iPhone 4S in September 2013 from 16GB to 8GB and then in March 2014 added an 8GB iPhone 5C it seems there is interest in certain markets for those devices.So ask yourself: Why is Apple selling them if no one wants them? Why stop selling them if they are desirable to certain customers?

Oh Crikey. I get e-mails when you respond to me directly apparently.

In your fashion,

1) you've been quite a bit harsh on people as of late. If I can look at your posting history I would advise that you do the same. Honestly, I don't mind much. It's your rep.

2). I'd mind, which I don't to be honest, if I bought a crazy expensive phone that can't do what is promised because the storage can't handle what they advertise. Have you tried it? The slow motion part? How much storage do you think you need for that!

3). Apple sells an 8G model in several markets? (Had to omit). Are they the 5S? Top of the line? Can't get better than this kind of phone?

4). I completely agree. Why sell the 8G model? It's obviously not going to appeal to the U.S. Market, and most of the other markets besides the lowest tier which can not download apps, music, movies, tv shows. In fact, in those locals that they are selling those units there is no iTunes, no App Store and really nothing at all. So my point is that announcing a product that's completely high end knowing it's limited. Why bother? So people who don't have access to any features can say they have an awesome phone? Why bother?

5). I have quite a bit of money riding on the fact that they don't release an absolutely awesome phone with extreme limitations. (I know you didn't have a five, I'm just throwing that in).
post #66 of 86
Oh Crikey. I get e-mails when you respond to me directly apparently.

You can change that. Profile/Preferences.

post #67 of 86
Quote:

Not laws, products. We are not the users that would buy an 8GB iPhone but I have plenty of family members with iPhone that barely use any space because they don't have music, videos, or really anything else that takes up a lot of space. If an 8GB iPhone was available for them I'd suggest they buy it.

Ahh, here's where my life experience come in.

My aunt is using an iPhone 3G. She has to constantly call me to "fix" her phone. She doesn't know that her phone updates apps. Unfortunately it doesn't have much space so I have to tell her to make a choice between deleting her texts, emails, or pictures to do so. She doesn't own a Mac, and she gets horrified if I tell her she needs to delete a picture sent to her in within a text. I have to go through all of them and save them to the camera roll.

I have a younger cousin who has a 4S that texts like crazy and doesn't want to delete any of them. He syncs to a net book. I have to continually tell him to back up his texts and delete them (he'll probably never see or use them but it's a main concern to him).

My Sister has an iPhone 4 that I have to manually update her apps because she downloads so many that they don't fit. I have to always ask her to choose between "so which would you rather have?"

I have two uncles who have iPhones that are constantly calling me to "fix" their phones because there's too many numbers on the "squares".

I think you're too tech minded to understand the common person. Please don't take that as an insult. I guess you just don't run into these situations.

This isn't directed towards you, but I think most of the posters on this site are very far removed from actual life and society.
post #68 of 86
Quote:

You can change that. Profile/Preferences.

Thanks bud. 1smile.gif

Maybe that could go under the informative tab that is really hard to find on this site.
post #69 of 86
Quote:

Ahh, here's where my life experience come in.

My aunt is using an iPhone 3G. She has to constantly call me to "fix" her phone. She doesn't know that her phone updates apps. Unfortunately it doesn't have much space so I have to tell her to make a choice between deleting her texts, emails, or pictures to do so. She doesn't own a Mac, and she gets horrified if I tell her she needs to delete a picture sent to her in within a text. I have to go through all of them and save them to the camera roll.

I have a younger cousin who has a 4S that texts like crazy and doesn't want to delete any of them. He syncs to a net book. I have to continually tell him to back up his texts and delete them (he'll probably never see or use them but it's a main concern to him).

My Sister has an iPhone 4 that I have to manually update her apps because she downloads so many that they don't fit. I have to always ask her to choose between "so which would you rather have?"

I have two uncles who have iPhones that are constantly calling me to "fix" their phones because there's too many numbers on the "squares".

I think you're too tech minded to understand the common person. Please don't take that as an insult. I guess you just don't run into these situations.

This isn't directed towards you, but I think most of the posters on this site are very far removed from actual life and society.

I deal with these sort of things every… single… day. I've even dealt with plenty of tech issues on this site. Having more space is not going to magically make my techtarded friends and family understand their device more than they already do, and I have to say that I think I understand the iPhone better than you do if you think that iOS takes up 4GiB of space for a fresh install.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of markets where the iPhone is too expensive for a variety of reasons that Apple has found they will have customers if they sell 8GB iPhones. This isn't speculate! This fact! And I've already stated the dates in which they introduced new 8GB iPhones. Will they continue that with the iPhone 5S which is nearing a year old? Maybe, maybe not, but if they do it's a safe bet they feel confident it will sell customer that choose that model.

post #70 of 86
Quote:

I deal with these sort of things every… single… day. I've even dealt with plenty of tech issues on this site. Having more space is not going to magically make my techtarded friends and family understand their device more than they already do, and I have to say that I think I understand the iPhone better than you do if you think that iOS takes up 4GiB of space for a fresh install.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of markets where the iPhone is too expensive for a variety of reasons that Apple has found they will have customers if they sell 8GB iPhones. This isn't speculate! This fact! And I've already stated the dates in which they introduced new 8GB iPhones. Will they continue that with the iPhone 5S which is nearing a year old? Maybe, maybe not, but if they do it's a safe bet they feel confident it will sell customer that choose that model.

Most likely you do know quite a bit more than I. I don't think I ever debated that. Perhaps in the life experience thing, which one would have to know to compare.

However, given the costs, how much could offering an 8G model on the top tier phone, TOP TIER phone, drop the price before cutting both Apple's margins and compromising user experience? If the retail cost is a dollar or so to consumers, should they drop the price of the 5S by $50? I only see a lose proposition by doing so.

I understand that they tried to dump unsold units that couldn't be sold in influential markets of older units that had older hardware. I'm just asking why an 8G 5S and why anywhere now that they can dump unsold hardware on a 5C? ...or 6C?
post #71 of 86
Quote:

However, given the costs, how much could offering an 8G model on the top tier phone, TOP TIER phone, drop the price before cutting both Apple's margins and compromising user experience? If the retail cost is a dollar or so to consumers, should they drop the price of the 5S by $50? I only see a lose proposition by doing so.

But you don't see a loss when they've offered an 8GB since 2007? The 5C, which arrived at the same time as the 5S is offered as 8GB in certain margins as of just a couple months ago. And if you're concerned about the compromising the UX then the 5C mostly with components form 2012 is definitely going to run slower and have less features than the 5C so its UX would be worse than the 5S.

As for this rumour, I'll mention it again. It's been updated to say it's not accurate so there is absolutely no reason to feel pissed unless you're going to feel pissed because Apple has offered an 8GB phone for in every model except for the iPhone 5 and 5S but the 5s is still within its first year on the market and the iPhone 5 was canceled after a year and replaced with the 5C which does have an 8GB model.

Now if Apple does offer an 8GB iPhone 5S for India and/or China before there is an 8th gen iPhone don't you think they would have had a reason to do so? Remember that China Mobile has massive pull because of the number of subscribers so if Apple feels that an 8GB iPhone will sell well there they would be fools to do it. Our anecdotal experiences mean nothing!
Quote:
I understand that they tried to dump unsold units that couldn't be sold in influential markets of older units that had older hardware. I'm just asking why an 8G 5S and why anywhere now that they can dump unsold hardware on a 5C? ...or 6C?

That isn't accurate. There was no dumping of unsold units. They specifically made 8GB iPhones for those markets. There was no one going into iPhone boxes, then prying opens iPhone and then removing NAND so it would be 8GB. Those devices were designed to be 8GB.

PS: My 16GB Retina iPad Mini (T-Mobile), which I have over 9GiB available, appears to use 2.2GiB for iOS v7.1.1. I deduced this by taking the 16GB starting point, then converting to BASE-2 to get 14.9GiB, then minus the capacity listing of 12.7GiB to get 2.2GiB. My 16GB iPhone 5S (AT&T) has a capacity of 12.8GiB which means that iOS v7.1.1 is 2.1GiB. For an 8GB iPhone 5S running iOS v7.1.1 it will have a 7.45GiB capacity, and if we assume the same size OS as on my iPhone we get 5.35GiB remaining for the user. 2.1GiB is not half, it's 28%, slightly over a quarter. Now I don't think 5.35GiB is a lot of space — even though that's fine for my iPad — and I think that last update was far too bulky compared to their past OS releases, but the bottom line is we are not the intended market for these devices so Apple selling an 8GB iPhone 5C just two months ago is not Apple being jerks to their customers.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/30/14 at 12:29am

post #72 of 86
Quote:

But you don't see a loss when they've offered an 8GB since 2007? The 5C, which arrived at the same time as the 5S is offered as 8GB in certain margins as of just a couple months ago. And if you're concerned about the compromising the UX then the 5C mostly with components form 2012 is definitely going to run slower and have less features than the 5C so its UX would be worse than the 5S.

As for this rumour, I'll mention it again. It's been updated to say it's not accurate so there is absolutely no reason to feel pissed unless you're going to feel pissed because Apple has offered an 8GB phone for in every model except for the iPhone 5 and 5S but the 5s is still within its first year on the market and the iPhone 5 was canceled after a year and replaced with the 5C which does have an 8GB model.

Now if Apple does offer an 8GB iPhone 5S for India and/or China before there is an 8th gen iPhone don't you think they would have had a reason to do so? Remember that China Mobile has massive pull because of the number of subscribers so if Apple feels that an 8GB iPhone will sell well there they would be fools to do it. Our anecdotal experiences mean nothing!
That isn't accurate. There was no dumping of unsold units. They specifically made 8GB iPhones for those markets. There was no one going into iPhone boxes, then prying opens iPhone and then removing NAND so it would be 8GB. Those devices were designed to be 8GB.

PS: My 16GB Retina iPad Mini (T-Mobile), which I have over 9GiB available, appears to use 2.2GiB for iOS v7.1.1. I deduced this by taking the 16GB starting point, then converting to BASE-2 to get 14.9GiB, then minus the capacity listing of 12.7GiB to get 2.2GiB. My 16GB iPhone 5S (AT&T) has a capacity of 12.8GiB which means that iOS v7.1.1 is 2.1GiB. For an 8GB iPhone 5S running iOS v7.1.1 it will have a 7.45GiB capacity, and if we assume the same size OS as on my iPhone we get 5.35GiB remaining for the user. 2.1GiB is not half, it's 28%, slightly over a quarter. Now I don't think 5.35GiB is a lot of space — even though that's fine for my iPad — and I think that last update was far too bulky compared to their past OS releases, but the bottom line is we are not the intended market for these devices so Apple selling an 8GB iPhone 5C just two months ago is not Apple being jerks to their customers.

I'm kind of all done with this. I appreciate your perspective but I'm done. I think I started with an innocent comment, perhaps I didn't. I'm neither well versed or well equipped to continue but I thank you.
post #73 of 86
Quote:

I'm kind of all done with this. I appreciate your perspective but I'm done. I think I started with an innocent comment, perhaps I didn't. I'm neither well versed or well equipped to continue but I thank you.

It's not a perspective when I'm giving you numbers that you can verify. It's not my opinion that iOS isn't 4GiB, it's a simple fact.

post #74 of 86
Quote:

You'd be surprised how many people don't know what the storage space actually means. They get a rough explanation from the phone salesperson and buy what they think they can afford. They only find out later when they realize what they CAN'T do.

Calling someone a moron because they don't know much about tech is like calling a tech person a moron for buying a crappy parachute to go skydiving. Your view is a little one sided my friend. That said, I do however think people should research what they're buying. Unfortunately most people don't. And most people don't understand the polar views when it comes to Apple VS. Other devices by those who do know tech. They literally have no clue that their salesperson could be extremely biased.
post #75 of 86
You'd be surprised how many people don't know what the storage space actually means.

“Capacity” and “memory” can be confusing… if you don’t take any time to learn anything whatsoever about them at all. One sentence from a clerk; that’s all you need. 

“Capacity is storage–how much you can put on the device; memory is, roughly, how much you can do at once.”

post #76 of 86
Quote:

“Capacity” and “memory” can be confusing… if you don’t take any time to learn anything whatsoever about them at all. One sentence from a clerk; that’s all you need. 

“Capacity is storage–how much you can put on the device; memory is, roughly, how much you can do at once.”

O.k. My friend I get it and you get it. We don't need definitions on a tech site. My point was that the average consumer doesn't understand what it means. Also that the supposed average consumer may mean the life or death of you in the right circumstances. Just don't call them morons.

Perhaps I've seen too much or lived too much, but I have a lot of empathy. It might be the death of me at some point.
post #77 of 86
My point was that the average consumer doesn't understand what it means.

Guess you didn’t read the post.

Also that the supposed average consumer may mean the life or death of you in the right circumstances. Just don't call them morons.

“ALL RIGHT!” the man said, pointing his gun at the other customer. “I’ve had enough snark out of you! I demand you tell me the difference between capacity and memory!”

“Look, buddy, I got this shirt on eBay; I don’t work here…” he began, but the other man hit him with his gun.

“I’ll give you to the count of eight. Or should I say one? I DON’T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!” he screamed, pulling the hammer back despite his gun being an automatic.

“I… I said it already!” said the second man. “Capacity is storage–how much you can put on the device; memory is, roughly, how much you can do at once.

The gun slowly moved from between the customer’s eyes and the expression on the first man’s face relaxed.

“Oh,” he said. "Guess I didn’t hear you before. And the moron bit?”

“Not you personally,” said the customer. “The uneducated masses in general, of which you’re not now a part.”

“Well, then,” said the man. “Think they’ll let me take an iPhone 6 into jail?”

Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/31/14 at 9:54pm

post #78 of 86
Quote:

O.k. My friend. I get it and you get it. My point was and is that the average consumer doesn't understand.
Quote:

Guess you didn’t read the post.

“ALL RIGHT!” the man said, pointing his gun at the other customer. “I’ve had enough snark out of you! I demand you tell me the difference between capacity and memory!”
“Look, buddy, I got this shirt on eBay; I don’t work here…” he began, but the other man hit him with his gun.
“I’ll give you to the count of eight. Or should I say one? I DON’T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!” he screamed, pulling the hammer back despite his gun being an automatic.
“I… I said it already!” said the second man. “Capacity is storage–how much you can put on the device; memory is, roughly, how much you can do at once.
The gun slowly moved from between the customer’s eyes and the 
expression on the first man’s face relaxed.

“Oh,” he said. Guess I didn’t hear you before. And the moron bit?”

“Not you personally,” said the customer. 
“The uneducated masses in general, of which you’re not now a part.”

“Well, then,” 
said the man. 
“Think they’ll let me take an iPhone 6 into jail?”

If I were still enlisted I'd have shot him long before that last line... ...and I would have tried to educate anyone severing under me about what transpired.

I've noticed we try to cheat everyone here on home soil. It's sickening.
post #79 of 86
...and I would have tried to educate anyone severing under me about what transpired.

“Why am I being arrested? He was snotty to me, I tell you! That’s grounds for murder!”

post #80 of 86
Quote:

“Why am I being arrested? He was snotty to me, I tell you! That’s grounds for murder!”

You only get arrested because of U.S. Law. Elsewhere you wouldn't have the chance to ask why.

...and if you were murdered somewhere other than the U.S., by whom? Who could show you were killed?

You would be considered lucky to be captured by U.S. Soldiers instead of local authorities. At the very least you would be fed (not killed), housed and our internal justice system works externally in foreign nations. You wouldn't have any phone, or any electronic during that time though. Not that anyone ever does.

So no worries about an iPhone 6. Also, most of those leaked pictures are coming from people who are literally putting their life on the line. You don't understand how little the government over there considers their citizens. A lot of people will die because of Tim's concern about security. Literally, get caught and die.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple rumored to debut cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s at WWDC [update: nope]